Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
hows this for a self image roller coast
wore shorts to the gym this week for the first time in ages and thought damn did my calves shrink? LOLOLOL

yesterday had a plumber at my house. I thought he kept looking at my tattoo or my scar on my arm that pokes just out of my sleeve. I kept following his eyes and finally he just blurts out "man you have giant pecs, how the hell did you build boobies like that? is that like just a born with it great genetics thing or hard work in the gym?" 😅😅😅😅😅

I pointed over to tacoma and said $4k for implants 😅😅

haha great for the ego though, cool compliment to receive.
You have got to love that. I apparently ran across one of those middle aged women that like a burly man with lots of muscle and a lil extra table muscle. While I was walking at lunch this lady looked over at me and damn near snapped her neck trying to turn around to look as she passed by in her car. It was a thirsty azz look too. So I took it as a high compliment! I always have a little bit of insecurity with my shirt off when I am not lean enough so that felt really good.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You have got to love that. I apparently ran across one of those middle aged women that like a burly man with lots of muscle and a lil extra table muscle. While I was walking at lunch this lady looked over at me and damn near snapped her neck trying to turn around to look as she passed by in her car. It was a thirsty azz look too. So I took it as a high compliment! I always have a little bit of insecurity with my shirt off when I am not lean enough so that felt really good.
Haha good stuff!!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
DB curls
Lateral raises
Forward raises

Bench
3 x 10 x 135
10 x 185
5 x 225, 240

+ Redband
3 x 5 x 205

CGBP + redband
3 x 10 x 135

DB bench
3 x 10 x 60s

EZ bar curls
10 x 60, 70, 80, 90
2 x 20 x 50

Tricep cable pull downs
3 x 15

Machine curls
3 sets

Weight
Weds head cold hit me hard yesterday so self medicated with pho last night, whiskey, elderberry, C, zinc, turmeric, electrolytes. Probably holding a lot of water. Meant to go light volume today and really thought it would suck but once I started lifting I just... Wanted to go a little heavier.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
actually I can't say I hate squats. there are times where I'm stoked to go for it, but deads and bench are definitely my favorites and I really enjoy the accessories to build them so there is probably something there.
Same for me with squats. A love/ hate relationship. There are times I looked forward to squats and cannot wait and other times looking for any reason to pass on the session.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Same for me with squats. A love/ hate relationship. There are times I looked forward to squats and cannot wait and other times looking for any reason to pass on the session.
About the only time I don't look forward to squats is if I have a nagging injury I think might hamper the session. When I am feeling good I normally want to squat at least a little bit. However for many years I was not a fan. Then again, I wasn't getting much hypertrophy response in my quads from them before moving to higher bar squats.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
About the only time I don't look forward to squats is if I have a nagging injury I think might hamper the session. When I am feeling good I normally want to squat at least a little bit. However for many years I was not a fan. Then again, I wasn't getting much hypertrophy response in my quads from them before moving to higher bar squats.
Back when I squatted Really Heavy I couldn't wait for leg day !

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
DB RDLs
Goblet squats
Double DB front squats
DB curls
Waiting for rack

Squats

5 x 135
3 x 185, 225, 275, 290

+ Redband from bottom
5 x 225

+ Green band from bottom
5 x 225, 245
10 x 185 (holy hammies lol)

No band / high bar
20 x 135

Front squats (for speed)
3 x 10 x 95
Felt so good at fast xfit style pace

Leg ext
6 sets

Notes
Trying to treat squats like I did bench since that's worked for some PRs this year.

Went to thicker green band for extra resistance. Not sure how much it added, but some.

I think I can already see some progress breaking through the mid point on squats from previous banded sessions

Another one of those days where discipline had to get me in the door but ended up feeling like an awesome session.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Notes
Trying to treat squats like I did bench since that's worked for some PRs this year.

Went to thicker green band for extra resistance. Not sure how much it added, but some.

I think I can already see some progress breaking through the mid point on squats from previous banded sessions

Another one of those days where discipline had to get me in the door but ended up feeling like an awesome session.
Great Idea !

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Holy squats Batman!
Tried man, tried.
In the trenches of that workout, I thought... I might not have the strongest squat today, but I won't be outworked. I was really busting my ass, but looking back I'm like, man I should have had twice that volume...

idk... keep on chipping away! but I think the bands are doing something...

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Tried man, tried.
In the trenches of that workout, I thought... I might not have the strongest squat today, but I won't be outworked. I was really busting my ass, but looking back I'm like, man I should have had twice that volume...

idk... keep on chipping away! but I think the bands are doing something...
This is where success comes from !!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
OHP
10 x 95
5 x 135, 155

Bench
15 x 95 (wide grip)
10 x 135
1 x 185, 205, 230, 255, 275
1 x 290 (Pr tie, seemed easy)
1 x 300 (missed, had to try)

+ Red band from bottom
3 x 5 x 225
2 x 10 x 185

No band
20 x 155, 135

Awesome session, I'd still be lifting if I didn't run out of time.

Stopped AXT a week ago cause nips started acting up. Only on epiandroLean and phosphatidic XT plus pump addict

I would not have made the PR attempt except warmups felt so crazy light I felt like It was worth chasing today. 290 honestly did not feel that challenging, I was torn between jumping from 275 > 295 to get a PR in the bag, or straight to 300, or just tying 290. probably should have hit 295 instead. I had one big effort in me, apparently not 2?

I slide like 2" down the bench as well on that 290 lift. so considering I was sliding down the bench, did not get stuck, had a good rep, I truly thought I had 300 in the bag. but it was damn close. I'll get it soon.

I'm finding warming up with OHP is leading to a better bench day!

IMG20230510120128.jpg
Screenshot_2023-05-10-11-37-39-84_801c3494cc30bc6d615367769f98046d.jpg

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice effort, I bet you had 295 maybe even the 300 if you had started with that after the 275.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice effort, I bet you had 295 maybe even the 300 if you had started with that after the 275.
thanks man I appreciate it and 100% think you're right. it's so weird.
didn't want to waist an effort at 295 if I had 300 in me
Didn't want to fail a 300 if I had 290 in me
didn't want to risk too big of a jump in case I had 2 efforts in me
so fell back, in the end, to the PR tie.

Not a bad session though and to be honest I'm really really happy about how comfortable I am getting just HOLDING and unracking 300+lbs these days considering it wasn't long ago that my heaviest lift in the last 3 years was like 270 ish and it was a struggle. even my failed reps feel better than my old successful reps!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
thanks man I appreciate it and 100% think you're right. it's so weird.
didn't want to waist an effort at 295 if I had 300 in me
Didn't want to fail a 300 if I had 290 in me
didn't want to risk too big of a jump in case I had 2 efforts in me
so fell back, in the end, to the PR tie.

Not a bad session though and to be honest I'm really really happy about how comfortable I am getting just HOLDING and unracking 300+lbs these days considering it wasn't long ago that my heaviest lift in the last 3 years was like 270 ish and it was a struggle. even my failed reps feel better than my old successful reps!
That's damn good stuff!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Criss cross the bands on the bench pad. Won't slide then. Pr is there for the taking. Next time you will get it.
oh this time the sliding was my back sliding up the bench on the 290 rep.
Maybe there is something to my form where my leg drive was off and it just skirted me up but even while my head was sliding up the bench I hit that 290 fairly easy so I thought for sure i had another one in me lol.

I'm jazzed. so close. LOVING bench lately

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Criss cross the bands on the bench pad. Won't slide then. Pr is there for the taking. Next time you will get it.
^This!

Gotta band up on that style of bench if you slide. You really want to think about standing up on and driving down into your traps as you drive through the heels and push knees out.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
^This!

Gotta band up on that style of bench if you slide. You really want to think about standing up on and driving down into your traps as you drive through the heels and push knees out.
I think I misunderstood what you guys meant at first. do you mean simply using another band on the pad to create a stickier surface for my back?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This is one method for that it is not criss crossed but it give you an idea.

This one also has an easy one with contact paper about halfway through. I have the video set to where he starts talking about the 2 options he recommends.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
OK that makes a lot more sense, at first I thought they meant in regards to how the band is attached to the barbell lol
I will give this a try

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Knocked out an extra 35minutes fasted LISS today.
Went by crazy fast, good chance to catch up on some spanish lessons...

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, try lifting your big toe in your shoe when doing the movement. You may be pleasantly surprised. This is probably my favorite bench tip from Ed Coan

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Also, try lifting your big toe in your shoe when doing the movement. You may be pleasantly surprised. This is probably my favorite bench tip from Ed Coan
Lift big toe to drive through heel? That's an interesting one I will definitely try. It's counter intuitive to me since I've also heard people say curl the big toe on squats ! Crazy but just sitting here doing it in my chair I can picture how it might help

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lift big toe to drive through heel? That's an interesting one I will definitely try. It's counter intuitive to me since I've also heard people say curl the big toe on squats ! Crazy but just sitting here doing it in my chair I can picture how it might help
It helps engage lats and stops your feet from trying to drive you up the bench. Weird but true lol

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Some people press the big toe down, I’ve tried both and lifting is my golden ticket.
This cue definitely works IME
yeah just sitting in my chair lifting the big toe activates calves and feels like it "pulls me" even if I'm driving through my heels, but curling the toe is more quad activating and feels like it pushes me. good tip, I'll throw it in !

Now if only every day was bench day

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
yeah just sitting in my chair lifting the big toe activates calves and feels like it "pulls me" even if I'm driving through my heels, but curling the toe is more quad activating and feels like it pushes me. good tip, I'll throw it in !

Now if only every day was bench day
It can be if you’re big Jim Williams:

I hesitated to even post this, because I don’t want to lead you astray. What the first 700lb raw bencher did and what you should do aren’t the same thing. He essentially figured out a Sheiko-style super-high-frequency bench routine with modulated total volume across blocks instinctively. Big Jim is the 0.01% at the very end of the bell curve. But it is a great read.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Uh Oh Dustin gonna be pushing 315 over a big toe modification!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It can be if you’re big Jim Williams:

I hesitated to even post this, because I don’t want to lead you astray. What the first 700lb raw bencher did and what you should do aren’t the same thing. He essentially figured out a Sheiko-style super-high-frequency bench routine with modulated total volume across blocks instinctively. Big Jim is the 0.01% at the very end of the bell curve. But it is a great read.
Also Brady Stewart doing heavy ass, cold no warmup singles and doubles every day. Outliers……
Or conditioned…..

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Also Brady Stewart doing heavy ass, cold no warmup singles and doubles every day. Outliers……
Or conditioned…..
You know how you go in and warm up for 20 minutes, put on all the right clothes, grab your wrist wraps etc so that you can struggle to hit the days training weight but for some reason if you happen to be at your buddies (or my dads in my case) after a beer or a glass of whiskey you sit down on the home gym with the boys and pound out that same weight cold like it's nothing with no wrist wraps in work loafers or some ****? LOL

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You know how you go in and warm up for 20 minutes, put on all the right clothes, grab your wrist wraps etc so that you can struggle to hit the days training weight but for some reason if you happen to be at your buddies (or my dads in my case) after a beer or a glass of whiskey you sit down on the home gym with the boys and pound out that same weight cold like it's nothing with no wrist wraps in work loafers or some ****? LOL
Yep, don't underestimate the power of wanting to impress others. It is a huge factor. Part of the reason a partner who pushes you is so great!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Exactly! Mindset is everything.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
Bb rows, RDLs

Deads
10 x 135, 225
3 x 275, 315, 350, 385

+Green band
5 x 315

+2 green bands
5 x 315, 315

No bands
15 x 225

Super set
DB curls, TRI extensions.

Notes
Was sorta shocked how heavy everything felt today so I tried to get some meaningful work in before calling it. The double green band was awesome. Had hoped to do it at 385 today but things just weren't aligning and my form was really off so didn't want to risk injury unnecessarily.

Weight was 194 this morning so still trending down

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Or when your gassed, some yoga pants start bending over in front of you and you’re the Hulk lol
I tore four times today and almost zero external motivation showed up, usually there's so much free floating testosterone walking around this gym it's hard not to PR
IMG20230512121553.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you want that to dry up and heal faster cover it in salt, and then just add a tiny bit of water and then clench it up in your fist and hold on tight for a couple minutes of intense burn. It will dry that fresh pink skin up over the course of the night so it isn't tender and you can get back to lifting comfortably faster. Just be warned although this works and well, it is very painful for a couple minutes while the salt penetrates that newly exposed skin. It basically dries it out and makes it toughen up overnight.

Also, I recommend getting yourself a Pedi-Egg to shave your callouses down regularly. It leaves them smooth but doesn't take of the lower layer of callous. I use mine about every 2-3 weeks an any time I noticed the callous build up getting thick enough to cause it to rip off. Plus any time it gets scratchy so I can still touch my wife.

Find on AMAZON here. https://www.amazon.com/Painlessly-Calluses-Precision-Micro-Blades-Mess-Free/dp/B007ZW9TTE/ref=asc_df_B007ZW9TTE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=564744653215&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5826594084592853227&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060296&hvtargid=pla-1653302441979&th=1

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you want that to dry up and heal faster cover it in salt, and then just add a tiny bit of water and then clench it up in your fist and hold on tight for a couple minutes of intense burn. It will dry that fresh pink skin up over the course of the night so it isn't tender and you can get back to lifting comfortably faster. Just be warned although this works and well, it is very painful for a couple minutes while the salt penetrates that newly exposed skin. It basically dries it out and makes it toughen up overnight.

Also, I recommend getting yourself a Pedi-Egg to shave your callouses down regularly. It leaves them smooth but doesn't take of the lower layer of callous. I use mine about every 2-3 weeks an any time I noticed the callous build up getting thick enough to cause it to rip off. Plus any time it gets scratchy so I can still touch my wife.

View attachment 232101

Find on AMAZON here. https://www.amazon.com/Painlessly-Calluses-Precision-Micro-Blades-Mess-Free/dp/B007ZW9TTE/ref=asc_df_B007ZW9TTE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=564744653215&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5826594084592853227&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060296&hvtargid=pla-1653302441979&th=1
Your taking away one of my favorite ways to annoy my wife! Lol