SSRI's & Water Retention

1 More Repp

1 More Repp

Awards
I started taking the SSRI Zoloft a week ago for depression and anxiety. I know people have very mixed feelings towards these drugs, but I tried everything natural and am very healthy overall. Anyways, I have noticed a large amount of water retention (or bloat) in my abdomen almost immediately after starting. My weight has stayed about the same and this is without any changes to my diet or workout routine.

Could Zoloft really be the culprit? If so, would this side effect go away over time. I would contact my doctor but the only answer I've gotten for any weight related question is "Zoloft is weight neutral."

Thanks for your time and consideration.

KimChee75

KimChee75

Awards
I have tried many of the anti-depressants over time, and found they all had too many sides...I gained weight on every single one of them except for Welbutrin..I actually lost weight on that..pretty strange, I'd diet and cardio my ass off, but as soon as I stopped the medications 30 lbs just fell off of me...my .02..

1 More Repp

1 More Repp

Awards
I have tried many of the anti-depressants over time, and found they all had too many sides...I gained weight on every single one of them except for Welbutrin..I actually lost weight on that..pretty strange, I'd diet and cardio my ass off, but as soon as I stopped the medications 30 lbs just fell off of me...my .02..
Thanks for the feedback. I tried the Wellbutrin first but had migraines with it.

1 More Repp

1 More Repp

Awards
Is there any science to back up what the contributing factor of weight gain is with the SSRI's? You would think with excessive levels constant it would still be calories in vs. calories out. Could it be cortisol? Or some link between fat storage and serotonin? I would be interested to see studies if anyone has...

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Zoloft can most certainly be causing this, but whether your body will adjust to it or not is something that you're just going to have to wait and see, unfortunately. There's many options depression/anxiety treatments, but it's also a huge pain to find one that really works for you and it's doubtful that you'll find one "perfect" one that has great efficacy and no sides. I would give it at least a few weeks and see where you're at before you jump onto another.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is there any science to back up what the contributing factor of weight gain is with the SSRI's? You would think with excessive levels constant it would still be calories in vs. calories out. Could it be cortisol? Or some link between fat storage and serotonin? I would be interested to see studies if anyone has...
Depends on the individual. For some it's that they're no longer depressed and actually start eating at a "normal" level. They can also affect metabolism. Or it can be a combination of both.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Zero negative side effects on 20mg Lexapro(generic equivalent). No weight gain, or libido issues. No anorgasmia past the first two weeks. Would have considered that a bonus.

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
Lol quit being self conscious and deal with it. Eventually you won't even care when the Zoloft starts correcting your chemical imbalance.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
I had the same issue on lexapro. But I had a underlying issue causing my downs and bloat. Over five years my test levels kept dropping and my estrogen went up. They kept saying its depression. And this is how I eneded up here. Listen to your body. Get bloods checked. Depression is a symptom of something else normally. The ssri works. But eventually you just kinda go through your days. If your depression is bad enough the drugs will get you back to a baseline. And thats when you need to push your doctor to find the reason you are down.

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
I had the same issue on lexapro. But I had a underlying issue causing my downs and bloat. Over five years my test levels kept dropping and my estrogen went up. They kept saying its depression. And this is how I eneded up here. Listen to your body. Get bloods checked. Depression is a symptom of something else normally. The ssri works. But eventually you just kinda go through your days. If your depression is bad enough the drugs will get you back to a baseline. And thats when you need to push your doctor to find the reason you are down.
Low serotonin/dopamine = depression. I played around with SSRI's and prolactin antagonizers like Prami. Studies show Prami raises dopamine and I felt good for a while actually.

twistedfords

Awards
  • Established
Yes I totally agree. But most doctors have no idea they just guess. So they say here is an antidepressant. To be honest I might not have ever really needed the ssri. It did level me out for a bit then its like I got used to it.

Now with getting my blood work done. I did this by myself. Because they wanted a fortune to get it done. So I ordered my testes every three months for a few years. Went in with all my information and they said I can't help you.

Then I found a dr. For hrt. And I won't go back. No ssri. No issues.