The High-Jinx Log: Celebrations of My Reincarnations

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lookin jacked and hairy, dude
Thanks bud. I actually trimmed my upper body some a few weeks ago, lol. But yeah, I can probably give Big Country a run for his money, in the hirsute department. Thankfully, my body hair is pretty light.

My goal is too look twice as strong as I am, lol. I know, I know, I have it all backwards.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good form on the shorts, man. That's approximately how I do it for my training. Looking good elsewhere as well.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good form on the shorts, man. That's approximately how I do it for my training. Looking good elsewhere as well.
Thanks man. Still adjusting to being so small. Perhaps I am delusional, but I don't think I look as light as I am. Of course, squatting light once per week will put me over 170 lbs in a flash. My upper legs grow fast. Muscle memory and extremely undertrained -- indeed untrained -- and all that.

I popped a tramadol in anticipation of training sesh in 35 minutes. Hopefully, I can make it count, despite this angry shoulder. It will be leisurely, as I am training with a friend, who doesn't really understand bringing intensity to his workouts.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So the tramadol before the training worked splendidly. Marked reduction in pain. That said, I exclusively worked arms, to give my injured shoulder a break. I also went lighter than I've been going as of late, for the shoulder and because my buddy isn't that strong and the workout was largely social. But still left the gym feeling hella swole, lol.

Preacher Curls for the Catholic Gurls
45 x 15
55 x 15
65 x 12
75 x 12
85 x 10

Reverse Curls
45 x 12
55 x 12
65 x 10
75 x 10
85 x 8

Hammer Curls for the Slutty Gurls
3 x 20s x 12

Dips
3 x BW x 25
Notes: These are getting easy. Will start adding weight.

Tricep Extensions
3 x 10-15

Single-Armed Reverse-Grip Tricep Pushdowns
3 x 10-15

Pulley Crunches
4 x 15-20

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's cool that dips still aren't giving you an issue. Definetly a good mass builder IMO

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice work out. Solid curl variations lol

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It's cool that dips still aren't giving you an issue. Definetly a good mass builder IMO
Yeah, I am sort of surprised actually, but they aren't bothering my shoulder at all. I am really good about keeping the scap deeply retracted. Anyhow, I just reintroduced them two weeks ago, and am looking forward to adding some weight and seeing what it brings. I need to find ways to hit my chest, aside from benching and incline for now, and this could be part of the solution.

Tomorrow is light squatting. Really light. Will go no higher than 205 lbs. I am putting it in writing so I stick to my word. I usually come back and go too aggressively, and then end up miserable for a week, and the 2nd and 3rd squats sessions are compromised because my legs are so beaten up. Anyhow, my squatting will remain scary light relative to all ya'll. Plan is to remain lighter, higher volume.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Volume and/or tempo are good ways to keep it intense

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Volume and/or tempo are good ways to keep it intense
Everything I do is intense, ma man. ;) Better to burn out than to fade away ...

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Comeback Squats
45 x 12
95 x 10
135 x 10
165 x 10
185 x 8
205 x 8
Notes: Not ATG, but deep in the hole. All reps felt good, despite four months off. Usually, I have a harder time finding my groove after time off. No doubt, I will be hurting over the next few days.

Calf Raises
+115 x 20
+180 x 15
+230 x 14
+250 x 9

Cable Crunches
4 x 10-15

Elliptical Trainer
20 minutes, level 8
Notes: HR was around 175 average, too high given moderate pace and fact that I was barely breaking a sweat. May need to adjust my meds to get that back down to 150ish, where it should be given output. 175 is about maxed out, given my age.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It's been 18 hours since my squat return, and no DOMS yet. Ironically, my calves are sore, while my thighs are barely feeling it. I am not in the clear yet though, as sometimes onset happens between 24 and 48 hours post workout. I'm going to hit up some taurine at lunch, and likely will hit some BCAAs during evening training.

I suspect the post-squat cardio may have helped some.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good job gettin back into it dude. hopefully DOMS decides to skip ya over this time around

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good job gettin back into it dude. hopefully DOMS decides to skip ya over this time around
Thanks buddy. Oh well to my contemplated all-machine regimen, lol. No doubt, I will be pulling some too soon, lol. But that will have to remain light as my biceps have already torn 3 times, and my tendons just can't handle loads as displaced by heavy pulling.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks buddy. Oh well to my contemplated all-machine regimen, lol. No doubt, I will be pulling some too soon, lol. But that will have to remain light as my biceps have already torn 3 times, and my tendons just can't handle loads as displaced by heavy pulling.
I would imagine that lifting straps would benefit your case.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would imagine that lifting straps would benefit your case.
Yeah, right on, that's what I used last summer, once I got above 315 lbs. I also have compromised grip strength from significant ulnar nerve impingement (cubital tunnel syndrome) for which I've undergone 5 surgeries to date, so grip is a limiting factor. But still, even double overhand with wraps, I need to be very judicious with the weight.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's what I was attempting to say: No talking zone. Should have used a translator as my Spanish is pretty tortured these days from lack of practice. Man they blab full octave in the sauna. And my phone was dead by that time, so I was a captive audience without music. Worse yet, one of them was playing Latino music on his damn iPhone -- not with headphones, lol. I am not usually one who refrains from speaking my mind, but I was clearly outnumbered and I figured I'd likely just get more irritated if I said something. So instead, I stood up, look pissed and flexed, while staring down the talkers, lol. And then I started farting. They cleared out.

iPhone and/or headphones/electronics in the sauna? Is that safe?! Damn I'd be worried that condensation would get inside.. otherwise I'd love to bring some music into the sauna/steam room and just relax in bliss

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
iPhone and/or headphones/electronics in the sauna? Is that safe?! Damn I'd be worried that condensation would get inside.. otherwise I'd love to bring some music into the sauna/steam room and just relax in bliss
I use my nano in the sauna all the time, just because I don't really care if it gets goosed. Never had a problem. And I've even used my phone, albeit for short stints only. I don't really give a rat's ass about my phone either, as it needs to be replaced soon.

I would not take it in steam, however, bc of excessive condensation.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nice one on the squat comeback. Definitely would've expected DOMS after doing what you did.

Have you tried deadlifting again? That was my best lift, but I haven't really attempted it again with any significant weight post op. I think it's time though.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nice one on the squat comeback. Definitely would've expected DOMS after doing what you did.

Have you tried deadlifting again? That was my best lift, but I haven't really attempted it again with any significant weight post op. I think it's time though.
Thanks. Yes re DL. Candidly, I had never done them before until last summer. IIRC, I didn't go higher than 3.5 wheels. Then again, it was just 5 months after bilateral shoulder repairs, and 3 biceps tenodesis procedures (one corrective as I suffered a full rupture one week post repair on left side).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good to hear about the squats, man. Glad they went ok.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Btw, in all your training and PT / OT, have you ever had to deal with anterior pelvic tilt, or had it addressed?
Figured I would ask since you have so much experience with PT/OT. It's the biggest problem I'm dealing with now, but completely unrelated to the surgeries.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
DL'ing 365# 5 months after bilateral shoulder repairs, and 3 biceps tenodesis procedures is excellent my man. You are an animal.
Yeah, well I was getting PT 3-5 days per week most of the year, following my surgeries, 6 in total. In other words, I was getting pro-athlete like treatment. And the heavy DLs, or rather heavy for me, caused some ridiculous pain in my shoulders and elbows, ultimately causing me to discontinue them. So as noted, if I reintroduce them, they will be very light and strict. My form left much to be desired.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Btw, in all your training and PT / OT, have you ever had to deal with anterior pelvic tilt, or had it addressed?
Figured I would ask since you have so much experience with PT/OT. It's the biggest problem I'm dealing with now, but completely unrelated to the surgeries.
Nope, sorry. MRI rule out labral (hip) tear?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nope, sorry. MRI rule out labral (hip) tear?
Nah no tearing at all. Super tight psoas / glutes / hammies aka desk job syndrome.. My back is extremely hyperextended because of it. I have some great articles on it though, just wondering if you've ever had to deal with it or have anything you do to keep it away. It's the main issue that's been messing up my form on heavier lifts. I simply sit far too much day & night as I'm a graphic designer / motion graphics guy. At my computer far too much, but I've recently purchased a standing desk to help alleviate the issue.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nah no tearing at all. Super tight psoas / glutes / hammies aka desk job syndrome.. My back is extremely hyperextended because of it. I have some great articles on it though, just wondering if you've ever had to deal with it or have anything you do to keep it away. It's the main issue that's been messing up my form on heavier lifts. I simply sit far too much day & night as I'm a graphic designer / motion graphics guy. At my computer far too much, but I've recently purchased a standing desk to help alleviate the issue.
Best treatment IMO, beyond what you are doing (podium/standing desk is a great idea) is trigger point injections. I was having some hip and groin issues, and they worked wonders. Mine developed from too much time in the sack, lol. I don't mind a standing mount. Not one bit. ;)

I get medical acupuncture or trigger point injections every week for my chronic pain. Best thing ever for it. I took a week off bc of holiday and travel, and resume today. Hoping it will help my bunk shoulder.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My phone is water proof.

You think that would be ok in a sauna?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My phone is water proof.

You think that would be ok in a sauna?
Is it the Galaxy? Only thing I would be concerned about is the heat. I know the heat is known to drain the battery, but nothing permanent in that regard. But I would research it thoroughly before doing so with a $500 device, as it's possible that heat could damage the internals. My nano and phone are worth $75 combined, so I don't fret it. I also wouldn't use good headphones, unless they are moisture/water resistant ones. I just use my cheapy Skullcaps, rather than my pimpy corded or bluetooth ones.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Best treatment IMO, beyond what you are doing (podium/standing desk is a great idea) is trigger point injections. I was having some hip and groin issues, and they worked wonders. Mine developed from too much time in the sack, lol. I don't mind a standing mount. Not one bit. ;)I get medical acupuncture or trigger point injections every week for my chronic pain. Best thing ever for it. I took a week off bc of holiday and travel, and resume today. Hoping it will help my bunk shoulder.
Hahaha nice.. I've been dating a doctor lately, I'll ask her about that.. maybe she can inject me for once lol. Usually too much time in the sack just gives me sore abs haha

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it the Galaxy? Only thing I would be concerned about is the heat. I know the heat is known to drain the battery, but nothing permanent in that regard. But I would research it thoroughly before doing so with a $500 device, as it's possible that heat could damage the internals. My nano and phone are worth $75 combined, so I don't fret it. I also wouldn't use good headphones, unless they are moisture/water resistant ones. I just use my cheapy Skullcaps, rather than my pimpy corded or bluetooth ones.
I don't ever intend to go into a sauna, was just wondering.

But no, it's the Sony Xperia.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hahaha nice.. I've been dating a doctor lately, I'll ask her about that.. maybe she can inject me for once lol. Usually too much time in the sack just gives me sore abs haha
Lol. I have self injected saline with insulin pins, with success. Studied meridians for referred pain. But this was all in traps. My personal doc also has injected me.

But the technique by a good physiatrist is a whole 'nother ball of wax. It's saline and lidocaine, with a long, heavier gauge pin, and when the proper spots are hit, the doctor skillfully moves the pin around the area to saturate it. It hurts like hell as it throws the muscle into deep spasm, but within a few days, great relief comes, at least for me. Same for medical acupuncture. Very painful, but great for painful adhesions, trigger points, myalgias, etc.

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
Comeback Squats
45 x 12
95 x 10
135 x 10
165 x 10
185 x 8
205 x 8
Notes: Not ATG, but deep in the hole. All reps felt good, despite four months off. Usually, I have a harder time finding my groove after time off. No doubt, I will be hurting over the next few days.

Calf Raises
+115 x 20
+180 x 15
+230 x 14
+250 x 9

Cable Crunches
4 x 10-15

Elliptical Trainer
20 minutes, level 8
Notes: HR was around 175 average, too high given moderate pace and fact that I was barely breaking a sweat. May need to adjust my meds to get that back down to 150ish, where it should be given output. 175 is about maxed out, given my age.
Good job getting some skwatz in my man. Your thorough warmup may have helped ease the pain, too. I always seem to get more sore when I go through the warmups quickly. Since I've been squatting heavy three days a week, the only pain I've experienced has been connective tissue pain - not looking forward to stiff legs again. Oh well. Do you do the cable crunches standing or on your knees?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good job getting some skwatz in my man. Your thorough warmup may have helped ease the pain, too. I always seem to get more sore when I go through the warmups quickly. Since I've been squatting heavy three days a week, the only pain I've experienced has been connective tissue pain - not looking forward to stiff legs again. Oh well. Do you do the cable crunches standing or on your knees?
Thanks man. Crunches are on knees. Man are they working too. I will shoot a good ab shot in the days ahead. My abs get protrussive and chunky, like an alien is going to burst out. Guys on the wrestling team nicknamed it "Alien," lol. And I was "Chester," because I was always massaging my pecs, lol.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just got my trigger point injections. They were particularly wicked in the left poster delt, trap and lat (referred pain).

Doctor conducted a clinical evaluation of shoulder, and concluded partly-torn supraspinatus, and given the strength discrepancy (still reasonably strong in absolute sense) combined with pain and dysfunction, said it would likely require surgery to resolve. Whatever, I've endured worse. A simple RC repair is no big deal to me as long as I don't have to lay off for a long while. I've never had an RC repair, beyond debridement.

I will get an MRI as soon as its authorized.

napalm

napalm

Awards
FWIW, I benched in competition 7 months after a infra/supra/labral repair.

It can be done...

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
FWIW, I benched in competition 7 months after a infra/supra/labral repair.

It can be done...
Thanks for the encouragement. I am not too worried. Last year I had bilateral labral repairs and acromio-plasty along with bilateral biceps tenodesis (and then a corrective one after a full rupture post repair, on one side), and my strength was better than it had been the year before, just 5 months after.

And then last October to December, I had bilateral epicondylectomies with neuroplasty, and a suture tack and release on my lateral elbow. I was good to go 6-7 months later.

Five years ago, I had bilateral labral repairs and bilateral clavicular excision, followed a few weeks later by an interior ulnar transposition, and I was lifting better than I had in years around 8 months later.

I can't imagine the RC repair will take nearly as long to recover from as these, though I am older now. But also wiser. ;) I am thinking a few months.

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
[video=youtube;jofNR_WkoCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE[/video]

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What the fox, dude? LOL.

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
Sometimes you just gotta get a daily dose of ridiculousness.

I may have been drinking rye whiskey.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sometimes you just gotta get a daily dose of ridiculousness.

I may have been drinking rye whiskey.
I just dropped a tramadol, which gets me loopy, without making me tired. I've got more tricks in my bag.

Ridiculous and silly are always welcome here.

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
I just dropped a tramadol, which gets me loopy, without making me tired. I've got more tricks in my bag.

Ridiculous and silly are always welcome here.
Even though I don't get paid on snow days, I'm secretly hoping work will be closed tomorrow. Trying to extend my night; I normally wake around 0530, so I know I gotta sleep soon... but... but... internets...

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Even though I don't get paid on snow days, I'm secretly hoping work will be closed tomorrow. Trying to extend my night; I normally wake around 0530, so I know I gotta sleep soon... but... but... internets...
Certainly you can find something more arousing ...

That shoulder evaluation today has my shoulder screaming, though it's beginning to mute from the trammy. Taking the night off from training. Will hit it again tomorrow. Core, arms, maybe more legs, which feel surprisingly good still. It's been 26 hours now, so I think I am going to be okay re the DOMS.

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
Do you ever do broomstick presses with suspended weights for your shoulders? I don't know if it'll help with your particular situation, but it helped me a lot while I was in the desert. I didn't have surgery or any really severe pain though. Something about a lot of reps with a light, constantly moving weight did something for me though.

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
Certainly you can find something more arousing ...

That shoulder evaluation today has my shoulder screaming, though it's beginning to mute from the trammy. Taking the night off from training. Will hit it again tomorrow. Core, arms, maybe more legs, which feel surprisingly good still. It's been 26 hours now, so I think I am going to be okay re the DOMS.
Oh, and yeah, I already got aroused plenty today. I'll probably start up on my book again soon though.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do you ever do broomstick presses with suspended weights for your shoulders? I don't know if it'll help with your particular situation, but it helped me a lot while I was in the desert. I didn't have surgery or any really severe pain though. Something about a lot of reps with a light, constantly moving weight did something for me though.
Nope, but that's an interesting idea, thanks.

Truth is, the pain is bearable for the most part. And I've been working my shoulders, just no overhead pressing for the last 2-3 weeks. I will probably lay pretty low in that regard until after the MRI, though I may do some dips and a few other things, subject to any pain in the shoulder.

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
Nope, but that's an interesting idea, thanks.

Truth is, the pain is bearable for the most part. And I've been working my shoulders, just no overhead pressing for the last 2-3 weeks. I will probably lay pretty low in that regard until after the MRI, though I may do some dips and a few other things, subject to any pain in the shoulder.
Well, good luck with the MRI. The setup for the broomstick presses was basically two 15 to 20 pound kettlebells suspended by minibands off either end of a broomstick, FWIW. Really did help me.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just to add onto that: A lot of top PLer's recommend bench pressing with a bamboo bar with kettlebells suspended from it via minibands, specifically for shoulder rehabilitation.

I remember herderdude doing it once as well

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, good luck with the MRI. The setup for the broomstick presses was basically two 15 to 20 pound kettlebells suspended by minibands off either end of a broomstick, FWIW. Really did help me.
Ah, when I hear presses, I think overhead. My bad. Good idea. Thing is, I can actually handle a good amount of weight reverse-grip bench right now, as well as HS iso-lateral. It hurts, but it's tolerable. But maybe I will give it a shot. I don't have anything but really light rehab bands. Should have bought some on Black Friday. Say that every year. The Onyx package.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The bamboo bar benching was really tough on the stabilizers. Not painful, but damn does it work them. Louie Simmons was saying the only way he can do upright rows without pain was using the bamboo bar. It could possibly accelerate the rehabilitation process, if you start very light and work your way up. This is me with about 130lbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWhw_QeqPM8

So as you can see, it's challenging.