Supplements for kidneys

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
If any of you saw my last log you saw it was ended sooner expected because of weird stuff going on. Such as kidney discomfort and an enlarged/swollen spleen, insane craving for water despite my downing 2-3 gallon jugs of water a day. The spleen thing is gone but every now and then I get a sensation like I can fell very mild, very dull pain in my kidney area. It's the left side if that means anything to anyone. But I've been taking 2-3 caps of TUDCA a day, milk thistle, grape seed extract and hawthorn berry extract the last week and drinking no less than 1.5 gallons a day. Are there any supplements that legit help "detox" the body or help the kidneys? I'm 20, never had legit kidney stones only small deposits I pee'ed out that the doc called a "sand dump". My sugar intake is next to nothing, diet is good, I'm in the gym a lot again, I'm sleeping 12-16hrs total a day since I'm laid off work. Not sure where this came from and the doc said If it isn't stones he can't do anything and to wait a few weeks to see if it worsens. But can anyone give me some help? I want my body operating at 100% and this weird kidney pain makes me nervous.

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
With what you have described there is too little information to give you a solid recommendation and by the sounds of things it doesn't seem like your doctor has finished diagnostics.

How was your splenomegaly diagnosed?
The one thing that jumps out for me is the obvious renal involvement given the polydipsia. The reason that this is striking is because splenomegaly diagnosed by ultrasound can produce a false negative in the presence of left side kidney pathology. Additionally the aetiologies of splenomegaly are generally secondary to conditions that carry fairly definitive clinical symptoms that I'm sure you would have listed.

From your superficial description- I would be focussing investigations on identifying any renal pathology- be it infection, calculi, ect- if it hasn't been done already.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
My doc simply asked how I felt and pressed around on my stomach. My spleen was swollen and almost burst once before when I had mono so it felt exactly like that except not so extreme.
You really know your stuff, can you tell me what talks I need to have with my doc so I can get him motivated to figure out if anything at all is wrong.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If any of you saw my last log you saw it was ended sooner expected because of weird stuff going on. Such as kidney discomfort and an enlarged/swollen spleen, insane craving for water despite my downing 2-3 gallon jugs of water a day. The spleen thing is gone but every now and then I get a sensation like I can fell very mild, very dull pain in my kidney area. It's the left side if that means anything to anyone. But I've been taking 2-3 caps of TUDCA a day, milk thistle, grape seed extract and hawthorn berry extract the last week and drinking no less than 1.5 gallons a day. Are there any supplements that legit help "detox" the body or help the kidneys? I'm 20, never had legit kidney stones only small deposits I pee'ed out that the doc called a "sand dump". My sugar intake is next to nothing, diet is good, I'm in the gym a lot again, I'm sleeping 12-16hrs total a day since I'm laid off work. Not sure where this came from and the doc said If it isn't stones he can't do anything and to wait a few weeks to see if it worsens. But can anyone give me some help? I want my body operating at 100% and this weird kidney pain makes me nervous.
In addition to furions post, it is best that you continue to seek doctors advice AND ignore any comments regarding supplements that will "fix" you. While a few members here may hold PhDs, the vast majority (myself included) should never give advice pertaining to a medical condition.

The doctor will know the best way forward. Trust the process

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
In addition to furions post, it is best that you continue to seek doctors advice AND ignore any comments regarding supplements that will "fix" you. While a few members here may hold PhDs, the vast majority (myself included) should never give advice pertaining to a medical condition. The doctor will know the best way forward. Trust the process
I normally do that, and I know I should continue to do it but his response last time was to just wait and see if it worsens. I'm the type to jump on things and be proactive. Sitting back and seeing if it gets worse seems insane to me.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I normally do that, and I know I should continue to do it but his response last time was to just wait and see if it worsens. I'm the type to jump on things and be proactive. Sitting back and seeing if it gets worse seems insane to me.
I agree. It never hurts to seek a second opinion if you are able to. I just dont think a board is the best place to ask given any supplement advice is likely not going to improve your situation.

I would go see someone else (mind you, nz doctors are subsidized so fortunately it doesnt cost me much to do so).

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Does ur urine smell like burnt rubber or similar? I had this issue and used DMannose but if you are still having discomfort go for 2nd opinion

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
No one here can help you because we don't have a clear diagnosis.

Polyuria suggests glomerulopathy. Costovertebral angle tenderness suggests pyelonephritis. Peeing a sand dump (crystals absent casts) can be suggestive of stones but it's an unremarkable finding. And not to downplay what you're going through, but having a mixed bag of symptoms can easily be psychosomatic with no real pathology.

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
My doc simply asked how I felt and pressed around on my stomach. My spleen was swollen and almost burst once before when I had mono so it felt exactly like that except not so extreme. You really know your stuff, can you tell me what talks I need to have with my doc so I can get him motivated to figure out if anything at all is wrong.
As I stated, you have too little information to offer realistic (and safe) recommendations. Additionally, as already noted, a plethora of differentials exist going off the vague symptoms you have described.

If diagnosis of an enlarged spleen was only made by palpation (as you described) and not correlated with any other clinical findings (blood tests or imaging) that's where I would start.

But once again it seems as though your doctor hasn't made definitive diagnosis yet. If you don't trust his process or are not satisfied see someone else.

alland

alland

Awards
what did your blood work look like? Creatinine and BUN?

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I asked for bloods but the doc said it was not necessary. I'm calling another office and going to a different doc. Even if I'm fine, if I want bloods I should get bloods done.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In addition to furions post, it is best that you continue to seek doctors advice AND ignore any comments regarding supplements that will "fix" you. While a few members here may hold PhDs, the vast majority (myself included) should never give advice pertaining to a medical condition.

The doctor will know the best way forward. Trust the process
Agreed. You need to find out why your body is like this and address the root cause.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Root cause was stress, on meds and doing amazing. Never felt or slept better in my life. Didn't realize my job and life where stressing me out so much.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Stress plays a role on everything. Going through college i was stressed out non stop and after college is when i saw some good gains in muscle size and definition for me so thats how i really know stress management plays a big role. I also use to take mood enhancing supps in college and they worked sometimes. ha

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
"Mood enhancing supps" lol where these from GNC or the hippie a few doors down in the dorms

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
"Mood enhancing supps" lol where these from GNC or the hippie a few doors down in the dorms
Haha the hippie down the road;) haha jk no just like natural herbal mood enhancement supps. Are you still having kidney pain?

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
No pain, no discomfort, no weird feeling where I could feel my kidney but it wouldn't necessarily hurt or anything. No spleen or gut stuff. I've actually noticed my bathroom schedule is more regular and food consumption is higher. Sex improved quite a bit. Basically my body was way more stressed than I thought. When I got migraines every day to where I couldn't sit or stand I knew I needed to find a better doc. This doc apparently nailed it.