RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You and me both!

Anyone use/have opinions on the Slingshot / Widomaker? Just wondering if this might help me with getting more adjusted to heavier weights while I'm trying to get back into the groove of bench pressing and progressing towards my new goal.
I think the slingshot could assist with this, but so could reverse bands. I gave my slingshot away due to lack of use, but I was also going through a period of bench pain then.

Interested in your choice of programming. I am close to considering a new path as well.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You and me both!

Anyone use/have opinions on the Slingshot / Widomaker? Just wondering if this might help me with getting more adjusted to heavier weights while I'm trying to get back into the groove of bench pressing and progressing towards my new goal.
I think anyone who has benchend ~185+ for a 1RM could probably benefit from a Reactive Slingshot (blue) incorporated intelligently.

185 isn’t gospel, but I arbitrarily chose that because if someone has never benched that yet they probably are lacking enough in technique or just foundational work benching that it could be more dangerous, and definitely not necessary yet.

The Red or Yellow is really more for someone maxing at least in the mid 200s. Black I wouldn’t mess with unless you can bench 300s.

I haven’t used the Widowmaker, but I can tell you it has that name for a reason likely.

Also debating what program to run next:

Do I just go back to 5/3/1? 5x5?
Smolov Jr?
Block periodization?
Daily undulating periodization?

Too many choices.
Smolov Jr is a very specific, short-sighted program. Someone who should actually be doing it would never have to ask, because it’s a last resort. It’s not for 95% of the people who unwittingly subject themselves to that kind of mileage.

Having an overall phasic structure to your training for the annual plan is great, I would even say necessary the more advanced a lifter becomes, but block training is about ideological shifts in the training at different times working towards a big picture. Deloading/conditioning/GPP, then hypertrophy, then strength, then either peaking or maybe back to hypertrophy. And mesocyles of work within the blocks typically, but what you find is you’re going to lose some adaption between blocks (you aren’t going to retain all of your new 5x5 squat strength through 8 weeks of bodybuilding work, for example, but it will still help you lift heavier weights when bodybuilding).

DUP is for someone very knowledgeable about training, very in tune with their body, willing to push very hard even when they’re getting torn down, and working with a coach who’s hopefully even more skilled who can objectively assess them as they go. Details matter a lot.

5x5 can be a great primer to get your strength base re-established, then in a couple months you could roll it into a 5/3/1 with any number of his templates from 5/3/1 Forever depending on needs.

Or if you want hypertrophy focus, you could do any number of bodybuilding programs. I’m not even going to try to suggest any. If you want bodybuilding, you’ll find something juicy easily enough.

Man I have to learn to summarize.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You and me both!

I have one I have not used in awhile, I find it helps me to press more with my chest and take some of the load off my shoulders.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You definitely do not want the widowmaker. Mine came, it is thickkkkkkkk! Slingshot for sure, the widowmaker is as tight as a bench shirt (I’m guessing).

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think anyone who has benchend ~185+ for a 1RM could probably benefit from a Reactive Slingshot (blue) incorporated intelligently.

185 isn’t gospel, but I arbitrarily chose that because if someone has never benched that yet they probably are lacking enough in technique or just foundational work benching that it could be more dangerous, and definitely not necessary yet.

The Red or Yellow is really more for someone maxing at least in the mid 200s. Black I wouldn’t mess with unless you can bench 300s.

I haven’t used the Widowmaker, but I can tell you it has that name for a reason likely.

Smolov Jr is a very specific, short-sighted program. Someone who should actually be doing it would never have to ask, because it’s a last resort. It’s not for 95% of the people who unwittingly subject themselves to that kind of mileage.

Having an overall phasic structure to your training for the annual plan is great, I would even say necessary the more advanced a lifter becomes, but block training is about ideological shifts in the training at different times working towards a big picture. Deloading/conditioning/GPP, then hypertrophy, then strength, then either peaking or maybe back to hypertrophy. And mesocyles of work within the blocks typically, but what you find is you’re going to lose some adaption between blocks (you aren’t going to retain all of your new 5x5 squat strength through 8 weeks of bodybuilding work, for example, but it will still help you lift heavier weights when bodybuilding).

DUP is for someone very knowledgeable about training, very in tune with their body, willing to push very hard even when they’re getting torn down, and working with a coach who’s hopefully even more skilled who can objectively assess them as they go. Details matter a lot.

5x5 can be a great primer to get your strength base re-established, then in a couple months you could roll it into a 5/3/1 with any number of his templates from 5/3/1 Forever depending on needs.

Or if you want hypertrophy focus, you could do any number of bodybuilding programs. I’m not even going to try to suggest any. If you want bodybuilding, you’ll find something juicy easily enough.

As always, a wealth of knowledge!

I ran Smolov Jr last year and it actually helped me hit a bench PR. But like some of the other commentary, I lost it pretty quickly after coming off the program. Any of these where I'm really focused on one lift seems to be that way. Use it or lose it, lol.

I've just been trying to read up at this point. Any sites you really like for informative content? Barbend, EliteFTS?

I was looking at one of them (think it was DUP) because it was talking about being able to cover both strength and hypertrophy goals concurrently. Which of course is the goal. Can't seem to find the article now though. But yeah, no coach here, so perhaps I go with something more straightforward.
You definitely do not want the widowmaker. Mine came, it is thickkkkkkkk! Slingshot for sure, the widowmaker is as tight as a bench shirt (I’m guessing).
Well, it sounds like if I get something like this it'll be the slingshot. I'm planning on going to the Arnold this year again finally, so will probably save up some cash to drop on some fitness gear. That's where I've bought my wrist wraps and a few other things in years past.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Morning WO, arms:

Stretching
Curl Ups x10,5,3
TRX biceps curls 3x10
TRX triceps 3x10
EZ bar curls +50x10,10,10 - these felt good.
Dips x15,15,12
DB incline curls 15x10,10,10 - really liking incorporating these as it just hits the bottom portion of my bicep well.
Close Grip BP 135x8,8,5

Stretching/foam rolling cool down.

54:07, 165 cals

Pre: 1 cap E2-X, 2 caps LipoElite, 3 caps AnabolicXT, 4 caps Hydro3
Intra: Same as usual, incl HBCD

Low back has been feeling a little off again. Have to continue to monitor. Ended this week's nutrition with the following:

F ~1500 cals
Sat ~2600 cals
Sun ~2200 cals

Spent time away this weekend with my wife's side of the family, so it was basically Christmas all over again for my kids. Went to the Farm Show and that's where all the cals came from. They brought a taco feast on Sat and it was great. Milkshakes, apple dumplings, pulled pork BBQ on Sun at the show. Back to reality this morning.

Official 1 week weigh in: 159.6#

Weekend obviously had an impact, but still trending downward well. Let's see how this week goes!

Last edited:
SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Curls really are the ultimate feel good exercise. That’s super cool you get a Christmas 2.0! Everything in moderation, even moderation

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can’t say no to Christmas 2.0

But seriously, I can’t do anything in moderation. Especially not moderation

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Curls really are the ultimate feel good exercise. That’s super cool you get a Christmas 2.0! Everything in moderation, even moderation

Yeah, kids got a little spoiled this year I guess. But hey, you're only little once!

Side planks and cardio on the bike this AM, 31:01, 170 cals. Swiss ball crunches x medicine ball twists, foam rolling and stretching post. My lower back on the right side (problem side), I've felt a twinge here and there the past two days. Need to monitor, but it might keep me from doing anything too heavy on back days just out of an abundance of caution.

Back on track with cals yesterday, another ~1500-1600 cal day. Today is going to be a bit of a challenge as I have a work dinner/event at an Italian restaurant. Going to try to go light during the day to try and balance it all out. Will make sure to forego any drinks so I'm not wasting cals there.

Lastly, a few supp updates:
Bumped E2-X to 2 caps twice daily starting today. Something in AnabolicXT definitely aggravated my nips. May try using some Virtus if the E2-X increase doesn't seem to help.
Also, after about a week+ of Alpha-7, getting the typical redness on application areas. Going to have to change up where I put it. I like the carrier (feel, non-scent) a lot of the IF stuff, but it probably is one of the ones that causes irritation fastest.

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I think you summarized excellently you just summarized multiple things in one post.
As always, a wealth of knowledge!

I ran Smolov Jr last year and it actually helped me hit a bench PR. But like some of the other commentary, I lost it pretty quickly after coming off the program. Any of these where I'm really focused on one lift seems to be that way. Use it or lose it, lol.

I've just been trying to read up at this point. Any sites you really like for informative content? Barbend, EliteFTS?

I was looking at one of them (think it was DUP) because it was talking about being able to cover both strength and hypertrophy goals concurrently. Which of course is the goal. Can't seem to find the article now though. But yeah, no coach here, so perhaps I go with something more straightforward. Well, it sounds like if I get something like this it'll be the slingshot. I'm planning on going to the Arnold this year again finally, so will probably save up some cash to drop on some fitness gear. That's where I've bought my wrist wraps and a few other things in years past.
If you want a basic DUP-ish workout that will focus on both strength and hypertrophy Layne Norton's PHAT training might be worth looking into. If you want to focus on on thing over the other then look for something more specific to that goal.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think you summarized excellently you just summarized multiple things in one post.

If you want a basic DUP-ish workout that will focus on both strength and hypertrophy Layne Norton's PHAT training might be worth looking into. If you want to focus on on thing over the other then look for something more specific to that goal.
Thanks!

Never used PHAT but I have always heard some positive reviews. You could probably do worse.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Thanks!

Never used PHAT but I have always heard some positive reviews. You could probably do worse.
Looking into this one, thanks guys. Like the idea of power days and hypertrophy days... just feeling all over at the moment with potential programs.

Skipped the gym yesterday as my body felt like it needed the rest. Didn't track cals fully the past two days, but know I was over. Kind of mad about it, but just focusing on moving forward.

Morning WO.

Didn't have the motivation this morning, but still had a fairly decent session due to the supersets I use around shoulders. This is just my least favorite body part to train.

Bird Dogs x10,5,3
Rotator cuff ex, resistance bands 2x12
DB laterals x DB front raises, 15# x 12/10, 12/10, 12/8
Seated front BB press:
+50x10
+55x10
+60x8
DB bent over laterals x EZ bar upright rows, 15#/+50 x 10/10, 10/10, 10/8
TRX Facepulls 2x10
BB Shrugs 135x3x10

1 hr 1 mins, 211 cals

Pre: 2 caps Lipo Elite, 2 caps E2-X, 2 caps Special Forces, 4 caps Hydro3. Needed a little something extra to try and focus me this morning...
Intra: Same as usual

Used up my last dose of AnabolicXT yesterday. Not sure how I felt about this product tbh. Feeling like I'm just stuck/running in place at the moment. Not feeling this cut, wanting to cycle, just lift heavy and start chasing my bench/deads goal. Maybe I just say f*ck aesthetics, let's get strong. Just need to bite the bullet and set up a program and go for it.

Thinking too about trying to find a training partner to help push me at least once a week. Again, I train at home, but maybe just do one session a weekend?

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you are at a healthy composition and have some strength goals you might as well train for them specifically. If wanting to control the weight you could eat in a slight surplus most of the week then fast 24 hours once a week and work a little towards both. I know since I started actually following a program my drive and focus have gone up. Just figuring out a goal and focusing on it is huge for increasing motivation. Well at least for me.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You haven’t made a lot of progress because you haven’t been able to do what your goals demanded. You backed off your cut for the holidays and gained some cookie weight. This happens to most of us around the holiday - most of it has been about mitigating fat gain and/or cleanup for us. It was for you, and it was for me I know.

That’s frustrating because it’s not a period of progress, but most of us need/choose it for our balanced lives.

But don’t let that dissuade you from pursuing more fat loss if you still want that. You can also strength train in a deficit, you just want to target your nutrition most when you need it (if you don’t train, eat less that day, maybe even intermittent fast to shrink eating window). You can absolutely strength train while slowly dieting. It’s actually kind of cool, because whenever you do decide to stop eating in a deficit things will only go up.

I would not recommend strength training as an excuse to just eat loosely and ignore diet. That is a good way to get a lot tubbier. I mean people do it, but you aren’t going to be happy with the look, and it’s actually worse for your health once you incorporate AAS than being a typical sedentary American.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I had actually forgot he was cutting before the holidays and intended to full on cut after.

Like Hyde said you can definitely push strength in a deficit. My strength is still going up right now with enough of a deficit to be dropping 2lbs a week of actual fat or so it seems. The bigger thing is figuring out what the real goal is and then working hard toward it until you reach it.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You haven’t made a lot of progress because you haven’t been able to do what your goals demanded.
Savage Hyde being savage.

I had actually forgot he was cutting before the holidays and intended to full on cut after.
Me too!

Nah, but in all seriousness, the cut continues. I'm like 1.5 weeks in and only 1.6# above the Dec "maintenance" weight. So I'll keep going until end of the month and reassess, which was the plan.

I do like the idea of going higher cals on training days to meet demand and reducing/fasting on non-training days though. All I currently do is cut out my intra-WO carbs currently. But what are your thoughts about whether this applies or not to cardio/abs only days? Would I still calorie restrict even on those? Or just strictly off days (eg, no weights, no cardio).

Also, 30 mins cardio on the bike this AM, followed by abs.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Savage Hyde being savage.

Me too!

Nah, but in all seriousness, the cut continues. I'm like 1.5 weeks in and only 1.6# above the Dec "maintenance" weight. So I'll keep going until end of the month and reassess, which was the plan.

I do like the idea of going higher cals on training days to meet demand and reducing/fasting on non-training days though. All I currently do is cut out my intra-WO carbs currently. But what are your thoughts about whether this applies or not to cardio/abs only days? Would I still calorie restrict even on those? Or just strictly off days (eg, no weights, no cardio).

Also, 30 mins cardio on the bike this AM, followed by abs.
Do your cardio/abs fasted, then have breakfast post whenever you’re ready. You will liberate and burn fat better during and save calories for real food which will increase satiety and your ability to stay on the plan.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do your cardio/abs fasted, then have breakfast post whenever you’re ready. You will liberate and burn fat better during and save calories for real food which will increase satiety and your ability to stay on the plan.
To be clear, do you mean fasted as no EAAs either?

I do not eat a meal pre-WO, but I do have EAAs+CHO+electrolytes on weight training days, and EAAs+electrolytes only on cardio only days.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
To be clear, do you mean fasted as no EAAs either?

I do not eat a meal pre-WO, but I do have EAAs+CHO+electrolytes on weight training days, and EAAs+electrolytes only on cardio only days.
I would do it actually fasted, because it seems unnecessary to me if you will be having breakfast shortly thereafter, but it probably won’t make a difference either way besides in your wallet.

Electrolytes are probably a good idea.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Legs.

McGill Curl Ups x10,5,3
TRX squats 3x12
Romanian Deadlifts (RDLs): 95x10,10,10 - just realized I may have been doing these all along, not SLDLs!

Did a warm up of some band pull aparts followed by stretching as Hyde suggested.

BB Back squats:
135x10
185x5,5,5 - just didn't feel as stable on these this AM as usual.

TRX calf raises 3x12

~53 mins, 217 cals

Just felt winded this morning. Knees were bothering me a little bit at first with some clicking. Squats were a bit of a struggle this AM, but pushed forward. As someone who had a 335 PR squat once upon a time, struggling with 185# at this point in my life is a bitter pill to swallow. But, that's just where we are.

Pre: 2 caps Lipo Elite, 2 caps E2-X, 2 caps Demon Drops
Intra: Same as usual

Rest tomorrow. Have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, for you IF guys, how strict is the fast? Meaning, could I do a cup of coffee in the morning and still count as being "fasted"? Or is it like, water only? And 12 hr timeframe? 18 hr?

Like I could see going from my last meal (dinner, 6:30 PM) through to lunch (noon next day) by skipping breakfast. But I might need a cup of black coffee or something 0 cal to get me through the morning.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Don’t sweat the squats. Nobody maintains their peak strength all the time, hence the name peak. Most of the time it’s not very long at all - it’s a feat you accomplish, not something you get to own.

You doing the work today is what matters! Your accomplishments matter of course, but I mean today is all we truly “have”.

Also, for you IF guys, how strict is the fast? Meaning, could I do a cup of coffee in the morning and still count as being "fasted"? Or is it like, water only? And 12 hr timeframe? 18 hr?

Like I could see going from my last meal (dinner, 6:30 PM) through to lunch (noon next day) by skipping breakfast. But I might need a cup of black coffee or something 0 cal to get me through the morning.
I drink a lot of black coffee when fasting. 2-4 cups on average. The trivial cals don’t raise insulin because they are so remarkably low and also not sweet or protein.

Black coffee, black tea, green tea are all fine.

You can even PROBABLY do artificial sweeteners too (even if they caused insulin to initially rise, because there is no glucose present the insulin would actually LOWER blood sugar further and kick you right back into a fasted state). The biggest thing here is you are not consuming calories, and therefore setting yourself up to hit a caloric deficit for the day easier. They can be hard on gut health & cause cravings to eat, but if you don’t have those issues they can be options.

I do not do artificial sweeteners when fasting; it’s water and black coffee. Drinking a Bang then does indeed bother my gut/stomach acid. But if diet soda was the difference between completing the fast or not, I would say go for it.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As Hyde said you can definitely push strength in a deficit. My strength is still going up right now with enough of a deficit to be dropping 2lbs a week of actual fat or so it seems. The bigger thing is figuring out what the real goal is and then working hard toward it until you reach it.
+1. I’ve been at a deficit for close to 9 months, and some of my lifts are steadily rising. I’ve even seen some squat progress, but like you, am not always peaking with them.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Morning AM! Have the day off today, so getting in a late morning WO and then catching up with an old buddy of mine over lunch.

Official weight check this AM: 157.2#, (-2.4# since last week).

Enjoyed an evening out on Sat. Took the kids out for Italian. We rarely do dinner at a restaurant, so this was an excursion to Maggiano's. Had a ~1500 cal dinner and not even mad about it. Sampler apps, cannelloni, chocolate cake. Ended up about ~2500 cals on the day.

Had a chat with a local coach to talk about strength and BB goals. Set up sounds reasonable, online coaching with a once weekly in-person workout to help push me a bit further and allow me access to machines I don't have at home. $250/mo. Sounds semi-reasonable, if not a hair high. But since it's got the live training session I feel like that helps justify cost. Just gotta see if I can swing it...

Back WO.

Bird Dogs x10,5,3
Neutral grip pull ups x12,7,6
Straight arm resistance band pressdowns (20#) x Deadlifts:
135x10
185x6,6,7 - grip it and rip it! Last set of 7 felt the best. Amped myself up and pulled fast.
Rack deads:
+200x3,3,1 (didn't count the bar, as it was the non-Olympic bar)
Missed reps on last set as I was aiming for 3. Grip and mental focus slipped.
Deficit deads (standing on 45# plate, note same as above):
+80x5,6

Stretching/foam rolling and posing to finish. Not gonna lie, was fried at the end of this.

58 mins, 317 cals

If I want to improve deads, why am I not focusing on deads?? Seems simple right? So here we go. Did deads, rack deads for top motion, and deficits (light) for the bottom portion.

Pre: 1 scoop Zeus
Intra: Same as usual. Just finished up my Ansi micronized creatine though, so will be switching to plain creatine mono (Musclesport, 5g) moving forward.
Soundtrack: Rediscover the 90s rock, Amazon Music

Since I worked out later today, I had my breakfast and 1 cup of coffee first.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m not saying a coach wouldn’t be helpful, but I just wanted to draw attention to the notion that $3,000 a year could probably buy a lot of food prep service meals if you think that would be more beneficial for diet compliance.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Know I owed you guys some photos, so here's the E2-X courtesy of @Rocket3015

20221229_175505.jpg

And a little food porn. Carne asada tacos with pinto beans and rice. Only ate a little bit of the rice though:

20230116_125808.jpg

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@Hyde makes a lot of sense with the food, but I would probably be more accountable knowing I had to answer to someone once a week with a report. I don't like giving negative reports or lying about what I have done. So it only leaves one choice for me. Just depends on what will make you the most accountable. Also $250 a month for a plan and 4-5 workouts a month is actually pretty good if the guy is good and it includes both training and nutrition. I was paying $150 a month for coaching without any live sessions back in 2018.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
@Hyde makes a lot of sense with the food, but I would probably be more accountable knowing I had to answer to someone once a week with a report. I don't like giving negative reports or lying about what I have done. So it only leaves one choice for me. Just depends on what will make you the most accountable. Also $250 a month for a plan and 4-5 workouts a month is actually pretty good if the guy is good and it includes both training and nutrition. I was paying $150 a month for coaching without any live sessions back in 2018.
That's what I was thinking. I might just do training program & weekly live sessions, so I'd do my own nutrition and supps. Which should reduce cost.

Hopped on the bike for some cardio, 33 mins, 217 cals. Did side planks and leg lifts. Lower back feeling it from yesterday's WO, but the good kind of sore.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Being sore is like a badge of honor !!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
$250/mo. Whoa. I couldn’t.

But, get it man, I’m sure there will be some huge benefits and a lot of knowledge you’ll be able to walk away with from it.

The real question is, why haven’t you been doing dead’s?

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
$250/mo. Whoa. I couldn’t.

But, get it man, I’m sure there will be some huge benefits and a lot of knowledge you’ll be able to walk away with from it.

The real question is, why haven’t you been doing dead’s?
Yeah, it's a little steep. I think I can knock it down by just focusing on a training program and hopefully a little posing knowledge.

I've been running deads, but I've been pairing it with a lot of other back movements (BB rows, single arm, T-bar, etc.). So this was the first time I've just focused all on deadlift variations in one session.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, it's a little steep. I think I can knock it down by just focusing on a training program and hopefully a little posing knowledge.

I've been running deads, but I've been pairing it with a lot of other back movements (BB rows, single arm, T-bar, etc.). So this was the first time I've just focused all on deadlift variations in one session.
I wasn’t thinking about posing practice. That probably comes with feedback and programming on symmetry and such. That increases the value quite a bit.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wasn’t thinking about posing practice. That probably comes with feedback and programming on symmetry and such. That increases the value quite a bit.
Yeah but unless competing does it offer any real value? Are you planning to compete @Segansational?

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah but unless competing does it offer any real value? Are you planning to compete @Segansational?
Yeah, I think I might give it a go. Nov/Dec timeframe, prob physique just to get my feet wet. Just something I've always wanted to give a shot at... and I ain't getting any younger! At this point I'd likely be bantamweight, true novice, & masters. Lol.

Tentative plan is to start training with the coach in Feb, bulk for 6 mo, then do a 16-20 week cut to get ready for the show at the end of the year. But we'll see how it goes/what he says.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I think I might give it a go. Nov/Dec timeframe, prob physique just to get my feet wet. Just something I've always wanted to give a shot at... and I ain't getting any younger! At this point I'd likely be bantamweight, true novice, & masters. Lol.

Tentative plan is to start training with the coach in Feb, bulk for 6 mo, then do a 16-20 week cut to get ready for the show at the end of the year. But we'll see how it goes/what he says.
Make it the plan not the tentative and you will be able to do it. Commitment to the cause is the key to success. Hire your coach, pay your entry fee now and have something to lose other than a bruise to your ego if you don't follow through.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

LFG!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Make it the plan not the tentative and you will be able to do it. Commitment to the cause is the key to success. Hire your coach, pay your entry fee now and have something to lose other than a bruise to your ego if you don't follow through.
I like this thinking!

Skipped my WO this morning since my son's been sick the past two days. Was up with him several times last night. Hoping he sleeps OK tonight. Did manage to get in a brisk walk this morning though and we have a pretty tough hill to climb in our neighborhood.

Nutrition started off high this week, but steadily have dialed it back:

Mon ~2200 cals (went out to lunch with a buddy of mine I haven't seen in a while)
Tues ~1700 cals
Wed ~1500 cals

Will probably push the cals a bit higher tomorrow post bench session. Also, noting I'm slightly craving sweets, but have largely managed to avoid them. I surprisingly don't really miss the alcohol 3 weeks into dry January.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I like this thinking!

Skipped my WO this morning since my son's been sick the past two days. Was up with him several times last night. Hoping he sleeps OK tonight. Did manage to get in a brisk walk this morning though and we have a pretty tough hill to climb in our neighborhood.

Mon ~2200 cals (went out to lunch with a buddy of mine I haven't seen in a while)
Tues ~1700 cals
Wed ~1500 cals

Will probably push the cals a bit higher tomorrow post bench session. Also, noting I'm slightly craving sweets, but have largely managed to avoid them. I surprisingly don't really miss the alcohol 3 weeks into dry January.
Yeah not drinking has been weirdly easy. Tonight at family dinner people poured wine into these stemless glasses that looked like rocks glasses. I was exhausted, my brain fried from work stuff and momentarily thought a bourbon sounded good but it passed pretty fast.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like this thinking!

Tues ~1700 cals
Wed ~1500 cals

Keep on track you are doing good!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Chest.

Rotator cuff ex, resistance band 2x12

Bench Press, suicide grip:
95x10, warm up
135x8
160x5
170x3,4,3 - felt solid

Incline BP, 1/4 x full reps:
105x10,7, ? forgot to count last set.

Incline DB flys:
15x3x10 - Went for stretch and complete contraction at the top with the lighter weight.

Neutral grip push ups x15,10,8
Foam rolling/stretching to finish.

57:13, 212 cals.

My son slept through the night! Well, at least until 5 AM, which is my wake up time for the gym. So, that really led to a good session this morning. Or maybe the day off was helpful. Either way, I'll take it.

Feeling good and motivated today! We all know discipline is what will ultimately get us there, but motivation can certainly give one hell of a boost!

Pre: 1 scoop Zeus, 2 caps Caloriburn (Gains Candy)
Intra: 1 scoop Canteen, 1 scoop Flex EAAs, 1/2 scoop Cluster Bomb, 2 tsp (~3.3g) micronized creatine monohydrate. Realized that the 5g scoop is in tbsp not tsp. But don't think I'll go over the 3g mark, as that's what I was doing previously.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
how are you liking that gains candy? I've been getting some promo emails from Strong Supps for a stack they have

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
how are you liking that gains candy? I've been getting some promo emails from Strong Supps for a stack they have
Gains Candy is just their solo ingredient series. In general, i'm a fan of Alpha Lion. Superhuman Burn Smurf Juice is probably one of my favorite tasting pre's. Now, @delsolrob makes a clone with an upgraded formula, and blue Hawaiian is great. But Smurf Juice is still tops.

@sns8778 also offers standalone paradoxine at a cost effective price for what you get, but not the trademarked version I don't believe.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In general, i'm a fan of Alpha Lion. Superhuman Burn Smurf Juice is probably one of my favorite tasting pre's. Now, @delsolrob makes a clone with an upgraded formula, and blue Hawaiian is great. But Smurf Juice is still tops.
I think that Iconic's All Out Ultra and All Out Sweat both taste great in both flavors - Peach Mango and Blue Hawaiian, and that's coming form someone that normally doesn't like Mango flavors haha.

I haven't tried Alpha Lion's Smurf Juice flavor, but Iconic's All Out Sweat has higher dosages of some things and quite a few ingredients that AL's doesn't have, so if the flavor isn't quite as good as theirs, I don't think it would have anything to do with the flavor itself, I think its just that it has some ingredients in there that are harder to flavor. I think Iconic's tastes great in general and especially for what it is.

Not trying to derail your thread at all, just adding observations about what may lead to there being a little bit of a taste difference in the two that you mentioned.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think that Iconic's All Out Ultra and All Out Sweat both taste great in both flavors - Peach Mango and Blue Hawaiian, and that's coming form someone that normally doesn't like Mango flavors haha.

I haven't tried Alpha Lion's Smurf Juice flavor, but Iconic's All Out Sweat has higher dosages of some things and quite a few ingredients that AL's doesn't have, so if the flavor isn't quite as good as theirs, I don't think it would have anything to do with the flavor itself, I think its just that it has some ingredients in there that are harder to flavor. I think Iconic's tastes great in general and especially for what it is.

Not trying to derail your thread at all, just adding observations about what may lead to there being a little bit of a taste difference in the two that you mentioned.
Superhuman Burn also can promote some heartburn for me, and is genuinely spicy to drink. I picked some up cheap from a buddy unloading his opened tubs when he upgraded to using All Out Sweat.

I should have passed and spent the money on Iconic! I could have ordered some Dermacrine and saved on shipping anyway!