Smith Machine Behind Neck Press vs Dumbbell Press

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
which one do you guys like better ?

I remember my shoulders were bigger when I was doing behind neck presses but lately im doing the dumbbell press which is alrite....

If you do behind neck presses and not go lower than your ears then your rotator cuff wouldn't get messed up, try it

morry

morry

Awards
  • Established

I remember my shoulders were bigger when I was doing behind neck presses but lately im doing the dumbbell press which is alrite....

If you do behind neck presses and not go lower than your ears then your rotator cuff wouldn't get messed up, try it
I got big shoulders IMO, deadlift tho not presses. But to answer u, I prefer DB.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you shoulders come out ? like rounded and coming out ? I see people with big shoulders, but they shoulders aren't out ! Big shoulders but they are in, if you know what im saying

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OP, you start the most random threads requiring the most simple answers. What might make your shoulder huge may not work for the next guy, feel me? Maybe
switch it up man, one week do smith next dumb bell then barbell. I usually do behind the neck press at the end of my shoulder workout maybe twice a month.

morry

morry

Awards
  • Established
OP, you start the most random threads requiring the most simple answers. What might make your shoulder huge may not work for the next guy, feel me? Maybe
switch it up man, one week do smith next dumb bell then barbell. I usually do behind the neck press at the end of my shoulder workout maybe twice a month.
Bingo!

I do half cleans with a military press at the end of mine with 135 and a BB. Feels good. Superset those with one armed rows with the 100s and you got urself a killer circuit.

:)

Thanks for the compliment bro and no homo taken. I was trying to validate what I said. :)

You know, no pics....didn't happen....

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I prefer Benhind-the-neck BB Military Presses for size - since I have started doing there has been a huge difference to my rear deltoids re size and definition.

However, doing a variation of presses for the shoulders, including both barbell and dumbbell and smith machine (if applicable), front, arnold, and behind-the-neck, seated and standing, are the key to getting the best of everything, IMO.

Also, you can't say that not going lower than your ears with the behind-the-neck presses will not affect the rotator cuff, because you do not know everyone's body. Everyone is different and therefore are going to respond to this exercise differently - some people may be able to go as low as touching the barbell to the back of their neck/shoulders (I do) without ill-effects, and others may only be able to take the press down until their elbows are at 90-degree flexion (i.e. the barbell not even as low as their ears) until they are affected.

~Rosie~

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
I switch it up constantly (weekly).

Seated/Standing, behind/over with the smith and barbell and dumbell seated/standing, and machines every once in a while.

Keep 'em guessing.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I switch it up constantly (weekly).

Seated/Standing, behind/over with the smith and barbell and dumbell seated/standing, and machines every once in a while.

Keep 'em guessing.
Bingo

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So it's like sex, change the positions for the best

cop you look like you have big shoulders too

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Bingo!

I do half cleans with a military press at the end of mine with 135 and a BB. Feels good. Superset those with one armed rows with the 100s and you got urself a killer circuit.

:)

Thanks for the compliment bro and no homo taken. I was trying to validate what I said. :)

You know, no pics....didn't happen....
Your talking about the hang clean with a press at the end, thats a great exercise, those just about hit every part of your shoulder. I love those, by the time i get to my 3 rd set my shoulders look like bowling balls. I dont see to many people do those.

By the way to the original poster, the only thing the smith machine is good for is face pulls and something to put your towel on.

sociable1231

Awards
Do both, and switch it around.. However, be careful while you are doing behind the neck press. Improper form or poor posture/genetic makeup can really screw your shoulders

IronAndBeyond

Awards
Behind the neck do nothing but weaken my shoulder joints. I'm 6'5" and have a f*ckin long reach. Putting that pressure on my shoulders would destroy me. I don't even go that low (feel my tendons too stretched). D.bell press works wonders, so does B.bell at the front - but I need some support with that bar! Each to their own. Know your body and you'll do fine.