Why should I use Krill Oil?

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found this question very interesting since I've seen various Krill supplements while I'm shopping at Costco, and then see Fish Oil right next to it for half the price and double the servings. Is Krill really that good that it's worth the price difference?

So I went on-line and looked up various studies and other information on Krill Oil vs. Fish Oil (several threads on here too). I just wanted to share what I found, and see if anyone is wondering the same thing or has other insights.

Right now I'm taking 1,000mg Krill oil, 500mg AM and 500mg PM. I used to take 10,000-15,000mg Fish Oil.

Any thoughts on adding Krill as a staple supplement?

I also heard it's actually best to take Krill WITH Fish Oil so you can get the benefits of Krill and optimum EPA/DHA doses. Any thoughts on this?

Benefits of Krill vs. Fish Oil (from my limited research)
0. No fish burps, ever.

1. Guaranteed Purity - no PCB or heavy metals due to Krill only eating algae and not other fish.

2. Better Absorption - DHA/EPA in Krill is attached as a phsospholipid (the kind in your cells), and so it absorbs more readily as opposed to regular fish oil.

3. Contains a Strong Antioxidant Astaxanthin - Research has shown a lot of good effects, including accelerated fat burning, greater fat loss, and enhanced endurance. Astaxanthin protects the system that transports fat into the mitochondria of muscle cells (also the system carnitine is involved in, good for stacking).

4. Better Cholesterol Support - Krill has been shown to reduce cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels in rats given krill oil for six weeks as compared to those just getting fish oil (35% reduction for cholesterol vs. 20%, and 20% reduction for triglycerides vs. 10%). So basically twice as effective.

5. Reduces Symptoms of PMS - Got some Krill for my wife, she appreciated the thought, I appreciated the effects!

6. Renewable Source - largest bio-mass in the ocean, no chance of over-harvesting (Capt. Planet would be proud).

7. Others?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Learn something every day!

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've learned a lot about Krill oil lately myself. A lot of good benefits for sure. I will be making the switch soon. ;)

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Good post. I think Im going to make the transition sometime soon

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Interesting post! Thanks, will definitely read up more about this, please update if you find more information :)

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
very informative post here.I'm an old school kinda guy when it comes to some of my supplements but after reading this I'll give krill oil a fair shot in the future. reps for you sir.

edit:I gotta spread first before I can rep again.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's a good study on Krill vs Fish.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18072818
University of California, Berkeley, California, USA.

Abstract

The omega-3 fatty acids docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) are orthomolecular, conditionally essential nutrients that enhance quality of life and lower the risk of premature death. They function exclusively via cell membranes, in which they are anchored by phospholipid molecules. DHA is proven essential to pre- and postnatal brain development, whereas EPA seems more influential on behavior and mood. Both DHA and EPA generate neuroprotective metabolites. In double-blind, randomized, controlled trials, DHA and EPA combinations have been shown to benefit attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD), autism, dyspraxia, dyslexia, and aggression. For the affective disorders, meta-analyses confirm benefits in major depressive disorder (MDD) and bipolar disorder, with promising results in schizophrenia and initial benefit for borderline personality disorder. Accelerated cognitive decline and mild cognitive impairment (MCI) correlate with lowered tissue levels of DHA/EPA, and supplementation has improved cognitive function. Huntington disease has responded to EPA. Omega-3 phospholipid supplements that combine DHA/EPA and phospholipids into the same molecule have shown marked promise in early clinical trials. Phosphatidylserine with DHA/EPA attached (Omega-3 PS) has been shown to alleviate AD/HD symptoms. Krill omega-3 phospholipids, containing mostly phosphatidylcholine (PC) with DHA/EPA attached, markedly outperformed conventional fish oil DHA/EPA triglycerides in double-blind trials for premenstrual syndrome/dysmenorrhea and for normalizing blood lipid profiles. Krill omega-3 phospholipids demonstrated anti-inflammatory activity, lowering C-reactive protein (CRP) levels in a double-blind trial. Utilizing DHA and EPA together with phospholipids and membrane antioxidants to achieve a triple cell membrane synergy may further diversify their currently wide range of clinical applications.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice info about the benefits with EPA/DHA and krill specifically. A lot of overlooked health benefits

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good information Milas. I only take fish oil when I cycle (bad habit). But I'll make the switch to Krill for my next cycle and see how that goes.

amandabaileys

amandabaileys

Awards
Krill oil also helped reduce liver fat levels by 60 percent, with fish oil only accounting for 38 percent. Fat build up in the liver is associated with insulin insensitivity and type 2 diabetes.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I found this question very interesting since I've seen various Krill supplements while I'm shopping at Costco, and then see Fish Oil right next to it for half the price and double the servings. Is Krill really that good that it's worth the price difference?

So I went on-line and looked up various studies and other information on Krill Oil vs. Fish Oil (several threads on here too). I just wanted to share what I found, and see if anyone is wondering the same thing or has other insights.

Right now I'm taking 1,000mg Krill oil, 500mg AM and 500mg PM. I used to take 10,000-15,000mg Fish Oil.

Any thoughts on adding Krill as a staple supplement?

I also heard it's actually best to take Krill WITH Fish Oil so you can get the benefits of Krill and optimum EPA/DHA doses. Any thoughts on this?

Benefits of Krill vs. Fish Oil (from my limited research)
0. No fish burps, ever.

1. Guaranteed Purity - no PCB or heavy metals due to Krill only eating algae and not other fish.

2. Better Absorption - DHA/EPA in Krill is attached as a phsospholipid (the kind in your cells), and so it absorbs more readily as opposed to regular fish oil.

3. Contains a Strong Antioxidant Astaxanthin - Research has shown a lot of good effects, including accelerated fat burning, greater fat loss, and enhanced endurance. Astaxanthin protects the system that transports fat into the mitochondria of muscle cells (also the system carnitine is involved in, good for stacking).

4. Better Cholesterol Support - Krill has been shown to reduce cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels in rats given krill oil for six weeks as compared to those just getting fish oil (35% reduction for cholesterol vs. 20%, and 20% reduction for triglycerides vs. 10%). So basically twice as effective.

5. Reduces Symptoms of PMS - Got some Krill for my wife, she appreciated the thought, I appreciated the effects!

6. Renewable Source - largest bio-mass in the ocean, no chance of over-harvesting (Capt. Planet would be proud).

7. Others?
LOL, I just caught this little gem. The theme song started running through my head. C'mon guys help take pollution down to zero!

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The mullet did it for me...

HealthBlitz

HealthBlitz

Awards
Milas,
Great and informative post. I've been a huge believer of omega-3s for years and have seen the benefits in my triglyceride levels and joint pain. Omega-3 is one of the supps I think everyone should take. I have used fish oil, krill, and flax seed oil. I will add that I don't think the sustainability issue of krill has been fully settled yet. Yes, there's a lot of krill, but some of the harvesting is happening in areas that are feeding grounds of whales and other marine mammals. The impact of this needs further study. I am in the supplement industry and have attended many trade shows where I've spoken with both sides on this specific issue and I think a clear answer is years away.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting to know about the sustainability of Krill. The antarctic biomass of Krill is GINORMOUS from what I've read. Kind of shocking that it could be depleted, even with whale feeding on it. I'll have to look more into that.

Regardless, I completely agree, omega-3s should be an essential part of everyone's diet and supplementation. If you value health and want to live longer in a more active state, then it's one of those things you MUST do. I like to make sure I cover my bases, so I am incorporating all three fish, krill and flax oil into my daily plan.

The other few products I think are staples for living a good, long life are ALCAR, Na-R-ALA, and a greens powder (greens aren't necessary, more of a precaution for me). The rest is up to healthy and diverse diet and exercise.

Do you have any other pearls of wisdom since you're in the industry?

HealthBlitz

HealthBlitz

Awards
On krill sustainability, I don't think the issue is the amount of krill, it's more where they are harvesting.

I don't have too many pearls of wisdom, since the Internet seems to make info available to everyone and when something new comes out there's a rush to market, so there are few secrets. Here's some things I've noticed though:
1) Science is driving a lot....nearly every vendor I talk to has studies backing their supplements
2) I've talked to several vendors who tell me their best sellers include fat burners and boner pills!
3) Growing popularity of exotic antioxidants, such as the super-fruit stuff we see
4) Anti-aging stuff is big, maybe because of all the baby boomers?

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

Interestingly, I think our supplement strategies for general health are pretty close. I believe in taking 1) A multi, 2) Omega-3, 3) some sort of nutrient dense supplement that includes antioxidants (e.g. spirulina, chlorella, moringafolia, bee propolis.....I haven't settled on one). Then on top of this I add any special supplements for maladies, such as cissus for joint pain (I am old!).

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, sounds like we're about right on staples. I forgot to mention a multi-v, but that is also a staple for me. Why no ALCAR or Na-R-ALA (or even just ALA) for you? I keep ALCAR because I really want to remain mentally aware into old age, and Na-R-ALA is just all around good from anti-oxidant to metabolism.

The anti-aging is probably related to boomers, I've seen a lot more about GH related supplements recently, and HRT.

You may be old, but you deadlift like a beast, so that makes you a great person (assuming pic is you)!