strength training not size

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
what is the best training for strength not size? I know that HST is size but what is the best for strength

also is it all diet dependent or rep scheme also

daveydoodle

daveydoodle

Awards
I understand that in theory HST might be designed for size (by the title alone Hypertrophy Specific Training), but I ran two modified 8 week programs of this and was amazingly impressed by the increase in strength. I was actually hoping for size; I ate 6000 cal p/day and was strict in my program. In the end, my strength shot up considerably. Maybe look into this again, or make modifications to an existing program within the same principals of the theory.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
makes sense should i just add cardio and tone down the carbs

daveydoodle

daveydoodle

Awards
I'm 100% satisfied with the program I followed, which constitutes a static variable. With regards to diet and cardio, it's tough to say because everyone is different. Some people retain water with an increase in carbs, some people get extremely lethargic with the depletion of muscle glycogen (carbs). Some people work in too high of a cardio zone and create a counter-productive environment for muscle strength or growth, some people (like me) loose 10 lbs just walking by a treadmill. I can positively attest to the efffectiveness of this program (when strictly adhered to), but unfortunately the effects of carbs and cardio can be individually specific. Trial and error getting to know your own body and its responses.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5-3-1 for strength. I never personally tried it but have read the book and seen logs of it and it looks to be a very good program. HST also sounds good but I have not read much on it.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I've used the hst approach for 2 years a few years back and it did well for size/definition, however it did ok for strength. anytime you progreesive load and succeed then your strength will go up, its just basics.
The major issue were the reps. my joints have never liked reps over 5, no matter the weight.
My overall strength was superior using the 5x5 programs or similar.

Example: 325 on bench
Took 2 months off, it took me forever to get back to 325 using hst where I did the same thing a few years later and used 5x5 and got back to my previous weight much quicker. Same diet, basic same supplements both times.

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
5x5
enough said in my book, its my go to scheme if i wanna get stronger.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look up Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe... Don't let the name fool you, even experienced lifters looking for strength can benefit from it.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
great info guys. so then the size aspect would be all diet dependent then? I am looking for a routine mainly for strength but with some lean mass but not primarily. So 5x5 would do the job and if I didnt over do the cal's w/ my diet that would be a sweet combo?

also would something like GVT 10 sets method not be great at strength since its all light weight but high volume? Do my muscle not get used to pushing/pulling heavy weight since its all light. AKA muscle memory

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Light weight. high volume is usually not a "strength" builder. Though, it will all build some relative strength.

5-6 reps is usually where it is for strength and 1-3 usually for pure explosive power which unless you compete in strong men comps, I can't see why you would train in the 1-3 rep range constantly.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Case in point. At one of my gyms that I use, there are mostly power lifters. These guys consume severe calories way beyond maintaining and they are grizzly bears deading 650-800+ and squatting 650+....

Then at my other gym the focus is more about athletes and they all live by measuring every ounce of food and dieting. You rarely see anyone "grizzly" in there and they are all "cut" yet you rarely see anyone squatting +650 either ...

Not saying neither of them can't but its just relative.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
great info guys. so then the size aspect would be all diet dependent then? I am looking for a routine mainly for strength but with some lean mass but not primarily. So 5x5 would do the job and if I didnt over do the cal's w/ my diet that would be a sweet combo?

also would something like GVT 10 sets method not be great at strength since its all light weight but high volume? Do my muscle not get used to pushing/pulling heavy weight since its all light. AKA muscle memory
I think GVTis more about muscle hypertrophy then strength.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Best strength training program? Well that depends on your training level. For a beginner, starting strength is probably the best. For intermediate and even above 5/3/1 or westside. Still everybody is different, you have to test around with different things and see what works best for you.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
i have been lifting for 4 years. so an intermediate program would be best. probably will look into 5/3/1 westside and begg strength. great suggestions guys. anyone have bookmarks for these online? If not i got google :) but some links/sites are better than others

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, Starting Strength is a book, but there are good resources online. Here is some guys blog that is dedicated to Starting Strength and does a good job.

I am actually following this program right now.

http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have been lifting for 4 years. so an intermediate program would be best. probably will look into 5/3/1 westside and begg strength. great suggestions guys. anyone have bookmarks for these online? If not i got google :) but some links/sites are better than others
some sites are better then others? Yea but what is better then AM :D

Westside articles -
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/9238-westside-barbell-powerlifting.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/40695-westside-training-articles.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/1772-west-side-workouts.html

5/3/1 - (the book is also available online for purchase nad is more in detail)
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/142206-5-3-1-a.html

DC training -

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/142908-dc-training-beginners.html

Hope one helps you find what your looking for. I would suggest you try and experiment with them all and find out what works for you. Remember weightlifting is a lifelong journey and your body will constantly change and evolve and so will your training. So just pick one and run the program and see how it is then switch it up to the next. By the end youll figure what works best for our body