Rob112^3...That means cubed guys. See what I did?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bench

Worked up to 185 x 5 x 5(last rep was a grinder from hell, but I wanted to get it bad) 135 x 7(arms were shot!)(all paused of course)
Chest supported Row-2plates x 8 reps x 4 sets Face pulls-80 x 15 reps x 4 sets

Doesn't look like a lot but on this day there was nothing a tricep extension could have done that the bench didn't already. The last rep took everything I had. My whole body felt it. Accomplished my goal of the day. I tried to get a video from the wife bit she said she couldn't get back far enough to film bc of the other people at the gym being in the way. Women, amirite?

Now I need to decide what to go to next week. Am I going to try building more with 185 or move up to 190-195 and start at 5 sets of 3 reps again or work up to 4 sets of 12 reps at 185...decisions.

Side note, as per CWS from JTS I did like how the chest supported row was the exact opposite motion of the bench.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bench

Worked up to 185 x 5 x 5(last rep was a grinder from hell, but I wanted to get it bad) 135 x 7(arms were shot!)(all paused of course)
Chest supported Row-2plates x 8 reps x 4 sets Face pulls-80 x 15 reps x 4 sets

Doesn't look like a lot but on this day there was nothing a tricep extension could have done that the bench didn't already. The last rep took everything I had. My whole body felt it. Accomplished my goal of the day. I tried to get a video from the wife bit she said she couldn't get back far enough to film bc of the other people at the gym being in the way. Women, amirite?

Now I need to decide what to go to next week. Am I going to try building more with 185 or move up to 190-195 and start at 5 sets of 3 reps again or work up to 4 sets of 12 reps at 185...decisions.

Side note, as per CWS from JTS I did like how the chest supported row was the exact opposite motion of the bench.
If you have a meet in mind, I'd say get the 5 sets of 3 going. If you're still a ways out, I'd build a little more size, volume, strength endurance etc. With the 185x4x12 or even 4x8 and then move up.

Good effort finishing the set, man.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you have a meet in mind, I'd say get the 5 sets of 3 going. If you're still a ways out, I'd build a little more size, volume, strength endurance etc. With the 185x4x12 or even 4x8 and then move up.

Good effort finishing the set, man.
Meet isn't until december...pretty sure it's the 15th...I'll stay building 185 then. Eventually I'll throw on my sling shot for assistance, but my triceps are getting fried.

Thanks buddy

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Meet isn't until december...pretty sure it's the 15th...I'll stay building 185 then. Eventually I'll throw on my sling shot for assistance, but my triceps are getting fried.

Thanks buddy
Yep, bigger muscle has the potential to be a stronger muscle. And definitely get your volume in to prepare you to have good assistance work when the loads get heavy. Assistance is where the total grows.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yep, bigger muscle has the potential to be a stronger muscle. And definitely get your volume in to prepare you to have good assistance work when the loads get heavy. Assistance is where the total grows.
I like that idea. Thanks brother!

I will really try to get a video next week to help keep my form in check as I know I seem to always miss something, or two something's on bench.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
7/15 DE Dead

Sumo-worked up to 275 x 1, 1, 1
Conventional-225 x 3, 3, 5, 3, 3
Ghetto SSB GM-+50 x 6, 5, 4, +90 x 4
Cable Crunch/Hanging Leg Raise-150 x 12reps x 4 sets/6,7,5,8
Walking Lunges-35's x 3sets of 10

Trouble getting into position sumo again so I went conventional...and realized I am much weaker conventional now compared to 6 months ago. Good session, but not stellar. Having Deadlift troubles lately.

7/16 RE Squat
*This day was going to be a light cardio day but I was feeling good and after a not so stellar workout yesterday I decided to go for it.

Warm up-8 minutes glide step thing
SSB Squat(ghetto rig)-+50 x 5, +90 x 5, +110 x 5, +145 x 5(taped)
*Don't know what the bar weights so I put in plate weights
Toe Elevated SLDL-135 x 10reps x 2 sets, 185 x 10reps x 2 sets(taped)
Leg Raises(non-hanging)-15, 15, 15, 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW1AZSU0ILA

Was pretty whopped after 3rd workout in 3 days. Ended up losing a set bc I found yet another ex powerlifter who I ended up talking to for 10 minutes of so. Very cool guy who had multiple WNPF records. This workout felt great, those SSB's are hard, and no belts or wraps on this day.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Makes sense why I didn't get anything out of the plates....THEY WERE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF MY ****ING FOOT! hahaha oh well. Next time!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's TOE elevated! TOE

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Makes sense why I didn't get anything out of the plates....THEY WERE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF MY ****ING FOOT! hahaha oh well. Next time!
lol that's so ****ing awesome!!

Although, I wore Oly shoes to do some snatch grip deadlift and it was great, so you could probably sneak those plates under your heals for that ;)

jem6702

jem6702

Awards
He was close
How do you set up the "ghetto SSB?" Looks like you are using a Band for a handhold?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He was close
How do you set up the "ghetto SSB?" Looks like you are using a Band for a handhold?
Well we have one without handles so i just used my lifting straps and wrapped them around the bar. You can do something similar with a regular barbell and lifting straps.

Herderdude and Sean, it took me until I was home watching the video to freaking notice my set up was wrong lol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah, hell. It wasn't wrong, just "different". ;-)

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Odds and Ends

Cross Ramp Warm up

Calf Extensions-6plates x 15reps x 5sets
Pendlay Rows-135 x 8reps x 4sets
T/Y-25's x 5es, 5es, 8es, 8es/5, 8, 8, 8
Spider Curl/Band Pull Aparts-40 x 12, 15, 12, 10/25reps x 4sets
Shrugs/Side Bends-70 x 10reps x 4sets/70 x 10es x 4sets
Hanging Leg Raise/Cable Crunch/Cable Torso Rotations-BW x 8, 8, 7/150 x 15, 12, 12/60 x 10es, 12es, 80 x 10es

This workout felt great. Felt a little sore in a couple areas from earlier this week but nothing bad. I did no grip work but my grip was shot because of the shrugs/side bends/hanging leg raises.

Main things I focused on were stretching sore areas, developing my upper back, and hitting what I don't have time for in normal training. This has also become like a volume day as well.

Back at it sunday.

Side note, I was pool side all day yesterday on my off day because it actually didn't rain for once, and I got some serious tanage so I expect my lifts and muscle tone to increase substantially. Its just the facts.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jacked AND tan!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ME Deadlift

Deads-135 x 10, 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 3, 315 x 3sets of 3(last one taped)
+Reverse Bands(nothing at the top)-375 x 3, 405+belt x 1(hated the belt on conventional), no belt 405 x 1
225 with no bands time 8 explosive reps
Reverse Box Lunges-BW x 20, 25's x 10reps x 3sets
Shrugs-75's x 4sets of 10reps
Oblique Twists/Leg(Body kinda)raises off of a decline Bench-3sets of yo momma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE3551uLKcA

Form needs some work these. I can already see that my back rounds some and my shoulders are in front of the bar. These felt much better than Sumos have lately. The workout overall was awesome. Hat was literally soaked to the brim. For some reason I can't use my belt with conventional. It feels like bad tight in the lift, or too lose to notice. May be my belt as it isn't top of the line. 100%Raw is okay with me though. If the numbers go up I am happy. Probably won't pull from the floor next week unless light.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My belt bothered the hell out of my coonventional pulls until I jacked it up as high as I possibly can. Not Efferding/Lilliebridge high, but up against the bottom of my ribs. Actually before I threw out my back, I learned how to use it to give me some pop off of the floor.

What helps keep my shoulders lined up with the bar is continuing to sit down as I'm pulling. I noticed that you sit down and back to take out slack, and then you more stand up with it than drive your heels down. That's what's causing your back to rotate back in front of the bar. I would lever back against the bar and keep levering back and sitting down until it's time to lock out. Another cue I've heard is to push your heels through the floorboards. Here's my best example of belt placement for me and also sitting down and back (again, for me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8brkrSu7Qbo

You'll notice, my butt doesn't actually continue to sit down as the bar rises, but it really feels like it does. You're basically using your bodyweight to teeter-totter the weight off of the ground. If you take 225 and sit back until the bar comes off of the floor, it will feel like this in your head: Sit, sit, sit, lock it out. I hope that makes sense, try it out next time.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Herderdude thank you again.

I will mess with higher up belt positioning.

I could tell that I didn't have the correct, teetor-tooter, type of thing going on. I wasn't even going to initially tape and then decided I needed to see it.

I think I gotta drive backwards harder overall. I'm sticking conventional for a while as it seemed stronger and 10 times more explosive off the floor. I'll tape again in the coming weeks to see if I improved.

I like sumo, but I think doing it all the time for my body starts to wear out the hips and groin. I'll go back to it after awhile and use whatever is stronger in December.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good workout man. I hear you on sitting back more on deadlifts. It's hard for me to find the balance between sitting back properly and not falling backwards.

How did you like the reverse bands?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good workout man. I hear you on sitting back more on deadlifts. It's hard for me to find the balance between sitting back properly and falling backwards.

How did you like the reverse bands?
It is quite the cosmic struggle haha

I thought it was awesome bc I did plenty volume, went near my max weights, and didn't completely fry my CNS. I had it set to make it all me at the top and still working off the bottom. I strapped on the red mini and did a rip at 315 just to see and decided I needed the black minis for deads or I'd snap them ****ers lol. I'll keep them In my ME rotation for sure.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bench

Warm up-Defranco's warm up-banded shoulder distraction-internal external rotations

Bench(competition pause)-Bar x 5 x 2, 95 x 5 x 2, 135 x 3, 2, 155 x 3, 175 x 3, 185 x 5, 5, 3, 3, 205 x 1(for transitional purposes)
+sling shot-225 x 3, 3, 2(no spot so not putting out the last one just in case)
Tate Press-30's x 8, 10, 10, 10
Chest Supported Row-Worked up in triples by 10 and 5 lbs increments to 135 from 90 for triples wide grip and back down close grip

My body was pretty wrecked from deads yesterday, Hence the long work up to keep volume up and get warm. Joints feeling kinda beat up so instead of just dropping off on bench I decided to go up with the slingshot to save the joints and still stimulate the muscles. Those were paused as well. May need to consider not doing a bench day after a dead day. My work schedule this week just kind of made this hard and I had a hankering to deadlift yesterday. I know I talked about going to like 4 sets of 8 but I think working up to 190 for 3 x 5 and then to 5 x 5 and then up first will help the weight feel lighter...I dunno. I just know I lose form when I rep high(more so than usual).

Main thing about this session is I did what my body allowed and had a good workout. Also, if anyone hasn't noticed, I am spending a lot of time on the main lift each workout...I am not "majoring in the minors" which I feel is important for my growth at this moment since I have no lifts mastered in the slightest(technique wise).

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's good that you noticed that you lose form and you decided to do something about it. Going up in weight and doing your 3x5 and 5x5 is still an excellent option. More first reps is always a good thing.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So after much thought I realized some things I could have done differently with the cube to work more to my advantage. What started this thought process is I am still a little beat up from deads and have to squat tomorrow. Well beauty is I have to do DE Squats so it will be great for that. Huge advantage to the program. The problem is in the first couple weeks the percentages he has laid out do exactly fit what I personally could be dynamic with, or weights that were working for my repetitive numbers.

The take away is what Lilly says, I am recognizing how I am different and am learning already what I can do to improve the next run. I don't have it completely set up as of yet but I have many ideas in my head. I'm not laying them all out here right now.

This is all coming from I was thinking that this type of program wasn't for me shortly after starting as I posted earlier in the log, but I think I can see now how I can actually use it and it be advantageous to me, and give it a better second run.

End blog entry.

Live laugh love, come at me bros :D

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I felt that exact same way. I relied too heavily on the percentages and the way it was written in the book. I feel like I would have done the cube a disservice to stop after the first cycle. I just needed to format it to my particular needs. With that being said, if I don't squat 405 by week 11 I'm forever done with the cube, lol.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I felt that exact same way. I relied too heavily on the percentages and the way it was written in the book. I feel like I would have done the cube a disservice to stop after the first cycle. I just needed to format it to my particular needs. With that being said, if I don't squat 405 by week 11 I'm forever done with the cube, lol.
Don't blame you at all if that's the case. If I don't have some PR's in that time I will too.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Edit: decided to think it over before leaving the whole idea out there.

Squats tomorrow.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5-3-1 for the win.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
RE Squat

Warm up was the usual squat warm up

Squat-Worked up to 275 x 2 with just a belt, 315 x 2 w/wraps(PR)
TOE elevated SLDL-185 x 8, 225 x 5reps x 2sets and 7reps on 3rd set
Did 4 sets of a superset of Hanging leg raises and cable crunches

Notes: This work out was awesome. I thought it was DE squats but it was RE. I looked at the book and it called for a heavy double, so I did a heavy double...heaviest double I've ever done AND I STILL HAD SOME IN THE TANK! Could have tripled it but I left some in the tank as I should. I unfortunately don't have a video but I ain't even mad because I know I will get more on the squat when the time comes and I will make sure it gets taped. Long story short, my knee wraps were getting uncomfortable waiting and I was ready to go and camera was messing up.

I also did SLDL right today and they did feel great haha. I have a weak point friday and back at the big lifts on sunday.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RE Squat

Warm up was the usual squat warm up

Squat-Worked up to 275 x 2 with just a belt, 315 x 2 w/wraps(PR)
TOE elevated SLDL-185 x 8, 225 x 5reps x 2sets and 7reps on 3rd set
Did 4 sets of a superset of Hanging leg raises and cable crunches

Notes: This work out was awesome. I thought it was DE squats but it was RE. I looked at the book and it called for a heavy double, so I did a heavy double...heaviest double I've ever done AND I STILL HAD SOME IN THE TANK! Could have tripled it but I left some in the tank as I should. I unfortunately don't have a video but I ain't even mad because I know I will get more on the squat when the time comes and I will make sure it gets taped. Long story short, my knee wraps were getting uncomfortable waiting and I was ready to go and camera was messing up.

I also did SLDL right today and they did feel great haha. I have a weak point friday and back at the big lifts on sunday.
Nice work! I feel you on the knee wraps, man. If it's not uncomfortable, you ain't wrappin hard enough! When you're really gunning for huge weights, stretch them as you roll them up so that they're already pre stretched to their max and then you crank tighter. An "X" over the kneecap makes 'em work better too.

Ah, I love knee wraps.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stud lifts man nice pr

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice work! I feel you on the knee wraps, man. If it's not uncomfortable, you ain't wrappin hard enough! When you're really gunning for huge weights, stretch them as you roll them up so that they're already pre stretched to their max and then you crank tighter. An "X" over the kneecap makes 'em work better too.

Ah, I love knee wraps.
I just recently watched Lilly and Ed coan wrap and they do that too. Thank you sir.

And yea, uncomfortable as **** haha. Feel like the second leg is racing the clock.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just recently watched Lilly and Ed coan wrap and they do that too. Thank you sir.

And yea, uncomfortable as **** haha. Feel like the second leg is racing the clock.
I saw the one done on APT where the guy put the X directly on the knee first thing and spiral wrapped around it. That's how I do it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They suck. I tied mine too tight the other day. I X wrap too. X then wrap top to bottom and cross back up to tie it. 3 turns down for light ish weight, 4 for heavy. You'll find what works.

Good session!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ohhh I see what you guess are saying. I do it like Ed Coan as of now; top to bottom then an x like thing up. I'll try the other way too and see what I like more.

Thanks fellas

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I go once around the top to pin the end, then inside out down across the knee, behind and back up through, then I fill in the parts in between my top and bottom. That's all with 2m wraps. I'd love to see what I could do with 3m wraps.

smoker145

Ohhh I see what you guess are saying. I do it like Ed Coan as of now; top to bottom then an x like thing up. I'll try the other way too and see what I like more.

Thanks fellas
Nice workout you got in today man. Keep it up!

smoker145

What's up bro? Thought it was about time to get my butt over to a minds. It's pretty sweet

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea man, this forum has helped me 10 fold over the other one. Enjoy it.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nothing much to report.

Just worked traps/rear delts/lighterish lats/calfs/and core. Main thing is weak/missed points and recovery.

It was good but not much to post as not exciting IMO. Could also be that my little princess decided on not wanting to sleep until 2 in the morning...

Back with better update on Sunday.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you get 5-6? lucky...

smoker145

Yea I get 5-6 usually and I'm fully of energy. Now you give big shot bobby under 8 hours of sleep.... The man is a zombie the next day and can't even tell you the month your in

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hahaha that's great. I run on 5-6 during the school year if I am lucky. When I work morning shifts at the gym I usually get 3-4.

smoker145

I feel ya man. Being a student and working is rough. It's the worst for me when I get home at the end of the day and try to do my assignments. It always makes for a long night

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah I picked up another job this year so we will see how that goes. Good thing is it's work study at the gym at school. BONUS!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
RE Deads

Week 7
Rack pulls from mid shins-Worked up to 315 x 1, 1, 3, 3, 2(harder than off the floor for me...crazy right?)225 x 5 plus long hold
Traveling lunges-35's x 12steps x 4 sets
Cable Crunch/Hanging Leg raise-160 x 10reps x 4sets, BW x 8, 8, 6, 7
Side Planks-Twice each side to failure

So my earlier assumption was correct. It is harder for me to pull from pins(replicating block pulls) than it is to pull from the floor. Kinda crazy IMO. That's why it started with single because I was kind of taken back by how hard they were. Lunges destroyed me as always.

In a rush as I have work soon.

One thing that is crazy about the pulls is it is exactly that point in the lift. When I used to do rack pulls higher(when I was bodybuilding/gym rat) I could go heavier than off the floor. It is specifically that point in the lift. I guess I'll just have to cut it back on the weight when I do those. No drive from there.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man, finding a weakness is always a good thing, now you have something to bring up! Usually that point takes away the quad drive from the movement. Working that spot will develop the all-important hamstrings, quite possibly the most important muscle group to a total.