Weights up, scales down…

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Checking my RP app for tomorrows session and they pushed a new update liking the new look and some of the bug fixes! Pumped to get after it tomorrow!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What a great workout, pump was fantastic great mind muscle connection, everything was clicking this morning.

gym time 5 am
I won’t list my warm up weights before each lift.
warmups1. 30 rep max for 12 reps
warmups 2. 20 rep max for 8 reps
Warmups 3. 10 rep max for 4 reps

Reps where taken to 1 RIR weights have also increased along with rep targets.
DB flat bench-5012x9

incline barbell bench-95#9 reps x 9 reps

wide assisted(120#)pull ups- 8 reps x 7 reps

cable over head Tricep extension-30#12 reps x 12 reps (failed the first rep target I was going for 16 reps)

Tricep rope push down-30#13 reps x 13 reps

ez bar curl-50# 11 reps x 9 reps x 9 reps

DB lateral raise-10# 11 reps x 9 reps x 9 reps

I just noticed that maybe the way I’m laying my weight and reps out might not make sense to anyone but me?
So I changed it slightly (example) 50# 8 reps X 8 reps

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I love early morning workouts!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t feel as strong as I do evening workouts. With are new addition to the family and work it’s the only time I have to spare so I make it work!

If you do it over a long time it will become the normal and you will Love starting your day with a Great Workout. I have been doing Fasted 4am workouts for over 20 years (might be 30?)

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you do it over a long time it will become the normal and you will Love starting your day with a Great Workout. I have been doing Fasted 4am workouts for over 20 years (might be 30?)
Oh yeah I agree it’s already improving and getting better. I do like getting it done in the morning and be up while everything is quiet and dark! Definitely starts the day off right!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
WHen I am doing them and have done them for a while I love getting it done and not having to do anything the rest of the day once off work. However it only takes me 1 afternoon or evening workout to remember why I like them more. Just better performance. So once I get in the morning groove I try to avoid afternoon or evening sessions. Then I don't realize what I am missing. Only reason I don't train in the AM right now is time... The gym opens at 5:00AM, and I need to be home to shower by 6:30AM which doesn't leave time for warming up and doing these sessions. Although it is very likely I will start doing 2 a days with the first half of the session in the AM then a the second half in the afternoon or evening and set the exercises for the afternoon/evening session up so they can be done at home, the gym, or the fitness center at work without having to modify the exercise.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
gym time 5 am
I love early morning workouts!!
I have a ton of respect for the guys that do it, I love the idea of it, but just struggle with it lol.,=

That's actually how I got my start as a gym rat. When I was 16 dad got me a membership to his gym so every morning I'd be there around 5-6am with him lifting. Afterwards, he'd go to work and I'd drive home to get ready for high school. But even back then I had such a hard time lifting and sweating hard in the morning dehydrated and underfed. more than once I'd pull over on the side of the road on my way home to puke lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have a ton of respect for the guys that do it, I love the idea of it, but just struggle with it lol.,=

That's actually how I got my start as a gym rat. When I was 16 dad got me a membership to his gym so every morning I'd be there around 5-6am with him lifting. Afterwards, he'd go to work and I'd drive home to get ready for high school. But even back then I had such a hard time lifting and sweating hard in the morning dehydrated and underfed. more than once I'd pull over on the side of the road on my way home to puke lol
Oh yeah, I remember some morning puke sessions.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Honestly if the gym was open until 11 pm I would go late like 9pm but the gym I go to closes at 8pm. So I’ll have to keep my morning schedule.

on a side note back when I traveled 100% and me and the wife lived in are 5th wheel. I met a guy on a site out by Colorado Springs on a project. He had a 5th wheel that he gutted the living room area so just had his bedroom and bathroom in the front a small kitchen area and then had a squat rack with bench and some wild cable pulley setup was like a full gym on wheels 😂

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Honestly if the gym was open until 11 pm I would go late like 9pm but the gym I go to closes at 8pm. So I’ll have to keep my morning schedule.

on a side note back when I traveled 100% and me and the wife lived in are 5th wheel. I met a guy on a site out by Colorado Springs on a project. He had a 5th wheel that he gutted the living room area so just had his bedroom and bathroom in the front a small kitchen area and then had a squat rack with bench and some wild cable pulley setup was like a full gym on wheels 😂
I prefer the afternoon or evening sessions myself but it is cutting into time with my wife. We have always gone to the room between 8:00PM and 9:00PM to start winding down together and get some quality time together. It's not that the kids can't come in there to hang with us, because they can, but historically that is our time. So suddenly this workout is taking me to the gym until 10 and we are missing out normal quality time. So she is understandably missing me so if I want to be the kind of husband I need to be for her then I need to adjust instead of making her sacrifice for my goals. I am okay with that once starting to prep for a show when the time comes but should not expect that of her the rest of the time since it is MY goal, and not her sacrifice to make.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I prefer the afternoon or evening sessions myself but it is cutting into time with my wife. We have always gone to the room between 8:00PM and 9:00PM to start winding down together and get some quality time together.
I have found 11am to be the sweet spot for me. I'm awake, moving, hydrated, fed, not tired yet. But man if I have a ton of yard work to do on the weekend I'm so spent after an 11am Sunday gym session lol

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I prefer the afternoon or evening sessions myself but it is cutting into time with my wife. We have always gone to the room between 8:00PM and 9:00PM to start winding down together and get some quality time together. It's not that the kids can't come in there to hang with us, because they can, but historically that is our time. So suddenly this workout is taking me to the gym until 10 and we are missing out normal quality time. So she is understandably missing me so if I want to be the kind of husband I need to be for her then I need to adjust instead of making her sacrifice for my goals. I am okay with that once starting to prep for a show when the time comes but should not expect that of her the rest of the time since it is MY goal, and not her sacrifice to make.
Totally understand that.
I have found 11am to be the sweet spot for me. I'm awake, moving, hydrated, fed, not tired yet. But man if I have a ton of yard work to do on the weekend I'm so spent after an 11am Sunday gym session lol
3pm seems to be my sweet spot during the winter months a few times I got to go around this time.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gym time 5 am

Reps where taken to 1 RIR weights have also increased along with rep targets.

leg extension-105# X 13 reps X reps

cable pull through-55# X 13 reps X 13 reps

lying leg curl- 115# x 9 reps

calf raise plate machine- 77.5# x 12 reps X 12 reps

cable shurgs- 75# x 15 reps x 12 reps

barbell wrist curls- 60# x 16 reps x 11 reps x 11 reps

neck curls- 10# x 12 reps x 10 reps x 8 reps

another great session today huge storm this morning so there was like 5 people in the gym!!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
cable pull through-55# X 13 reps X 13 reps
That's the tik tok movement right? How you liking them?
I'm not sure I've ever actually done them. Might be worried about wracking my nuts.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm not sure I've ever actually done them. Might be worried about wracking my nuts.
I have no clue I don’t have tik tok 😂

it’s one of the choices on the app I watched the Dr mike video on it and gave it a whirl. I like it , I use v grip handle, nut wracker free.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think I forgot to add this some days but this week all 4 days I added in neck work. I haven’t measured my neck in a while but it sure seems to be bigger, also has seemed to help some of the sore muscles I was getting in the neck/shoulder/trap area.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s the closest movement to a reverse hyper you can do in a commercial gym, something Louie always recommended if nothing else. Unfortunately, you’re limited to the weight stack though, which should become an issue for many serious trainees. I kind of stopped bothering with them for that reason, but they are good if I are doing circuit work more for flushing/volume.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did a 24 hr fast yesterday since we had dinner plans. Fasting again today for 24 hrs, will resume next week at reduced intake. Also have walked 8 miles so far yesterday and this morning will be doing another long walk this afternoon.

with short fast yesterday today I checked in at 240.6 so I was pretty happy about that.

also cooked up 2.5 lbs of chicken meal prep this week is Chile lime marinated chicken,black beans, avocado.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Chicken Looks Good!!!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gym time 5 am

reps taken to 0 RIR

barbell bench- 145# x 12reps x 9 reps X 5 reps (added set 30 second rest)

DB incline bench- 45# x 11reps x 10 reps X 5 reps (added set 30 second rest)

T bar row- 70# x 10 reps X 10 reps

skull crusher- 60# 12 reps X 11 reps ( neck plate curls in between 10# x15x12x10)

Cable rope Tricep pushdown- 25# x12 reps X 10 reps

cable bicep curl- 25# x 20 reps X 12 reps X 12 reps

barbell shrugs- 145# 14 reps X 14 reps X 12 reps

fasted again yesterday had a roasted chicken and roasted potatoes and carrots for dinner. Feel like I was lacking some fuel in the tank this morning. Regardless still had a great session, really good pump, things feeling good!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
5am is a bit tough to get carbed up for a session.
I wonder if a scoop of dextrose pre-wo would help or if it would be detrimental to your weight loss goals. 🤔

now days I tend to have a bowl of rice prewo but back in my xfit days I'd throw a scoop in my pre-wo drink, and do my lifting, then often have another scoop in a shake of aminos pre wod, back when I was basically doing 2 hour sessions. but back then it was all training and my 'game' that I replaced tournament league softball with so it was all I did every day.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I wonder if a scoop of dextrose pre-wo would help or if it would be detrimental to your weight loss goals. 🤔

now days I tend to have a bowl of rice prewo but back in my xfit days I'd throw a scoop in my pre-wo drink, and do my lifting, then often have another scoop in a shake of aminos pre wod, back when I was basically doing 2 hour sessions. but back then it was all training and my 'game' that I replaced tournament league softball with so it was all I did every day.
Yeah it’s tough I get up and have some coffee and get ready and out the door. Usually it’s not bad but was just a little more depleted this am then usually. Also I got pretty sunburned over the weekend, weather was cool and 70’s so I was tank top all weekend. So last night I felt like I was a oven 😂

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wonder if a scoop of dextrose pre-wo would help or if it would be detrimental to your weight loss goals.

You kind of answered your own question. When performance is the priority you need to fuel it; when body composition & retaking health are the goal you need to just do the work & suffer some.

Adding intra carbs directly works against his goals. It would prevent his lifting session from being fat-burning the way it is on only stims.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
lifting without food I could get by some for sure (goal dependent of course). lifting dehydrated though = puke.
I did have a buddy that would slam his morning coffee then hit the gym and that always worked really well for him.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
lifting without food I could get by some for sure (goal dependent of course). lifting dehydrated though = puke.
I did have a buddy that would slam his morning coffee then hit the gym and that always worked really well for him.
Lifting dehydrated is just ignorance or laziness in my experience.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
probably one then the other.
if I'm doing a morning session I usually try to hammer down an 18-24oz shaker of electrolytes before I hit stims and that's usually enough but my routine is 3 shakers before hitting the gym most days. either water or mixed with creatine for flavor in the morning.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
probably one then the other.
if I'm doing a morning session I usually try to hammer down an 18-24oz shaker of electrolytes before I hit stims and that's usually enough but my routine is 3 shakers before hitting the gym most days. either water or mixed with creatine for flavor in the morning.

I have some samples of this I could send you I you would like to try it out ??

Liquid IV.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have some samples of this I could send you I you would like to try it out ??

View attachment 233153
I've used that one, it's good! Thank you for the offer!
I've also used Canteen by redcon which is fine, back in our xfit days my wife got me trying rehydrate by advocare which was OK as well. lately I've kept costco sized stock of Gatorade Zeros but I believe it's a sucralose based product so I'm contemplating moving away from that....

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've used that one, it's good! Thank you for the offer!
I've also used Canteen by redcon which is fine, back in our xfit days my wife got me trying rehydrate by advocare which was OK as well. lately I've kept costco sized stock of Gatorade Zeros but I believe it's a sucralose based product so I'm contemplating moving away from that....
Thermotabs are a very good portable tablet option you can keep in a gym bag. Pretty affordable as well.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gym time 5 am

reps taken to 0 RIR

Squat-180# x 10reps x 8 reps

reverse lunge DB- 20# x 12 reps X 12 reps
( I hate this f-ing exercise but it is way harder then I imagined it and making work on balance so it’s a win, I still hate it.)

lying leg curl- 105# x 10 reps X 9 reps (added a set)

Calf machine- 90# x 18 reps X 16 reps X 14 reps ( increased weight)

DB leaning shrugs- 35# x 18 reps X 12 reps X 12 reps ( added set and increased weight)

DB wrist curls- 35# x 15 reps X 12 reps X 12 reps ( increased weight)

Plate neck curls- 10# x 12 reps X 10 reps

another great day, reps increased, weight increased, set’s added. Have been slightly annoyed that I’m stuck teetering on the 240# mark. But this is exactly what is was like at the 250# mark, I know all the activities and calorie deficit will do it’s thing and I’ll break into the 230’s before to long.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
another great day, reps increased, weight increased, set’s added. Have been slightly annoyed that I’m stuck teetering on the 240# mark. But this is exactly what is was like at the 250# mark, I know all the activities and calorie deficit will do it’s thing and I’ll break into the 230’s before to long.
for sure, you'll be on your next woosh down pretty fast. calories are staying consistent? what are you at now?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
for sure, you'll be on your next woosh down pretty fast. calories are staying consistent? what are you at now?
Yeah staying consistent I was at 2300 calories, re inputed my weight into macro tracker ( I also set my activity level as low as I can) now running 2000-1900 will track this to see how I’m re acting.
My next step will be to start doing more cardio/ steps. Don’t want to reduce past these numbers.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah staying consistent I was at 2300 calories, re inputed my weight into macro tracker ( I also set my activity level as low as I can) now running 2000-1900 will track this to see how I’m re acting.
My next step will be to start doing more cardio/ steps. Don’t want to reduce past these numbers.
yes it's a balancing act with your metabolism, which will adjust. I think smont was saying he puts clients at smaller weekly decreases than 300-400 when things slow down, then of course adds in LISS etc.

Layne took last year to focus on doing mini cuts followed by mini reverse (not really bulk, but...). I think he said 3-4 weeks reverse dieting, 4-6 weeks cutting (or that could be flipped). I ran my reverse diet for essentially 4-5 months and took my metabolic baseline from like 1700 cals to almost 2700 before I truly started gaining weight, which was nice.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
yes it's a balancing act with your metabolism, which will adjust. I think smont was saying he puts clients at smaller weekly decreases than 300-400 when things slow down, then of course adds in LISS etc.

Layne took last year to focus on doing mini cuts followed by mini reverse (not really bulk, but...). I think he said 3-4 weeks reverse dieting, 4-6 weeks cutting (or that could be flipped). I ran my reverse diet for essentially 4-5 months and took my metabolic baseline from like 1700 cals to almost 2700 before I truly started gaining weight, which was nice.
Well also when I first got started I was doing it all wrong. I was cutting calories, lifting, LISS. After a few podcasts of DR Mike and taking advice I re strategized, and not play all my cards at once. I was not going to be able to sustain doing all at once.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
there are a LOT of ways to skin that cat, but it's true that many of the things that worked in the 60s still work today

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well also when I first got started I was doing it all wrong. I was cutting calories, lifting, LISS. After a few podcasts of DR Mike and taking advice I re strategized, and not play all my cards at once. I was not going to be able to sustain doing all at once.
Yep gungho effort can only be sustained for shorter periods of time then burnout becomes more likely and often followed by relapse.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yep gungho effort can only be sustained for shorter periods of time then burnout becomes more likely and often followed by relapse.
And that’s what I was doing in the beginning. I want this to be a sustainable and achievable journey. With end results that last and leave me with a foundation to build off of.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m a little to excited for this 😂

my old scale was a piece of junk, so this looked a lot better has all the units I wanted and a easy tare function for building plates like for dinner.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I use my scale all the time during food prep, making my peri-workout drinks and just for quick spot checks. Funny how much you use them once you get acclimated to using one.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
rest day today definitely was needed, it was nice to sleep in until 6 am lol. Sunburn is getting better so no longer a microwave oven. Nutrition has been on point. Will be ready to get back at it tomorrow morning!