stronglift 5x5 and mods

smash1904

smash1904

Awards
I've been doing stronglift 5x5 for about 12 weeks now, and I've been real happy with it. The regiment looks like:

Group A:
Squat
Bench press
Bent over row

Group B:
Squat
Over head press
Deadlift

It's all 5x5 with 5lbs added every time you hit a lift except Deadlift which is two warm up sets and then one set which is 10lbs more than the previous time. It's Mon Wens Fri switch off between A and B.

I added tri cable pulldown to group A n close grip chin up to group B, plus Pec Dec Mon, Lat pullover Wens, traps Fri, and leg ups + weighted obliques all three days.

The thing is I think I'm squating too often - my knees are a little achey and the ligaments connecting on the inside pelvis are really soar. Maybe its poor hip flexibility, but I really feel it in the lift. And now I'm starting to feel it more and more into the next day or two.

So this is what I'm thinking:

Group A:
Squat
Bench press
Bent over row
Skull crusher
Front delt
Pec dec
Leg ups
Weighted obliques

Group B:
Deadlift
Overhead press
Widegrip pullup
Preacher curl
Side delt
Shrugs
Leg ups
Weighted obliques

Group C:
Squat
Bench press
Bent over row
Forearms
Rear delt
Lat pullover
Leg ups
Weighted obliques

*only the first 3 are 5x5, I think I'd aim at 3x8 or 2x10 for the rest.

This fixes that, plus mixes it up a little bit, and gives a little more isolation.

Any thoughts?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Are you new to lifting? Cause those are some really mean lift progressions.

smash1904

smash1904

Awards
I suggest allowing yourself adequate recover times anywhere from 2-3 days for each muscle group to prevent overtraining. Another notion is that you might have muscle imbalances or do not warm joints well enough. It could also be the notion that you are overusing your hips or might not be getting in enough omega3s and glucosamine which are great for joint by libricating them.
With it being Mon Wens Fri with no training on in between days that's 42 hours between training sessions, but ya I felt like I was starting to overtrain on squats a little - but that might just be me. 5x5 3x5 maddox and 5x5 advanced are all well established routines with squating 3x a week. Before this I used to do hst which was similar - 3 days a week of full body.

I have thought bout imbalances - my right leg got bit by dog pretty bad about two years ago, and I've wondered if that would affect lifts in the future. I do warm up sets before doing the lifts. I've thought about hip flexibility so I stretch pretty deep. As for joint support n omega 3s: 3g msm 2.4g glucosamine 2.4g epa n dha a day.

smash1904

smash1904

Awards
Are you new to lifting? Cause those are some really mean lift progressions.
I really started weight training when I was 18, so that's close to 7 years of lifting. Would I say I'm advanced? Hell no. Squats n deadlifts are all new to me, I'm only squating 210 and deadlifting 225.

Is it a mean lift progession? Ya, its not easy, needed to work into it a bit. I got pretty used to it with hst.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I really started weight training when I was 18, so that's close to 7 years of lifting. Would I say I'm advanced? Hell no. Squats n deadlifts are all new to me, I'm only squating 210 and deadlifting 225.

Is it a mean lift progession? Ya, its not easy, needed to work into it a bit. I got pretty used to it with hst.
Ah. You did hst :)

I feel a lot of ppl burn out on it by over reaching too long. Me being one of them lol. Good luck!

I like the 5x5 for intermediate lifters when I move into a strength cycle. ;)

smash1904

smash1904

Awards
Ah. You did hst :)

I feel a lot of ppl burn out on it by over reaching too long. Me being one of them lol. Good luck!

I like the 5x5 for intermediate lifters when I move into a strength cycle. ;)
Ya I kind of like it more than the 5 day muscle split programs, I believe in the theory behind it.

So when I read up on 5x5 it made sense cause I'd really been looking to start focusing on strength, and had already started incorporating squat n deadlift - both new exercises to me. Being on cycle I felt like I could add some exercises to make it more comprehensive, sort of like crossing hst with 5x5.

But ya I'm feeling its burning me out a little bit.

smash1904

smash1904

Awards
Nice with joint lubrication through supplements. Sorry to hear about a dog biting you. That may impede your balances depending on the situation. What I do is warm up the hips by rotating them and doing walking lunges. Because I to have tight hips so i need to warm them up before doing leg weight training exercises. I also mimic the activity before. For example if I'm doing squats i do squats without any weight.
Should I up the dosage on those supps, or is there something else I can take? Ive read about some research chems or sumthin meant for joint tissue repair.

I feel focusing on more stretching, form, and warming up will be a big help, as well as dropping to x2 a week should resolve it. I'll keep you posted.

So what I want to know is how my modified 5x5 hst combo looks.