the real attitude of all cops

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mistakes will be made but they should not be made.There isn't a system alive today that has a zero mishap rating. The built in process allows for those mistakes to be made because so many levels of administration get involved. The number of wrong hits and fatalities too far is the exact number(s) needed to have the offending laws and/or policies amended or rewritten.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cops do speak out and they do question 'stupid' laws but they still have to enforce them or face being without a job. Just like those not behind a badge have to follow them or possibly face losing your freedom or paycheck in some sort of fashion.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Cops do speak out and they do question 'stupid' laws but they still have to enforce them or face being without a job. Just like those not behind a badge have to follow them or possibly face losing your freedom or paycheck in some sort of fashion.
Doesn't answer my questions, both about how much is enough and whether or not the kind of laws that necessitate such tactics have any place in a free society. How can such raids be justified in a free society, especially when you confront the truth that they do nothing to stem the flow of drugs into society. They do diddly squat to squelch supply, and even if they contributed marginally it's been proven over the years to be a failed tactic. So, once more, how are such laws even permissable in a free society? How many 'mistakes', a euphemism for terrorized and dead citizens and destroyed property, are excusable to fight the good fight against drugs?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. I did answer...There isn't a set number. The number is the one reached where the change happens and obvsiously that number will be different for different places. These are state to state regulated issues. 1 might be the magic number for one place and 10 may be at another.

2. This is NOT a free society. It is a society governed by laws and regulations and as such can not be free by definition.

3. I do think a lot of the laws should be looked at and have their legitimacy checked and their punishments adjusted but that is not my job. My job is to enforce those laws and regulations that are in place. No more, no less.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hm how much of this BS could be avoided if drugs were legalized and the addicts left to their own devices?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
1. I did answer...There isn't a set number. The number is the one reached where the change happens and obvsiously that number will be different for different places. These are state to state regulated issues. 1 might be the magic number for one place and 10 may be at another.
I'm not asking society, I'm asking you. How many dead grandparents, burned down homes, terrorized citizens is your limit? Mine is none.

2. This is NOT a free society. It is a society governed by laws and regulations and as such can not be free by definition.
Incorrect. Laws and freedom are not necessarily in opposition to each other. Laws that restrict aggressive action against other people's persons or property are perfectly in line with a free society. Freedom does not mean you get to do whatever pleases you at whatever time you want. That's an extreme definition and not the one normally used in this context.

3. I do think a lot of the laws should be looked at and have their legitimacy checked and their punishments adjusted but that is not my job. My job is to enforce those laws and regulations that are in place. No more, no less.
At what point would you stop enforcing then? How far would such laws have to go before you said, "**** it, this isn't right"? And, if we assume you're representative of the average to upper average of the bell curve in regard to this issue, what does that say about how far such laws would have go before even a vocal minority of cops would raise objections or quit in response to unjust laws? And they can always be replaced by those more mutable to a drone's job.

In Milgram's famous study on the subject only a third of the people studied didn't go all the way and administer the final, lethal shock. A solid two thirds of the population is made up of drones who will sheepishly follow orders and offer little to no resistance. So that one third of dissent is not only important, it's crucial. And when otherwise intelligent people bury their heads in the sand and choose to simply follow orders, it makes it a lot more likely that things will go WAY too far before their reigned in, if ever.

If only one out of every three people is willing to resist authority, even when it's blatantly wrong or harmful, no one can be excused for just doing their job.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
hm how much of this BS could be avoided if drugs were legalized and the addicts left to their own devices?
All of it. Because they're already here, already using, and already committing whatever other crimes they're going to commit, so there's no flood gate of crime or users waiting to be opened by legalization. A few more would use, the costs and dangers and problems associated with the black market would quickly disappear. And users who committed other crimes like robbery, assault, etc., would still be arrested and convicted under those laws.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why is it everyone else that has to do 'more' to prove they are not just sheep. I don't see you tossing your job aside and running down the streets of DC screaming to the rooftops.

1. If it was my watch and a house was hit and the people killed and it was a mistake then there would be an investigation and if there was gross misconduct or ineptitude on the part of the officers in the shooting, they would be be handed over to the prosecutors and the whole event would be scrubbed for mistakes and polices would change to make sure that type of incident didn't happen again. However, it would not lead me to disband a swat unit.

2. Not incorrect. Laws restrict someone's freedom to do as they wish. Who has rights over which of those freedoms are violated? Are your views more important than the next guy who wants different laws than you? In the end, it isn't a free society.

3. Can not answer that question. It is completely dependant on the situation and would be different each time. If you're asking me if there would be such a limit and a time, then i say yes there is.

4. So you show me a study that shows how stupid people are and you want me to believe that those same people should be left to their own devices by eliminating laws? I don't think so.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All of it. Because they're already here, already using, and already committing whatever other crimes they're going to commit, so there's no flood gate of crime or users waiting to be opened by legalization. A few more would use, the costs and dangers and problems associated with the black market would quickly disappear. And users who committed other crimes like robbery, assault, etc., would still be arrested and convicted under those laws.
And this is based off of what? Using a similar size, population and culture;what model are you using to make this assumption that this is exactly what would happen?

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
And this is based off of what? Using a similar size, population and culture;what model are you using to make this assumption that this is exactly what would happen?
I think he’s using the model of common sense.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Amazing how you can use "common sense" on something quite like this. Such an insight you and a couple others have that no one else with any level of education or training has been able to make work. They should of come to a bodybuilding site and looked here and all could have been fixed.

Wow, how does it feel having the answer to life, the universe, and everything...Is it still 42?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of and here's a hint. In the future if you want to enter a debate, try having an argument other than a one line comeback or you can just stop responding all together.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Amazing how you can use "common sense" on something quite like this. Such an insight you and a couple others have that no one else with any level of education or training has been able to make work. They should of come to a bodybuilding site and looked here and all could have been fixed.

Wow, how does it feel having the answer to life, the universe, and everything...Is it still 42?
You’re a prick (in ragards to your smart ass response).. and you have no idea what my background is.

Common sense is an amazing thing. If you dont think drug related crime would drop if drugs were legalized then you’re a moron.

Last edited:
James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Of and here's a hint. In the future if you want to enter a debate, try having an argument other than a one line comeback or you can just stop responding all together.
Says you? lol.. If I ever enter a debate I’ll keep that in mind.

What right do you have telling others when or how to respond? Get real.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Says you? lol.. If I ever enter a debate I’ll keep that in mind.

What right do you have telling others when or how to respond? Get real.
a ban button, i believe.

tread lightly

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
a ban button, i believe.

tread lightly
Why? I dont see any rule around here that says refusal to kiss jayhawkks ass is a ban worthy offence.

Or does he bring the cop mentality while performing his moderating duties?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everyone has the right to respectfully challenge anyones opinion or contributions on any matter regardless of board status.

But when you call him (or anyone) a prick, and a moron you are out of line.

You then proceed to use the cop mentality comment in a rather condescending and arrogant way.

You don't need to kiss anyones ass but you will be respectful. You are being arrogant and antagonizing and that will become a problem for you if you do not reel it in.

Thanks for understanding how we conduct ourselves on this board.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Everyone has the right to respectfully challenge anyones opinion or contributions on any matter regardless of board status.

But when you call him (or anyone) a prick, and a moron you are out of line.

You then proceed to use the cop mentality comment in a rather condescending and arrogant way.

You don't need to kiss anyones ass but you will be respectful. You are being arrogant and antagonizing and that will become a problem for you if you do not reel it in.

Thanks for understanding how we conduct ourselves on this board.

I find this comical... since his posts directed toward me were exactly what you describe (arrogant and condescending) He was acting like a prick... so I called him one and explained why. I admit that was less than polite.. but so is him acting like a prick in the first place.

Sure I will reel it in and try to be respectful in my exchanges... I take it that moderators will be held to the same standard? After all its hard to be respectful to someone who’s being an ass.

DefTek

DefTek

Awards
Funny thing - every community I ever saw become overrun with drug activity had a huge influx in crimes against property and person follow in close order. They do go hand and foot. And I cant tell you how many times I've personaly seen and heard the excuse from a drug dealer carrying a firearm say it was for protection -- from the other dealers.

I sorta wish they would make all drugs legal - in short order vigilantism and Natural Selection will thin out the herd and then we can start over.

I dont really feel forum wars are anything to get upset over - nothing anyone says will change another's mind, and they always draw in the one liner bandits with their ever so wise observations. Eh, guess it's a free country...

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Funny thing - every community I ever saw become overrun with drug activity had a huge influx in crimes against property and person follow in close order. They do go hand and foot. And I cant tell you how many times I've personaly seen and heard the excuse from a drug dealer carrying a firearm say it was for protection -- from the other dealers.

I sorta wish they would make all drugs legal - in short order vigilantism and Natural Selection will thin out the herd and then we can start over.

I dont really feel forum wars are anything to get upset over - nothing anyone says will change another's mind, and they always draw in the one liner bandits with their ever so wise observations. Eh, guess it's a free country...
precccisseeely.

people always link drugs and crime. its sort of a funny little loop between making something illegal, watching people disregard the law, and then pointing to the fact that the law is broken.

there wouldnt be any "law breaking" if it wasnt a law in the first place. addicts wont stop using drugs, no matter what laws are on the books. if they want to kill themselves, let them do it.

i just cannot be convinced that there is something wrong with a functioning member of society going home and using a drug to unwind at the end of the night. drugs will ruin your life, drugs are bad, drugs get you in trouble, drugs = jail, drugs equal getting arrested.

3/4 of the problems associated with drug use can be completely avoided by making them legal, the police and courts ruin peoples' lives over drugs, not the drugs themselves.

anyway, just read an update on the original video posted in the thread. The kid seems perfectly respectable, intelligent, and upstanding. not a d-bag at all. the cop is on unpaid leave and the chief has recieved 1000+ calls from people asking the officer be fired.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You started the attitude issue by your one line sentence that added nothing to this thread. I responded in kind. I have yet went personal with anyone until youdid with me. Watch the personal attacks or I guess I will have to use my prick, cop mentality.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
anyway, just read an update on the original video posted in the thread. The kid seems perfectly respectable, intelligent, and upstanding. not a d-bag at all. the cop is on unpaid leave and the chief has recieved 1000+ calls from people asking the officer be fired.
If the cop is in the wrong then that is exactly what should happen.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Common sense is an amazing thing. If you dont think drug related crime would drop if drugs were legalized then you’re a moron.
Excluding possession/selling charges, there is no evidence that it would drop, and in theory reality and theory are the same thing, but in reality, they're not.

I personally believe that legalizing drugs (only w/ a strict enforcement of much harsher drug-related violent/dangerous/abusive/etc behavior punishments) would reduce violent crime, increase dramatically our tax revenues, and keep ridiculous use-offenders out of jail BUT until theory is put into practice you definitely can't call someone a moron for not agreeing with you. And using the common sense argument just sucks.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Why is it everyone else that has to do 'more' to prove they are not just sheep. I don't see you tossing your job aside and running down the streets of DC screaming to the rooftops.
Nor am I asking anyone to do so. I've been an activist on the issues I'm talking about, I've spoken with congress critters, I write letters to the editor whenever I can and a few have even been published. I donate money that I can, and I stick by my guns in public, even though it costs me at times. Recently more than I figured too.

1. If it was my watch and a house was hit and the people killed and it was a mistake then there would be an investigation and if there was gross misconduct or ineptitude on the part of the officers in the shooting, they would be be handed over to the prosecutors and the whole event would be scrubbed for mistakes and polices would change to make sure that type of incident didn't happen again. However, it would not lead me to disband a swat unit.
Doesn't answer the question. How many are too many? How many mistaken raids that end up with terrorized or dead citizens and damaged property, not to mention torn up civil rights, are enough to make you say to hell with the laws necessitating the tactics?

2. Not incorrect. Laws restrict someone's freedom to do as they wish. Who has rights over which of those freedoms are violated? Are your views more important than the next guy who wants different laws than you? In the end, it isn't a free society.
Look up the Merriem Webster definition of freedom. The extreme definition you use where any law that lays down a shall not is not the common definition in a political context. What's more laws that are consistent with freedom don't restrict actions, they simply lay a groudwork for redress for victims of aggression. Our society has deviated from that ideal quite a bit. That is the problem.

4. So you show me a study that shows how stupid people are and you want me to believe that those same people should be left to their own devices by eliminating laws? I don't think so.
The people enforcing the laws, present company excluded, are just as stupid. And they have guns and the power to imprison and kill.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Our culture. It's exactly what happened when alcohol prohibition ended.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doesn't answer the question. How many are too many? How many mistaken raids that end up with terrorized or dead citizens and damaged property, not to mention torn up civil rights, are enough to make you say to hell with the laws necessitating the tactics
1 is what would take to make changes to the procedure to try and ensure that this would not occur again.

The people enforcing the laws, present company excluded, are just as stupid. And they have guns and the power to imprison and kill.
I agree, present company excluded :)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Funny thing - every community I ever saw become overrun with drug activity had a huge influx in crimes against property and person follow in close order. They do go hand and foot.
That's because the drugs are ILLEGAL. If it were the fault of the drugs themselves than all new pharmacies and liquor stores would likewise go 'hand and foot' with a crime wave. You are attributing the problems of prohibition to drugs. Pfizer and Budweiser reps aren't killing each other in the streets, and each makes drugs that are just as addictive and cause just as much social trouble as any illicit drug. There was a time however when alcohol sellers in the area did mean high crime. It was during alcohol prohibition.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I expanded on my response to changing the laws and i'm not writing all that again :(

Basically I don't feel I have any more of an ability to make those changes to the law than you do. We both vote to express our views...I have been looking more into victimless law and i can see it has merit but I don't fully believe that it would work because of where our society currently is. It would have to be gradual and carefeully watched.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Excluding possession/selling charges, there is no evidence that it would drop, and in theory reality and theory are the same thing, but in reality, they're not.
So if heroin was sold for a reasonable price down the road at a pharmacy users will still find it necessary to rob and steal to pay black market prices? Women will still feel it necessary to whore themselves out for a hit? It is an inevitable fact that drug related crime will drop because the cause of most of it is the black market on which they are sold, the contraband prices that result, and the legal and social risk associated with manufacture, distribution and use. Eliminate those and you eliminate a massive amount of the motive behind the crime.

As with alcohol you still have people getting drunk and driving, beating their wives and committing other crimes. However those crimes exist now and always will. If you eliminate the black market you at once remove a massive portion of the reason behind most drug crimes: high prices and legal risk. Since demand for drugs is largely inelastic you don't get many more users with the reduced cost. And what's more you no longer have police resources wasted on the impossible task of stemming demand, and so they can be concentrated on dealing with actual crimes, whether or not drugs are involved.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find this comical... since his posts directed toward me were exactly what you describe (arrogant and condescending) He was acting like a prick... so I called him one and explained why. I admit that was less than polite.. but so is him acting like a prick in the first place.

Sure I will reel it in and try to be respectful in my exchanges... I take it that moderators will be held to the same standard? After all its hard to be respectful to someone who’s being an ass.
Comical? I find it comical that your reasoning is "he did it first"

I did not say you had to respect anyone. I said be respectful. Big difference.

Ironically, sort of like with the law.

AGAIN!!! Thanks for understanding.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
So if heroin was sold for a reasonable price down the road at a pharmacy users will still find it necessary to rob and steal to pay black market prices?
I explicitly excluded drug selling/buying related offenses in my argument. There would be absolutely no reason for black-market drug deals if drug sales were privatized. Prices go down, availability goes up and the gangsta goes out of business.

What most people are worried about, and what I was addressing, with the legalization of drugs are the social ramifications, e.g. drug related violent/abusive/etc crimes. I personally don't believe those sorts of things would be a problem if harsh punishments for said offenses were in place. But, until this theory is set into motion there is no way we can, with any certainty, say things would pan out the way we expect them to.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I explicitly excluded drug selling/buying related offenses in my argument. There would be absolutely no reason for black-market drug deals if drug sales were privatized. Prices go down, availability goes up and the gangsta goes out of business. What most people are worried about with the legalization of drugs are the social ramifications, e.g. drug related violent/abusive/etc crimes. I personally don't believe those sorts of things would be a problem if harsh punishments for said offenses were in place.
They won't be a problem because they're already happening in large part to the extent they would under legalization. Demand for drugs is inelastic. It doesn't change much if at all unless swings in price/availability are huge. That is, unless you start cutting off hands, most people aren't going to stop using. And likewise, if you lower the price people don't all of a sudden run out and become addicts. There are few if any people out there longing to be stoners or junkies and who are finding the only hitch in their plans to be availability and price.

That's really the crux of the issue. The users are here already and already using. Nothing but the most extreme legal consequences and supply restrictions will change their behavior, consequences and supply restrictions we can't achieve without scrapping all our civil rights. Anything but the most extreme laws and interdictions are basically ineffective. For the same reason, drops in cost and increases in availability will generally lead to few new users and even fewer new addicts. The people who want the stuff are already getting it as is, and doing what they'd do under the influence anyway, regardless of legal restrictions.

The real threat is importation of problem addicts. That's what happened in Britain when they decided to go a bit easier on heroin addicts. So, oddly enough, if we legalize drugs our biggest problem will be immigration, likely from Mexico and Canada depending on how relatively lax our laws ended up being compared to theirs. However my guess is most countries have had enough of the WoD, and would gladly ease their laws if the US took the first step. The elimination of black market profit would also un****hole quite a few foreign countries.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For all those expressing your opinions and beliefs in a respectful tone; thank you.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Well, the only types of crimes I'm proposing be harshly punished are those that endanger the lives/property/etc of others. DWI = huge **** if I were boss :D

I wouldn't be trying to force anyone not to take the drugs through legislation, I would just be writing laws so that they'd at the least try to use drugs in a manner that does not endanger their fellow citizens.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Gawdammit shut yer oinker! :donut:
What the hell is it with cops and donuts anyway? They wolf them down like there's no tomorrow, but if you bring a dozen to the station because you're dropping by, they take offense. Or at least they did when I went to see a friend. And I showed up with Krispy Kreme, the good stuff.

Is it an insider thing?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same ones i'm on probably. Thanks to my new pimp...pfizer

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You started the attitude issue by your one line sentence that added nothing to this thread. I responded in kind. I have yet went personal with anyone until youdid with me. Watch the personal attacks or I guess I will have to use my prick, cop mentality.
If me saying his post was common sense driven qualifies as *attitude * or getting personal with you then you and I live in different realms. You started with the attitude.. not me. If you thought my post came off as attitude thats fine... and whether my one line response added anything to the thread or not is your opinion.. nothing more.

You retaliated based on your assumptions.. not my intentions.
Anyway this is getting old. I’ll shut up about it if you will.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, I refuse to eat a donut in uniform. After 9/11 everyone and their mom would drop Krispy Creme off at the station, in a honest "thank you" way. believe me, they were all ate but not until everyone left, lol. We all suffer from DEDS (Donut Eating Disorder Syndrome).

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Same ones i'm on probably. Thanks to my new pimp...pfizer
I thought of sprinkling mood equalizers on my nachos. Didn't work. However the cissus is keeping my knee pain down enough that I can lift and walk without problems these days.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had to go back to aleve because I couldn't afford the celebrex (which worked well) and i'm half walking and half limping. I'm going back to see if they can give me something with a generic form.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Comical? I find it comical that your reasoning is "he did it first"

I did not say you had to respect anyone. I said be respectful. Big difference.

Ironically, sort of like with the law.

AGAIN!!! Thanks for understanding.

Yes comical that you were giving me the verbal lashing when your fellow mod did exactly what you told me not to do. Whatever.

I never said you said to respect anyone.. When did I say I was going to respect?? I said it was hard to be respectful to someone acting like an ass.

What are we even talking about anymore?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gave you no verbal lashing. I politely communicated to you what the behavior standard is expected.

Why is it you feel a need to continue to challenge authority instead of just understanding and accepting and moving on?

I have been polite and respectful to you. Please quit calling me out and just understand it and move on.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why is it you feel a need to continue to challenge authority instead of just understanding and accepting and moving on?

I have been polite and respectful to you. Please quit calling me out and just understand it and move on.
Oh I didn’t realize you were my authority figure.. my apologies. Moving on.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Still.. how many drug offenders would that get out of prison? Hundreds of thousands? How much does it cost to house these inmates? 50 grand a year? More?