Guest viewing limit reached
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Segansational's Motivation Log

when I was doing them a lot it was in that moment of desperation when I was just willing to try anything to fix my back. I do think they had some positive carryover, but Segs post above reminded me that in addition to the RDL's, the very high rack pulls I think helped a lot with progressive ROM. I don't know the science behind it but those rack pulls started out just lower than shrug height and improved over time. I just think that when I couldn't deadlift 135, but I could rack pull 385 it had a very positive long term carryover to give me that heavy stimulation even in partial rom.

Progressive Range of Motion (PROM) is how George Leeman pulled into the 800s, and many guys have used his program for it successfully. I think Terry Todd (RIP) is one of the earlier guys to popularize it.

Andrew Hause pulled 900 with it in a full meet where he already had set an all-time squat world record at 308 ☠️
 
I also just realized that now I have you squeezing your glutes tight thinking about me and i'm not sure how I feel about that. this one might have backfired.
I don't think I would have used the word backfired after all the talk about him squeezing his glutes while thinking of you. Just sayin!
when I was doing them a lot it was in that moment of desperation when I was just willing to try anything to fix my back. I do think they had some positive carryover, but Segs post above reminded me that in addition to the RDL's, the very high rack pulls I think helped a lot with progressive ROM. I don't know the science behind it but those rack pulls started out just lower than shrug height and improved over time. I just think that when I couldn't deadlift 135, but I could rack pull 385 it had a very positive long term carryover to give me that heavy stimulation even in partial rom.
I am sure of this, there is a lot of carry-over strengthening that happens beyond the portion of ROM. So it makes sense for sure.
 
I am sure of this, there is a lot of carry-over strengthening that happens beyond the portion of ROM. So it makes sense for sure.
I thought there was some sort of positive hormonal carryover when you over stimulate the body with a high weight, GH or something. I really can't remember exactly what it was, might even just be mental but I spent so much time stuck with very light weights during the injury that I had this feeling I needed heavy stimulus however I could get it and the end result was a positive! of course lots of things work out that way... you can't explain why it works, it just does and you know it does and 20 years later folks post studies on science that supports it lol.
 
Jumping back in here! It’s been too long!
Still looks like a great session even if you didn’t feel it was a strong day! I feel those shifts a lot! Crazy how one day you can feel that way and another day everything feels on point and ready to go!!

Glad to see you back on AM and posting! Someone's got to class up this joint.

Work travel has been ramping up lately, so was up early again yesterday for an all day meeting in NYC. Meant skipping the gym. Thankfully it was only cardio day!

Squat Day

Warm up routine.

RDLs:
Empty bar x 10
+20x9

BB Squats:


Warm ups,
45x10
95x8

Working sets,
115x5 - effed this up, was supposed to be 125# but apparently I can't read.
145x5
165x5 - a little shakier than I would've liked on these.

And that's all she wrote! No time for extra hypertrophy work today.

55:25, 152 cals.

Notes
My lower back - really more my spine - has not been feeling great since DLs so wasn't sure how I'd do coming into today's session. But I did the normal prehab and light RDL work to really warm everything up and get as limber as possible. My hamstrings were really tight this AM though.

Anyways, powered through with an OK session.

Will just mention again how grippy the soles of these shoes are, and I could see how this is definitely worth it particularly if one was doing sumo DLs. I am enjoying the solid base.
 
Glad to see you back on AM and posting! Someone's got to class up this joint.

Work travel has been ramping up lately, so was up early again yesterday for an all day meeting in NYC. Meant skipping the gym. Thankfully it was only cardio day!

My lower back - really more my spine - has not been feeling great since DLs so wasn't sure how I'd do coming into today's session. But I did the normal prehab and light RDL work to really warm everything up and get as limber as possible. My hamstrings were really tight this AM though.

Anyways, powered through with an OK session.

Will just mention again how grippy the soles of these shoes are, and I could see how this is definitely worth it particularly if one was doing sumo DLs. I am enjoying the solid base.

Haha Thanks! It’s good to be back!
I’m never sad about missing a cardio day!

I didn’t read far enough back to see what all you have going on but it sounds like you’re doing your best to listen to your body while pushing yourself as far as you can! That’s always hard!

I’ve been debating some new lifting shoes! I’ll have to look them up!
 
Haha Thanks! It’s good to be back!
I’m never sad about missing a cardio day!

I didn’t read far enough back to see what all you have going on but it sounds like you’re doing your best to listen to your body while pushing yourself as far as you can! That’s always hard!

I’ve been debating some new lifting shoes! I’ll have to look them up!
The TL;DR version is:

  • Started TRT to deal with energy / high fatigue issues.
  • Have been running RP Strength Hypertophy app since last Nov.
  • Switched gears in the past month to month and a half, to focus on the Big 3 lifts again for an upcoming charity PL style meet end of Oct.
 
The TL;DR version is:

  • Started TRT to deal with energy / high fatigue issues.
  • Have been running RP Strength Hypertophy app since last Nov.
  • Switched gears in the past month to month and a half, to focus on the Big 3 lifts again for an upcoming charity PL style meet end of Oct.

Nice! Thanks for the summary! That’s exciting about the PL meet!
 
Bench

Warm up routine.
Rotator cuff ex, resistance bands

Bench Press

45x10
95x8
115x5
130x5
150x5

Left shoulder joint felt a little unhappy on top set this AM.

Floor Press

45x10
65x10
85x10
95x10

Machine Flys
2 plates x 10
3 plates x 10

Just for a little extra measure did flys given I already did two pressing movements.

1 hr 3 mins, 196 cals.

Weight: 152.7#
BF: 23.6%

Pre: 2.5mg Y, 1 scoop Total War, 3 soft gels NuligoXT, 2 pumps L-carnitine gel, 1g Vit C, 1g Choline Citrate, 10g Collagen.
Intra: Same as usual.

Notes

Realized yesterday I ran out of omegas and am close to the end of my multi, so had to make a quick purchase (NOW brand).

Got a new phone, but man is it annoying to have to migrate and reconnect everything! Still working on it here on day 3, LOL.

Debating whether or not to purchase a singlet (from everything I can see people just wore gym clothes the past two years, will confirm) and if so, what is realistically the cheapest I can get away with - just given I'm unsure whether I'll "compete" again after this testing of the waters. Just purely whether or not I end up loving it. Also, don't really want to be the only guy who shows up in full gear and then lifts poverty weights

Edit: Reread and they recommend a singlet, but not required. Saw an EliteFTS 2T singlet is on closeout for $25 ($15 shipping) so might just snag that.
 
Last edited:
I don't know that you will find a quality one for a better price, that seems cheaper than I paid in 2018.
 
I still have full battle rattle from my BMX days tucked away in a drawer. we're talking the full motocross padded pants with velcro ankles, jersey, etc circa 1995-1998. I can't get myself to part with it.
 
I don't know that you will find a quality one for a better price, that seems cheaper than I paid in 2018.
Yeah, it actually seems like a great price even comparing when I look on some of these clothes resale sites.

OK, could use some help from those who've competed:

  • Schedule is a little wonky right now and I'm finishing up Week 7 of this prep.
  • Monday I will hit my rx'd DLs.

  • Then I could hit my first of my peak week 5/3/1 day on Wed (Squats).
  • I'm traveling to Yellowstone Thurs-Mon so no lifting at all, plenty of hiking though!
I return and can finish up 5/3/1 probably taking bench on Wed, DLs on Fri.
  • Then I'm supposed to go into a taper / deload at 5s x 40%, 50%, 60% (all 3 lifts per session)
  • And finally the week leading up to the meet it has me only doing anything light touch Monday, nothing again until meet on Sat.

Would you / how would you modify?
My biggest concern is that even on my top sets I'm not hitting my "test" 1RM before heading into the meet - really only topping out at my 1s set next week - likely my openers.
 
@Hyde will chime in but wouldn’t worry to much about your test weights before the meet. If you are hitting your openers with easy you are in a good spot. Getting your 1rm test is good for confidence but really doesn't make or break the meet. Bench I take 7 to 10 days out and recover on time. Squats and deads you can do maybe around 13 days out.
 
@Hyde will chime in but wouldn’t worry to much about your test weights before the meet. If you are hitting your openers with easy you are in a good spot. Getting your 1rm test is good for confidence but really doesn't make or break the meet. Bench I take 7 to 10 days out and recover on time. Squats and deads you can do maybe around 13 days out.
Thanks, yeah I guess the thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around is coming into this prep - being "cold" / unpracticed on a lot of these lifts I hit 205x1 on squats and 195x1 on bench. But I'm still not getting anywhere close to touching those during my planned peak week - rx'd weights are 185x1+ and 165x1+.

I mean, I guess best case scenario I strive for those as my 2nd or 3rd attempts on meet day?

In any case, it's official! Signed up yesterday for my spot, so it's happening! Purchased that EliteFTS singlet too. So I'm fully committed now.
 
You will want to get an opener on the books but I wouldn’t sweat obsessing what your 2nd and 3rd lifts are going to be . Do what feels right when you are there. Adrenaline is going to add something, the suit/shirt etc is going to add some. You will have a good idea on your opener from hitting some heavy singles and doubles in training with equipment I suspect .
 
Thanks, yeah I guess the thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around is coming into this prep - being "cold" / unpracticed on a lot of these lifts I hit 205x1 on squats and 195x1 on bench. But I'm still not getting anywhere close to touching those during my planned peak week - rx'd weights are 185x1+ and 165x1+.

I mean, I guess best case scenario I strive for those as my 2nd or 3rd attempts on meet day?

In any case, it's official! Signed up yesterday for my spot, so it's happening! Purchased that EliteFTS singlet too. So I'm fully committed now.
Good way to get practice is maybe 10 sets or so for 1 rep with maybe some where between opener and 1st attempt. Typically my jumps at meets will be 5 to 7% depending on the day I am having. From opener to 2nd is usually closer to 7%. If there is time left, try and get some good sets in 86 to 90% of your goal, give you. If less than 10 would aim lower on %s.
 
Deadlift Day

Warm up routine.

RDLs:
Empty bar x 10
+20x10

Deadlifts

Warm ups,
45x10
65x8
Working sets,
95x5 - messed up, should have been 100#
115x5
135x5 - bumped to 135# vs rx'd 130# for better practice.

Left elbow was giving me trouble this AM. Didn't push past this AM just to ensure I didn't reaggravate anything.

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns:
3 plates x 10
4 plates x 10
5 plates x 8

Dead Hangs, 2x10 sec.

Stretching to finish.

1 hr, 172 cals.

Pre: 3/4 scoop Notorious Rage, 3 soft gels NuligoXT, 2 pumps L-carnitine gel, 1g Choline Citrate, 1g Vit C, 10g Collagen.
Intra: Same as usual.

Notes
Today went well as I expected to have some lower back issues given how off I felt all weekend. But keeping things limber and also just very moderate/light this AM I think helped a lot. TBH the biggest focus for me right now just needs to be showing up day of healthy to get my best performance in.

One more weight workout this week before we head out to Yellowstone! Cheers fellas (and lady! ).
 
Deadlift Day

Warm up routine.

RDLs:
Empty bar x 10
+20x10

Deadlifts
Warm ups,
45x10
65x8
Working sets,
95x5 - messed up, should have been 100#
115x5
135x5 - bumped to 135# vs rx'd 130# for better practice.

Left elbow was giving me trouble this AM. Didn't push past this AM just to ensure I didn't reaggravate anything.

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns:
3 plates x 10
4 plates x 10
5 plates x 8

Dead Hangs, 2x10 sec.

Stretching to finish.

1 hr, 172 cals.

Pre: 3/4 scoop Notorious Rage, 3 soft gels NuligoXT, 2 pumps L-carnitine gel, 1g Choline Citrate, 1g Vit C, 10g Collagen.
Intra: Same as usual.

Notes
Today went well as I expected to have some lower back issues given how off I felt all weekend. But keeping things limber and also just very moderate/light this AM I think helped a lot. TBH the biggest focus for me right now just needs to be showing up day of healthy to get my best performance in.

One more weight workout this week before we head out to Yellowstone! Cheers fellas (and lady! ).
Got the work in still! Yeah it takes me a fair amount of warmups with bands doing face pulls and I do lat raises and front raises and some overhead tricep extensions and all to get everything going every workout.

Excited for you and the fam for this trip! Should be nice and fall weather!
 
In any case, it's official! Signed up yesterday for my spot, so it's happening! Purchased that EliteFTS singlet too. So I'm fully committed now.
right on! does that shift the mentality a bit to be more intentional/focused?

Typically my jumps at meets will be 5 to 7% depending on the day I am having.
I always have 7% in my head now days from what you and Hyde have said and it sure seems like about the right number for me when chasing singles. I know my 531 app sometimes has bigger jumps along the way but those are typically just warmup sets.

Left elbow was giving me trouble this AM. Didn't push past this AM just to ensure I didn't reaggravate anything.

my elbow does that everytime I get serious about squats, it comes and goes. always the left one, too. I think getting in a few sets of db or bb curls here and there at light weight tends to help my elbows a lot. I always sit there and curl an empty barbell in the squat rack (LOL) before I squat, bench, or pull, but then on days when I have time I'll throw in more reps after all the hard work is done.
 
Got the work in still! Yeah it takes me a fair amount of warmups with bands doing face pulls and I do lat raises and front raises and some overhead tricep extensions and all to get everything going every workout.

Excited for you and the fam for this trip! Should be nice and fall weather!

Thanks! Definitely looking forward to it. It's also so completely different from the type of trips we've done with the kids so far.

Hope you guys have a great trip…..hey, you might get to see a Grizzly….have fun.

As long as it's a football field's distance away I'll be OK with that!

right on! does that shift the mentality a bit to be more intentional/focused?


I always have 7% in my head now days from what you and Hyde have said and it sure seems like about the right number for me when chasing singles. I know my 531 app sometimes has bigger jumps along the way but those are typically just warmup sets.

I thought it would, or at least get me more excited? But no, no real change. Unfortunately, I think I'm in my head a little too much these days. Plus, I don't really have a support system for these type of endeavors outside of you all in here. Even my family cares very little/not at all about this or coming to support me, but it'd also be hard to focus the kids for 3-5 hrs, so I get that aspect too. So, it might just be me flying solo on this first expedition!

Re: lift attempts, 7% seems totally reasonable (~10# give or take on these lifts). I think I know my limits on bench, it's more squat attempts and deads I'll have to play a bit by ear, as I feel like I'm going in with some very conservative openers. But it just depends on whether or not I feel up to taking >20# or more jumps on the day of.

Realistically (yes I heard you all say to not get caught up on the numbers, but I'm a planner) I'd love to open squats at 165 - a number I know I should be able to hit any day - and then progress to 225, but I think the middle jump of 30# is probably too aggressive. Realistically I'll probably set my sights closer to 165, 185, 205# - that's in my head as "reasonable" at least, knowing I have two other lifts ahead.
 
tbh I never really cared to have people attend when I was competing unless they too, were competing. I think we had friends show up one time and it was nice to show off for them a bit, but most of my events were basically all day events so I never wanted to make them sit through 100 other competitors etc and I also didn't want to feel like I had to entertain them when I should be mentally focusing on my next event, if that makes sense? Now when we were in a competitive box that did events all the time and went after regionals, it was usually a group of us that would go compete together (kinda like Hyde and his wife) so inbetween our own events, we were cheering them on and it kept the mojo and hype going strong.


Realistically (yes I heard you all say to not get caught up on the numbers, but I'm a planner) I'd love to open squats at 165 - a number I know I should be able to hit any day - and then progress to 225, but I think the middle jump of 30# is probably too aggressive. Realistically I'll probably set my sights closer to 165, 185, 205# - that's in my head as "reasonable" at least, knowing I have two other lifts ahead.
I'd stick with whatever dapack and hyde say. its been over 10 years for me but I know in my head the first lift was very important just to get on the board, so I would often go a bit lighter than necessary, and the last lift was usually a PR attempt. People will know its a PR attempt and whether you are lifting 95lbs or 950lbs they'll recognize the relative difficulty, the effort you are giving it, and they will cheer you on because the best part about watching athletic endeavors isn't so much a human breaking the records of all of humanity, as much as it is watching a human break their own personal records and drive themselves to new heights.
 
I don't have tons of recommendations, sounds like you have a decent plan on the 165, 185, 205 as a skeleton plan. If 165 flies, consider the 30lb jump, and if that flies you pick from there. If you do have one particular lift you want to focus on then push the efforts there. IE if you decide bench is your big all in for the meet then be a little less aggressive on the Squat to save some for the bench. Outside of that, you are really just going for the white lights. You will probably do best just having an idea for your 3 attempts and going off of how everything feels that day.
 
Squat Day - 5/3/1

Warm up routine.

RDLs,
Empty bar x 10
+20x10,8

Squats:


Warm ups, resistance band pullaparts prior to each set.
45x10
95x8
115x6 - belted here on out.

Working sets, knee sleeves from here:
145x5 - easy
165x3 - easy
185x3 - was rx'd 1+ here and hit 3, a bit shaky on descents so I think somewhere between 165-175# for my opener may be right.

195x1

Given this was technically my Squat "peak" I wanted to test repping 195# to get the feel for it, just so I went in confident I could call it.

Seated leg extensions:
3 plates x 8,8

Was spent after this bit of hypertrophy work on top of everything else. Sweat a lot this AM.

1 hr 4 mins, 255 cals.

Pre: 3/4 scoop Notorious Rage, 3 soft gels NuligoXT, 1g Choline Citrate, 1g Vit C, 10g Collagen, 2 pumps L-carnitine gel.
Intra: Same as usual.

Notes
Question:
How much time do they usually give you between weight attempts? Meaning, do you go for all 3 attempts in a row? Or is it everyone attempts their first called weight, then moves to second for all?

Felt good this morning! Attempts went smoothly. Given this, my opening attempt may start higher as 165x3 felt easy, and I know I'll be fresh. As I've mentioned, of all my lifts I feel most confident that I can hit Squats even at "heavier" weights, so I'm deciding how much I want to invest upfront - or whether to be more tempered with 2 other major lifts on deck. Guess we'll see.

Good thing I work out at home! Started off in pants, but in order to put on my knee sleeves and the fact I was hot, I stripped down to boxer briefs to lift Decided not to post that video to save you from all that!

No workouts for the next 5 days. Will just be enjoying life and nature!
 
Most of the time I think the standard is that an opener should be something you can do for 3 reps. Seeing this I would likely opt for 175ish, or plan to do the full jump from 165 to 195 and treat that opener as another warm up set. I am sure @Hyde will weigh in once he gets back from vacation.
 
Back
Top