To Infinity.... and Beyond!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
@Dustin07 Well, a simple way to do this and try to recomp would be for you to add 500-1000 calories on Build days and then subtract the exact same amount on burn days from what you are having now. This way if you are getting about the same amount of build and burn days over the week you are still hitting the same average caloric intake as now but focusing on fat loss on the burn days and creating anabolism on Build days. I am not sure what your training split looks like but if you train most days then you would just want to pick some days that you are training smaller muscles and use them as a burn day as well. They will still get the benefit of the surplus on the following build day.

If you want to go with increasing calories a little then you could simply skew the numbers a bit by either increasing calories on your build day so say -500 burn and +700 on build days, or visa versa only drop to -300 on burn days and leaving the build day increase at 500, then over the course of the week you are increasing the daily average by 100 or so calories. Again depends on how you want to do that. Obviously you could also just keep your normal calories static from day to day, and still get some of the benefits of fat loss just from the fasting but it will not be as effective and will lose most of the benefit over regular caloric reduction over multiple meals.
Current training split is 4 days. Weds and Friday can be juggled a bit based upon my sons schedule with wrestling and school but typically it's this and for the most part, mon/tues/thurs does not change.

Monday
Squats + accessories
Tuesday
Bench + accessories/arms
Weds
Rest. maybe cardio on a cut
Thursday
Deads + accessories and arms
Friday
Bench or Overhead, trying to get extra leg work in here too.

Sat/Sun rest mostly due to no gym currently available.

Calories currently averaging about 2300. Weight staying totally flat.

I'm thinking if I did the IF I'd do:

12 Noon - Lunch
2:30pm - Carbs. Cup of Jasmine rice or something like that
3:15pm - Gym
5:00PM - post workout shake and maybe that wrap or sandwich we discussed
7:00PM - Dinner with wife and rest of macros/calories

Sleep - 8:30pm to 4:30am

So the burn/build days would be easy in regards to calorie manipulation. I could easily add that huge serving of rice/carbs/whatever pre workout and just not have it on non lifting days. that could easily create a difference of 300 or more calories a day.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That looks very doable and easy to manipulate. I would say it is a solid plan for sure.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think you have really been finding your groove in training and I wouldn’t jeopardize that with unnecessary cutting.

So any overall food reductions you make should be moderate, not all out. Time your nutrition accordingly for optimal performance.

You do NOT need to be fat to be strong. You just don’t want to focus on getting ripped. Nobody cares about your abs if you look like you couldn’t tear your way out of a paper bag, and nobody will care about your 300lb benchpress if you are 300lbs.

I mean, I’ll care, but nobody else will

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Deads
135 x 10
225 x 6
1 x 275, 315, 345, 365, 390
5 x 410 (PR?), 365

RDL
315 x 3 x 8
Definitely a PR lol
135 x 12 just for blood flow

Bent DB rows
10 x 70s
8 x 80s
6 x 90s
4 x 100s
10 x 60s (form check + blood flow)

DB curls
5 x 45s, 50s, 45s

Ss back ext
+45lbs x 8, 10, 12

Supinated rows
3 x 10

Notes
410 was 1,2,1,1 with no more than max 15-20seconds reset (I counted)
365 was touch and go
Highest PR I can ever remember was 405 x 6 and 425 x 3. In theory my 1rm should already be a lifetime PR. Theory.
Had a bimbo pre workout to test the carb help.

Weight this morning

IMG20221201115933.jpg
Screenshot_2022-12-01-12-50-03-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think you have really been finding your groove in training and I wouldn’t jeopardize that with unnecessary cutting.

So any overall food reductions you make should be moderate, not all out. Time your nutrition accordingly for optimal performance.

You do NOT need to be fat to be strong. You just don’t want to focus on getting ripped. Nobody cares about your abs if you look like you couldn’t tear your way out of a paper bag, and nobody will care about your 300lb benchpress if you are 300lbs.

I mean, I’ll care, but nobody else will
I agree with you, I appreciate the support and vibe from you and the rest of the forum this year. As I approach mid Dec which has been my cut plan for months now, for the first time in a very long time I'm trying to figure out instead how to get stronger and thicker rather than abercrombie.

Todays session was a grind, your post came through just in time 🤘
I can tell I need more junk in the trunk, or something. more thickness for sure. I'm sitting somewhere over 10% and probably no higher than 15% right now. abs are there, but not at all like they were. I'm pretty happy with the physique and I'm curious to see how much weight I could possibly add staying at this bf.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
Lateral raises
Forward raises
DB curls
DB snatch

Bench
10 x 105, 145
3 x 175, 205, 225, 245
2 x 255
1 x 265, 270 (270 was ugly but...)
6 x 225
15 x 185

Hammer strength declines
70s x 10
90s x 10
115s x 8
135s x 6

Hammer strength inclines
3 x 10 x 45s

Honestly inclines make my shoulder pop so this was blood flow and rehab for me.

Machine dips
12 x 180
8 x 270
8 x 270
12 x 180 narrow inverse grip

Standing DB press
3 x 8 x 45s

DB curls
3 x 10 x 40s

Bb curls seated
3 sets heavy + 3 drop sets

Press all the things.
I never wanted this session to end
Might be the pre workout teriyaki.

Edit:
I lied. Couldn't get myself to stop today. Threw in

Dips
3 x 15

IMG20221202115116.jpg

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Warm up
Lateral raises
Forward raises
DB curls
DB snatch

Bench
10 x 105, 145
3 x 175, 205, 225, 245
2 x 255
1 x 265, 270 (270 was ugly but...)
6 x 225
15 x 185

Hammer strength declines
70s x 10
90s x 10
115s x 8
135s x 6

Hammer strength inclines
3 x 10 x 45s

Honestly inclines make my shoulder pop so this was blood flow and rehab for me.

Machine dips
12 x 180
8 x 270
8 x 270
12 x 180 narrow inverse grip

Standing DB press
3 x 8 x 45s

DB curls
3 x 10 x 40s

Bb curls seated
3 sets heavy + 3 drop sets

Press all the things.
I never wanted this session to end
Might be the pre workout teriyaki.

Edit:
I lied. Couldn't get myself to stop today. Threw in

Dips
3 x 15

View attachment 225606
Dam!!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the PR's yesterday and todays looked like a hell of a session too!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Finally made it in for a weekend session, had to make the trek over to Tacoma but this branch has heavier dumbbells so this should be my Tuesday stop.

Warm up
Front squats
Paused light back squats
RDLs etc

Squats
10 x 95
8 x 135
3 x 175, 205, 235, 265, 280, 290
10 x 225

Front squats
3 x 5 x 185

One legged DB deads
3 x 8 x 60lb DB

Pistol squats
12 x bw
2 x 6 x +10lb

Leg ext
3 x 12
Legs isolated

Leg curls machine
3 x 15

But I isolated legs. I can't believe I never thought to do this before. It's amazing how slow my left leg curls the same weight as my right leg.

It's not a lot but .. pistols are hard lol
Sweatiest part of the workout.

I know I have a massive deficiency in my left leg since the injury in 2015. It acts as a stabilizer in squats and DL and does no work. So I need to isolate it more and rebuild it better.

Hoping this extra session gives me pep for Mondays squats vs making recovery worse. But all I can figure at this point is i need more squats in my life.

Weight this morning

Threw in an OJ pre and intra workout for experimentation.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Average cals this week was about 2400/day

Which I know is low by this groups standard but:

I'm natural, 40, and at 185lbs my daily calories this week are up about 700 compared to Sept when I weighed exactly the same. So my mind is a little blown.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Average cals this week was about 2400/day

Which I know is low by this groups standard but:

I'm natural, 40, and at 185lbs my daily calories this week are up about 700 compared to Sept when I weighed exactly the same. So my mind is a little blown.
Nice job building it up, and don't worry about comparing calories others eat. We all have our set points. We can change them within reason. I am pretty happy I don't need tons of food to maintain mass. Definitely helps with the food bill.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice job building it up, and don't worry about comparing calories others eat. We all have our set points. We can change them within reason. I am pretty happy I don't need tons of food to maintain mass. Definitely helps with the food bill.
Literally the strongest raw powerlifter of all time, in sleeves & knee wraps, Dan Bell is over 400lbs and maintains on less than 4k calories a day.

He’s said his diet was routinely something like 1-2 meals of ground turkey & rice, a Jack’s pizza, a few beers after work, maybe a gas station type of meal - to be a +400lb mammoth of a man.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Literally the strongest raw powerlifter of all time, in sleeves & knee wraps, Dan Bell is over 400lbs and maintains on less than 4k calories a day.

He’s said his diet was routinely something like 1-2 meals of ground turkey & rice, a Jack’s pizza, a few beers after work, maybe a gas station type of meal - to be a +400lb mammoth of a man.
That’s wild, because he’s a big dude.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I mean that raises some questions for me into the nutritional value of alcohol as well. Although given the choice I'd rather have bourbon...

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey man, following along. Impressive bench numbers for your BW already!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just want to dive into that roast and not come up for air until I finish it!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Picked up a box of sticky rice single servings at Costco this weekend. Each one is 71g of carbs, 310 calories. I'm experimenting with nutrient timing pre workout so that's essentially what these are for.

As you can see one is already missing

IMG20221205103600.jpg

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Picked up a box of sticky rice single servings at Costco this weekend. Each one is 71g of carbs, 310 calories. I'm experimenting with nutrient timing pre workout so that's essentially what these are for.

As you can see one is already missing

View attachment 225710
Brett Wilkin was saying these are the tits. We don’t have Costco here and I haven’t found the equivalent at Sam’s Club.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
Reverse bb curls
RDLs
Front squats
Straight legged

All empty barbell

Squats
10 x 100, 140
3 x 180, 210, 240, 270, 285, 300
1 x 315
10 x 230

Front squats
3 x 5 x 190

Weighted chin ups
8 x +10lbs, +20lbs, +20lbs,

Ss with Bulgarian squats
10 x bw
3 x 8 x +60lbs

Adductor machine
5 sets

DB armbars
3 x each arm 32.5lb db
Just extra shoulder prehab

Felt a twinge on squats in the groin to attempting prehab work just in case. I hate the adductor machine lol

Added 5lbs to all warmup/work sets
Expect 295 became 300 cause... Too close not to try.

I think the isolated leg work is helping. Left leg definitely contributing more today.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice session!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Brett Wilkin was saying these are the tits. We don’t have Costco here and I haven’t found the equivalent at Sam’s Club.
I think once upon a time I found something similar at Safeway. 71g carbs and 310 cals via sticky rice is incredibly easy to pound and I keep a gallon of hot sauce at work anyways so drench it in the red stuff and it's like candy. todays glute and quad pump definitely seemed carb induced.

Nice session!
Thanks man! planned my top set to be 295 today but 300lbs looked too close as yoga pants walked by so I figured what's 5 more lbs lol. really wanted to throw in some more leg isolation stuff like pistol squats but I was just worked over hard by the time the bulgarians were done.

Breakfast 6:30am
1 cup grits, + 6oz of ground pork
10:30am
71g carbs via that sticky rice cup
11:30am lift
12:00pm protein shake intra workout
2:00pm: now I gotta force down lunch
2 cups salad, 6oz ground turkey, 1/2 cup jasmine rice.

I still have egg whites in the fridge for snacks and dinner tonight will be tilapia and brussels most likely.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Team cooked-weight.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This weekend went from a cheat meal to a cheat weekend. Basically only one meal a day, but +bourbon. Starting with Fridays cheese steak, Saturday Mexican after a big viking fest we attended, Sunday night not really a cheat but plenty of beef and potatoes.

Last night wife was running late for dinner so before I cooked up the tilapia I snacked on another 3-4oz of beef.

Monday morning woke up at 190.5lbs lol
This morning back to 187. I don't honestly care I just want increases to be controlled and would like to stay at this body fat (or even better) if I could without losing strength. Obviously right now when given the option I'm choosing to eat and support strength vs cut.

Finished at 2300 cals yesterday. I just couldn't get any more egg whites into me for my normal daily snacks.
Screenshot_2022-12-06-07-12-59-74_2db7e03cdde0f3f4440faa6ac3bef5af.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Team Cooked Weight - how do you go about figuring out your macros accurately with cooked meats? So many variables to keep track of, like having to know how much water solution was injected in it prior to cooking and whatnot? As most of that will be released during the cooking process. I mean it doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent regardless of if you are getting in the exact macros you think you are when you add or subtract you are still adding or subtracting.

I did a test on my ground turkey and found I lose about 25% of weight going from raw to cooked at one point. Same with chicken breasts from the store which made sense considering from the store it came saying there was a 20% saline water injection in them which is counted into the macros on the label.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Always cooked, what are your thoughts?
Team cooked-weight.
Team Cooked as well.

Team Cooked Weight - how do you go about figuring out your macros accurately with cooked meats? So many variables to keep track of, like having to know how much water solution was injected in it prior to cooking and whatnot? As most of that will be released during the cooking process. I mean it doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent regardless of if you are getting in the exact macros you think you are when you add or subtract you are still adding or subtracting.

I did a test on my ground turkey and found I lose about 25% of weight going from raw to cooked at one point. Same with chicken breasts from the store which made sense considering from the store it came saying there was a 20% saline water injection in them which is counted into the macros on the label.
I know I want about 8oz portions generally, and like you said it’s usually about 1/4 loss, so 6oz cooked is going to approximately yield my arbitrarily selected 8oz portions (which is based on food packaging often revolving around 4oz and pound delineations, and generally desiring 40+ grams of protein in a meal).

I consistently buy the same products from the same places generally, cooked to similar levels of doneness on similar heat/time settings, so it really is mostly about consistency of process and approximation.

Same as measuring raw - those macros are merely approximations by the food industry; they constantly vary.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Team Cooked as well.

I know I want about 8oz portions generally, and like you said it’s usually about 1/4 loss, so 6oz cooked is going to approximately yield my arbitrarily selected 8oz portions (which is based on food packaging often revolving around 4oz and pound delineations, and generally desiring 40+ grams of protein in a meal).

I consistently buy the same products from the same places generally, cooked to similar levels of doneness on similar heat/time settings, so it really is mostly about consistency of process and approximation.

Same as measuring raw - those macros are merely approximations by the food industry; they constantly vary.

cooked vs uncooked nutritional/portion values is a constant battle of research for me on everything from meats to rice and grits. I know that if I cook 2lbs of ground turkey on Sunday I don't get 32oz. not even close. 25% might be the right margin of error. tons of water cooks out of it in the pan which I drain.

I have all matching tupperwares (OCD). My smaller ones I fill with 1 cup of grits (or rice, or carb of choice) put tupperware on food scale, zero it out, then start scooping cooked meat into it until I hit my target (currently 6oz).

same with lunch. I use medium-large size tupperware, jam it full of salad stuff, add my measured scoop of cooked carbs. zero it out on food scale and then start scooping meat in until it hits my ounces.

these things COULD be off, but I'm guessing the margin of error is slim because if I was maintaining, and doing well at 1700 ish calories before I don't reckon that my actual calories was much lower than that. I mean at 185lbs I'm no record holding power lifter but my conditioning is just fine and my strength numbers were going up even before I ramped up my calories so I doubt I was only getting say 1200 cals.

my wife does the exact same thing measures the same way. the biggest difference between she and I is she is struggling to find barbell time and I think she needs to reverse diet.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
As far as consistency goes, we are the same. Every sunday we have our grocery store circuit. Costco for produce, egg whites, chicken, turkey. then over to albertsons for whatever produce/meat costco didn't have. Occasionally hit fred meyers when chicken is on a deep discount. My wife is good about being frugal with groceries and we have a large deep freeze that we keep pretty full between the farm beef, my brothers alaska fishing, and what poultry my wife gets at the store.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I measure carbs dry, it’s meat that is too messy and much trouble to weigh raw.

Whatever methods you use, people will be successful if they are consistent in their efforts. If there is massive variety constantly, it will be more up in the air ultimately.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same as above, I’m consistent. Meats from the same places. Pasta cooked by the package weight then divided up evenly by the cooked weight.

Macros don’t quite fit that huge burger? Nuke it another 30 seconds (kinda kidding)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
Lateral raisea
Forward raises
DB curls
Incline DB bench
All light

DB bench
12 x 55s
8 x 65s
5 x 75s, 85s, 95s
3 x 105s (PR)
4 x 105s (PR)
4 x 105s (no PR )
9 x 90s
15 x 70s (holy ****)

Machine curls
12 x 70
8 x 80
6 x 90

Hammer strength dips
12 x 180
10 x 230
8 x 280
20 x 180
Serious runners high here

Ss with single arm curls
3 sets

Hammer strength declines
12 x 90s
10 x 100s
8 x 110s

Hammer strength inclines
3 x 10 x 55s

Cooled off with some lateral raises, DB curls, and bodyweight dips.

Never played with 105lb dbs before. In theory... Theory, that would translate to some reps at 260lbs+. We'll see. Massive pump today. Pounded my 71g of carbs/rice 60min prior to lift.

Those 70s were flying like 45s.

Weight

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice pressy PR!
Indeed - turns out the man just needed to start running the right octane fuel for optimal performance!
IDK wtf is going on. The wave of euphoria (runners high) i'm getting on some sets is mind blowing. I'm going as hard as I can until I start to feel the pump fade then try to taper off and am pounding my protein intra workout as well. More nutrients, better timing, all of it. things are just really falling in place as long as this little twinge in my groin stays under control.

I do feel like my pressing days are my laziest and even though I go in with a plan, I feel like my accessory lifts for press are subpar and I should be doing more. Yesterdays decline sets for instance was only because every other option in the gym was busy and I needed to push heavy weight while still feeling it.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I keep hearing Arnolds voice in my head talking about the "pump" in pumping iron lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great stuff on the weighing before and after cooking. I have done both, and still use the 25% loss as my guide any time I did not weigh the meat prior to cooking. Like discussed by all of us the key there is to try to have consistency. It is all an estimate anyway so as long as we are consistent in how we do this we will be able to make progress.

Congrats on manhandling those 105's for the PR! So did you add anything to the rice for flavoring? I like a little Tony's in mine if not mixing it with anything else.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Great stuff on the weighing before and after cooking. I have done both, and still use the 25% loss as my guide any time I did not weigh the meat prior to cooking. Like discussed by all of us the key there is to try to have consistency. It is all an estimate anyway so as long as we are consistent in how we do this we will be able to make progress.

Congrats on manhandling those 105's for the PR! So did you add anything to the rice for flavoring? I like a little Tony's in mine if not mixing it with anything else.
Thanks bro!
Been having blast testing new numbers lately.
Also I'm a bit of a hot sauce junkie. This is the shelf in the fridge at my office right now lol. I have hot sauce on every meal including my salads (instead of dressing)
IMG20221207075703.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That looks like my hot sauce collection! It's funny people who say they like spicy foods come over and say they are going to try them then are like HOLY ****! What is this and how do you eat it. About 6 of my sauces are in the millions of scoville units and yes I actually use them other than to trick people into pain.

If you like a Mediterranean / Indian vibe you should check out Matouk's Flambeau Sauce! Great flavor and hot enough to make you sweat but not so hot you can't use enough to add flavor. It is awesome on chicken wings too!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ahaha that's awesome
my wife and the girls complain that the medium salsa is too warm. they wont' touch my stuff 😂
when we had a mexican exchange student living with us they asked her what she missed the most and she said "flavor" but she meant "hot" lol 😂😂