Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks like those extra calories fueled a good workout!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Getting back into the groove, didn’t quite have my normal drive/ambition but got it done. Rained pretty much all day so didn’t get much for steps in today. On the plus was off early so empty gym.

Weight 255.2

Calories 1592/ fat 55.6/ carbs 94g/ protein 195g

Might still have a yogurt and banana before bed see how I feel later.

Stretching/ warmup sets before working sets

Seated Arnold press DB- 3x10 45lbs

Reverse pec dec- 3x10 115 lbs

Seated OHP- 3x10 75lbs

Upright rows-3x10 70lbs

Side raise- 3x10 20lbs

BB shrug- 3x10 165lbs then plate shrugs 3x10 25lb plates

Hammer curls-3x10 35lbs

Preacher curl machine- 1x10 95lbs 1x8 110lbs 1x3 140lbs (was not pretty but felt good lol)

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thinking about it... I'm trying to cut though, so my strength goals and physique goals don't exactly line up at the moment. But we'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow morning as it's bench day!
I swear you can get jacked AF dieting while on 5/3/1. It’s all about the diet.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Getting back into the groove, didn’t quite have my normal drive/ambition but got it done.
That's what it's all about man! Dedication! Good for you, that was the right decision. Keep that up and your gains will be inevitable. :D

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Every workout you do, is better than the one you skip!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Getting back into the groove, didn’t quite have my normal drive/ambition but got it done. Rained pretty much all day so didn’t get much for steps in today. On the plus was off early so empty gym.

Weight 255.2

Calories 1592/ fat 55.6/ carbs 94g/ protein 195g

Might still have a yogurt and banana before bed see how I feel later.

Stretching/ warmup sets before working sets

Seated Arnold press DB- 3x10 45lbs

Reverse pec dec- 3x10 115 lbs

Seated OHP- 3x10 75lbs

Upright rows-3x10 70lbs

Side raise- 3x10 20lbs

BB shrug- 3x10 165lbs then plate shrugs 3x10 25lb plates

Hammer curls-3x10 35lbs

Preacher curl machine- 1x10 95lbs 1x8 110lbs 1x3 140lbs (was not pretty but felt good lol)
Nice workout. You doing these movements in this order? I’d recommend starting with the seated OHP and going much heavier. You clearly have the strength, you’re just getting worn out on accessory movements that you do before the major compound movements. Suggest starting with the big compound movements and then follow with accessory work, including the dumbbell work. Let the arm work also follow the major compound lifts. Just my 2 cents.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice workout. You doing these movements in this order? I’d recommend starting with the seated OHP and going much heavier. You clearly have the strength, you’re just getting worn out on accessory movements that you do before the major compound movements. Suggest starting with the big compound movements and then follow with accessory work, including the dumbbell work. Let the arm work also follow the major compound lifts. Just my 2 cents.
this

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thinking about it... I'm trying to cut though, so my strength goals and physique goals don't exactly line up at the moment. But we'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow morning as it's bench day!
When dieting, your fuel intake is lower; you can’t handle as much volume as usual and still recover. SO, it’s actually ideal to lift heavier with lower reps to help retain strength and muscle size, because you already know you can’t accomplish as much volume. Focus on doing less exercises but doing them well instead of a lot of work only so-so!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When dieting, your fuel intake is lower; you can’t handle as much volume as usual and still recover. SO, it’s actually ideal to lift heavier with lower reps to help retain strength and muscle size, because you already know you can’t accomplish as much volume. Focus on doing less exercises but doing them well instead of a lot of work only so-so!
That settles it then!

Actually started up this AM in my log on bench. Drop on by when you get a chance, can always use some experienced advice!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That settles it then!

Actually started up this AM in my log on bench. Drop on by when you get a chance, can always use some experienced advice!
Link ?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes it was in that order, same with the other day squats at the very end. Had to wait for people to finish.

Next week will be my last week then I’ll be on the move looks like Nebraska.

So when I get there going to switch and run 5/3/1 will have a few weeks off in between, hopefully I can get some gym time in, nothing else I will start doing my morning jogs and bike rides.

Thanks for all the input guys!!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Hope @akboom87 doesn't mind me dropping this in here!
Yes it was in that order, same with the other day squats at the very end. Had to wait for people to finish.

Next week will be my last week then I’ll be on the move looks like Nebraska.

So when I get there going to switch and run 5/3/1 will have a few weeks off in between, hopefully I can get some gym time in, nothing else I will start doing my morning jogs and bike rides.

Thanks for all the input guys!!
Best of luck with the move!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Hope @akboom87 doesn't mind me dropping this in here!Best of luck with the move!
No worries!!! And thanks!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Light duty today with a gorgeous day and having to work late today, just took the dogs out on a 2 mile walk. Was a gorgeous evening so can’t complain!

Then fired up the pellet grill for some butterfly chicken breasts.

Weight 254.6

Calories 1813/ fat 68.8/ carbs 75g/ protein 228g

Hopefully I don’t drop my Jean size very much, holy fawk I was looking online at my normal Ariat jeans… that is quite the price jump they have made.

Maybe I can peel the FR label off and stitch on to non FR

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Always butterfly my grilled chicken breasts; so much better results!
Absolutely, and I always smoke mine for a good hr before I crank it up to finish them. Unless I’m pressed for time.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So thanks to everyone and all the advice you guys have to offer, today i had one of my best sessions! I lowered my volume and focused on strength and attacked the big ones first. Just felt confident and strength seemed to be way up.

So was a dang good day!

Weight moved back up to 255

Calories 2140/ fat 105g/ carbs 89g/ protein 222g

Stretching warmup sets before working sets

Bench- 1x5 165lbs 1x5 185lbs 1x3 205lbs (PR for me)

Incline bench DB- 1x10 65lbs 1x8 65lbs 1x8 65lbs

DB seated OHP- 3x10 55lbs

Pec dec machine- 3x8 145lbs

Ez bar skull crushers- 3x10 60lbs

V grip cable push downs- 1x8 80lbs 2x10 65lbs

Tricep extension machine- 1x10 95lbs 1x8 110lbs 1x5 140lbs

45lbs plate shrugs- 3x10

Then 10 minutes elliptical just fast and furious sweat fest.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bravo! And you’re moving some good weight there. I’m excited to watch the results.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Congrats on the PR! Guess I've got some catching up to do.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Congratulations !

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks guys!!!

I kinda wanted to go to the gym today but I can tell it wouldn’t be to great as I can feel yesterday. So might do cardio today or get out and do some hiking

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks guys!!!

I kinda wanted to go to the gym today but I can tell it wouldn’t be to great as I can feel yesterday. So might do cardio today or get out and do some hiking
If it's nice out go for the hike, maybe a little added weight in the back pack !

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It was full of water, went from 40’s-50’s to 85 yesterday. Thought the dogs where going to die lol, but was still a nice walk. It’s a river walk they have like 12 miles of paved bike/walk paths that follow the river. Did 3 miles of it then headed back.

Smoked some burgers, trying out some new pellets. Smoked for a hr then pulled grill to 350 and done in 12 minutes. Wife made a broccoli cole slaw, not my favorite food, so I made 2 over easy eggs to throw on top of the slaw

Went over my calories yesterday
Calories 2463/ fat 100g/ carbs 160/ protein 230.3

Saturday and Sunday is usually my red meat days where have a fatty burger or steak, then back to chicken for the week.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It was full of water, went from 40’s-50’s to 85 yesterday. Thought the dogs where going to die lol, but was still a nice walk. It’s a river walk they have like 12 miles of paved bike/walk paths that follow the river. Did 3 miles of it then headed back.

Smoked some burgers, trying out some new pellets. Smoked for a hr then pulled grill to 350 and done in 12 minutes. Wife made a broccoli cole slaw, not my favorite food, so I made 2 over easy eggs to throw on top of the slaw

Went over my calories yesterday
Calories 2463/ fat 100g/ carbs 160/ protein 230.3

Saturday and Sunday is usually my red meat days where have a fatty burger or steak, then back to chicken for the week.
Venison, best of both worlds !!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Venison, best of both worlds !!
Yes it is! Problem is after we get a deer it’s usually gone in about 2 months! Building a new deer blind this year, and this summer will be helping pops plant some alfalfa and clover mix. This fall should be a good year for filling the freezer.

Another nice day, slept in wife made protein waffles and bacon! Went to the gym, cleaning the camper and re arrangement of crap, will be hooked up Friday night. Not sure if I’ll just leave out and night drive or do a Saturday morning.

Calories 2087/ fat 69g/ carbs 166g/ protein 224g

Stretching warm up sets before working sets

Deadlift- 1x5 225lbs 1x3 250lbs 1x1 260lbs

BB row- 2x8 155lbs 1x3175lbs

DB row- 3x10 70lbs

Pull ups- 1x3

Lat pull down- 1x10 140lbs 1x8 160lbs 1x8 140

Back extension machine- didn’t count just did 3 sets until felt tired 115lbs

Ez bar curl- 3x10 65lbs

Hammer curl- 3x10 35lbs DB

Machine preacher curl- 1x10 95lbs 1x8 110lbs
1x3 then a couple half reps 140lbs

Wes plate shrugs 45lbs 3x10

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I tried those Westley Shrugs on Saturday and just could not get the feel ?? I have done them in the past and really liked them ??

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I tried those Westley Shrugs on Saturday and just could not get the feel ?? I have done them in the past and really liked them ??
When I shrug up I kick my arms out slightly at the top when I’m squeezing and it just activates it that much more.

But I’ll admit somedays I can’t quite get my form right and I don’t get much out of it and I’ll just scrap and do BB shrugs.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
When I shrug up I kick my arms out slightly at the top when I’m squeezing and it just activates it that much more.

But I’ll admit somedays I can’t quite get my form right and I don’t get much out of it and I’ll just scrap and do BB shrugs.
That's what I did!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Time to add another set of Pull-ups! Another trick is to go for total max reps in one song you’re listening to. This will force you to chase total volume with a bunch of singles or doubles.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you doing the full 10 second holds at the top for 20 reps?

Even using lower weight I always get a good pump going when I do them.
Even with lighter weight I never make it to 20 reps

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Even with lighter weight I never make it to 20 reps
Hmm, well maybe go even lighter?

I've never had decent traps, always been a weak spot for me (visually speaking), but in just the last few weeks that I've added these in I'm seeing growth that I haven't seen with months of bar shrugs.

I started with lower weight than Wes demo'd so I could gauge what I could handle and moved up from there, but I'm getting the 10 second counts and the full 20 reps in. It takes awhile and definitely gets my heart rate up and has me sweating (which for me is significant), but I'm seeing results!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hmm, well maybe go even lighter?

I've never had decent traps, always been a weak spot for me (visually speaking), but in just the last few weeks that I've added these in I'm seeing growth that I haven't seen with months of bar shrugs.

I started with lower weight than Wes demo'd so I could gauge what I could handle and moved up from there, but I'm getting the 10 second counts and the full 20 reps in. It takes awhile and definitely gets my heart rate up and has me sweating (which for me is significant), but I'm seeing results!
Good deal !!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Time to add another set of Pull-ups! Another trick is to go for total max reps in one song you’re listening to. This will force you to chase total volume with a bunch of singles or doubles.
I tried to go for another set but I was spent so I just hung there for as long as I could!

Like that idea will be implementing that!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did some more packing **** away and cleaning the fifth wheel. Had to go order some new tires for the truck today, about fell over dead when I heard the price. Also this week has been clean out the freezer so having quite the odd protein diet this week.

Went and cranked out 30 minutes and 3 miles on the elliptical, I can feel my back today in a good way also tracked down a gym out in the area of Nebraska I’ll be working in so chalk today as a win.

Calories 2017/ fat 82g/ carbs 117g/ protein 227 g

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You’re moving heavier weight now. I like it. Let’s see how your strength and physique respond!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Didn’t have a great day. Have just been irritated all day and in a mood. Went to the gym the wife needed to do her physical testing for her online college class. So we did her lifts for her testing. Gym was packed and I don’t know why but everyone was pissing me off. The few squat racks where full of homesteaders, so I went to the smith machine. Did a few rounds of squats and just decided to get out of there.

Calories 1720/ fat 71g/ carbs 86g/ protein 182g

Did a few pull ups,

Smith machine squats- 1x5 170lbs 1x3 200lbs 1x2 250lbs 1x1 270lbs 1x1 270lbs

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Some days we all feel this way

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly what prompted me to leave a commercial gym.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey, at least you got a little work in. Sounds frustrating, for sure! But you’re in a deep groove, stay the course!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Welllllllll a pretty decent day! This will be my last day in the gym for a while. Have a few weeks off and have some projects to help dad with on the farm. Then we will head up to the wife’s family and spend some time, got a fishing trip lined up with a buddy. Plan on staying in deficit, and getting back to doing a morning jog, afternoon walk, evening jog. Plan on making up for lots of my winter inactivity . Then will be set up in Nebraska for 6-8 months. Found a old school iron gym in the area I’m going to try out, will be coming back and running 5-3-1.

Weight 253

Calories 2188/ fat 95g/ carbs 195g/ protein 190g

Stretching warmup sets before working sets.

Seated OHP- 1x5 75lbs 1x5 105lbs 1x3 135lbs decided to slap 155lbs on for 1, I made it

Seated DB OHP- 3x10 50lbs

Upright row- 3x10 75lbs

Rear delt flys Db- 3x8 20lbs

Reverse pec dec machine- 2x10 115lbs 1x8 135lbs

Reverse cable fly- 3x10 15lbs

15 min elliptical

Will still be updating my log, with just random daily stuff, maybe some deer blind pictures, fish pictures and probably some ramblings

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice Over Head Press !!