Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Weight lifting WITHOUT a weight lifting belt

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
JIXXER

JIXXER

Awards
Not trying to derail everyone...but

What about using a weight belt? Who likes to and who dosen't?

If your unsure of why I ask is because, research has show that you can do more damage than good, when using a weight belt.

How..?...U ask..read on:veryhappy:

Stuart McGill’s research.

* If you never injured your back, wearing a belt adds no safety.
* If you injure yourself while wearing a belt, the injury is more severe.
* To get the most out of weight belts, you must lift with bad technique.
* If you want to lift a few more pounds, wear a weight belt.

Why I Never Recommend Weight Belts. Guy subscribes to a gym. Does Biceps Curls like the other guys. Gets stronger. Hyper-extends his back on each rep to get even stronger. Gets lower back pain.

He wears a belt upon recommendation of the gym people. No more pain. Back to curls, but still hyper-extending his back. Pain comes back, but worse. Doctor diagnoses him with a hernia. Weight lifting gets bad reputation again.

It was Biceps Curls, but it could have been Squats or Deadlifts. If you don’t lift correctly, you’ll injure yourself. That’s why I don’t recommend belts: they give a false sense of security. And according to McGill, injuries get more severe.

Here is the link for all you guys that want to get more in depth info on this. Great reading for novice and advanced:bigok:

hard iron

hard iron

Awards
  • Established
For me personally if I'm going real heavy with something ya I'll wear one but other than that I hardly do

I actually remember reading somewhere that Kevin Nee (a.k.a.- youngest professinal strongman) doesn't wear one because he feels that by putting more stress on the back with no support actually strengthens it.

but I mean in my oppinion I think it just depends on the person and their personal needs, everyones different

JIXXER

JIXXER

Awards
True;

Although he could be on to something about not using one, Strongman! no weight belt=strong core

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
My first day in the weightroom in college I brought in a weight belt, the strength coached looked at me and said "weight belts gloves and straps are for p***ys, will you have a weight belt on when you step onto the football field?" Ever since then I have never worn one and just practiced perfect form, but I have to admit when I'm repping squats with a lot of weight people make comments about me not wearing a belt a getting hurt

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
They are like any other tool. If you they are used correctly and at the appropriate time they can improve safety and increase the weight lifted. When used incorrectly or inappropriately they can create problems. It doesn't have to be all belt or no belt.

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
i don't use gloves or straps because I want to strengthen my grip but I do use a belt for squats because I am not trying to work my lower back when doing squats. That is a pretty poor way to work your lower back, don't you think?

I use the belt for squats because it allows me to use more weight, and thus work my legs better.

It has limited use outside of squats, maybe deads... anyone using a belt for their curls should be nominated for biggest douche in the universe... I wouldn't base anything on idiots like that. For squats the belt functions to keep your lower back more upright by allowing you to use your lung capacity to press against the belt, this helps prevent you from bending over too far and sticking your butt out while in the pocket.

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont use a weight belt. lower back problems run in my family. my pops has real bad back problems, and uses a belt.
I've thought about using one, but right now, i deal without one. i'll save it for when im over forty, or as long as i can.

I dont use gloves. and used to not use straps. for the same reason as unreal.

I recently started using straps so I focus less on grip, and more on my traps when shrugging.

I would guess everything has it's time and place.

I dont use anything while I curl. why someone would wear a weight belt curling beats me?

I do however use a weighted belt when doing pull ups. im not heavy enough.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
My first day in the weightroom in college I brought in a weight belt, the strength coached looked at me and said "weight belts gloves and straps are for p***ys, will you have a weight belt on when you step onto the football field?" Ever since then I have never worn one and just practiced perfect form, but I have to admit when I'm repping squats with a lot of weight people make comments about me not wearing a belt a getting hurt

what position do you play? what school? not trying to be a **** but if your stats are correct you have to be a phenomenal athlete to be playing college ball.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Belts should only be used for low-rep sets (1-5) and only when going very heavy. I use on for lifts that truly stress the lower back (e.g. deads, front squats) and only on the max sets. I train the hell out of my core, but lower back pain and/or core instability is a much more complicated process than just having a strong core.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i stop wearing a belt a year ago. i will never go back had to drop deadlife down to 250 relearn my form. then work back up it took about a month. it was worth it i feel i hit my lower lat better now. and get more out of my lifts

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i wear my belt on my heaviest sets, and not for the back support, but for the abdominal support. its not that I have a weak core, but any core regardless of strength will benefit from being able to push your abs into the belt.

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
I personally think all this talk about belts being bad for you is total bull****. Using a belt for curls, stupid, I agree 100%. I see douchebags wearing their belts into the gym. When used properly however, a belt is an extremely useful tool. I don't cinch my belt where it takes 2 guys to put it on either, that's a stupid way to do it. It should be snug, but still give you room to push your abs against it while you're squatting or deadlifting which will in turn activate your core in the most effective way.

As far as not "working your core" because you're using a belt, that's also silly unless you're putting it on when you're warming up with the bar, and not doing any additional core work. If you're only using it at 80-90% or so and above (like you should) and you're warming up properly, you should be getting tons of core work during your warm ups.

I don't know who Stuart McGill is, but I'll bet he's got a lousy squat and a bicep day. Either that or he's a PT or 'back expert'.

JIXXER

JIXXER

Awards
I don't know who Stuart McGill is, but I'll bet he's got a lousy squat and a bicep day. Either that or he's a PT or 'back expert'.

Lol....True..most all PHD/Grads are brain no Bron....regardless....they went to school for it...I didn't. All they inform you on is the facts:deal:....anything after that is on you
:hump:

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
what position do you play? what school? not trying to be a **** but if your stats are correct you have to be a phenomenal athlete to be playing college ball.
I played for a 1-AA program in PA between 2001-2005, we sucked but regardless I played college ball, I was just about the smallest guy on the team, I played halfback and some slot reciever