Should I add another weights session or some cardio?

CAL83

CAL83

Awards
Currently training with the following split:

Push
Pull
Legs

Generally I am doing this 3 times a week, occasionally I get 4 sessions in. I rotate my exercise every 4/6 weeks. Currently eating just above maintenance, hitting my macros nicely. I have gained 4kgs but increased strength and muscle mass. I will be dropping into a gradual calorie deficit for 4 weeks then plan to then do a harsher mini cut for 3/4 weeks before a summer vacation. Generally my diet and nutrition is on point.

Objective is to lean out, reduce body fat for holiday. Ideally 10% body fat, similar to my profile picture.

I would like to add either an additional weights session (full upper body) or an hour of cardio.

What would people here do if given the chance. An extra hour of cardio a week or a weights session?

Any advice welcome.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your trying to cut more cardio. I wouldn’t add more volume. If anything I’d reduce the number of sets done on a strict cut. In a slight deficit you can keep it the same but the last four wees you said your going to increase the deficit I’d lower the volume or intensity. I personally like to keep intensity high and drop volume. So I still push hard but do a few less sets. Others like to reduce intensity.

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would go with cardio since you didnt mention you do any now?
Yes, I agree... your heart is the most important muscle. With that being said, just know that the cardio you get from deadlifts is phenomenal!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It is honestly preference at that point.

I will say going from none to an hour of cardio immediately will be tough unless it is pretty low intensity.

Losing the weight will be more based on your diet adding in an additional session won't shift it a ton, so just do what you'd prefer.

When I go to drop weight I usually just keep the training pretty similar, but watch my steps and use that as a proxy to make sure my activity levels don't drop as the calories go down. Adding a daily short walk can be an easy way to offset any loss to calorie expenditure as you diet while getting some easy cardio in too.

Yes, I agree... your heart is the most important muscle. With that being said, just know that the cardio you get from deadlifts is phenomenal!
Physiological adaptations to deadlifting and lifting in general are not going to be the same as various other forms of cardio. Depending on goals and preferences other options may need to be looked at.