Sweetlou's training log

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think it is useful, but I'm still not sold that it's worth ~15$/mo (i think it's 13 to be exact). Im leaning toward canceling once mine runs out next.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think it is useful, but I'm still not sold that it's worth ~15$/mo (i think it's 13 to be exact). Im leaning toward canceling once mine runs out next.
Well there goes that lol. The search continues.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/21/16-upper deload
Warm up
Usual stuff
Chinsx3x2

Med grip bench paused
185x6 @5-6
195x6 @5-6
205x6 @5-6
215x6 @6-7
Incline bench paused
135x6x2 @5-6
155x6 @5-6
175x6 @8-9
Ed coan style be rows
185x8x5 @7-8
Chins
2x2
Extra/rehab:
Hammer curls/mini band pullaparts
30x12x2/75 total
Micro band Dave Tate style pushdowns
100 total reps
Usual rehab stuff 2 rounds

Bench volume:

Notes3 at some expired food yesterday so I didn't even really fee like training. Lightened my deload compared to what I had planned based on this. Couldn't find a yoga mat to do floor press so I winged it. Really liked the med grip bench. Challenged my imbalances and hit my tris harder then comp pressing. I opted for incline over dips due to me hating them more and they don't bother my elbow as much. Plus I can do them at ether gym the same way. I am really bad at them too lol. The rest was normal stuff. Feeling healthier structure wise.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/22/16-rehab
Saw my chiro and got some more work done. Feel better once again. Getting excited for the future. Week 2 of the the come back.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/23/16-lower
Warm up
Usual stuff plus adductor activation

Comp squat
145x8x4 @0
Ed coan style sldl beltless doh
225x6x4 @6-7
Hack squats (different machine)
180x6x3 @6-7
Land mines (different set up)
25lbs on curl barx10x5 @6-7
Extra/rehab:
Bss/doubled mini around knees squat abduction plus double pause squats/mini band adduction left leg
Bwx10/10+5/20, 2 sets
Micro band adduction Dave Tate style 40 total reps

Squat volume:
Deadlift volume:

Notes: didn't deload today as I felt good so I just added some volume. My squats feel perfect form wise but the weight is so easy. That is ok tho. The rest was more volume then last week and easier too. I'll deload when it's needed as my squat volume is pretty low atm.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I wouldn't be deloading unless you feel like you are in fatigue debt or you are on the cusp of an injury/aggravation. For now just keep pushing the workscope of your rehab further and deeper as you can safely.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah I wouldn't be deloading unless you feel like you are in fatigue debt or you are on the cusp of an injury/aggravation. For now just keep pushing the workscope of your rehab further and deeper as you can safely.
Thanks. Yeah I'm deloading my upper body atm. But I'm just slowly adding to my lower body again. Things are picking back up slowly.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/25/16-upper deload
Warm up
Usual stuff
Chinsx3x2

Spoto press paused
165x5x3 @4-5
Oh press
95x6x3 @4-5
Db rows
80x8x2 @5-6
90x8 @5-6
Chins
3x3
Extra/rehab:
Db curls/micro band rear delt flys
30x6x2/50 total reps
Micro band push downs Dave Tate style 100 reps
Usual rehab stuff 2 rounds

Bench volume:

Notes: felt stupid strong but was very tired from a long work week so deloaded as planned. I noticed I feel free weight rows and chins a lot more then machine versions. I was brought up on a healthy amount of db and bb rows anyways with chins.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/26/16-lower
Warm up
Usual stuff

2in block conv pull
395x6x6 @6/6/7/8/8/8 volume pr
Comp squat beltless
145x8x2 @5-6
Hack squat
180x6x3 @7/8/8
Abs wheel
8x5 @6/7/8/8/8
Extra/rehab:
Mini band left leg adduction/doubled mini around knees abduction pause squat combo
20/10+5, 2 sets
Micro band adduction Dave Tate style/uni sldl
20/10x10, 2 sets

Deadlift volume:
Squat volume:

Notes: still tired from the week and the gym I was out is is a warehouse one so the heat and humidity hit me pretty hard. Felt strong as all hell on pulls. Fixed my belt position and it was money. Hit my goal for this weight in terms of volume. So now I gotta decide if I wanna take my pull into a strength block with my bench or not. I was pretty fatigued for the squat work and abs tho. Happy overall.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For those of you who program for yourselves.

If I finished my deadlift hyper work at around 20,000lbs where would you start for volume for a strength block?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Would you push the volume up or taper down over the block with increases in intensity?

I only ask bc in the templates that Mike Israetel writes. He starts low volume in strength blocks and adds weight and sets every week and peaks all moves in an overload week before the deload. Idk if I'd be able to handle peaking close to 20,000lbs of volume on pulls over a strength block.

So I'm wondering where to start and where to look to end up.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Either will work if you taper right. CWS doesn't the second option, but as you know there's more than one way to skin a cat

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Either will work if you taper right. CWS doesn't the second option, but as you know there's more than one way to skin a cat
Of course there is. I like chads way with daily undulation in the block. But I've been sticking to mikes style for simplicities sake.

I was more curious where to start but I appreciate the help. I'll look to end somewhere near 80% and see how I recovery and adjust as needed:

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So based on that I'm not sure how well I recover and I'm gonna push the weights in this strength block I'm gonna go with:

Week 1:
75%x5x6 for all lifts spread over the week and variations
Week 2:
Add 2.5-5% over week 1x4x7 for all lifts spread over the week and variations
Week 3:
Add 2.5-5% over week 2x4x6-7 for all lifts spread over the week.

Idk if this looks like to little volume or not. It's less then what cws has in his championship program.

I'll take any suggestions. Volume is a lot less then hyper blocks but that's not the goal of the strength block.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Quick question aren't you still working thought some issues atm wouldn't it be a good idea to chill work on some size and technique rather the just say "fck it im better let's get after it full bore again"

If I missed something I apologize and I'm not trying to be an ass just asking

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Quick question aren't you still working thought some issues atm wouldn't it be a good idea to chill work on some size and technique rather the just say "fck it im better let's get after it full bore again"

If I missed something I apologize and I'm not trying to be an ass just asking
Yes I am still working through some things with my squat. Deadlift and bench are fine right now. So if only be doing a strength block for them as I continue to rehab my squat.

I've done about 3 months of hyper training so I wanted to do 2 strength blocks to avoid staleness and to keep results coming. I'll be starting at the low end and working my way up. No peak anytime soon tho.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Alright I just didn't want u to rush into anything and have another setback is all

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Alright I just didn't want u to rush into anything and have another setback is all
That's the last thing I want also. So things are not being rushed. Just want to keep results coming is all.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Got my newest blood work results. Finally on target.

Total t 1000
Free t 32.5
Prolactin 8
E2 29

Happy with this and will keep thing here.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/28/16-secondary bench (light) sb 1 week 1 day 1
Warm up
Usual stuff
Chinsx3x2

Foam bench paused
75%-285x5x3 @6/7/8
3 count paused bench
75%-235x5x3 @8/8/8
Ed coan style bb rows
205x6x3 @7/8/8
Chinsx3x3
Extra:
Skullcrushers to mouth/hammer curls
85x6/30x6, 2 sets @6-7
Rehab: usual stuff, 2 rounds

Bench volume:

Notes: had a buddy help me readjust my bench form. It'll take a touch to reconnect. It made a big difference. Was able to finally use all my pressing muscles and back to move the weight as well as shorten the bar path. I now fully understand how the upper back and pressing muscles work in the raw bench. Keep an eye out for some big weights.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ooooh. I like those last few sentences.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Going to be interesting especially when you consider how much larger the pectorals are than the triceps! And both, look out.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Going to be interesting especially when you consider how much larger the pectorals are than the triceps! And both, look out.
I'm still a tricep bencher but having some pec pushing will deff help.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/29/16-rehab
Saw my chiro again. He worked on my lats and chest. Says even tho I worked them yesterday they feel much better then last week. Left adductor is much better also. He really worked on my psoas and glute on right side as that is one of the last areas still really being effected. Keeping up with it all.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would go with the lower volume scheme for you. I feel we are similar in that we tend to not tolerate much volume compared to the average lifter of around our strength level, and every time we ramp it we tend to do so too quickly for us which is when parts break.

I'd rather cut the volume on the wimpy side and leave potential gains on the table than get greedy and get hurt - because then you go backwards. Be the tortoise.

Nothing wrong with volume, but I feel we are like alcoholics in that when we start to push you and I struggle more than the most to walk the line. Usually we blow right past it.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would go with the lower volume scheme for you. I feel we are similar in that we tend to not tolerate much volume compared to the average lifter of around our strength level, and every time we ramp it we tend to do so too quickly for us which is when parts break.

I'd rather cut the volume on the wimpy side and leave potential gains on the table than get greedy and get hurt - because then you go backwards. Be the tortoise.

Nothing wrong with volume, but I feel we are like alcoholics in that when we start to push you and I struggle more than the most to walk the line. Usually we blow right past it.
I hear you, will do. Thanks bud.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/30/16-primary squat/secondary deadlift (med) sb 1 week 1 day 3
Warm up
Usual stuff

Comp squat beltless rehab
195x6x2 @5-6
215x5 @5-6
Hack squat
230x4x4 @8/8/8/7
Conv pause deadlift right below knee
79%-415x4x3 @6/7/7
Landmines/bss/left leg mini band adduction
35x5 per side/8/15, 2 sets @7/7
Land mines/doubled mini around knees squat abduction and pauses
35x5 per side/10-5, 2 sets @8/8

Squat volume:
Deadlift volume:

Notes: long session. Was humid so it took me longer to recover between sets unfortunately. Felt very strong once I got things dialed in. Squats were pain free. Still not rushing it though. Pause pulls at sticking point sucks, really challenged my form and I need to keep relearning to pull with my belt on. Might be putting it to tight.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/1/16-primary bench (heavy) sb 1 week 1 day 4
Warm up
Usual stuff
Chinsx3x2

Comp bench paused
82.5%-285x4x3 @7/7/8
Cg bench paused
82.5%-260x4x3 @7/8/8
Chest supported row med grip overhand paused at contraction
135x5x4 @9/9/9/9
Chins 9 total reps (15total for session)
Extra:
Standing French press/mini band pullaparts paused at contraction
65x6x2/10x2, @5-6

Bench volume:

Notes: currently in the middle of moving and get tired and wrecked coming in. But the new technique showed up again. Felt strong as hell in spite of this. My bench is deff coming back. Fee very healthy. Even tho pecs were sore. Just need to make sure I lock my legs in better so my ass doesn't move, I felt it but no video proof.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/2/16-primary deadlift/secondary squat (light) sb 1 week 1 day 4
Warm up
Usual stuff

Conv deadlift
75%-440x5x2 @7-8 each
Comp squat paused rehab
185x5x2 @4-5
Hack squat paused
180x5x2 @7-8 each
Abs wheel paused
5x3 @7-8
Extra:
Mini band adduction 15x2
Mini band around knees paused squat abduction and pauses 10-5x2

Squat volume:
Deadlift volume:

Notes: felt like I was hit by a truck with moving and training. So I cut some volume. Total volume for lower body is still meeting Israetels suggested amount. Bench is in the middle of his recommendation atm. I tend to tolerate upper body volume more anyways. The top sets for pulls went better then all my warm ups. May have finally fixed my shin bump at the bottom of the lift thanks to some feedback and video watching.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/4/16-secondary bench (med) sb 1 week 2 day 1
Warm up
Usual stuff
Chinsx3x2

Foam press paused
79%-305x4x4 @7/8/8/6
3 count pause press
79%-245x4x3 @6/6/6
Incline bench chest supported db rows with 2 count pause
60x5x4 @8/8/6/6
Chins 11, 17 total
Extra:
Skullcrushers to mouth/hammer curls/scalp push-ups cg
85x6/35x6/6, 2 sets @6/6
Rehab: usual stuff 2 rounds

Bench volume:

Notes: mentally drained not gonna lie. However I fee great physically and I got tighter on each set of bench with the new technique and it clicked the last set hence the drop in rpe. It carried over into 3 count pause. Bench feels like it use to, but better. Have to relearn real tightness now that things don't hurt. The buddy that helped my bench set up said the pause rows really helped him reinforce the position. So o switched gears to that, I want a big bench. Plus my lower back was not ready for bb rows after the weekend. Feeling very strong on bench.

Edit helped teach same buddy to wedge on pulls so I had longer breaks on rows hence the rpe drop:

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Bench numbers really seem to be moving up comfortably. Don't rush that pec and keep on keeping on - making great progress.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
???? I'm back ...good to see you're still keeping up w this

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/6/16-session a-rehab
Got some more work done. My right lat is somewhat shut off. We did some work to turn it on. Makes sense with my whole right side effected. Got my right hip opened up and it feels the best it has since the injury. Ready to rock some lifting later. Btw having your psoas worked on is a nightmare.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was gonna ask what he did to open up the hip. Im assuming psoas art is part of it after that last sentence. Anything else?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was gonna ask what he did to open up the hip. Im assuming psoas art is part of it after that last sentence. Anything else?
Worked on psoas, glute, adductor. Idk what it was all called but it all hurt a lot. Some of was also cueing the left side to fire properly with the right as I moved.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/6/16-session b, primary squat/secondary deadlift (heavy) sb 1 week 2 day 2

Warm up
Usual stuff

Comp squat beltless
235x5x3 @5-6
Hack squat
270x4x2 @8-9
Conv pause deadlift right below knee
82.5%-435x4x3 @7/7/7
Land mines
40lbs on barx5 per sidex4 @8-9
Extra:
Mini band adduction left leg/mini band around knees abduction and pause squat combo
15/10-5, 2 sets

Notes: as planned once I hit 2 plates on squats again I pulled one set off the hacks to compensate. Hacks went amazing. Feeling very strong overall. Adding weight and all lifts are getting easier. Pulls felt so easy and I was nailing my starting position, belt position, and brace. I know prs on bench and pull are coming. It's all about when I want them at this point.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome pause pulls. And milk it milk it milk it. Just keep circling til it practically falls into your lap. The wider you build the base the higher you can build the peak...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome pause pulls. And milk it milk it milk it. Just keep circling til it practically falls into your lap. The wider you build the base the higher you can build the peak...
Tru dis

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's the plan! Already hitting volume prs anyways

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/8/16-primary bench (light) sb 1 week 2 day 3
Warm up
Usual stuff
Chinsx3x2

Comp bench paused
75%-265x5x3 @6-7
Cg bench paused
75%-245x5x3 @7-8
Chest supported over hand grip rows paused
145x6x3 @8
Chinsx11, 17 total
Extra:
Standing French press/mini band pull aparts paused
85x6/10, 2 sets @6/6
Rehab: usual stuff: 2 rounds

Notes: felt strong as hell once again. Found my bench set up, nailed the new technique and was able to repeat it on every set, even cg. Hit more weight on rows, at a lower rpe with more reps. Confidence is sky high. Feel great.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/9/16-primary deadlift/secondary squat (med) sb 1 week 2 day 4
Warm up
Usual stuff

Conv deadlift
79%-465x4x4 @7/7/7/8
Comp pause squat beltless
235x5x3 @5-6
Hack squat paused
230x4x2 @8/8
Abs wheel
2 count pausex5x4 @8
Extra:
Mini band adduction left leg/squat abduction pause combo/mini band left leg abduction with oblique crunch
15/10-5/15, 2 sets

Notes: super bloated. Got some deadlift cues which helped. Felt strong again and was blowing the weights off the ground. Squats felt the best they have in the last few weeks.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/11/16-secondary bench (heavy) sb 1 week 3 day 1

Warm up
Usual
Chinsx3x2

Bench to foam paused
82.5%-315x4x3 @8/7/8
3 count pause bench
82.5%-260x4x3 @8/8/9
Incline chest supported db rows paused
80x5x4 @8/8/9/9
Chinsx13, 19 total
Extra:
Skull crusher to mouth/hammer curls/scap push-ups cg and wg
95x6/40x6/6, 2 sets @6/6/6
Rehab: usual stuff, 2 rounds

Notes: was pretty drained from work. But got in my work. Bench is coming along so well. Body is ready for the deload, just gotta make it to Saturday. Get strong again even though I'm tired.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/13/16-rehab
Got a lot of work done on my right hip and left oblique. There is still some cross communication issues. My hips feels better then it has since it was hurt. So good I can get into my old sumo stance pain free. I was told to test it tonight and see how it holds up. Gonna lift with my chiro in a few hrs hopefully.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/13/16-primary squat/secondary deadlift (light) sb 1 week 3 day 2
Warm up
Usual stuff

Comp squat beltless
285x5x3 @6-7
Sumo pause below knee
75% of my conv pause pull max-395x5x2 @5-6
Sumo box deadlifts
185x4 breaks and 1 full rep, 2 sets
225x4 breaks and 1 full rep
Hack squat
230x5x2 @8
Weird activation drill my chiro showed me mid session 2 sets 1000000 for hip/oblique tie in
Land mines
25x6x3 @6 boy did that activation drill help on this
Extra:
Mini band around knees abduction and pause squat combo/left leg adduction
10-5/15x2 sets
Another round of that activation drill

Notes: session was a touch all over the place. Didn't expect to feel that good on squat. After fixing my positions on it I was smashing the weight. Sumo was pain free and went super well. Hips and form was a touch rusty. But it's still there. Gonna work some sumo back in and keep with the conv as my main pull for now as I continue to heal up. My chiro wanted me to test the hip so I did. He was doing box pulls to help with his hip strength so I jumped in to cut a set of pulls out to stop while I was ahead and hammer my hips. Much harder then I expected. Hacks are starting to get to my knees, good thing I deload next week and squats are picking back up. Overall very strong and good day. Learning some things and getting better everyday.