Segansational's Motivation Log

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And, not trying to be a fatty, did 30 mins on the bike, 171 cals just now. Been feeling good with eating clean since home: Siggis greek yogurt with granola, whey, tuna with brown rice, Mediterranean chicken bowls (rice, veggies, hummus, fage), nut butters when I need something sweet to satisfy a night craving.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Arms.

Side Planks x10,5,3

GVT Supersets:
CG BP 115x6,6,6,6,6,6,7,6,6,6 - too easy.
BB curls 70x6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6

DB laterals 25x10,10
DB reverse flys 25x10,10

1 hr, 154 cals.

Pre: 1/2 scoop Zeus, 2g Peak02, 1 cap Eradicate-E, 2 caps Recovery Fix
Intra: 1 scoop EAA Flexx, 1 scoop Versalyte, 1 scoop Tango, 6g taurine, 1/2 scoop Cluster Bomb
Soundtrack: 90s Hip Hop, Spotify

Motivation is a little low the past few days. Been finding it harder to get up in the morning. I have found before that this time of year, usually coming around the Arnold, is when I seem to fall off a little. Wish I could've gone! Dental procedure this morning...

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Motivation is a little low the past few days. Been finding it harder to get up in the morning. I have found before that this time of year, usually coming around the Arnold, is when I seem to fall off a little. Wish I could've gone! Dental procedure this morning...
it's a little rough this time of year as we finally start to get early mornings, we're at the tail end of it except daylight savings is coming up... prolonging dark mornings but at least evenings are going to be awesome for those of us in daylight savings regions...

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
it's a little rough this time of year as we finally start to get early mornings, we're at the tail end of it except daylight savings is coming up... prolonging dark mornings but at least evenings are going to be awesome for those of us in daylight savings regions...
This effects my wife but it never seemed to bother me ???

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Man you must be like my buddy Sean who loves the cold dark.
my wife always told me she could never be a snowbird cause she wants to be here when there are grandbabies and what not but the last few years she's begging me to figure out how we can snowbird more lol. I'm like sign me up! Arizona every winter!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That might be it. Also, I just missed out on the Arnold when I thought I'd be able to go, so thinking that has me down a bit. That plus work stress.
I must have a touch of that S.A.D.
Hope the procedure goes well for you!
Thanks, was probably the easiest dentist visit I've ever had. Was in and out faster than I usually am for a normal cleaning. He basically pushed on it twice and it was out. No real pain to speak of either, knock on wood. Didn't have to take any NSAIDs even. Will keep it still light on the eating/chewing on that side, but hopefully back to normal by tomorrow.

Back on the bike for some cardio this morning after a set of Bird Dogs. Going to try to get two sessions in this week with coach as we missed last weekend.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another coached session in the books. Chest. I asked to do a little bench work, so here it was:

Incline Chest Press Machine
4 sets, worked up to 90# per side

Seated machine flys:
4 sets, worked up to 110# ? I think.

Bench Press:
Warm up 135x8
185 x 2 assisted reps maybe?
Was dissappointed. Assessment was that it's lock out that's my bigger issue, so we worked on partials.

Dropped weight to 155# and kept dropping down until working with only the bar. Mix of partial reps for lift off, then partial top reps, then some negatives.

Cable chest press, free motion:
3 sets to failure

Medicine ball push ups x 2 reps. This was all I could muster based on exhaustion and stability.

Workout was fast, little rest. Outer chest definitely felt worked/pumped. Middle back was actually a little unhappy post-bench. Odd back issue, likely due to my arch.

~46 mins, 252 cals.

Pre: 1 scoop Zeus, 2 caps Recovery Fix, 3 caps 3-AD (112.5 mg). Will be using at this dose for the next week to finish out the bottle.
Intra: Same as last WO.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weird, so to see how you bench he pre-exhausted you with Seated Machine Press, Flyes and a relatively heavy warm up set of 8? I assume his focus was hypertrophy and not seeing how you would bench for strength. Still sounds like an effective session just not what I would have done if trying to see how you bench press.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weird, so to see how you bench he pre-exhausted you with Seated Machine Press, Flyes and a relatively heavy warm up set of 8? I assume his focus was hypertrophy and not seeing how you would bench for strength. Still sounds like an effective session just not what I would have done if trying to see how you bench press.
I wasn’t going to say anything, but that’s definitely an inefficient way to test a maximal benchpress. A little warmup, then lots of low rep warmup sets on bench. So maybe some very light pec and rear delt flyes, then a couple sets of 5 with the bar, then triples at 75, 105, 135, 155-165, etc.

Then you would do all the hypertrophy work. I mean if you actually want to know where you are at, training chest hard prior is going to burn that gas up.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wasn’t going to say anything, but that’s definitely an inefficient way to test a maximal benchpress. A little warmup, then lots of low rep warmup sets on bench. So maybe some very light pec and rear delt flyes, then a couple sets of 5 with the bar, then triples at 75, 105, 135, 155-165, etc.

Then you would do all the hypertrophy work. I mean if you actually want to know where you are at, training chest hard prior is going to burn that gas up.
Yeah, I guess my only comments in defense are that he sort of does whatever I ask him to do. Meaning, I said I wanted to do some benching. So we did some, but that prob wasn't really in his plan for me today. But I also know that he personally does not favor that movement. So, similar to last session, had I not said anything I don't think we would've done any flat benching at all.

But agree, for testing strength, outside of a warm up (maybe one exercise) that this set up was not optimal and probably why I did so poorly.

But, it's also clear from my training sessions to date and the GVT training workouts, that he favors high rep/high volume exhaustion sets.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Shoulders.

Seated shoulder press machine:
Per side
25x12
35x10
45x10
55x9
65x5

Seated lateral machine, 3 sets x 10
Free motion cables front raises, 3 sets x 10

Plate loaded machine shrugs:
2 sets x 45, 90# - alternating to back and front

Reverse fly machine, 3 sets x 10 reps, increasing weights
Cable upright rows, 3 sets x 10-15 reps increasing weights

41:18, 162 cals.
Quick in and out of the gym this afternoon.

Pre: 1 scoop All Out Sweat, 1/2 scoop Peak02, 75 mg 3-AD
Intra: Same as usual

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Time change has really hit me like a ton of bricks. Haven't been able to get up in the morning for my workouts. Squeezing in quick sessions where I can.

Yesterday, 30 mins bike.
Last evening, hip stretches (yoga).
Today, quick back WO.

Lat pulldowns:
7 plates x10
8 plates x10
9 plates x10

Bent over BB rows:
95x10,10,10

Neutral grip pullups to failure x8,6,5

Foam rolling to finish. In and out in close to 20 mins.

Kids have been having trouble sleeping through the night. Work is keeping me busy. Could really use a vacation, but don't see one in sight. Trying to keep my stress levels under control.

Pre: 1 scoop Zeus, 2g Peak02
Intra: 1/2 bottle G fit, 6g taurine, 5g glutamine

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This time change has been the hardest one I remember. Maybe because there is still 2 feet of snow everywhere and cold I don’t know but it’s been kicking my ass in the morning as well.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yesterday got in another 30 mins cardio session.
Today is GVT legs... actually woke myself up this morning. Took 3 alarms, but dragged my @ss out of bed at 5:30 AM.

BB squats:
95x12
165x10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,
A little twinge on my right lower side at end of set 5. Almost bailed mid-set 8, just felt very taxed here, but pushed through it.
Banded pull aparts before every set.

Superset with:

DB hamstring curl:
5# x10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,
Yep, the little color DBs! Don't laugh. My coach taught me this movement on a simple incline bench with DB between my feet. It really does target the muscle well.

Stretching/foam rolling.

Knee raises 3x10, just for something different.

55:35, 212 cals.

Didn't feel all that strong today. Hit 8 sets. Wondering if I could use a bit of a deload from all the volume. It's been about 6 weeks or so being on GVT and with my coach (6 days/wk weights or cardio)...

Ran out of Recovey Fix, might want to reup on that one and grab some CardioXT.

Pre: 1 scoop Zeus, 2g Peak02, 2 caps 3-AD, 5g glutamine. Today will be my last dose of 3-AD. Debating riding out 4-andro TD through the weekend, but either way I'll be switching to PCT next week.
Intra: 1 scoop Flexx EAAs, 1 scoop Versalyte, 1 scoop Tango, 1/2 scoop Cluster Bomb, 6g taurine.

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If your joints are holding up then keep going through the process. You have to build into where it is over reaching to get the supercompensation during the deload and deconditioned training during the start of your next training cycle.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Holy volume!! Keepin at it though
Haha, thanks. That wasn't even all 10 sets either!

My everything hurts just reading that
My quads felt pretty on fire after that session, and I'm kinda feeling it this evening too. So tomorrow should be fun.

But it's a good kind of hurt !!
5hsg9b.jpeg

If your joints are holding up then keep going through the process. You have to build into where it is over reaching to get the supercompensation during the deload and deconditioned training during the start of your next training cycle.
Yeah, I honestly find that by set 5-6 I feel taxed. But I usually can push it to 8-9 sets, sometimes all 10 before stopping. So definitely forcing adaptation.

Burning those reps to the ground!
Burn baby burn!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great workout !!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Coached session this afternoon for an arm workout. Prob ~45-50 mins, lots of volume to failure/burn out sets.

Free motion cable curls:
5 plates x 12
6 plates x 10
7 plates x 10
8 plates x 10

Free motion seated overhead triceps ext:
3 sets of 10, ascending weights

Close grip TRX biceps curls x 12,10,10

100 rep challenge:
45#, reps to 100. Goal is to never put the barbell down. Got to about 50 or so reps and then it was a huge burn, by the last 20 reps I could barely grip the BB.

Yes, he had me curling in the squat rack!

Single arm DB lying triceps ext
10x12
15x10,10

Assisted dips to failure:
+110# - hit about 23 or so reps, lost count for remainder of the sets.
+140#
+160#

Pre: 1 scoop Total War, 5g glutamine
Intra: 1 scoop True Athlete Endurance formula (aminos + 1g Peak02, got this on clearance at VS for ~$9), 1 scoop Versalyte, 1 scoop Tango, 6g taurine.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Coached session this afternoon for an arm workout. Prob ~45-50 mins, lots of volume to failure/burn out sets.

Free motion cable curls:
5 plates x 12
6 plates x 10
7 plates x 10
8 plates x 10

Free motion seated overhead triceps ext:
3 sets of 10, ascending weights

Close grip TRX biceps curls x 12,10,10

100 rep challenge:
45#, reps to 100. Goal is to never put the barbell down. Got to about 50 or so reps and then it was a huge burn, by the last 20 reps I could barely grip the BB.

Yes, he had me curling in the squat rack!

Single arm DB lying triceps ext
10x12
15x10,10

Assisted dips to failure:
+110# - hit about 23 or so reps, lost count for remainder of the sets.
+140#
+160#

Pre: 1 scoop Total War, 5g glutamine
Intra: 1 scoop True Athlete Endurance formula (aminos + 1g Peak02, got this on clearance at VS for ~$9), 1 scoop Versalyte, 1 scoop Tango, 6g taurine.
I would have been on the floor dying 😂

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks like a lot of work, but fun............it hurts so good

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OK, long post incoming, lots to catch up on. And need a little advice:

1. Body has definitely been feeling beat up lately between GVT/weekly high vol training sessions with my coach, and finishing up my cycle. Thinking about taking a deload week to recover.

Asked my coach and he said, if I were to deload he'd recommend going cardio only/stretching, no weights. You guys know me, my first inclination is "no way." Also, going into PCT I want to keep intensity up and push cals as BW will start to drop. That said, I'm paying him to recommend what I should do. Perhaps I will come back stronger off a true deload. What do you guys think?

2. Do you guys like nut butters?? ::insert joke here:: but for real, I just got picked up as a new ambassador for American Dream Nut Butter (ADNB). If you guys have a sweet tooth like me, this is for you. I seriously have no less than 4 tubs on hand at all times. Peanut butters, almond butters, and cashew butters. Tend to be higher protein, no artificial sweeteners. Here's an example of the seasonal release:

Anyways, if you want to help a brother out use my link below, code ANDREW441 to save 10%.

3. Last few updates.
- Shoulder stretching, yoga stretches last night.
- Cardio this AM, bike, ~25 mins, 210 cals.
- Supplements are swapping out, lots of BLR/CEL/SNS are next up for me. M-Test, LiverXT, Inhibit E.
3.jpeg

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think if you are paying the guy you listen. You are working for hypertrophy and I assume he is pushing you to overload, then overcompensate during your deload. Since you are not trying to preserve strength / neural response like a powerlifter so taking the whole week off to decondition allows you to focus more energy towards the supercompensation process. Then allows you to grow more off of lower weights when you go back. It is one of the major parts of the HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) and is an effective method for hypertrophy. Assuming he has you keep your calories up to actually grow during the deload.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I took that week off for vacation in Feb and came back and PR'd both bench press and deadlift like 1 week later. aside from walking a lot on vacation I only had one gym day at a local dirt floor facility with locals (this was a poor village in mexico) and the heaviest thing I did was 275lb RDL's, some curls, some declines. just screwing off attempting to get a little pump and move blood but it was very low out put.

long story short I don't think your coaches advice is going to set you back at all. if he has to pry you away from the gym for a week maybe it's a good thing, you'll come back recovered and mentally ready to destroy the gym.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think if you are paying the guy you listen. You are working for hypertrophy and I assume he is pushing you to overload, then overcompensate during your deload. Since you are not trying to preserve strength / neural response like a powerlifter so taking the whole week off to decondition allows you to focus more energy towards the supercompensation process. Then allows you to grow more off of lower weights when you go back. It is one of the major parts of the HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) and is an effective method for hypertrophy. Assuming he has you keep your calories up to actually grow during the deload.
Will def push cals / eating during this week. Time to eat!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks fellas for the common sense feedback. Will take it light and easy as recommended this week. Reality is, it'll end up being probably 5-6 days max anyways, as I'll be training with him again on the weekend.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you can always jump on the treadmill for some LISS and watch some generation iron or old school pumping iron during your gym sessions if you're going to do cardio anyways ;)

if it were me, I'd go play poker or just chill and relax everything for a few days. then come back and destroy it all over again lol

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
you can always jump on the treadmill for some LISS and watch some generation iron or old school pumping iron during your gym sessions if you're going to do cardio anyways ;)

if it were me, I'd go play poker or just chill and relax everything for a few days. then come back and destroy it all over again lol
5 days out of the gym will have you feeling much more refreshed when you get back to training next weekend.
Hope you guys are right! I just feel lazy when I'm not in the gym, haha. But, today is a total rest day. Got the extra zzz's this morning. Adding in some extra cals via shakes, may bust out the MCT oil again too. Right now it's just PB and banana.

Had some good greek yogurt, nuts, berries parfait yesterday, along with some avocados for healthy fats.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
1. Body has definitely been feeling beat up lately between GVT/weekly high vol training sessions with my coach, and finishing up my cycle. Thinking about taking a deload week to recover.
Hope you guys are right! I just feel lazy when I'm not in the gym, haha. But, today is a total rest day. Got the extra zzz's this morning. Adding in some extra cals via shakes, may bust out the MCT oil again too. Right now it's just PB and banana.
I mean it does sound like your body has been giving you the cues for a deload already right?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I mean it does sound like your body has been giving you the cues for a deload already right?
From what he has said it sure does.

Just remember you are not doing nothing. I would still take a daily walk because it is good for your soul and will help with digestion. Secondly, you are to eat like you are trying to grow this week. Protein every 4 hours while waking, caloric surplus, the whole 9 yards. Do it with the intent of growing and recovering while you rest.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Got a new batch of supplements, this time from G Code Nutrition, plus some really cool swag. The bag is like a rugged laptop/messenger back with tons of compartments. Probably will start using this as my gym bag.

And not that I really need any more pre-workouts, but I just hopped on the @Olympus Labs Rep Oracle deal from Strong as well @Afi140 @LeanEngineer so we'll see how that treats me!

20230321_205835.jpg

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Gotta love new swag.
it was really hard to give my boy the cool backpack redcon gave me last december lol but he loves it
Premium bags are definitely key swag. It's like a nice jacket. I don't really need another one, but every time I go into a store that's what I gravitate towards. These backpacks/rucksacks are the same way!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And not that I really need any more pre-workouts, but I just hopped on the @Olympus Labs Rep Oracle deal from Strong as well @Afi140 @LeanEngineer so we'll see how that treats me!
Glad you took advantage of the intro sale! (Hard not to in my opinion at 40% off!) Excited to hear your thoughts!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glad you took advantage of the intro sale! (Hard not to in my opinion at 40% off!) Excited to hear your thoughts!
I am thinking about it just not huge on proprietary blends. How much longer is that sale? I see it says 72 hours but when did it start?

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am thinking about it just not huge on proprietary blends. How much longer is that sale? I see it says 72 hours but when did it start?
Yeah, I hear you there. A little dissappointing, but decided to give them the support anyways. They tried to do both (protect and be open) with the caffeine transparency. Looks like the sale ends tonight.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I hear you there. A little dissappointing, but decided to give them the support anyways. They tried to do both (protect and be open) with the caffeine transparency. Looks like the sale ends tonight.
I haven't really had any of their products since I stopped repping for them probably 6 years ago. So I have no idea what their quality has been lately. Have you had much from them recently? I have no reason to think it would be bad other than not liking prop blends too much. That and it drives me nuts when people use the word immaculate wrong like they do in the immaculate matrix. I am like is it clean, like really really tidy or did you meant to use another word here? LMAO Seems that word has been adopted to mean other things besides really clean. Which leads me to the next question. "What IS a woman?"

Sorry couldn't resist.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Unfortunately it ended about an hour and a half ago but even without the sale I personally would pick up a tub to try it out. I know there will be a lot of feedback on the forums on it here shortly after folks try it out as well.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Whew. Full deload week done! Stuck with light cardio/ab work only. Focused on eating! Added back in some additional cals pre-bed. Excited to be back in the home gym today and decided to just do whatever I wanted.

So, basically did this for my chest workout this afternoon. Modified a little with weights/rep scheme.

Rotator cuff ex x 12/10, 13-15 reps
Pec deck, 2 plates: 3x10 - just to warm up and get a squeeze.

Bench press:
95x10
135x5
155x3
175x3
185x0

Seated Machine Press:
8 plates x 10
9 plates x 10
10 plates x 10
11 plates x 8

Floor presses:
135x8,6,6

~50 mins, fitbit paused about half way through my WO.

Think the deload actually did me some good. My shoulder joints weren't clicking today like they normally do on warm ups.

Pre: 1 scoop G Code Nutrition Vice XXX Baja Blast, 5g glutamine. Flavor is tart, maybe blueberry/pomegranate with a hint of pineapple?
Intra: G Code Juice Macho Mango. This is a comprehensive intra-WO with Carb10 (15g), EAAs, creatine, and electrolytes. Pretty much the type of concoction I usually mix up at home, but already done for me.