Suitable cortisol control supplement for women?

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
My wife has high cortisol levels and she has gained weight as a result. Cardio and diet are in check but her weight isn't moving. Looking for suggestions on safe cortisol control supplements. Safety is of the utmost importance. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks,Monte

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Do you have bloodwork evidencing high cortisol levels? Cortisol is a catabolic hormone and high cortisol leads to weight loss

Reactions: mw1
Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have bloodwork evidencing high cortisol levels? Cortisol is a catabolic hormone and high cortisol leads to weight loss
Yep this. (Even though me and this guy are not supposed to agree :p) Normally cortisol controlling supplements are used for muscle preservation not weight loss.

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
Coop, Montego - thanks for the replies. Yes, recent blood results show high cortisol levels. I thought high levels were associated with body fat gain - especially in the abdomen area? That is her main issue. Her test was also on the high end of the range but she does not have any androgenic side effects (note - she does not use AAS or PH). Any comments or speculation would be welcome. Thanks, Monte

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coop, Montego - thanks for the replies. Yes, recent blood results show high cortisol levels. I thought high levels were associated with body fat gain - especially in the abdomen area? That is her main issue. Her test was also on the high end of the range but she does not have any androgenic side effects (note - she does not use AAS or PH). Any comments or speculation would be welcome. Thanks, Monte
Curious what did her physician say or offer as a solution to the issue?

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
Curious what did her physician say or offer as a solution to the issue?
They think she has something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. She works out like a champ and eats well but cannot lose weight. Fat around the abdomen is particularly stubborn. Cortisol is very high and test is also elevated. The weight gain is having a terrible mental impact so I'm hoping supplements can play a helpful role.The doctors are doing more testing before recommending a course of therapy.Monte

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They think she has something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. She works out like a champ and eats well but cannot lose weight. Fat around the abdomen is particularly stubborn. Cortisol is very high and test is also elevated. The weight gain is having a terrible mental impact so I'm hoping supplements can play a helpful role.The doctors are doing more testing before recommending a course of therapy.Monte
Honestly I'd hold off on using supplements for now until all the testing is done and they give you a course of action to do. It's a bad answer to hear but I wouldn't recommend any supplements until then. I'm sorry for your wife that she's going through all this only advice I'd say is be supportive as possible obviously and be as reassuring as ever. Unless Coop has any other advice to give.

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I'd hold off on using supplements for now until all the testing is done and they give you a course of action to do. It's a bad answer to hear but I wouldn't recommend any supplements until then. I'm sorry for your wife that she's found through all this only advice I'd say is be supportive as possible obviously and be as reassuring as ever. Unless Coop has any other advice to give.
Thanks, Prep. Appreciate your comments and advice. The weight gain has hurt her mentally. Nothing she's doing has helped. Hard as a husband to watch your wife suffer. Best,Monte

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wait..I thought high levels of cortisol perpetuated fat storage?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Wait..I thought high levels of cortisol perpetuated fat storage?
Sigh...Jim Stoppani wins again :D

They promote fat resdistribution. You will lose weight on the net. Muscle throughout the body, fat from the extremities, with redposition in the mid-section. Look up google images for Cushing's

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sigh...Jim Stoppani wins again :D

They promote fat resdistribution. You will lose weight on the net. Muscle throughout the body, fat from the extremities, with redposition in the mid-section. Look up google images for Cushing's
Weight on the net meaning you will lose muscle and subsequently keep or possibly gain adipose?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Weight on the net meaning you will lose muscle and subsequently keep or possibly gain adipose?
I mean you will lose muscle and lose fat tissue. The fat will be redistributed due to adipogenesis, but cortisol will chiefly affect lipolysis.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I mean you will lose muscle and lose fat tissue. The fat will be redistributed due to adipogenesis, but cortisol will chiefly affect lipolysis.
So it redistributes the fat more than eliminates it? Is it used in cuts purely for hopes if bettering aesthetics? Confused as to the exact purpose of cort control now.

A product like Reduct XT or Abliderate AMMO is best used for what then, in your opinion

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
So it redistributes the fat more than eliminates it? Is it used in cuts purely for hopes if bettering aesthetics? Confused as to the exact purpose of cort control now.

A product like Reduct XT or Abliderate AMMO is best used for what then, in your opinion
I think you catabolise all types of tissue, but some of the fat that is broken down is re-formed and redistributed in the mid-region. I would assume one would use cortisol controlling supplements to attenuate diet or training related cortisol spikes. So for example during the latter parts of a cut or periods of intense training.

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
I think you catabolise all types of tissue, but some of the fat that is broken down is re-formed and redistributed in the mid-region. I would assume one would use cortisol controlling supplements to attenuate diet or training related cortisol spikes. So for example during the latter parts of a cut or periods of intense training.
Saggy, this was my rationale behind suggesting a cortisol lowering supplement for my wife. She's in a constant "spike", if you will, given her condition. Coop mentioned Cushing's Disease and she has some similar symptoms. People with Cushing's have a swollen, almost bloated look given the excess cortisol levels. My wife is suffering through the same. Best, Monte

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Saggy, this was my rationale behind suggesting a cortisol lowering supplement for my wife. She's in a constant "spike", if you will, given her condition. Coop mentioned Cushing's Disease and she has some similar symptoms. People with Cushing's have a swollen, almost bloated look given the excess cortisol levels. My wife is suffering through the same. Best, Monte
I can understand the rationale and I have tried it myself when I put myself through extreme stress through a combination of diet and intense training. My cortisol was constantly spiked, I was on edge and couldn't sleep at all at night. What helped me the most was phosphotidyle serine (PS). I was around 600mg daily, most in the evening and also vitamin c throughout the day. I would look into PS.

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
I can understand the rationale and I have tried it myself when I put myself through extreme stress through a combination of diet and intense training. My cortisol was constantly spiked, I was on edge and couldn't sleep at all at night. What helped me the most was phosphotidyle serine (PS). I was around 600mg daily, most in the evening and also vitamin c throughout the day. I would look into PS.
Thanks, Saggy. Is there a particular brand you recommend?

Monte

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ashwagandha?

Typical 1.5% withanolides products I would give around a gram before bed a try. Sensoril brand (Jarrow's, Abyss Unparalleled, Life Extension, etc.) would be @ 250 mg before bed. Could also be split at around 500 mg twice a day for the 1.5% withanolides extract or 125 mg twice a day for the Sensoril brand extract.

It's great for reducing stress induced cortisol level increases but I don't know if it would do anything for medical condition induced raised cortisol levels.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Chronic cortisol secretion would hinder your bodies ability to become anabolic. While anabolic and catabolic signalling occur simultaneously at a cellular level, the net result is either catabolism or anabolism.

In times of chronic stress or after being in a deficit for a long period of time, you would want to limit how much cortisol you secrete as you would also lose muscle.

Cortisol shouldn't be feared though, as it serves a useful function, but controlling excessive secretion is key.

Hence why I would recommend Reduce XT on a cut rather than a bulk.

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
Ashwagandha?

Typical 1.5% withanolides products I would give around a gram before bed a try. Sensoril brand (Jarrow's, Abyss Unparalleled, Life Extension, etc.) would be @ 250 mg before bed. Could also be split at around 500 mg twice a day for the 1.5% withanolides extract or 125 mg twice a day for the Sensoril brand extract.

It's great for reducing stress induced cortisol level increases but I don't know if it would do anything for medical condition induced raised cortisol levels.
Thanks for the info. Never heard of Sensoril Ashwagandha - will look into it. Is this an herbal remedy?

Monte

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
I just bought some in bulk from the UK. I found this website the most helpful...

]
Very interesting link, Saggy. Pretty direct comments about cortisol and fat gain. Will read with great interest.

Monte

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
Chronic cortisol secretion would hinder your bodies ability to become anabolic. While anabolic and catabolic signalling occur simultaneously at a cellular level, the net result is either catabolism or anabolism.

In times of chronic stress or after being in a deficit for a long period of time, you would want to limit how much cortisol you secrete as you would also lose muscle.

Cortisol shouldn't be feared though, as it serves a useful function, but controlling excessive secretion is key.

Hence why I would recommend Reduce XT on a cut rather than a bulk.
Jiigzz, great info - thanks. Reduce XT looks like an interesting supplement. I checked Nutraplamet and there was a warning about impact on estrogen levels. I am investigating a non-hormonal supplement for my wife, but XT is of potential interest for me. Will definitely look into this.

Monte

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the info. Never heard of Sensoril Ashwagandha - will look into it. Is this an herbal remedy?

Monte
It's herbal. The Sensoril brand of the extract actually has a pretty comprehensive clinical trial for it (reduced cortisol levels considerably, I recall it being around 20-30% reduction in cortisol levels). I've also used regular 1.5% withanolide ashwagandha extract, it has a different feel but it was also effective at reducing stress and leaving me refreshed and ready to go the morning after.

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
It's herbal. The Sensoril brand of the extract actually has a pretty comprehensive clinical trial for it (reduced cortisol levels considerably, I recall it being around 20-30% reduction in cortisol levels). I've also used regular 1.5% withanolide ashwagandha extract, it has a different feel but it was also effective at reducing stress and leaving me refreshed and ready to go the morning after.
Very interesting. First time I'm hearing of this. Will look into it. Thanks again.

Monte

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jiigzz, great info - thanks. Reduce XT looks like an interesting supplement. I checked Nutraplamet and there was a warning about impact on estrogen levels. I am investigating a non-hormonal supplement for my wife, but XT is of potential interest for me. Will definitely look into this.

Monte
if you want something that works, and works well, reduce xt is the way to go.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cut out the carbs 100% for 4 weeks straight and that should lower her fat nicely?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also nrala, carnatine and CLA is great to for fat loss.

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
Cut out the carbs 100% for 4 weeks straight and that should lower her fat nicely?
Agreed. But I don't think she's strong enough to do that. Diet is good, but not that good. Ha ha. Appreciate the other suggestions very much.

Monte

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Agreed let's not have the women who we don't know what's going on inside her body right now do drastic change to her diet like cutting out carbs.
Agreed. There is far more to this than diet, and changing something like this may only exacerbate the issues.