Weights up, scales down…

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve really got boiling plain chicken breast down to a science. I mean, I throw them in the pot of water and in 30 minutes I’ve got unseasoned bike tire ready to train my jaw muscles for hours.
Save time and jaw. Throw in blender like Blaine Sumner.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Save time and jaw. Throw in blender like Blaine Sumner.
I actually have boiled chicken before and done this, but you need to really commit to a lot of shakes because it’s basically inedible besides drinking.

Also, if you use warm water and put parmesan and herbs/spices in the shake it’s kind of like drinking a soup.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gym time 5 am
I won’t lmy warm up weights before each lift.
warmups1. 30 rep max for 12 reps
warmups 2. 20 rep max for 8 reps
Warmups 3. 10 rep max for 4 reps

flat DB bench-50x10x8/2 RIR slow and stretch

Incline medium grip bench-95x8x6/ 2 RIR slow and stretch

wide grip pull-ups-100lb assist x8x8

rope cable overhead Tricep extension-30x15x11/2 RIR slow and stretch

Rope cable Tricep push down-30x12x12/ 2 RIR slow and stretch (burn and pump was intense)

ez bar curls-50x10x8x8/ 2 RIR slow and stretch drop set DB hammer curls 15x12x12x10

DB lateral raises-10x10x10x8/ 2 RIR slow and stretch ( I stayed super strict this was the hardest set I have ever done 😂)

I’ve come to realize how sub par my previous training has been, hopefully now that I’m starting to learn I will start to grow.

I repeat over and over in my head partial reps don’t count, slow down, stretch,squeeze, no swinging weights.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keep in mind it is very hard to grow while you are leaning up. It isn't that you can't grow, but if doing it naturally with enough deficit to bring the weight down quickly you are not likely to grow much until you are at maintenance or a surplus. Obviously good training improves your odds but keep the expectations of muscle gain relatively minimal until you have reached a composition you are comfortable starting to focus on building from. Your current fasting may help with that though if your training days are at maintenance or slightly above.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Keep in mind it is very hard to grow while you are leaning up. It isn't that you can't grow, but if doing it naturally with enough deficit to bring the weight down quickly you are not likely to grow much until you are at maintenance or a surplus. Obviously good training improves your odds but keep the expectations of muscle gain relatively minimal until you have reached a composition you are comfortable starting to focus on building from. Your current fasting may help with that though if your training days are at maintenance or slightly above.
That is true I should have worded that differently. It feels like I’m growing because I can see more muscle under its warm cozy fat layers it’s been snuggling in 😂

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is true I should have worded that differently. It feels like I’m growing because I can see more muscle under its warm cozy fat layers it’s been snuggling in 😂
Oh I am sure you are stimulating the muscle very well. I am getting great pumps and feeling the sessions for a couple of days even if I don't get sore I can feel the difference when still recovering. I would agree you will make better progress with a sound program that keeps you increasing volume and load the way this one does. You will probably either gain more than you would have or maintain more than you would have during the cut. Either way, I would definitely expect improved outcome.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You are an inspiration !!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I actually have boiled chicken before and done this, but you need to really commit to a lot of shakes because it’s basically inedible besides drinking.

Also, if you use warm water and put parmesan and herbs/spices in the shake it’s kind of like drinking a soup.
I bet doing it all in a bone broth would actually be good. Hmmmmm….. I might try this sometime.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yum!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gym time 8 am

I won’t list my warm up weights before each lift.

leg extension- 100x14x12

cable pull through-50x14x12

lying leg curl-110x10

seated calve- 75x12x10/ drop set 90x8x5x5/135x5/45x10

cable shrug-70x12x12

barbell wrist curl-60x15x10x10

24 hr fast today wife wants smoked meatloaf for dinner so I have that going. Rotated the tires on the trucks went to a local park for a walk pretty nice day!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have never had Smoked Meatloaf, but it sounds very good !!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Had a bunch of older ground beef that needed to be used up so this week lunch meals are ground beef/sweet potato/ broccoli

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I have never had that before either, but I do love some good meatloaf.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did a quick run to Costco for supplies. Got home started cleaning vacuuming the normal Sunday routine, head to the kitchen to get some water and noticed the carpet was wet in the hallway. Looked up and water running out of the ceiling 😂
We are renting a townhouse so I called maintenance, happy Sunday 😂

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is one of are favorites!!
My wife makes a great Meatloaf, Maybe I'll have her make one and get my Son-In-Law to smoke it !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gym time 8 am

incline DB bench-45x10x10

bench barbell-140x10x8

T bar row-55x11x9

ez bar skull crusher- 60x10x9

Tricep rope pushdown-25x9x9

cable curls-25x11x11x11

barbell shrugs-140x12x12x12

another great session in the books. Added in some neck work between sets on skull crusher. I was supposed to bench barbell first but **** was occupied so I had to DB first. I was taxing on barbell bench think I had my warm ups a little to heavy and not enough rest before working sets. Also someone in the gym had fogged themselves in axe phoenix body spray, it was so strong and distracting.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Also I haven’t made any weight loss progress in the last 2 weeks I have been eating almost maintenance level and only 1 fast in there. Lowest was 241 5/21 been staying 242-243. This week I will drop calories slightly and up my steps, next goal is 239.

easier for me to see my progress since I can look back at older pictures. Definitely slimming up and looking better. Still a long way to go but I’m happy with the progress thus far.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have extra respect for those who train there neck !!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
definitely showing progress since your May photo. everything is recomping for sure

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you are right on track and have a good plan man. Maintaining after a 10lb drop is great. Cutting calories and increasing steps is a great next step. Keep up the good work!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have extra respect for those who train there neck !!
Sounds like you are right on track and have a good plan man. Maintaining after a 10lb drop is great. Cutting calories and increasing steps is a great next step. Keep up the good work!
yes I’ve been happy to stay on track and hold and now start to drop again that seemed to work well for me before hand as well. Also gives me a little more energy and fuel for the meso.

are you changing your next mesocycle? I was thinking today about doing the same cycle next go around because I want to bring my chest and arms up. Since this first one has been great but still getting used to it and the app and all so I was wondering if running another one would be better.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
yes I’ve been happy to stay on track and hold and now start to drop again that seemed to work well for me before hand as well. Also gives me a little more energy and fuel for the meso.

are you changing your next mesocycle? I was thinking today about doing the same cycle next go around because I want to bring my chest and arms up. Since this first one has been great but still getting used to it and the app and all so I was wondering if running another one would be better.
I think that really depends, if everything is still moving up nicely and you can keep up with the recommendations of the plan then there is no real reason not to repeat it. If you want to change some things up to try some of the other exercises out then that will give you a base to build off of with the new stuff you try. If you want to do some things like add in myoreps, giant sets and the like then yeah change it up.

I have found each session to run a little long trying to get everything I need into a 4 day a week schedule. So thinking of going to a 5 or 6 day a week, which also allows a little more volume for legs while shortening the upper body sessions length considerably. Considering I want my legs to come up too, it will be worth the additional days for that so long as my recovery ability can keep up with it. Also, I want to add in some MYOREP Match sets on a couple of exercises. I really enjoy those, and they actually got me a little sore. I think I will probably start with a 5 day see how that goes, then if that goes well do a 6th day the next meso. As far as exercises, I will probably ring a lot of these out over a few mesos. I am pretty confident in the ones I have selected right now, and want to get some good tracking of how long they work well for me before changing them. The fewer changes at a time the easier to see what is doing what.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gym time 5 am my energy level has been great and I seem to be re adjusting to the earlier wake up time.

Squat-175x8x8 ATG pause At bottom

reverse lunge-20x11x11

lying leg curl-100x10

cable calf machine- 85x15x12x15 didn’t rest long enough on second set

leaning DB shrug-30x11x11

DB wrist curl-30x11x10x12

plate neck curls-10x12x12x10

just feels like I’m on track and accomplishing a solid progression. When you look at your plan for the gym the night before and get excited about tomorrow mornings session it’s a good feeling. 💪🏻🇺🇸🇺🇸

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
any idea how hot the surface gets on your blackstone? that crisp looks soo good. I struggle sometimes to get my meat as hot as I want for a nice sear

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
any idea how hot the surface gets on your blackstone? that crisp looks soo good. I struggle sometimes to get my meat as hot as I want for a nice sear
I have one side on high it’s roughly 500 degrees using my laser thermometer. I do 2 minutes a side on high then the other side set low it ranges 300-375 finish on their 1 minute flips until internal temp of 158. I pull at 158 then they rest 5 minutes and they hit 165 by that time.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have one side on high it’s roughly 500 degrees using my laser thermometer. I do 2 minutes a side on high then the other side set low it ranges 300-375 finish on their 1 minute flips until internal temp of 158. I pull at 158 then they rest 5 minutes and they hit 165 by that time.
Dude that's awesome. we are toying with ripping up the deck boards on our back deck this summer and replacing them all with trex (or another brand) cause the prices have come down a lot... if I pull that off, we might try to integrate my smoker and a flattop into like an outdoor kitchen on it... this is a high priority item for us lol

I'm always really disappointed in the quality of the sear I get on some things, especially steaks. I can get a good sear on one side, but the only way I'm going to replicate it on the other side is over cooking it (I like rare). My best steaks... I hate to admit this because it doesn't include fire... but if I'm cooking a high value steak like a fillet or ribeye..... I do the reverse sear. as hot as I can for a couple minutes on each side in the cast iron pan on the stove top (propane stove) then finish in the oven

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is a little out door kitch I finished up last year, nothing fancy but I really like it!!

Kitchen Kitchen.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dude that's awesome. we are toying with ripping up the deck boards on our back deck this summer and replacing them all with trex (or another brand) cause the prices have come down a lot... if I pull that off, we might try to integrate my smoker and a flattop into like an outdoor kitchen on it... this is a high priority item for us lol

I'm always really disappointed in the quality of the sear I get on some things, especially steaks. I can get a good sear on one side, but the only way I'm going to replicate it on the other side is over cooking it (I like rare). My best steaks... I hate to admit this because it doesn't include fire... but if I'm cooking a high value steak like a fillet or ribeye..... I do the reverse sear. as hot as I can for a couple minutes on each side in the cast iron pan on the stove top (propane stove) then finish in the oven
You shouldn't be embarrassed some of the best steaks are seared in a cast iron pan. Nothing wrong with that at all. There are tons of ways to make a steak to perfection.

Also look into burning Oak for your seering if over an open flame. It burns nice and hot, and for longer.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

So on steaks I use that brick of Smithfield hog lard for the griddle. I season steaks heat the griddle, I turn both sides to high it will hit 700 degrees with both sides high. Smear the lard on slap steaks on 2 minutes, then I pull the steak put on a plate scrape the griddle clean re apply lard. Put steak back on 2 minutes, then I turn the temps down to low. At this time I have 4 minutes of cook and hard sear both sides. Then I just do 1 minute a side flipping until I hit 118-119 temp then I pull. Steaks I let rest almost 10 minutes. Also I put a smear of Kerry gold butter on them while they rest that melts in and is delicious.
Here is a example of what the sear looks like on a flip

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So on steaks I use that brick of Smithfield hog lard for the griddle. I season steaks heat the griddle, I turn both sides to high it will hit 700 degrees with both sides high. Smear the lard on slap steaks on 2 minutes, then I pull the steak put on a plate scrape the griddle clean re apply lard. Put steak back on 2 minutes, then I turn the temps down to low. At this time I have 4 minutes of cook and hard sear both sides. Then I just do 1 minute a side flipping until I hit 118-119 temp then I pull. Steaks I let rest almost 10 minutes. Also I put a smear of Kerry gold butter on them while they rest that melts in and is delicious.
Here is a example of what the sear looks like on a flip
View attachment 232908
They look awesome !

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
They look awesome !
When I first got a griddle I almost sold it I couldn’t cook anything good on it. It took me about 6 months to get it figured out. Also in the beginning I used olive oil, horrible I don’t use that anymore. Also how to clean and store it has made a huge difference.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Also in the beginning I used olive oil, horrible I don’t use that anymore. Also how to clean and store it has made a huge difference.
we're the same way, we use butter for just about everything now, especially the cast iron

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I actually found it pretty surprising that I needed much less oil than I expected I would. I used a whopping 2 tbls of Avocado oil to cook 4 lbs of chicken breast and got a great seer on them too!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I actually found it pretty surprising that I needed much less oil than I expected I would. I used a whopping 2 tbls of Avocado oil to cook 4 lbs of chicken breast and got a great seer on them too!
I have not tried the avocado oil yet, they say it has a high smoke point too. It’s next on my list to get.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have not tried the avocado oil yet, they say it has a high smoke point too. It’s next on my list to get.
Yeah smoke point is like 500, and it has a good amount of monounsaturated fats so healthier fats. Also a very neutral flavor so you don't have to worry about what you put it with when cooking. You put olive oil on the wrong thing and it ruins it. I remember once while my MIL was visiting she used EVOO in some cookies and they were just horrible. Avacado oil has more Omega3 and Omega6 than EVOO has also. So it is definitely a win, win! You get healthier fat consumption, less saturated fats, and a high smoke point. It is pretty hard to beat.