Ruck up sucka! iparatroop's permanent training home.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found you!
That you did and welcome aboard.
Thanks for following sir.
Are you going to a X-Fit gym on base?
Nope. Private establishment. Got a good deal for the first month so I jumped. It's fun so far. Some of the stuff is really easy though.
But do you feel weak?
Funny guy. I will be sure to correct all of your mistakes in your log, from this point forward. You caught one...how many will I catch?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That you did and welcome aboard.
Thanks for following sir.
Nope. Private establishment. Got a good deal for the first month so I jumped. It's fun so far. Some of the stuff is really easy though. Funny guy. I will be sure to correct all of your mistakes in your log, from this point forward. You caught one...how many will I catch?
Yew aint gunna cach nun! :)

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also, I decided to go paleo. Being that Pepsi throwback has real sugar, Copenhagen is of the earth, and Burt's Bees is made by bees, these will be staples. This also means that I will be eating everything without utensils, including spaghetti.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Copenhagen and forkless spaghetti. I think I like Paleo now

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, I decided to go paleo. Being that Pepsi throwback has real sugar, Copenhagen is of the earth, and Burt's Bees is made by bees, these will be staples. This also means that I will be eating everything without utensils, including spaghetti.
Ooh! Oatmeal and Jello would be fun too!

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm pretty sure that red bull is paleo too, since it's essentially a can of bull's energy. Maybe one of the science guys can correct me if I'm wrong.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm pretty sure that red bull is paleo too, since it's essentially a can of bull's energy. Maybe one of the science guys can correct me if I'm wrong.
I concur.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No spaghetti in paleo... WHY!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!
Ooh! Oatmeal and Jello would be fun too!
MMMMMM... I think I had a Paleo Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll this weekend, cuz I ate it with my fingers...
No, I am pretty sure that statement flies.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
fixed?? lol
Yes Para got fixed last week but he is probably still tender so you have to wait for him to be ready to grab the bull by the horn if ya know what I mean...

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Whoa...been away for a day and this is what I come back to!?!?
It's a happy USAF day after all!!

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Workout 2 for the day

Mobility shlt
Some jump roping action to get blood flowing
And some other random crapola

World Wide WOD they called it.

12 minute AMRAP

25 front squats @75 lbs
100 single jump ropes
25 front squats @95 lbs
150 single jump ropes
25 front squats @135 lbs
225 single jump ropes
Repeat...

Finished round one and got 15 squats deep into round two. Should have skipped the workout this morning. Anyway, my dumb ass will probably do two workouts tomorrow and for the remainder of the week (gym prescribed and WWW) just because I want the most for my money.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Workout 2 for the day

Mobility shlt
Some jump roping action to get blood flowing
And some other random crapola

World Wide WOD they called it.

12 minute AMRAP

25 front squats @75 lbs
100 single jump ropes
25 front squats @95 lbs
150 single jump ropes
25 front squats @135 lbs
225 single jump ropes
Repeat...

Finished round one and got 15 squats deep into round two. Should have skipped the workout this morning. Anyway, my dumb ass will probably do two workouts tomorrow and for the remainder of the week (gym prescribed and WWW) just because I want the most for my money.
That WOD looks like a puke fest waiting to happen. I think I want to try it!

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a lot of jumping....my moobs would be sore.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Now that is a circuit for your ass!!!! Okay well maybe your quads but damn that looks intense and a good way to break in the wrists for heavier front squats I bet.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That WOD looks like a puke fest waiting to happen. I think I want to try it!
I didn't puke but it was definitely a challenge.
That's a lot of jumping....my moobs would be sore.
Surprisingly, I'm not sore. Hip flexors are a little tight but I'll roll them out tonight.
Now that is a circuit for your ass!!!! Okay well maybe your quads but damn that looks intense and a good way to break in the wrists for heavier front squats I bet.
Quads, ass and calves, yessir.
The front rack is a position that's a little more difficult for me to get comfortable in. The wrists aren't an issue, but rotating the elbows skyward was a challenge when I first started trying it. When I front squatted before, I'd always use the crossed-arm method. Since trying clean and jerks, I realize the importance of being able to get in the proper front rack position. A lot of foam rolling of the lats has helped.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Practiced cleans this morning at 155lbs. Very manageable weight, more focused on form than anything else. Gotta remember my cues (deadlift, shrug/pop hips/jump, drive elbows up, roll shoulders forward, open wrists).

Tonight's workout is DT.
5 rounds for time
21 deadlifts
15 hang cleans
6 shoulder to overhead all at 155lbs.

Will post results later. Sounds like a grip failing good time.

Here's a video of a couple of practice reps this morning.

http://youtu.be/DOcJp9cj11g

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh yeah, 177.75 upon rising today. Withering away.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work on the cleans, I have not done a clean in years. Closest I have done is to clean the bar out of the bent over row hooks on the front of the squat rack with 135 on it. That is going to be one hell of a workout by the way.

So you are dropping weight but how does it look on you? Are you noticeably leaner, do your muscle look smaller or do you just look leaner. What would you say is happening with your physique?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try to drop under the weight more on the cleans.

It'll be extremely necessary to catch when weight gets heavy because you won't be able to pop it all the way up and will be forced to drop under it instead so it's good to practice it with light weights.

Should be the pop of the hips and then an immediate drop into an oly squat in the catch.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Try to drop under the weight more on the cleans.

It'll be extremely necessary to catch when weight gets heavy because you won't be able to pop it all the way up and will be forced to drop under it instead so it's good to practice it with light weights.

Should be the pop of the hips and then an immediate drop into an oly squat in the catch.
I was thinking this but it has been so long since I did one I didn't want to try to critique the form, but I thought he needed to drop deeper on the catch.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks, tryin over here.
Nice work on the cleans, I have not done a clean in years. Closest I have done is to clean the bar out of the bent over row hooks on the front of the squat rack with 135 on it. That is going to be one hell of a workout by the way. So you are dropping weight but how does it look on you? Are you noticeably leaner, do your muscle look smaller or do you just look leaner. What would you say is happening with your physique?
Thanks buddy. Yup, that workout is gonna be tough. I just hope to finish it.
As far as the weight loss, some muscle fullness is gone, but what I'm noticing more than anything else is leaning through the midsection. I don't have the kind of abs that pop, they're more flat so it's gonna take a pretty low body fat percentage to see them clearly. The area that is dwindling the fastest is the love handle/lower back fat area. My diet has been pretty low in carbs (~100-125gED, mostly before noon focused peri-workout) so I know glycogen stores MAY be running low, but I feel no ill effects. Every night before bed I'm eating 4 whole eggs, 1/2-1/4 cup pepper jack, and either 6oz 99% turkey, or an isernio's grd chx sausage (50-60gP/0-4gC/25-34gF depending on the combo). I've noticed that by adding this particular meal I wake up leaner in the morning. I also eat a pack of chocolate peanut butter pop tarts PWO. Cals are around 2800-3k daily except Sundays where I just eat what I want.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try to drop under the weight more on the cleans. It'll be extremely necessary to catch when weight gets heavy because you won't be able to pop it all the way up and will be forced to drop under it instead so it's good to practice it with light weights. Should be the pop of the hips and then an immediate drop into an oly squat in the catch.
Yessir. Only reason I'm not dropping into squat position on video is because tonight will be hang cleans and I was trying to get maximum hip pop and shrug to get the bar up without having to rely on the squat for assistance. Once weight goes higher, squat will be essential. Plus I'm a little tight from last night.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice! I am really very close to pulling the trigger on the "One Man One Barbell" program I sent you.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice! I am really very close to pulling the trigger on the "One Man One Barbell" program I sent you.
So am I. I was looking at bumper weights and bars yesterday. Goddamn it's expensive to lift your own weights.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So am I. I was looking at bumper weights and bars yesterday. Goddamn it's expensive to lift your own weights.
No doubt, but bumpers are typically a little taller so you don't need all bumpers just two big ones, and can load the other plates after. I have been meaning to get a pair of 10kilo bumpers so my wife can dead lift from the appropriate height. She always ends up too deep with the smaller weights and that hurts her back.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No doubt, but bumpers are typically a little taller so you don't need all bumpers just two big ones, and can load the other plates after. I have been meaning to get a pair of 10kilo bumpers so my wife can dead lift from the appropriate height. She always ends up too deep with the smaller weights and that hurts her back.
Agreed. Even a decent bar costs a few c-notes though.
As far as the wife, you could always start the weight on blocks to make up for the difference in height too.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
If you are gonna be doing a lot of cleans or snatches, check out "John North weightlifting" on YouTube. Dudes got a lot of good instructional videos and goes pretty in depth with explanation of body angles. I watch them whenever I feel like I have a rough day with my form.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Troop, one thing that concerns me w your clean is the inward angles of your upper arms. It's putting a lot of pressure on the tendons/ligaments on the inside of the elbow.

Looked really good of the floor...

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Troop, one thing that concerns me w your clean is the inward angles of your upper arms. It's putting a lot of pressure on the tendons/ligaments on the inside of the elbow. Looked really good of the floor...
Thank you sir. I see it, I will fix it. Ain't nobody got time for elbow surgery.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Just noticed your vid. The only other thing, other that what Napalm said, is to make sure that that when you pop your hips, pull the bar into them as well. Your shooting straight up and using what looks like all upper body to muscle the bar up. Get that solid hip to bar contact an the bar will come up much easier. This will help a lot with your drop too, so you will be more solid at the catch instead of having your knees come in.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I remember reading something, I think rippetoe and he said its shoulder girdle mobility. What he says is to put enough weight on the bar so you can't get it off the j hooks, get in a clean position and just keep working your arms under the bar. Put a stretch on it, let off, rinse lather, repeat until you can get in the right position...

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just noticed your vid. The only other thing, other that what Napalm said, is to make sure that that when you pop your hips, pull the bar into them as well. Your shooting straight up and using what looks like all upper body to muscle the bar up. Get that solid hip to bar contact an the bar will come up much easier. This will help a lot with your drop too, so you will be more solid at the catch instead of having your knees come in.

image-3846110012.jpg

image-127054445.jpg

You're right. Popping straight up. Thanks. Will work on it tonight during warmup.
I remember reading something, I think rippetoe and he said its shoulder girdle mobility. What he says is to put enough weight on the bar so you can't get it off the j hooks, get in a clean position and just keep working your arms under the bar. Put a stretch on it, let off, rinse lather, repeat until you can get in the right position...
Thanks Maynard. Will also work on this during warmup. I'll get some more video tonight, probably without a shirt on since it's crossfit.