StrongLifts 5x5 weight suggestion

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I’m on my first week of 5x5 and tried calculating my max reps for the suggested starting weight, but since it’s been years I couldn’t remember and set things based off of my lifting with dumbbells while at home.
I completed my second day and I had to add weight to my bench press and bent over row today compared to what it recommended in the app.

Now I’m thinking I messed up and I’m lifting too light, but don’t want to kill myself and ego lift. Should I just keep going with what the app recommends or start over from the beginning.

(Side note: I’m already down 3 pounds this week after cleaning up my diet and eating close to my recommended macros instead of just whatever I can get my hands on.)

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ve overestimated my lifts when I have used apps and after a few weeks I have to adjust because it’s too heavy, I think it’s a better idea to start lower and work yourself up.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I’ve overestimated my lifts when I have used apps and after a few weeks I have to adjust because it’s too heavy, I think it’s a better idea to start lower and work yourself up.
Thanks for the advice.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No problem starting light. Will warm the tendons and joints up for the heavier weight! You'll shoot up in no time

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
No problem starting light. Will warm the tendons and joints up for the heavier weight! You'll shoot up in no time
I didn’t think of it that way. I’m using it to help me cut fat right now so I figured if it wasn’t creating enough stress it wouldn’t be helpful.