SkRaw85 Training Log

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bodyweight: 246.2 post poop this morning………… PR!!!!

Sick as all hell the past 2 days. Sinus/throat phlegm factory and breathing through a straw. Split between doing some at home blood flow or resting. Walking 100 feet sucks lol.

Appetite isn’t affected so that is a plus.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Bodyweight: 246.2 post poop this morning………… PR!!!!

Sick as all hell the past 2 days. Sinus/throat phlegm factory and breathing through a straw. Split between doing some at home blood flow or resting. Walking 100 feet sucks lol.

Appetite isn’t affected so that is a plus.
Also - same weight as me!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You aren’t going to get stronger from bloodflow work. So only do what feels decent. Like a short walk or some truly fluffy band things to aid mobility or flush something sore.

I saw 249.x the other morning! Meet you in the middle

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wife got the ickness now too. I lost my appetite Saturday and had to work as well, so I called off work Sunday and smashed calories because bench day today is more important than work yesterday. Glad this was a relatively fast sickness, still hampered a tad in the respiratory department but feeling waaaaay better. The wife is still down for the count though

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/25
W1D1
ME bench
BW: 243

Mini band warms

KB bottoms up press:
25x20 per arm

30° incline bench, 2 sec paused, comp grip:
45x10
135x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
335x1
355x1
375x1
385x1

OH plate raise:

CG OHP, straight bar:
45x10
95x10
135x10

Rope pressdowns:
120x15
140x15
150x10
160x10
170x10

DB hammer curls:
40’sX20x3 sets

This went much better than I anticipated, so that’s a win. Work capacity down post-sickness as I eliminate the remnants of gunk.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
3/25
W1D1
ME bench
BW: 243

Mini band warms

KB bottoms up press:
25x20 per arm

30° incline bench, 2 sec paused, comp grip:
45x10
135x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
335x1
355x1
375x1
385x1

OH plate raise:

CG OHP, straight bar:
45x10
95x10
135x10

Rope pressdowns:
120x15
140x15
150x10
160x10
170x10

DB hammer curls:
40’sX20x3 sets

This went much better than I anticipated, so that’s a win. Work capacity down post-sickness as I eliminate the remnants of gunk.
Great session especially with getting over a sickness!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What is your comp grip out of curiosity?
Used to be ring fingers on rings. I’ve moved it in (for raw) to pinkies on rings.

I go way wider (index on rings) when using any kind of bench tool (slingshots included) or bench shirt. Easier with the added elbow/shoulder protection and more mechanically sound with gear.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Used to be ring fingers on rings. I’ve moved it in (for raw) to pinkies on rings.

I go way wider (index on rings) when using any kind of bench tool (slingshots included) or bench shirt. Easier with the added elbow/shoulder protection and more mechanically sound with gear.
Maybe that's my problem... I grab a pinkys length in, fairly close grip I suppose

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Maybe that's my problem... I grab a pinkys length in, fairly close grip I suppose
Depends on your strengths. Jeremy Hoornstra benched his world records with a closer grip like that, and I think Julius Maddox does as well (at least given his enormous frame size).

That was the grip I took for a long time when I was in the 230s. I needed to get a thicker chest and back to be able to take advantage of a wider grip - it’s a shorter stroke, but it was still a lot less explosive (ie, weak) off the chest for me until I built that deficit up.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
that's 385 raw at incline, paused, while recovering from illness?
go easy on yourself sure man, but should you really be going THAT light right now? FML

That was the grip I took for a long time when I was in the 230s. I needed to get a thicker chest and back to be able to take advantage of a wider grip - it’s a shorter stroke, but it was still a lot less explosive (ie, weak) off the chest for me until I built that deficit up.
Play with it (at lighter loads). I personally like all joints lined up and stacked. Everyone has a sweet spot
since my training has been pure $hit lately with my work schedule I've noticed my grip has been moving around trying to find a sweet spot but as I put on that 20lbs last year it got wider and wider. I liked doing 2-3 super light sets at 95-135lbs at varied grip, working wider and wider. then if needed, bringing my grip in a little narrower as training weight got heavier.

5 years ago inclines and wide grip destroyed my shoulders in a poppy grindy hurty way. I think after spending 18 months really working both at light weights has helped my mobility a ton. I think both contributed to massive chest hypertrophy too, my knockers were able to compete with my wife's until she got that damn surgery (cheater)

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
that's 385 raw at incline, paused, while recovering from illness?
go easy on yourself sure man, but should you really be going THAT light right now? FML

since my training has been pure $hit lately with my work schedule I've noticed my grip has been moving around trying to find a sweet spot but as I put on that 20lbs last year it got wider and wider. I liked doing 2-3 super light sets at 95-135lbs at varied grip, working wider and wider. then if needed, bringing my grip in a little narrower as training weight got heavier.

5 years ago inclines and wide grip destroyed my shoulders in a poppy grindy hurty way. I think after spending 18 months really working both at light weights has helped my mobility a ton. I think both contributed to massive chest hypertrophy too, my knockers were able to compete with my wife's until she got that damn surgery (cheater)
*mostly recovered. Just some phlegm so breathing wasn’t all there.
Honestly, I was expecting to turn it off somewhere around 355 as I wasn’t feeling top notch. But then I got under the bar and everything was moving like grease, felt light, so kept going. Plus, I took off work the day before cuz I needed to bench 🤣

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
*mostly recovered. Just some phlegm so breathing wasn’t all there.
Honestly, I was expecting to turn it off somewhere around 355 as I wasn’t feeling top notch. But then I got under the bar and everything was moving like grease, felt light, so kept going. Plus, I took off work the day before cuz I needed to bench 🤣
A guy has to have priorities, you sir got them!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I will definitely be taking a day or two off before my contest, too many moving parts not to do so. Not quite the same thing but still.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/29
W1D3
RE

Mini band warmups

Close grip bench, power bar:
45x10
135x10
225x18,10

Neutral grip lat pull-down:
150x15
180x10,8
195x8

Low pulley underhand cable flys:
+100x15x3 sets

Light band hammer curls:
30x3 sets

Stir the pot:
2 mins total

Still building that gas tank back up

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
3/29
W1D3
RE

Mini band warmups

Close grip bench, power bar:
45x10
135x10
225x18,10

Neutral grip lat pull-down:
150x15
180x10,8
195x8

Low pulley underhand cable flys:
+100x15x3 sets

Light band hammer curls:
30x3 sets

Stir the pot:
2 mins total

Still building that gas tank back up
Nice session this the next progression after a deload? Just curious noticed the week 1 day 3.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Right, I need at least a couple reps at 185 in between there. Then again based off of your strength 225 is your 185 compared to my strength.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/2
W2D1
ME upper

Mini band warmups

PVC pipe activation bench

Flat bench, fat grip football bar, 2 sec pause, wide grips:
45x10
135x3
225x3
315x1
335x1
365x1 PR
385x1 PR
405x1 TnG PR

Seal rows, straight bar, snatch grip:
135x5
225x5x5 sets
275x5

Hammer Strength lat pullover:
+270x10
+320x10x3 sets

Rope hammer curls:
140x20
160x15,10,8,8

30 lb PR since late January on this bar/grip/pause pattern. Polished it off with a touch and go @ 405.
I 100% attribute it to ditching speed bench, replacing with repetition effort, and reverse grip bench. Bench has exploded since these changes.
Finally feels like I’m getting myself dialed in terms of training/recovery/nutrition/mental. Only took 30 years

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4/2
W2D1
ME upper

Mini band warmups

45x10
135x3
225x3
315x1
335x1
365x1 PR
385x1 PR
405x1 TnG PR

135x5
225x5x5 sets
275x5

+270x10
+320x10x3 sets

Rope hammer curls:
140x20
160x15,10,8,8

30 lb PR since late January on this bar/grip/pause pattern. Polished it off with a touch and go @ 405.
I 100% attribute it to ditching speed bench, replacing with repetition effort, and reverse grip bench. Bench has exploded since these changes.
Finally feels like I’m getting myself dialed in terms of training/recovery/nutrition/mental. Only took 30 years
Congrats!

Speed benching is less important for a raw lifter - I only use it close to a meet, because it actually makes me faster/more explosive in just 3-4 weeks, or when I want to take it easy on the second bench instance but help maintain skill.

Contextually, Lou would have guys do it who were already filled out & big enough for their weightclass, or more as recovery from ME day that would be dealing with higher top end loads that multiply lifters need to handle. DE was also a way to force his super heavies & 308s to do some kind of conditioning. He was a big fan of RE for secondary pressing when you intended to be adding size, things like 6x6, 8x8, even 10x10 work with variations like widegrip, and he had a strong raw bench for his weight from that volume. I know Panora said he never did speed work; he liked 5x5 most of the time on his secondary day at Westside.

A raw lifter needs more actual upper body muscle relative to their total bodyweight, and the absolute loads are lower, so just doing more work is generally more effective more often for us. Just having a bigger base & being more jacked.

“You should train as much as you can recover from.”

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Congrats!

Speed benching is less important for a raw lifter - I only use it close to a meet, because it actually makes me faster/more explosive in just 3-4 weeks, or when I want to take it easy on the second bench instance but help maintain skill.

Contextually, Lou would have guys do it who were already filled out & big enough for their weightclass, or more as recovery from ME day that would be dealing with higher top end loads that multiply lifters need to handle. DE was also a way to force his super heavies & 308s to do some kind of conditioning. He was a big fan of RE for secondary pressing when you intended to be adding size, things like 6x6, 8x8, even 10x10 work with variations like widegrip, and he had a strong raw bench for his weight from that volume. I know Panora said he never did speed work; he liked 5x5 most of the time on his secondary day at Westside.

A raw lifter needs more actual upper body muscle relative to their total bodyweight, and the absolute loads are lower, so just doing more work is generally more effective more often for us. Just having a bigger base & being more jacked.

“You should train as much as you can recover from.”
Thanks man! Things are feeling good!

I get that. It had its place for me when my bodyweight was steady. Driving weight up definitely fills the bill for RE. I’m a big fan of Panora, past few years he completely ditched speed work for bench. Bands for ME movements. Panora/Kolb methods feeling fuggin amazing for me right now.

Let’s see what that sleep test say. Any pointers?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man! Things are feeling good!

I get that. It had its place for me when my bodyweight was steady. Driving weight up definitely fills the bill for RE. I’m a big fan of Panora, past few years he completely ditched speed work for bench. Bands for ME movements. Panora/Kolb methods feeling fuggin amazing for me right now.

Let’s see what that sleep test say. Any pointers?
I’m going to try the reverse grip benching out tonight I think, with the talon grip. I need a way to train my triceps better so we’ll see if this is something I can use!

Hey proud of you for making the leap to do the sleep test.

Super simple. Download the app, turn on Bluetooth, put in your PIN when it’s time to go to bed. Put on the watch & pulse oximeter, remove the pull tab on it, hit the lights & press start.

When you are officially up for the morning, press Stop and then you will be asked to press Submit.

It’s okay if you get up to pee in the night or whatever. They recommend trying to get 6 hours of sleep. I spent 8 in bed, but probably got 4 hours of tossing and trying to sleep on my back when I wasn’t used to it - you should just sleep however you always do, no worries. It’s actually very sensitive and will definitely be able to detect events.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4/2
W2D1
ME upper

Mini band warmups

45x10
135x3
225x3
315x1
335x1
365x1 PR
385x1 PR
405x1 TnG PR

135x5
225x5x5 sets
275x5

+270x10
+320x10x3 sets

Rope hammer curls:
140x20
160x15,10,8,8

Congrats on the Bench PRs……very impressive work with wide grip and pause.💪

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
4/2
W2D1
ME upper

Mini band warmups

45x10
135x3
225x3
315x1
335x1
365x1 PR
385x1 PR
405x1 TnG PR

135x5
225x5x5 sets
275x5

+270x10
+320x10x3 sets

Rope hammer curls:
140x20
160x15,10,8,8

Hell yeah man!