To Infinity.... and Beyond!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trying to hold myself accountable to raising all weights and not mindlessly throwing in 3x10 accessories.
Unless I’m intentionally looking for a pump at the end of a session or babying my shoulder, (outside of programmed compounds, too) I aim for 6-8 tough reps, but aim to reach 10, and they just keep climbing. A slow climb, sometimes, but a climb.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the PR!!!! Took us both about 7 years to break it but got it done before the year ended. Race to 500lbs LOL
Deal!

Today we road tripped down to Tombstone, had a drink in Wyatt Earp and Doc Holidays place, then hiked outside of Tucson. About six hours of driving and the irony is I'm probably 1,000 calories low lol. I truly have no idea if I'll get home heavier or lighter.

Tomorrow golf with a buddy, then road trip to Vegas starts Weds. Hoping to hit the hotel gym a couple times, I looked them up and it comes with complimentary water!
IMG20221226104038.jpg
IMG20221226105126.jpg
IMG20221226122837.jpg
IMG20221226150034.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on all the PRs, and some great pictures!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just got to the Golden Nugget in Vegas after driving north from Tombstone. Kingman / route 66 was a kick!

Free weights have been located although they top out at 65lbs so I'm not gonna set an PRs bit getting some much needed movement.

Warm up
Lateral raises
Forward raises
DB snatch
DB curls

DB bench
15 x 50s
15 x 60s
15 x 65s

BB bench (found more weights)
10 x 135
8 x 185
6 x 205
4 x 225
1 x 245
15 x 155

BB rows
3 x 10 x 155

DB curls
3 x 10 x 40s

So this is a kick. When the bar comes down, on the rise at about 2-3" over my chest it just snaps up in the air like I'm wearing the slingshot. Coolest sensation. I can't help but to wonder if that single slingshot day I had already did something.

Free water earned
IMG20221229125357.jpg
IMG20221229081014.jpg
IMG20221229094137.jpg

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Been to the Nugget one time. That street is definitely something in the evening when it’s all lit up and the performers are doing their hustles!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up, empty bar
Press, RDL, squats, curls, cleans

Squats
10 x 95
5 x 135, 185, 225, 245, 265
3 x 285, 300
5 x 255

RDL
10 x 135
8 x 225
6 x 275, 315

Leg ext single leg
3 x 10 per leg

Leg curls single leg
3 x 10 per leg

Star Trac leg press
10 x 225, 275, 315

Really prefer this press. Hits glutes and hammies pretty damn well.

Notes
Goal was to pick up as close as I could to where I left off so I'm happy with first 2023 session of the year. I have a six week cycle till my next time off.

I'm not a NY resolution guy but my main goals this year are

500/400/300. Two of those I'm already within 5-10% squats need work.

Other goal is weight belt down past fourth hole, scale be damned.

Biggest plan to help facilitate the squats is more independent leg work to rehab that OLD left leg injury / deficiency I've ignored far too long.

Weight
Screenshot_2023-01-02-10-59-22-10_ee7135fcf97d3e3ba40b5916618c1252.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you ate there, let us know how it was!
Na we just got a drink across the walkway there and watched people weigh in for a half hour lol.

We did get a burger at Guys which was fantastic beef but much smaller than I expected. Ate down at Vamp'd one night to watch some great rock, and on NYE had asian with a 10oz waygu cooked perfect at 8 east across from the golden nugget. (in circa I think?). 8 East ended up being the highlight meal we decided after the whole trip.

Somehow my wife won $50-200 every damn time she sat at a slot machine. Shed push the button three times, see a $xxx win say "what happened?!" Um, you just won $216.

"Oh sweet, let's cash out!"

We never gamble so that was a trip. I finally found poker tables for my first time ever in Vegas after a dozen trips. Sat down I think three times on evenings while she got ready and made a few hundred bucks.

All in all a good trip but I'm happy to be back home where I can find some healthy food for less than $50 lol
IMG20221231231935.jpg
IMG_20221231_084640_239.jpg
IMG_20221230_140704_011.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
first time on an actual computer since Dec 23rd I think. sorta funny to scroll up and see how the tapatalk app posts my pics.

Looks like you had a blast on vacation!!!
It was pretty awesome. Tombstone was about 80f and my wife decided we were going old school with paper maps the whole trip, no phones allowed. so we drove south about 3.5hrs for our Tombstone and Tucson Zoo days, then from the Phoenix area another 5+hrs north through Wickenburg, stayed in Kingman for Route 66 stuff, then on to Vegas all paper map style. That was a great experience though because I really got to know these areas better vs just waiting for the google man to tell me when to turn right, lol.

Helluva way to kick down the doors of 2023!
feeling optimistic!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warmup
DB lateral raises
Forward raises
Snatch
Curls
Bent over rows

DB bench
15 x 60
5 x 70, 80,
3 x 90, 100
110 x 4, 3, 3
70 x 15

Slingshot
15 x 70
10 x 90, 95

This was experimental to see how it went with DBs. Pretty good forearm hit. Wow.

Hammer strength dips
3 x 10 x +180
10 x 230

Machine curls
3 sets

Concentration curls
3 x 10

Lateral raises
10 x 30s, 35s,

Matrix chest press
3 x 10 top set 250lbs (full stack)

Notes:
Went in feeling a little weak which I'll blame on lack of carbs (didn't add my normal pre workout rice) happy to hit my 110 that I left off with though.

Those extra sling shot reps completely blew up my triceps and forearms. Holy cow.

Weight

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I find heavy slingshot bench (barbell) cooks my traps in a way I never get raw benching due to the stability required for overload weights. Kinda cool.
You should try DB bench with the slingshot sometime
it was my whole arm even into my shoulders (in a good way) after the DB's. My triceps and forearms were so cooked I couldn't nail my normal tri work that I usually do, it was wild. It's also a lot of fun, I could see overdoing it and using the SS too often lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Mine too, but I switched to this gym cause I was stuck at like 80s before lol

you'll just have to do 4,000 reps.
That’s mainly my issue; if I can already do them for 20 reps raw it’s not like I want to really do 30 assisted

I have my thick handle loadable gorillastrength db handles, but they would be really bonkers to try to hold loaded up over 120. Seems like a good way to get injured, trying to get them into place.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
at first I didn't understand your post about the traps @Hyde but once I broke my fast today (?) DOMS kicked in and my traps are thoroughly cooked.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you had an awesome trip and a great workout upon returning. Got to love finishing off the year on a great note and starting the new year with a great workout!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Man my triceps are still sore
Warm up
Empty bb
RDLs, curls, press, rows,

Deads
10 x 155
5 x 205, 245

Deficits
5 x 245
3 x 295, 335, 375, 410 (PR weight)

More deads
1 x 425 (hella heavy)
10 x 315

Good mornings
8 x 135, 175

DB concentration curls
3 sets

21s
3 sets

Single leg curls
3 sets

Leg ext single leg
3 sets

Notes
Wanted to see what 425 felt like after the deficits. Foolishly thought I could get 3 lol. Felt like crap all day so doubled my carbs and threw in two more cups of rice and hour pre workout. Felt better almost instantly.

Super rushed, late for Spanish class!

Weight
189.x

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Observation this past week or so.

Left bicep gets a nice ball finally and develops better than right

Left tricep is always the lagging push on bench

Left hamstring struggles to do same weight and reps when doing leg curls

Left quads seem stronger than right on leg extensions.

My serious injuries are
Broke left ankle
Tore ligament in left side of lower back

Tore right rotator cuff twice
Broke clavicle on right side (surgery)
Tore right acl

Tore adductor at pelvic bone region but was pretty central not sure if it was more right or left. Happened during PR cleans I think.

No idea if any of that is related but I do know historically left leg is weaker than right side by a long shot which is why I'm working on more leg independent accessories.
¡Rapido!
In and out including locker room in an hour lol

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol. It’s ok, green tea may support endocrine health!
Ha, I'm not even doing that! Just coffee at work, maybe tea if I'm a bit bored before I break the fast. But it's that evening night cap that I miss. It's just sorta the ritual, walk in the door after a long commute, the sound of the cork popping, pour a little shot in the rocks glass, swirl it around, smell it, enjoy. Trying to fill that with tea at the moment to make sure my calories are useful.... so I have whatever granola fruity ass flavored teas my stepdaughters left behind. probably has tofu in it for all I know.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ha, I'm not even doing that! Just coffee at work, maybe tea if I'm a bit bored before I break the fast. But it's that evening night cap that I miss. It's just sorta the ritual, walk in the door after a long commute, the sound of the cork popping, pour a little shot in the rocks glass, swirl it around, smell it, enjoy. Trying to fill that with tea at the moment to make sure my calories are useful.... so I have whatever granola fruity ass flavored teas my stepdaughters left behind. probably has tofu in it for all I know.
What if I told you that you could buy whatever flavor of tea you wanted at the store?

Walmart has some organic green tea for just a few bucks and it’s great. Or you can get an expensive decaf coffee if you prefer that isn’t half bad. OR you could move your feeding window to accommodate the desired drinking time and calories.

The thing that helps me the most is focusing on the reality that this is all 100% my choice. I live such a privileged life that I can get calories any time I want them. I get to choose when I eat. At any point, I can tap out, quit the plan, hell I can try to get on my 600lb life if I really want to go full diabetes. Nobody is forcing me to do anything, so it’s all about my goals and what I’m willing to pay for them.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Pre workout
71g cho via sticky rice

BB warm up

Bench
10 x 115, 155
3 x 190, 215 235, 255
1 x 270, 285 (fail pr attempt)

Slingshot
3 x 5 x 255
10 x 225

Pause
5 x 185, 195, 200

Lateral raises
10 x 25s
10 x 35s
10 x 40s

Weighted dips
10 x 25
2 x 8 x 50

Hammer strength inclines
3 sets

DB curls
10 x 40s, 45s
6 x 50s

Cable curls
3 sets TUT

Notes
270 went up fairly easy so I had to make the PR attempt. Could get myself to take a smaller jump than 15lbs. Another inch though and I think I would have had the sweet spot. I need to train the SS at higher weight. Next week I think I'll chase 290+ SS maybe

Pause bench was establishing a baseline.

Awesome pump

Weight
Screenshot_2023-01-06-12-02-41-12_d6adedf4d711c7601603723b834e942e.jpg

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff, and just remember how awesome that bourbon will be once you earn it and build anticipation for it. Also like @Hyde said you can always adjust your window back a couple hours if you don't mind donating 200 calories to the cause from other food.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
thanks man, I feel like things are going pretty well. overall I've grabbed all my old strength numbers without gaining weight (well, like 3lbs in 4+ months ). I think I have a good routine on deads to keep going. Squats possibly, we will see. I'm a little concerned about this bench plateau so I may need to mix something else in here. coming back and benching 275 every week for a month or so consistently is great but at some point I need to bust past that. I'm only 25lbs away from 300. and like 12.5% away from 3 plates.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good stuff, and just remember how awesome that bourbon will be once you earn it and build anticipation for it. Also like @Hyde said you can always adjust your window back a couple hours if you don't mind donating 200 calories to the cause from other food.
This is the mindset I have. I will earn a drink for special occasions.

I used to preplan drinking calories for every night when I was counting and drinking regularly. Every night.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This is the mindset I have. I will earn a drink for special occasions.

I used to preplan drinking calories for every night when I was counting and drinking regularly. Every night.
That’s probably the best mindset for physical health. Just like you COULD allocate calories for donuts, cake, pop tarts daily if you wanted, but we all know routine consumption of that stuff is just bad for you.

I always wish I could eat a lot more hot dogs in my life

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
DB lateral raises
Forward raises
Curls

DB bench
3 x 12 x 50s

Machine curls
12 x 70
8 x 85
8 x 90

Bench
10 x 135
3 x 185
5 x 225
3 x 250

SS
3 x 265

OH press
5 x 115
5 x 135
3 x 155

Conditioning
10min incline treadmill

Screw off bonus day with my boy

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Squats
10 x 95, 135
1 x 185,205,225,245,265,285
2 x 305
1 x 315

Pause (2 one-thousands)
3 x 5 x 225

Front Squats
185 x 3,4,5

Hammer Strength Leg Press
12 x +230
10 x +270
10 x +320
10 x +360

Notes
Still a little tender inside the groin. I think I need to drop back and rebuild 5s.

Weight belt almost back to fourth hole. Very loose on 3rd.

Weight

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work, and since you push singles a lot why not increase reps for a little bit, stick around in the 5's for a month building that then start working your way back through triples and then singles?

Also where is your sticking point? That can tell us a little more about what my get you through that plateau.

Sometimes you just need a little break or tweak in the movement. Maybe you just need some more reps to increase size a little to bump it. Also if you really want to break it you could push your weight up but I have a feeling that isn't part of your overall goal.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice work, and since you push singles a lot why not increase reps for a little bit, stick around in the 5's for a month building that then start working your way back through triples and then singles?

Also where is your sticking point? That can tell us a little more about what my get you through that plateau.

Sometimes you just need a little break or tweak in the movement. Maybe you just need some more reps to increase size a little to bump it. Also if you really want to break it you could push your weight up but I have a feeling that isn't part of your overall goal.
For the current moment, I'm burning the candle at both ends trying to maximize my calories for strength to the best of my ability while still thinking a bit about how fat or lean I want to be on the beach in Feb. I think another 300-500cals a day would solve some of my problems instantly.

I agree with you on volume. Ideally I'd like another squat/lower day tbh. I feel like I have too much time between squat sessions but I'm struggling to figure out where I'm going to throw that in.

If the bottom position is 0% and top position is 100% I'd say my sticking point is around 20-40%. I haven't failed a squat in a very long time so I tend to hang it up when I sense my RPE is quite high...

Both squats and bench are stuck at the moment. it's either going to take creative programming or nutrition to push them over I think... joints feel a little dry, I feel a tad deflated. probably need more calories although I'm not losing weight so who knows... lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For the current moment, I'm burning the candle at both ends trying to maximize my calories for strength to the best of my ability while still thinking a bit about how fat or lean I want to be on the beach in Feb. I think another 300-500cals a day would solve some of my problems instantly.

I agree with you on volume. Ideally I'd like another squat/lower day tbh. I feel like I have too much time between squat sessions but I'm struggling to figure out where I'm going to throw that in.

If the bottom position is 0% and top position is 100% I'd say my sticking point is around 20-40%. I haven't failed a squat in a very long time so I tend to hang it up when I sense my RPE is quite high...

Both squats and bench are stuck at the moment. it's either going to take creative programming or nutrition to push them over I think... joints feel a little dry, I feel a tad deflated. probably need more calories although I'm not losing weight so who knows... lol
You might be overtraining a little, all those singles are hell on the CNS. Have you done a deload in a while? You can choose to just deload the things that are stagnant and sometimes get some extra kick out of them after. You also might want to pick one or the other for breaking through and prioritize that in your training.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You might be overtraining a little, all those singles are hell on the CNS. Have you done a deload in a while? You can choose to just deload the things that are stagnant and sometimes get some extra kick out of them after. You also might want to pick one or the other for breaking through and prioritize that in your training.
I agree, I've actually been playing with lower reps because they've been less taxing. I had the week from Dec 24th till Jan 2nd off with the exception of one bench day I found at the hotel but it wasn't a huge day.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That spot is the normal spot to work the hardest on a squat. You’ve come off the rebound and are otherwise in the worst leverage position you can be. People don’t miss at the top of a raw squat unless they lose position or balance, and they only miss in the hole if they just took such a heavy weight they got stapled. Otherwise, if you miss it’s going to be that bottom half above the hole where you have to really fight.

Wraps and especially suits can change the power curve, and add more technical things that can go wrong, but that’s another convo.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You could try some 1 1/4 squats to strengthen and build that portion, box squats are good because they take the rebound out and build explosiveness in that position. Also lengthening the pause at the bottom can help. Also you might want to practice failing at the bottom to get some confidence you can still be safe in doing so. Don't get to failure but on a hard rep lower the bar to the safeties and then just crawl out from under it. Knowing you know how to get out of that position builds a lot of confidence in the lower portion of the squat.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
DB laterals, forwards, curls
12-15 x DB bench

DB bench
8 x 65, 75, 85,
3 x 8 x 95
+I x 8 x 95 w/ SS
15 x 75 no SS

Machine dips
10 x 200
2 x 8 x 250

Curls
10 x 75
8 x 85
8 x 95

Laterals
10 x 30s
10 x 35s
10 x 40s

Hammer curls
3 sets

Tricep DB kickbacks
10 x 25s
10 x 30s
10 x 35s

Vertical Press
3 x 8 x 200

Notes
Dropped weight and worked on increasing reps a bit for DB per the advice around here. Sorta had 3 x 10 in mind but this is ok. Still surreal throwing around DB weight that combines over my weight lol. Was gonna skip biceps but it gave me rest in-between tricep work.

75g of cho pre workout did NOT seem like nearly enough today for a satisfying pump. Never gone that heavy on the DB tricep kickbacks tho so that's cool

Weight this morning

There's a huge difference in how my body responds to 2100 cals vs 2300-2500.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You could try some 1 1/4 squats to strengthen and build that portion, box squats are good because they take the rebound out and build explosiveness in that position. Also lengthening the pause at the bottom can help. Also you might want to practice failing at the bottom to get some confidence you can still be safe in doing so. Don't get to failure but on a hard rep lower the bar to the safeties and then just crawl out from under it. Knowing you know how to get out of that position builds a lot of confidence in the lower portion of the squat.
Im half tempted to eat above cals tomorrow to throw in another squat day then push my rest to Thurs instead of Weds, bench Fri, pull sat....

Not sure but thinking. I really think I need a second squat day and more volume in general. It just beats the **** out of me.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I try and space legs out a little more than a day, but I also like to hit legs twice a week. Along with everything else.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Im half tempted to eat above cals tomorrow to throw in another squat day then push my rest to Thurs instead of Weds, bench Fri, pull sat....

Not sure but thinking. I really think I need a second squat day and more volume in general. It just beats the **** out of me.
When you add another day, you need to trim your current OR write out all the work for the second day like it’s part of your current, then see if that would seem crazy as one day initially. Because that’s how your body will feel it, as everything it experiences over the week, not in a vacuum. You can add more weekly work but it needs to build up progressively.