MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
is the monster mash you are referring to the stuff from The Vertical Diet?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
is the monster mash you are referring to the stuff from The Vertical Diet?
It is, I have not bought any of his books or anything so I don’t know exactly what he has in it. I watched some YouTube videos and thought I’d make a batch to eat quick and easy this week.
Made rice in the rice maker, I used the chicken stock as water. Cooked up ground beef on the griddle. Cooked up some baby carrots and chopped them up and added to the ground beef. Then just mix in a big bowl with salt added.

when I heat up a bowl I add a couple big scoops of low fat unflavored Greek yogurt to it a mix it up. It has really been hitting the spot lately.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It is, I have not bought any of his books or anything so I don’t know exactly what he has in it. I watched some YouTube videos and thought I’d make a batch to eat quick and easy this week.
Made rice in the rice maker, I used the chicken stock as water. Cooked up ground beef on the griddle. Cooked up some baby carrots and chopped them up and added to the ground beef. Then just mix in a big bowl with salt added.

when I heat up a bowl I add a couple big scoops of low fat unflavored Greek yogurt to it a mix it up. It has really been hitting the spot lately.
I think everything but the yogurt is pretty pretty much right. He uses chicken bone broth for the extra collagen, but that is pretty much what stock is if you use the bones to make your stock. He tries to pull out anything that a lot of people have issues with, dairy being one of them.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think everything but the yogurt is pretty pretty much right. He uses chicken bone broth for the extra collagen, but that is pretty much what stock is if you use the bones to make your stock. He tries to pull out anything that a lot of people have issues with, dairy being one of them.
Yeah it is good, I enjoy the Greek yogurt it’s like adding sour cream.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah it is good, I enjoy the Greek yogurt it’s like adding sour cream.
Oh yeah, I love adding greek yogurt, and if you don't have any issues with dairy, it is a damn good option. I was putting greek yogurt in several of my meals before I started working with my coach and have a set meal plan. He pretty much has me on an elimination style diet to keep things easy to digest and my stomach working efficiently without anything that might make it struggle. Once the competition is over unless I choose to compete again, I will be going back to a more relaxed but still structured diet, just with more options. Simple things like swapping out meat options, adding back in some yogurt and things like that will be very nice.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The Vertical Diet does feature Greek yogurt daily for the probiotic - most people who have issues with dairy don’t with that. He also includes hard cheeses for people that tolerate them well, for another calcium source besides the yogurt.

I have the pdf for anyone interested; you can easily find the pdf free to download if you search for it.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The Vertical Diet does feature Greek yogurt daily for the probiotic - most people who have issues with dairy don’t with that. He also includes hard cheeses for people that tolerate them well, for another calcium source besides the yogurt.

I have the pdf for anyone interested; you can easily find the pdf free to download if you search for it.
I realized that shortly after I said it that wait i think it did have some in it but he said don't use it if you have lactose issues. I am sending him a copy of mine once I get home but if anyone needs it they can reach out to one of us or find a free download on the web easily.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Day 4/week 5 / phase 2
Gym time 2 pm -3pm
Pre workout 1 scoop all out ultra/3 caps Endoamp max

Deadlift (67.5%)
225lbs x8 x8 x8 x8

Romanian Deadlift (6-8 rpe)
185lbs x8 x8 x8

good mornings
135lbs x8 x8 x8

BB bent over row
115lbs x12 x12 x12 x12

seated leg curl
100lbs x12 x12 x12 x12

Ab machine
120lbs x12 x12 x12 x12

various curls for vanity pump

really off after good mornings felt like I started to go hypo, I went and got a Gatorade and sipping and walked a few laps felt better but lost some energy. Kinda odd because had a monster mash at like 11 and pretty hydrated. Not sure what went on, this was a very taxing session sweating like crazy.

I know it’s nothing huge but I’m pretty happy with my self this week. Not really a busy week but schedule is pretty all over with everything and sleep well, those that know, know 😂 newborn stage up every 2-3 hrs. Been keeping everything in order so the wife can recover and rest. Then being able to stay on schedule with the gym this week was just a nice cherry on top. Life is good 🍻🙏🏻

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am so happy for you, and glad to see you enjoying the gym - I just want to caution that you with the worse sleep and extra stress (even good stress & lots of love!) you do have slower recovery. So if you feel you are more sore, and need more days between training sessions - take them! You can optimally train as much as you can recover from. You can do more, but you will not get more - you will get worse or hurt. So if that means a 4/5-day/wk split gets rotated over 2-3 actual training days a week, that is actually the best way to get stronger! This is how guys like Stan Efferding and Chad Aiches broke both all-time squat and total records.

I caution this because I tried to start training for a meet too soon after my son was born, and threw my back out on some heavy deadlifts. I just wasn’t ready for the rigors of a meet prep with the 100 extra back bends a day I was doing changing diapers and getting up and down from the ground with a baby. I wish someone had just told me to slow down and pace the training!

Just giving you some external permission on days you don’t feel ready, to just do some cardio and take another night of “sleep”!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am so happy for you, and glad to see you enjoying the gym - I just want to caution that you with the worse sleep and extra stress (even good stress & lots of love!) you do have slower recovery. So if you feel you are more sore, and need more days between training sessions - take them! You can optimally train as much as you can recover from. You can do more, but you will not get more - you will get worse or hurt. So if that means a 4/5-day/wk split gets rotated over 2-3 actual training days a week, that is actually the best way to get stronger! This is how guys like Stan Efferding and Chad Aiches broke both all-time squat and total records.

I caution this because I tried to start training for a meet too soon after my son was born, and threw my back out on some heavy deadlifts. I just wasn’t ready for the rigors of a meet prep with the 100 extra back bends a day I was doing changing diapers and getting up and down from the ground with a baby. I wish someone had just told me to slow down and pace the training!

Just giving you some external permission on days you don’t feel ready, to just do some cardio and take another night of “sleep”!
Absolutely a good point, I was just talking to the wife about this the other day. Right now it’s manageable because I can get naps in and going the afternoon. When I get back to real life and will have to be up early it might be one day on one day rest etc etc.

Very good points though!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some great advice there from @Hyde!

As far as a meal, I am not sure what the macros were on that meal, but unless pretty high fight, a pre-workout meal 3 hours ahead of the workout is just a bit too long for a hard workout that uses as much muscle as a dead lift / back day. That is a lot of machinery that needs fueled all at once, and if decently low fat, not crazy high in protein the odds that you are going to have a lot of blood sugar circulating for the session is going to be very low. Great if you are trying to deplete during a session, but horrible for performance goals. Personally before back, or lower body work I would do my best to have my food within 2 hours, and if not possible then make an intra drink that has some carbs, glutamine, and or BCAA/EEA's. If nothing else, and you find yourself in that situation start drinking a gatorade or how ever you want to supply some easily digested carbs just before the session and throughout. If the focus is just maintaining muscle while burning fat then maybe just the BCAA/EEA's and 10g glutamine would do the trick better than nothing but still allow for more fat loss during training. Just some stuff t think about.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Some great advice there from @Hyde!

As far as a meal, I am not sure what the macros were on that meal, but unless pretty high fight, a pre-workout meal 3 hours ahead of the workout is just a bit too long for a hard workout that uses as much muscle as a dead lift / back day. That is a lot of machinery that needs fueled all at once, and if decently low fat, not crazy high in protein the odds that you are going to have a lot of blood sugar circulating for the session is going to be very low. Great if you are trying to deplete during a session, but horrible for performance goals. Personally before back, or lower body work I would do my best to have my food within 2 hours, and if not possible then make an intra drink that has some carbs, glutamine, and or BCAA/EEA's. If nothing else, and you find yourself in that situation start drinking a gatorade or how ever you want to supply some easily digested carbs just before the session and throughout. If the focus is just maintaining muscle while burning fat then maybe just the BCAA/EEA's and 10g glutamine would do the trick better than nothing but still allow for more fat loss during training. Just some stuff t think about.
Just ordered up a tub of Allmax carbs + electrolytes/hydration powder to start taking with me in the mornings. Might not be the best but was on sale and figured I’d give it a try.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just ordered up a tub of Allmax carbs + electrolytes/hydration powder to start taking with me in the mornings. Might not be the best but was on sale and figured I’d give it a try.
View attachment 243484
Honestly it’s not bad at all, without knowing the price per serving. Looks like ~50/50 HBCD and slower release dextrose. And the sodium:potassium is a much more hydrating 2:1. That’s gonna blow the doors off something like regular Gatorade powder; I bet you love it.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

@Hyde I’m interested in that PDF. PM me if you need to send it to me by email.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Honestly it’s not bad at all, without knowing the price per serving. Looks like ~50/50 HBCD and slower release dextrose. And the sodium:potassium is a much more hydrating 2:1. That’s gonna blow the doors off something like regular Gatorade powder; I bet you love it.
24.98 for 30 servings so yeah pretty cheap per serving. That is why I wasn’t so sure if it was decent ( also don’t know what I’m looking for on the profile) so I’ll be exited to give it a go.