Volcom's, Controlled Labs' - Look good in dem BLUE GENE(s), Sponsored Log

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Upon approval by Snagency :stick:
Oh you are funny bro..

I personally think your first idea with NFL-combine (225xreps) drill was the bomb. The test of endurance should most definitely also include stabilization fatigue..

That being said, it looks as if you might include something like that as well. It really doesn't matter to me what platform you use for any test - I appreciate all angles/efforts/feats of strength & will!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
whaat up fellas. sorry volcom im in the process of moving into my apartment so things are hectic lately

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh you are funny bro..

I personally think your first idea with NFL-combine (225xreps) drill was the bomb.
Damn, I knew you'd say that, and after my super-intelligent sounding post to justify the Smith you had to go off and appeal to my testosterone.

I stand by my convictions for the Smith to measure muscle endurance, but I do agree that the combine approach is definitely MUCH cooler, I'm still somewhat in the gray area on this matter.

There's a thin line between sports performance application benefits and bodybuilding application benefits, but I'm not going to school Lee Priest on bodybuilding :thumbsup:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn, I knew you'd say that, and after my super-intelligent sounding post to justify the Smith you had to go off and appeal to my testosterone.
:thumbsup:

You know what would be interesting - just to isolate the measure of stabilization in endurance factor - run both techniques, like 2-3 days apart, fresh at the beginning of a workout. See what the difference is..

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Didn't mean to walk in on ya, I'll knock next time, and don't throw away the paper, I need to check some scores.
haha no prob just finishing up. have you seen my utility belt?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pre Cycle Measurements

I just got my measurements taken.

- All measurements were done without apparel obstruction.
- All measurements were done in a muscle relaxed state, EXCEPT for one, which I will specify.

I'll provide measurements in inches and centimeters, for our international friends like Jakellpet.

Current Weight: 214lbs or 97.27kg

Neck: 15.5 inch or 39.37cm

I don't understand this neck measurement thing. I don't see this number changing too drastically. It doesn't measure trap size, hypertrophy doesn't really occur at the insertion points at the base of the occipital region. The only perceivable muscles on the "neck" are the sternocleidomastoids (fancy word), those two muscles running from base of your jaw to your clavicle.

Upper Arm (bi's & tri's): 15 inches or 38.1cm

Upper Arm (Flexed): 18 1/4 inches or 46.35cm

Lower Arm (forearms): 12 3/4 inches or 32.38cm

Chest (beneath arms): 44 inches or 111.76cm

Chest (around delts): 52 inches or 132.08cm

Upper Leg (Quads & Hams): 23 inches 58.42cm

Lower Leg (Calves): 16.5 inches or 41.91cm

Waist: 36 3/4 inches or 93.34cm

All measurements are automatically updated into the intro page

Last edited:
metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
nice measurements man. I's a bit jealous.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Someone look outside and let me know if you see four horsemen in the sky

Yes indeed, back pain is the worse and if you'll notice (I'm surprised Inspector Rolanda didn't catch it), I'm wearing two belts. One general stability lumbar wrap and my weight belt over it. I'm still wearing them both right now. I stretched afterward profusely, had my brother do a deep tissue with his knees on my back and I'll probably keep these suckers on until bed time. I felt a slight strain at the left erector spinae (very susceptible area for me), nothing serious, but enough for me to want to pamper the lumbar tonight.
Ok, now I'm bored. :yawn: Peace. :twisted: :lol:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, now I'm bored. :yawn: Peace. :twisted: :lol:
What if I video taped myself giving a random rear naked choke to some newbie not using full ROM on the flat bench?

Ump, he's gone. Two posts, that's one better then last time. I'm happy with what we've accomplished here.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
What if I video taped myself giving a random rear naked choke to some newbie not using full ROM on the flat bench?

Ump, he's gone. Two posts, that's one better then last time. I'm happy with what we've accomplished here.
That would earn you some points.

Honestly, I haven't really been spending much time on here lately. Alex and I decided to take our online bromance offline. :eek: :run:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That would earn you some points.

Honestly, I haven't really been spending much time on here lately. Alex and I decided to take our online bromance offline. :eek: :run:
haha, bromance. No worries, I go through seasons where I'm a bit AM apathetic, or AM obsessed.

AM fatigue is a known symptom of over-posting, rest up, bud.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Will do. Keep up the good work on DL. Sounds like you get into full battle armor for it.

I've been doing heavy DLing, yoke walks, farmer's walks, and other strongman sh1t, and my back's been on the brink of disaster for the past few weeks. :lol:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will do. Keep up the good work on DL. Sounds like you get into full battle armor for it.

I've been doing heavy DLing, yoke walks, farmer's walks, and other strongman sh1t, and my back's been on the brink of disaster for the past few weeks. :lol:
I've read about your yoke walks and farmer walks, but I'm not certain what they are. Sounds brutal, but a lot of your strongman exercises are over my head. I don't know what a yoke walk or farmers walk is, but all the power logs seem to have them.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Here's a yoke walk (that's not me):

Farmer's Walk (this one is of world's strongest woman, Aneta Florczyk -sp?)

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cool vids. Now that's some functional strength.

I think I've done that yoke walk accidentally a few times, lifting massive pieces of furniture helping friends move from house to house. Those little steps look very familiar. (Anyone else on here always the first guy your friends' call for help when they're moving? lol..)

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
Cool vids. Now that's some functional strength.

I think I've done that yoke walk accidentally a few times, lifting massive pieces of furniture helping friends move from house to house. Those little steps look very familiar. (Anyone else on here always the first guy your friends' call for help when they're moving? lol..)
i work at a patio furniture store (super high end) and that walk definitely looks familiar with these giant wooden swings we sell. except they cant rest on your shoulders. its more like walking with it using a overhead snatch grip. killer workout haha.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
Someone look outside and let me know if you see four horsemen in the sky

Yes indeed, back pain is the worse and if you'll notice (I'm surprised Inspector Rolanda didn't catch it), I'm wearing two belts. One general stability lumbar wrap and my weight belt over it. I'm still wearing them both right now. I stretched afterward profusely, had my brother do a deep tissue with his knees on my back and I'll probably keep these suckers on until bed time. I felt a slight strain at the left erector spinae (very susceptible area for me), nothing serious, but enough for me to want to pamper the lumbar tonight.
just caught this haha. its roland, not rolanda. roland-a-joint (rollin a joint). damn im bored.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That farmers walk must develop some strong traps. Awesome vids Jas, and I appreciate the education. Now I can appreciate your numbers when I know what the heck it is you're doing.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pre Cycle Strength & Endurance Evaluationm II

Date: 08/19/08

This is a pre-cycle endurance evaluation. I performed the chest press with the 100lbs Db's for 17 reps.

Video Validation
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ1k3DeWd4o"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Just for fun:

Pec Dec Modification; My personal tweak when the rack just isn't enough. It's easier then it looks, so don't be too impressed
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqZj3YVRds"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Comments:

As far as chest endurance is concerned, this is where I am.

All videos are automatically updated into the intro

Last edited:
Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice work. I'm curios are you right or left handed? It's hard to say but on the db press it looked like you kept the left DB out further from your body. Did you notice that? Perhaps it was just the angle of the shot too.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This has to be the most extensive, pre-cycle general prep I've ever done.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice work. I'm curios are you right or left handed? It's hard to say but on the db press it looked like you kept the left DB out further from your body. Did you notice that? Perhaps it was just the angle of the shot too.
I am right handed, but my curling strength is stronger on the left (all bad jokes aside), and that boggles me.

Its not unlikely that my balance of the Db's weren't symmetrical. My whole bench experience, Db or Flat has felt awkward lately. I didn't "feel" an imbalance, but I'll look and see what you're observing.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damnit Volcom! You are strong as a fcking ox bro! I cant wait to presses 100s one day. You truly are inspiring man. And I have the same thing - Im left handed but my right arm is stronger.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I'll look for it in your new animated movie :thumbsup:
I shouldn't be in the movie... Storm troopers come in the 3rd movie... This one is between 2 and 3...
or maybe I'm there as a random ass clone... who knows!:thumbsup:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damnit Volcom! You are strong as a fcking ox bro! I cant wait to presses 100s one day. You truly are inspiring man. And I have the same thing - Im left handed but my right arm is stronger.
Thanks Metroba :thumbsup:

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
Awesome job on the DB presses bro. Very strong pressing. My gym finally got some 100 lb DB's in so I'm going to have to do an all out set like you to see how we compare.:duel:

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Good vids Volc, looking strong brotha man!
I agree...very impressed.

Will you be testing your legs? I personally have a much stronger lower body...but I don't think for my style of training that I will be doing any pre log assessments quite like yours.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nice reps bro. Glad to see you kept it real w/ DB's! :thumbsup:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey vol, r u taking the 5 pills 7 days a week?
hey, thanks for dropping by. I'm not actually ON blue GENE yet. I haven't received the product. All these videos are simply pre-cycle measurements and evaluations, which will be a base to contrast against post-cycle measurements and evaluations when this is all done.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
yo man i gotta ask: can you give us an outline on your diet? like a sample meal plan for a workout day?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree...very impressed.

Will you be testing your legs? I personally have a much stronger lower body...but I don't think for my style of training that I will be doing any pre log assessments quite like yours.

Question 1

I won't be testing heavy squats.

Long story, short. I suffered a slip disc injury to my L2 (I believe, could have been L3), it took about a year for me to fully recover (meaning pain free from the sciatica). I was told to never do heavy squats, never do heavy deads and be weary of heavy shrugs. Slowly I began to perform light deads, to moderate deads, now to heavy deads. Because performing with lumbar straining exercises is kind of flirting with danger for me (I still feel the sciatica after deads sometimes), I decided to only choose one of the two crowned kings of exercises to hammer, and I chose Deads. I still aggravate my lumbar on occasion with heavy deads alone.

My legs are always performed in a light manner and not in a way that would cause strain to my lumbar. However, I don't know if its a Pacific Islander thing or what, but I naturally have big, big legs and respectably large calves, relative to my quads/hams, so it doesn't really effect me. Any kind of heavy leg work primarily stems from my deads. If I had any "free-bee" muscles, like how some people have abs no matter what and if they're out of shape and they sneeze, the abs come back, I have freakishly quick developing quads and hams that don't fall behind the overall growth of my body (so far).

Statement Following Question:

Power training is so neuromuscularily driven, that unless you had a supplement that specifically induced sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, I wouldn't imagine a huge CHANGE in performance. Endurance really has no part in single bouts of power. I would imagine that you would see more physiological changes then performance (this is just my theory, so take it with a grain of salt). Especially if you continued your active-cardio lifestyle, Blue GENE ought to have a real performance boosting effect on that, so unless you posted a 1hr vid of one of your tennis matches, hehe. My cardio will be very subpar, so I will look forward to your more cardio driven experience, especially with all that field work you perform. I'm a fan of mixing up field work (when I'm in a heavy cardio season).

Prior to my latest lumbar aggravation (which I could not walk for 3 days in late May). I was up to 2, 60 min sessions of cardio a day, sometimes 3, with HIIT or Plyo's with HIIT principles thrown in the mix. However, since my last aggravation, I wasn't able to physically run.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome job on the DB presses bro. Very strong pressing. My gym finally got some 100 lb DB's in so I'm going to have to do an all out set like you to see how we compare.:duel:
Brang it :thumbsup:

More motivation to make me push even harder the next time. Maybe in two or three weeks I'll challenge your Dead Lifts, oohhhhhhhh, no he dit'nt :dl:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yo man i gotta ask: can you give us an outline on your diet? like a sample meal plan for a workout day?
Sure, but as you can see, I'm Asian, so I get my protein and foods from unconventional sources.

For example, Oyster Pancakes
Oyster, Jelly Fish, Eggs, Boc Choy and low sugar Chinese sauce, good as hell.

I snack on black sesame seeds or squid jerky, all sorts of weird business.

Here is a typical WORKOUT day.
Note: Because I'm not cutting or bulking, I eat carbs in all forms, sometimes fast digesting, sometimes slow.

Breakfast (7:30am)
Ronnie Coleman Special (but not as much and no cheese)
1 packet Oatmeal
8 eggs, 1 yolk (scrambled)
Mix it up and go to town.

Brunch (Snack at work; 10:00am)
Western & Cheese on Flat Bread at Subway (walking distance)
Flat Bread (about 40g "bad" carbs)
2 eggs
4 slices of ham
sprinkled cheese
bell peppers/onions/jalepenos (yes, I love my jalepenos)

Lunch (1:00am; this is where things can get mixy, this is what I had yesterday)
3 baby squid
broiled chicken leg
Chinese Broccoli
Tofu Meat Ball

Immediately Post Workout
Protein Drink (either Blue Thunder, from the max muscle next door (when at La Verne gym) or Mass Recovery from the juice bar.
less then 3g fat
60g carbs
45g protein

Dinner (60 min post workout)
White Cod Steak (pretty much until I'm full)

Snack on some black sesame seed cubes

My source of proteins are wide varying. I rarely stick with chicken breasts. I do a lot of seafood.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
I have friends from all sorts of ethnicities, and I gotta say - its VERY hard for me to sit down and have a meal with my Chinese or Taiwanese friends in New York. I don't have a very discerning palate - but some of the stuff just is so far from what I grew up with I just can't bring myself to try. Its kind of embarrassing, but what can I do. They are all really cool about it though, I try to taste something new every time.

Then again, I dont see them eating like me either... :p

And I think your Pac Islander has something to do with your legs - just a completely different build... Some of the best offensive linemen are Samoan, and they are undersized. Just goes to show how important leverage and legs are.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have friends from all sorts of ethnicities, and I gotta say - its VERY hard for me to sit down and have a meal with my Chinese or Taiwanese friends in New York. I don't have a very discerning palate - but some of the stuff just is so far from what I grew up with I just can't bring myself to try. Its kind of embarrassing, but what can I do. They are all really cool about it though, I try to taste something new every time.

Then again, I dont see them eating like me either... :p

And I think your Pac Islander has something to do with your legs - just a completely different build... Some of the best offensive linemen are Samoan, and they are undersized. Just goes to show how important leverage and legs are.
I was raised in Southern California since 5, my dad is Caucasian, but my mom always took us to the China towns and what nots (99 Ranch Market, anyone got one of those?), so I was raised with an appetite for questionable food. My girlfriend however, is half Spanish/half white, but 200% American in palate (with the occasional Tamalies for Christmas Eve Spanish tradition), so whenever she comes to MY family gatherings, she's afraid of being rude for not eating, so I always tell her, "just pretend we're sharing a plate and I'll do all the eating." I'll eat practically anything. I just like food. I love trying new foods, but at the end of the day, I'm about 20oz steaks :food:

On the topic of food. I don't know if it's a National thing or just a California thing, but all our restaurants have a grade at the window, A, B, C, and anything lower means a shut down. I find that the lower the grade, the better the food tastes. My personal preference. Grills that aren't really cleaned off holds a lot of flavor :lol:

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
I was raised in Southern California since 5, my dad is Caucasian, but my mom always took us to the China towns and what nots (99 Ranch Market, anyone got one of those?), so I was raised with an appetite for questionable food. My girlfriend however, is half Spanish/half white, but 200% American in palate (with the occasional Tamalies for Christmas Eve Spanish tradition), so whenever she comes to MY family gatherings, she's afraid of being rude for not eating, so I always tell her, "just pretend we're sharing a plate and I'll do all the eating." I'll eat practically anything. I just like food. I love trying new foods, but at the end of the day, I'm about 20oz steaks :food:

On the topic of food. I don't know if it's a National thing or just a California thing, but all our restaurants have a grade at the window, A, B, C, and anything lower means a shut down. I find that the lower the grade, the better the food tastes. My personal preference. Grills that aren't really cleaned off holds a lot of flavor :lol:
Hahaha, I WISH my girl would say that to me. I'm the big eater, but I don't want to sit down and power shovel 3 pounds of rice and noodles - I need PROTEIN.

Oh, and you got a point. The best Chinese takeout places in the Dirty Apple are the ones that look dank on the outside. If you get a free can of soda with your meal - you know its ghetto - and you're gettin some good ish.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I'll eat practically anything. I just like food. I love trying new foods, but at the end of the day, I'm about 20oz steaks :food:

In this respect, you and I are very similar. I am constantly ridiculed by my friends for my wide variety of protein shake mixtures. Most of them have never heard of a goji berry, and the ones that have don't see how it could be good mixing it into a shake with chocolate protein, oats, and almond butter. I think it's amazing :)

Just had ostrich for the first time the other day too...not too bad. I expected it to be more gamey.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In this respect, you and I are very similar. I am constantly ridiculed by my friends for my wide variety of protein shake mixtures. Most of them have never heard of a goji berry, and the ones that have don't see how it could be good mixing it into a shake with chocolate protein, oats, and almond butter. I think it's amazing :)

Just had ostrich for the first time the other day too...not too bad. I expected it to be more gamey.
Ostrich!! Wow, I've always wanted to try snake, and a Buffalo Steak. I've never tried Ostrich, but I would.

I've also never tried a Kobe Steak, and I never eat Fillet Minions (sp?) because the portion is always too small. I like my steaks in MINIMUM 16oz, preferably 20+oz