The Official "I Train Legs Twice a Year Thread"

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
I'll admit it, one time a couple weeks ago, I went to the gym and didn't train legs. I trained them the day before though and 2 days following.

EVERY DAY IS LEG DAY!

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I dont miss leg day, ever.

I admit i hate them and they are the hardest for me to train, but I wont miss them. I force myself to do them. I put them the first workout of the week and i wont do any other body part the the rest of the week til I go through leg day. I have to miss that day then the next day i do them, but its rare. If for some reason I have to skip a day of the week to miss 1 workout, its other body parts, but never legs. I just have set i my head that if your not working legs then your not working out.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
I get the funny feeling that no one is really feelin the OP on this one haha. AWESOME vid that was posted a few posts up!
:bb2:

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Actually the worse is when people use the squat rack for barbell curls. I take that very personally.
This, among other junk (guys that don't know crap about form or much else weight-training wise), really gets to me too. I don't know if it should, but it does :frustrate

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
My wife gets upset when I do legs. Most jeans dont fit my quads/thigh area when I work legs.
That being said, I personally dont get much upper body strength increase without doing legs, so its a lose lose situation. Personally doing 1k lbs on incline leg press isnt hard for me, its almost natural. Squats on the other hand, are hard for me do to the limitation of my lower back.

I think Im going to start legs again, maybe I will just wear those 90's hammer time pants from now on. ;)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive been told by numerous females how turned off they are at the gym when they see a guy with chicken legs.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I overhead 2 guys talking in the gym a few months. They said they don't train legs or back. They just want a 'beach body' to show off.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I overhead 2 guys talking in the gym a few months. They said they don't train legs or back. They just want a 'beach body' to show off.
Rather typical. I call those "recreational lifters." Come in to the gym when they feel like it, don't focus hardly any if at all on their diet, and train with little intensity.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I remember there was this guy that I knew in college. He would only train abs, chest, biceps and triceps. Nothing else and he made no qualms about it. He said he a genetically good back so he did not need to train it, and never really commented on why he didn't train legs. I remember his body was so misproportional because he chest was extremely large, but his back was so underdeveloped it looked completely jacked up. (no his back genetics sucked). His legs were similar to an anorexic females as well.

I remember a lot of people ripped on him for having such a misproportional physique...(including women), but in his own mind he was dope cuz he had huge biceps.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I don't train my legs because I feel they are too big for my upper body already... Annoying how big they are... I ride a lot of bike though... So I guess that is training.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Yep I see it every day at the gym, guys bi's are bigger than calfs by 1.5x

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I've been lifting at the Y here in DE and the first night I went the majority of guys were the "pretty boy" guys who wear A&F to the gym, soaked in enough cologne to gas anyone within a 5 ft radius. Throughout that week I watched these guys with their spiky gelled hair, their blond highlights, and expensive lifting clothes and saw that during the week they worked arms, chest, arms, arms, abs, and you guessed it arms.

Now here is where I get frustrated. These guys are stereotypical "pretty" boys in that they really have no idea what they were doing, cared more about their appearance than their lifting at the gym, and talked real loud about nothing more than the 13 different girls they slept with last weekend and how hot those girls thought they were. How they got plastered 194 times during the last week and all the "crazy wild ****" they did. Yet watching they blast through their workout with ****ty form and no real care as they left weight on every machine/bar I had to wonder. Because these guys have the smallest lower body I've seen, but they all have guns, a big chest, and I'm sure abs under all that designer clothing. So how the hell do these guys do the "wrong" thing (according to nearly everyone on here), obviously drink large amounts on a regular basis and still achieve what some of us (me) would like to have without the proper diet or training?

Do to the fact that they make me angry enough to hurt someone or something, I've moved my workout time to during lunch. Which allows me to get a better workout in a shorter amount of time due to less people being there and also fits my schedule better.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Some guy at my gym has a 'gear type' upperbody, but his lower legs are about maximum radius of a soda can.

It looks very odd.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some guy at my gym has a 'gear type' upperbody, but his lower legs are about maximum radius of a soda can.

It looks very odd.
the thing is either they like their bodies like that or they just dont know how bad it is. Either way its a demented self image.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
the thing is either they like their bodies like that or they just dont know how bad it is. Either way its a demented self image.
im shock some ppl with these kinds of misproportional bodies even wear shorts. At least most coverup their legs.

There's this one guy at my gym who wears a wife beater with the typical east coast guido look (like the Gotti brothers).

All he does is biceps/triceps/chest.

In fact he does bench press 5 days out of the week.

I've never seen him workout any other bodypart ever.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been lifting at the Y here in DE and the first night I went the majority of guys were the "pretty boy" guys who wear A&F to the gym, soaked in enough cologne to gas anyone within a 5 ft radius. Throughout that week I watched these guys with their spiky gelled hair, their blond highlights, and expensive lifting clothes and saw that during the week they worked arms, chest, arms, arms, abs, and you guessed it arms.

Now here is where I get frustrated. These guys are stereotypical "pretty" boys in that they really have no idea what they were doing, cared more about their appearance than their lifting at the gym, and talked real loud about nothing more than the 13 different girls they slept with last weekend and how hot those girls thought they were. How they got plastered 194 times during the last week and all the "crazy wild ****" they did. Yet watching they blast through their workout with ****ty form and no real care as they left weight on every machine/bar I had to wonder. Because these guys have the smallest lower body I've seen, but they all have guns, a big chest, and I'm sure abs under all that designer clothing. So how the hell do these guys do the "wrong" thing (according to nearly everyone on here), obviously drink large amounts on a regular basis and still achieve what some of us (me) would like to have without the proper diet or training?

Do to the fact that they make me angry enough to hurt someone or something, I've moved my workout time to during lunch. Which allows me to get a better workout in a shorter amount of time due to less people being there and also fits my schedule better.

I get pissed off about the SAME exact thing. I don't understand it. Foxing genetics, man. That has to be the answer. I can't get my arms to budge. Maybe I should train them 5x a week. I'm guessing those dudes are Italian, and Italians seem to have excellent genetics for growth.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I don't know what nationality they are, although they are Caucasian (sp?). What I don't get is how they get over-developed upper bodies with terrible form and no diet. I hate to result to accusing people of juicing (not that I have anything against it), but how else do they have low bf% (Under 10%) and the smallest lower body in the gym. I can't even imagine watching one of those guys squat or deadlift. Yet their results shred my results. I know genetics plays a large part, but really? Maybe it is genetics and I'm too eager to jump on the steroid bandwagon with these schmucks but I hate to believe that fate is that ironic.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know plenty of guys that don't use gear and are a lot bigger than me without any focus on diet or training. I just like to think of Layne's quote, "If you beat me, it's not because you outworked me."

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
they do have less energy spent on recovering the larger demanding muscle groups. That has to play some role. however there is a point that they will stall out without bringing up and focusing on all muscle groups.

other than that...youth, genetics...who knows. Trust me Vision, Consistency, and Hardwork will pay off in the end. With that type of focus they will not have the long range success or every reach their potential.:study:

You have to develop and practice the habits that will get you to that goal.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Arnold had a very well-developed upperbody when he was bb'ing, but his quads were pretty wispy.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Arnold had a very well-developed upperbody when he was bb'ing, but his quads were pretty wispy.
I believe that I read somewhere that back in the day the bbers cared about how proportional everything looked. Most of the bbers back in the day had relatively small legs. Now adays it's just a freak contest for pro's. The bigger they are the better. In my opinion arnolds legs were pretty big already. But you are right his upper body was a lot bigger than his lower body. It was just how it was back in the day.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I know plenty of guys that don't use gear and are a lot bigger than me without any focus on diet or training. I just like to think of Layne's quote, "If you beat me, it's not because you outworked me."
it took me 5 months to catch up to my friend who works out once a month...

5 months of HARD work. It sucks that people have such crazy genetics.

I don't believe however this dude at the gym has what was claimed to be the "craziest" genetics of all times. 17 inch arms at 16. He never touches legs and never eats. If you ask me his genetics are ehem cough cough "juice"

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
it took me 5 months to catch up to my friend who works out once a month...

5 months of HARD work. It sucks that people have such crazy genetics.

I don't believe however this dude at the gym has what was claimed to be the "craziest" genetics of all times. 17 inch arms at 16. He never touches legs and never eats. If you ask me his genetics are ehem cough cough "juice"
I've been on plenty of gear a few times, and my growth even on the cycles was not that great. My genetics suck.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Anyone whos legs are smaller than there arms is crazy... I would love to have biceps anywhere near as big as my calfs.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Haven't squatted in 3 months, but I'm nursing an ankle injury.

I can't wait to get back in there and do them. I'm kind of working my legs from doing cardio and sumo deads right now.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Funniest thing ever happened at the gym this morning. New girl comes to workout. Pretty attractive, fake DD breasts whatever, goes over to leg area of our gym to hit some squats on the smith machine. My gym has a decent leg area with 3 leg press, 1 hack squat, 1 smith, and 3 squat racks, as well as a some plate loaded machines to calves, hams, etc...Well at this point theres maybe one other guy on the leg press, been there for a while. After this girl get's noticed, every squat rack, hack squat and leg press, and machine get's used up for the duration the girl is over there. I was off in the distance trying to keep from laughing as it was the funniest sight ever, as almost no one really uses up that area as extensively as they did this morning.
:rofl::chick::toofunny:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Funniest thing ever happened at the gym this morning. New girl comes to workout. Pretty attractive, fake DD breasts whatever, goes over to leg area of our gym to hit some squats on the smith machine. My gym has a decent leg area with 3 leg press, 1 hack squat, 1 smith, and 3 squat racks, as well as a some plate loaded machines to calves, hams, etc...Well at this point theres maybe one other guy on the leg press, been there for a while. After this girl get's noticed, every squat rack, hack squat and leg press, and machine get's used up for the duration the girl is over there. I was off in the distance trying to keep from laughing as it was the funniest sight ever, as almost no one really uses up that area as extensively as they did this morning.
:rofl::chick::toofunny:

I remember there was some girl doing deadlifts and squats in the leg area. She wasn't doing the deadlift right at all, and maybe only squatting 50% correct, but I guess it is the thought that counts.

Same deal here. All of a sudden 90% of the guys go over to do leg work. Oh yeah, but some bastards used the squat rack for bicep curls.

4080nevada

Awards
BTW, wearing sweats and gym pants dont hide it either. I get a good laugh at the dudes that walk around thinking they are bad ass cause they bench 300 yet they cant walk to the bench with 60 lb dumbbells cause their legs are too skinny to walk with the weight. Once you see growth legs will become your favorite workout.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, but some bastards used the squat rack for bicep curls.
I'll get straight ignorant on someone if it's leg day but they're using the squat rack for curls, and there are no other free racks. Straight pisses me off. Don't mind when people use the rack/bar for deads cause my gym doesn't really have a platform but yeah anything but squats and it get's pretty annoying!

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Getting back into doing squats since my ankle injury. Did squats yesterday (albeit with kind of light weight since I lost a LOT of strength) and both of my legs and glutes are sore! I LOVE IT!!! I'm sure it will be even more sore tomorrow.

To all of you guys that do squats, do you guys also feel the most sore the two days after the workout than the day directly after? For example, I did squats yesterday (NYE Monday) and they are kind of sore today, but I guarantee you tomorrow it will be worse.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Getting back into doing squats since my ankle injury. Did squats yesterday (albeit with kind of light weight since I lost a LOT of strength) and both of my legs and glutes are sore! I LOVE IT!!! I'm sure it will be even more sore tomorrow.

To all of you guys that do squats, do you guys also feel the most sore the two days after the workout than the day directly after? For example, I did squats yesterday (NYE Monday) and they are kind of sore today, but I guarantee you tomorrow it will be worse.
I was told by a friend a long time ago who is a personal trainer that it's 3rd day that is always the worst for soreness. For me if I train legs on Saturday, I won't be 100% again till like Thursday or Friday of the next week. I know soreness doesn't always mean growth but for me it's the difference between a good and bad workout.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I stopped for a couple months when I pulled or damaged a ligament when going to hard to quickly after starting back up.

I'm currently squatting / deading / rowing and pressing 3 x week.

Madcow 5x5

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
If by "twice a year" you mean "squat heavy three times a week" then yes. But then again, I'm still a newbie playing catch-up. I try to think of it as training for performance and not looks, though.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
If you're able to squat three times a week, how do you get through the soreness? Because I'm planning on doing it at least twice a week, three times if I can.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
If you're able to squat three times a week, how do you get through the soreness? Because I'm planning on doing it at least twice a week, three times if I can.
I eat a lot and I'm still capable of recovering fast enough, but sometimes I do front squats on Wednesdays. I think that soreness is affected a lot by the recovery process rather than the exercise itself. One recommendation that I've heard to is to eat more protein (say, another 50g per day) and see how you feel.

Also, use a belt (properly). Your "core" will still get stronger, you'll be able to squat more, and your back won't be as fatigued. This made quite a bit of difference for me.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Well for 5x5 you are not going to crazy failure everytime. You are working them getting used to the movement and form working up to your 'max' over a period of eight weeks. The soreness isn't as bad.

If I was working legs like I usually / used to there is no way in heck I would be able to do them anymore than once a week.

:gas:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Well for 5x5 you are not going to crazy failure everytime. You are working them getting used to the movement and form working up to your 'max' over a period of eight weeks. The soreness isn't as bad.

If I was working legs like I usually / used to there is no way in heck I would be able to do them anymore than once a week.

:gas:
Madcow's 5x5 is based on the idea that you are an intermediate lifter - you cannot adopt to a heavier weight within 24-72 hours, and so instead you do a weakly progression. The Monday is supposed to build up some volume and intensity to cause a sufficient overload event, and Wednesday is taken for recovery, and Friday is a lower volume/higher intensity day. By next Monday you should have adapted in weight.

If you're starting out doing squats the best thing to do, besides learning correct form, is to do 3 sets of 5 reps M/W/F, and increase the weight at every workout. This doesn't include the warm-up sets. Assuming proper diet and rest you will be able to keep this linear progress for a couple weeks. When you finally stall, reset a bit and go again.

A much better explanation can be found in "Practical Programming for Strength Training."

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I have to do legs today.

Other than having severe injuries to your knees, back, etc, there is not a valid reason for not doing squats. You simply cannot reach your potential without them.

Granted when I first started working out I didn't do squats, because they are hard and hurt. But when I actually learned how to train, I realized the error of my ways.

I only train legs once a week though, I believe in giving my legs enough time to properly recover. Besides, if you do legs right you aren't going to be able to do them but once a week.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
If I am stuck at a plateau I squat heavy twice a week. For regular workouts I do it once a week.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I only train legs once a week though, I believe in giving my legs enough time to properly recover. Besides, if you do legs right you aren't going to be able to do them but once a week.
That's true - especially if you're training back heavy with deadlifts as well. I've been kind of slacking on legs lately, but I make sure to get under that bar at least once a week and fire off some heavy sets...I feel like crap (mentally and physically) if I dont!

BV

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I love squats. might be my favorite exercise. I rarely train calves though. they frustrate me, they never grow.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
I love squats. might be my favorite exercise. I rarely train calves though. they frustrate me, they never grow.
I have not touched my calves in over 5 years. I'm sure it would help my squat if i did however.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That's true - especially if you're training back heavy with deadlifts as well. I've been kind of slacking on legs lately, but I make sure to get under that bar at least once a week and fire off some heavy sets...I feel like crap (mentally and physically) if I dont!

BV

Im the same, you have to train them. i just feel like im short changing myself if i dont sqaut. Plus when i do sqaut i feel like Im on a stage or something. hardly anybody in my gym use the sqaut racks for sqauting, so when im doing them i get the impression that everybody is looking at me wonder what im doing. Seems the big thing in the gym is the 1 leg leg press

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this is funny. i started this thread a long ass time ago. the funny thing is, is that now i train legs like crazy. i cant believe how much i squat now. its just wild. i was so wrong for neglecting my legs. will you guys forgive me!!!!???

ha! and now i am the 100th post lol