SSRI's and their relation to the CNS

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I take an SSRI, Paxil to be exact, and it is certainly a real hindrance to my training. Just wondering what everyone elses thoughts were on this matter?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
It helps with vasodilation (good pumps), but that's about it. Can you half the dose and make do with 5 or 10mg? That may help.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm thinking of trying that, my biggest problem with it is the lethargy and how that is effecting my explosive strength and recovery. It has worked though in controlling the palpatations.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bro I got tons of posts (and unfortunately experience) about SSRIs over at Avant forums. Anyway I can really feel for you on this one because SSRIs always kill my strength, make me gain weight expecially around my belt line, and kill my sex drive. All I can say is that Prozac at 20mgs per day has been better then the others but its still not great. Of course if you are taking it for anxiety rather then depression Prozac may not be as effective for you as Paxil in controling the anxiety.

Mr.50

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I am taking it for heart arrhythmias and palpatations. The idea is to supress the CNS enough to control my heart rate, which of course is killing my power at times. I compete as an oly weightlifter, and the snatch/clean & Jerk are all about explosive power.

Thanks gents, and Mr.50 I will check out your stuff over at Avant, I have read quite a bit of info over there already.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
I dunno if this is any help, but I have been on Strattera, a SNRI, for about 5 months now and i am having a lot of trouble losing weight despite dropping calories and starting cardio. Maybe Dr. D will know something about this, sorry if anyone construes this as an attempt to hijack this post, as it isn't my intent.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
I take zoloft (50mg/day) and I feel better (no palpitations, anxiety goes away, etc), and when I first start taking it I actually lose weight (I guess I am less depressed so I don't snack or something), then after about 6 months I lose my sex drive. I have been on zoloft and HRT for a while now and that REEEEAAAALLLLY helps with the sex drive and make the depression/anxiety completely disappear. Is paxil the generic form of zoloft, I was thinking of changing to that because my monthly copay would be alot less?

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No they are different meds, what were you diagnosed with?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I dunno if this is any help, but I have been on Strattera, a SNRI, for about 5 months now and i am having a lot of trouble losing weight despite dropping calories and starting cardio. Maybe Dr. D will know something about this, sorry if anyone construes this as an attempt to hijack this post, as it isn't my intent.
Those with good metabolism (specifically the CYP2D6 system) should gain weight after a delay of a few months to years. Initially, however, I would imagine that weight may be lost due to appetite suppression especially if stacked with the depression.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
No they are different meds, what were you diagnosed with?
I take it for panic attacks, and general anxiety/depression. I have been on it for about 4 years, but with my latest job change the insurance company wants me to switch, I have to have the pharamcists get on the phone and call my dr office to get it approved every month. The alternatives that they are pushing are paxil and effexor. I know paxil is an ssri, but wasn't sure if it was the same or not. Effexor is an ssnri and I wasn't sure about the norepinephrine (sp?) side of the equation.

I'll talk to the doc at my yearly and see what he says.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Paxil wrecked me...I had to stop after 6 months of it. Switched to Lexapro and have been using it for the past 3 years. I take 30mg day and have ZERO side effects from what I can tell.

Check it out....you may react as well as I did.

Gumbo

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Yo bro...how do you dose the paxil? I had the same problem with zoloft, so I started taking it before bed, and it has made a world of difference.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Paxil wrecked me...I had to stop after 6 months of it. Switched to Lexapro and have been using it for the past 3 years. I take 30mg day and have ZERO side effects from what I can tell.

Check it out....you may react as well as I did.

Gumbo
cool, I'll ask him and do some research.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
You guys try Luvox. It's the only SSRI (besides Prozac) that I could ever taking in the morning. The rest should be dosed at night only. You may want to consider Remeron as well. It's the best mixed SSRI/SNRI I ever tried. Effexor and Serzone were just too dirty.