Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Talenti Peanut Butter Fudge Sorbetto
Grade: B+
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/540/talenti-peanut-butter-fudge-sorbetto

"Rich, creamy, vegan peanut butter sorbetto with a decadent swirl of dairy free fudge."

After taking my first bite I almost dropped my spoon. I am going to say this right now as this is the best peanut butter base I have ever scooped. I would put it against any of the elite's (Salt & Straw, Ample Hills, Clementines) and this would win every single time

Talenti has never been know to have incredible swirls, as this flavor follows suit with their lineup. You can see small streaks along the outside of the jar, but that is about as much as you get.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Talenti Peanut Butter Fudge Sorbetto
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/540/talenti-peanut-butter-fudge-sorbetto

"Rich, creamy, vegan peanut butter sorbetto with a decadent swirl of dairy free fudge."

After taking my first bite I almost dropped my spoon. I am going to say this right now as this is the best peanut butter base I have ever scooped. I would put it against any of the elite's (Salt & Straw, Ample Hills, Clementines) and this would win every single time

Talenti has never been know to have incredible swirls, as this flavor follows suit with their lineup. You can see small streaks along the outside of the jar, but that is about as much as you get.
I can attest to the amazing pb flavor here...incredible. explains the high cals too lol

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Free cone day at B&J scoop shops tomorrow (for those close to one)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Clementine's Italian Butter Cookie:
Grade: A-
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/535/clementines-italian-butter-cookie

"Speculoos Cookie Butter base with Italian Butter Cookies"

The base ice cream is pure gold when it comes to replicating speculoos. My best comparison would be taking Little G's cookie butter base, and enhancing the density.

The Italian butter cookies are incredible. What boggles my mind is how fresh they stay when frozen in an ice cream. Most people would think the cookies would turn to rocks, but they still provide a freshly baked texture when biting into them.

Simple, but executed perfectly.

boflex78

boflex78

Awards
  • Established
Blue Bell Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough

10/10 would eat again

Ate it all before I could take a pic and review it properly

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just discovered this Chillycow. Comes in a stack of 2 half pints.
I've had the Brownie Batter and it's crazy good. Just picked up the other three to try.

chill cow.png

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just discovered this Chillycow. Comes in a stack of 2 half pints.
I've had the Brownie Batter and it's crazy good. Just picked up the other three to try.

View attachment 163763
I had the graham swirl a few weeks ago and it was very disappointing... basically just vanilla with a few very small graham specks. Will have to try the brownie tho now that you said that.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Haagen Dazs Honey Salted Caramel Almond
Grade: C+
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/545/haagen-honey-salted-caramel-almond

"blend of honey ice cream, swirls of salted caramel, and crunchy toasted almonds".

The honey base is pure and luscious. Haagen Dazs is very good in the game when it comes to making a fantastic base. If you ask me they are the biggest sleeper for grocery ice cream when it comes to premium ice cream.

While the honey base was great the caramel swirls were far from showing up. The more I dug down the pint it seemed like the less luck I had.
The almond pieces were perfect in size. These were not flakes or massive halved almonds, but just large enough to be easy on your teeth and give you the desired crunch.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Coolhaus' CampFire S'mores:
Grade: B-
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/548/coolhaus-campfire-smores

"Salted tahitian vanilla bean ice cream with a graham cracker cookie butter-marshmallow swirl and dark chocolate squares."

The vanilla bean base is tasty, but there is room for improvement. The first thing I noticed was the amount of salt was not strong enough to be deemed salty vanilla bean. While it is present it needs to be amplified. The next thing I noted was the base has a gummy and fluffy consistency to it.

After digging into the first few bites that was the only mix-in I came across until I got about half way through the experience. This is when I picked up more mix-ins but mostly swirl. Throughout the pint I had 5 total chocolate squares which provide the necessary chocolate compliment to a s'more.

timmy8888

Awards
  • Established
Coolhaus' CampFire S'mores:
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/548/coolhaus-campfire-smores

"Salted tahitian vanilla bean ice cream with a graham cracker cookie butter-marshmallow swirl and dark chocolate squares."

The vanilla bean base is tasty, but there is room for improvement. The first thing I noticed was the amount of salt was not strong enough to be deemed salty vanilla bean. While it is present it needs to be amplified. The next thing I noted was the base has a gummy and fluffy consistency to it.

After digging into the first few bites that was the only mix-in I came across until I got about half way through the experience. This is when I picked up more mix-ins but mostly swirl. Throughout the pint I had 5 total chocolate squares which provide the necessary chocolate compliment to a s'more.
Completely agree with review; tried this flavor just this past Saturday. My favorite I have had is mascarpone and fig by coolhaus and smores one was more of a let down in terms of not living up to the smores flavor and saltiness in the base of ice cream. Only thing I'll give this ice cream is my pint had a ton of that cookie butter swirl and I enjoyed it but definitely didn't justify the price.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
B and J's is becoming so repetitive uncreative. I mean they literally have too S'mores flavors out right now. Plus everything has those damn fudge flakes in it now.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Haagen Dazs Banana Peanut Butter Chip
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/546/haagen-dazs-banana-peanut-butter

"Ribbons of rich peanut butter and bits of chocolate chips are folded into sweet banana ice cream"

Base tastes like Banana Laffy Taffy. It needs more density and flavor. Wegmans Banana destroys it so does Steve's Banana Pudding

The PB Swirl is thick, nearly identical to Turkey Hill's that has a crunchy texture to it (not a smooth PB)
The chocolate chips are spread evenly from top to bottom, no complains there.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had a coupon that brought Enlightened down to $2 for a pint at Kroger, so I grabbed Movie Night -- first time I'd seen it (granted, I don't really follow the healthy ice creams all that closely anymore lol).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Had a coupon that brought Enlightened down to $2 for a pint at Kroger, so I grabbed Movie Night -- first time I'd seen it (granted, I don't really follow the healthy ice creams all that closely anymore lol).
Its pretty solid... the publix by me just started stocking enlightened a few weeks back and had them bogo for $4... I bought like 12 ha.

If you see the s'mores, BUY IT. it may be better than any s'mores ice cream I've ever had. swirls galore and flavor for days.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Graeter's with the hookup

Will get the new flavor sometime next week when I can get down to pittsburgh. Ill report back.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Coolhaus Balsamic Fig & Mascarpone

"Italian Mascarpone ice cream with balsamic glazed figs."

http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/549/coolhaus-balsamic-fig-mascarpone

Digging into my first bite this base is good. While the density is not as rich as say Gelato Fiasco's Mascarpone Pistachio this is still very good for 190 calories a serving.

The Figs provide a chewy compliment to a quality base that has a acidic aftertaste from the addition of balsamic. While this is a unique twist on a fig it really compliments everything well

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Graeter’s Rocky Road
Grade: B
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/552/graeters-rocky-road

Traditional dutch milk chocolate ice cream with mini marshmallows and roasted, salted and buttered almonds.

This chocolate is a good step up from what you would find from grocery brands. Right away the density of the ice cream as expected is thick and rich. The flavoring is true to its name with a strong initial taste, and a bold aftertaste that helps enhance the experience.

The mini marshmallows were nice. At first I thought they may be rock hard, but that is not the case.The roasted, salted, and buttered almonds provide the extra icing on the cake due to the saltiness.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thoughts vs their Smores?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thoughts vs their Smores?
Your comparing two totally different flavors
graham cracker base + Chocolate Chips + Marshmallows
Chocolate + Marshmallow + Almonds

I would personally take S'mores in a heartbeat (hence A- Grade), but then again I don't care for nuts too much in ice cream. They added some saltiness to help flavor, but other then that its a nice crunch.

I got word on some of the other bonus flavors this summer. You guys are in for a treat
I also got to tour their new Graeter's Food truck in pittsburgh, was damn cool!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Duck Crackling w/ Cherry Preserves
with Duck Fat Ice Cream & Honey Gastrique
Chef Traci Des Jardins – Jardinière, San Francisco
Inspired by Duck Confit Salad with Salted Kumquats and Rooftop Honey Gastrique

Jeweled Brown Butter Rice Gelato
with Pumpkin Seed Caramel & Verjus-Cured Currants
Chefs Sara Kramer & Sarah Hymanson- Kismet, Los Angeles
Inspired by Kismet’s signature dish, Jeweled Crispy Rice

Roasted Beets & Humboldt Fog
with Apple-Beet Jam & Candied Walnuts
Chef Brian Malarkey – Herb & Wood, San Diego
Inspired by Brian’s Roasted Beets with Burrata, Sherry and Walnut Pesto

Tokyo PB&J
with Japanese Whiskey-Spiked Strawberry Jam, Peanut Butter & Caramelized White Chocolate Feuilletine, in Toasted Rice & White Soy Ice Cream
Chef Gabriel Rucker – Le Pigeon, Portland
Inspired by Gabe’s savory roasted rice ice cream from the Le Pigeon menu

Ras el Hanout & Pickled Rose Petal Jam
Chef Renee Erickson – Walrus & the Carpenter, Seattle
Inspired by Renee’s famous rose petal harissa from her restaurant The Whale Wins

Salt and straw for June

timmy8888

Awards
  • Established
Duck Crackling w/ Cherry Preserves
with Duck Fat Ice Cream & Honey Gastrique
Chef Traci Des Jardins – Jardinière, San Francisco
Inspired by Duck Confit Salad with Salted Kumquats and Rooftop Honey Gastrique

Jeweled Brown Butter Rice Gelato
with Pumpkin Seed Caramel & Verjus-Cured Currants
Chefs Sara Kramer & Sarah Hymanson- Kismet, Los Angeles
Inspired by Kismet’s signature dish, Jeweled Crispy Rice

Roasted Beets & Humboldt Fog
with Apple-Beet Jam & Candied Walnuts
Chef Brian Malarkey – Herb & Wood, San Diego
Inspired by Brian’s Roasted Beets with Burrata, Sherry and Walnut Pesto

Tokyo PB&J
with Japanese Whiskey-Spiked Strawberry Jam, Peanut Butter & Caramelized White Chocolate Feuilletine, in Toasted Rice & White Soy Ice Cream
Chef Gabriel Rucker – Le Pigeon, Portland
Inspired by Gabe’s savory roasted rice ice cream from the Le Pigeon menu

Ras el Hanout & Pickled Rose Petal Jam
Chef Renee Erickson – Walrus & the Carpenter, Seattle
Inspired by Renee’s famous rose petal harissa from her restaurant The Whale Wins

Salt and straw for June
Those flavors definitely sound unique. From your experience does Salt and Straw nail these styles of flavors?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Those flavors definitely sound unique. From your experience does Salt and Straw nail these styles of flavors?
Just depends on your taste preferences. I don't always get very unique stuff but they are doing a Collab with the top chefs in California, so my guess is yes.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Chunky Chunky Hippo comes back tomorrow for the summer

New bonus flavor of Graeter's drops monday.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Clementine's Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Pecan
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/536/clementines-gooey-pumpkin-caramel-pecan

My Updated Pumpkin Rankings:

1. Handels Pumpkin Ripple
2. Clementine's Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Pecan
3. Coldstone Pumpkin Cheesecake
4. Talenti's Pumpkin Pie
5. Turkey Hill Pumpkin Pie
2. Jeni's Buttercup Pumpkin
5. Perry's Pumpkin Pie
7. Trader Joe's Pumpkin
8. Ben & Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake
9. Dairy Queen Pumpkin Pie Blizzard
10. Graeters Pumpkin

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Clementine's Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Pecan
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/536/clementines-gooey-pumpkin-caramel-pecan

My Updated Pumpkin Rankings:

1. Handels Pumpkin Ripple
2. Clementine's Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Pecan
3. Coldstone Pumpkin Cheesecake
4. Talenti's Pumpkin Pie
5. Turkey Hill Pumpkin Pie
2. Jeni's Buttercup Pumpkin
5. Perry's Pumpkin Pie
7. Trader Joe's Pumpkin
8. Ben & Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake
9. Dairy Queen Pumpkin Pie Blizzard
10. Graeters Pumpkin
You forgot lake effect lol

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Haagen Dazs White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle:
Grade:
http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/547/haagen-white-chocolate-raspberry-truffle

"pure white chocolate ice cream and swirl in satisfying chunks of chocolaty fudge truffles and a tangy raspberry ribbon."

This is easily the best white chocolate base I have ever had. New Orleans White Chocolate Bread Pudding was good, but this puts it in the dust. The word pure is absolutely spot on.

Graeter's has set the bar high with their black raspberry chocolate chip flavor which is their top flavor. The tangy raspberry ribbon is the correct wording because it gives you tart initial taste and a rich burst of flavor in the aftertaste.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Graeter's Strawberry Chocolate Chip:
Grade: B

http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/551/graeters-strawberry-chocolate-chip

"The decadent inclusion of our dark chocolate chips adds a seductive layer to our beloved strawberry ice cream"

What you will notice as you scoop this flavor are chunks of freeze dried strawberries to help enhance the strong tasting base

Graeter's french pot process delivers quality chocolate chips that will raise your eyebrow with how large they can be!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Graeter's Next Bonus Flavor:
Peppermint Stick Chocolate Chip:

Available for the next 2 weeks for online ordering and in scoop shops.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grabbed Cotton Candy finally when I was up in Cincy the other day. Pretty good. Not too different from DQ's blizzard flavoring.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
June S&S Chef Collab Reviews

��Duck Crackling with Cherry Preserves: (Grade: B+)

��Full Review Here: http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/559/salt-straw-crackling-cherry-preserves

��Tokyo PB&J (Grade: F)

��Full Review Here: http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/560/salt-straw-tokyo-pb

��Jeweled Brown butter Rice Gelato (Grade: B+)

��Full Review Here: http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/561/straw-jeweled-brown-butter-gelato

��Roasted Beets & Hamoboldt Fog: (Grade: C)

��Full Review Here: http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/562/salt-straw-roasted-beets-hamoboldt

��Ras el Hanout & Pickled Rose Petal Jam (Grade: B-)

��Full Review Here: http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/563/salt-straw-hanout-pickled-petal

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hard to beat plain old chocolate Hagen dazs for me. It’s just perfect as is. There’s a place around here called butter and cream that makes great ice creams but it’s usually chocolate cinnamon, or they had a chocolate chili flavor one time.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had Handels for the first time last night. Very good, but still love Graeters more ☺