Rob112^3...That means cubed guys. See what I did?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just wanna know how he did that in jeans......

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bodybuilding and Weak Point Training Day

Incline Close Grip Press-lots of warm up reps, 135 x 5 sets of 3
Kroc Rows-90's x 15reps each arm(PR)
OHP-95 x 5, 115 x 3, 3, 2
HS Calf Extensions-6 x 45lb plates x 5sets of 12reps
Face Pulls/Rope Curls/Planks-70 x 15 x 3, 100 x 10 x 3, 3 until fail

Shoulders just were feeling a little off on the press so I did a lot of work with the bar and 95lbs to warm up. Along with some banded distractions inbetween sets. Aside from the Rows I just didn't exactly have it today. So instead on trying to do something I couldn't I just kept the intensity up with little rest times and a nice superset of non-stop work three times around.

I may need to start the next week on saturday...if not sunday. I have a forever changing schedule so I'll get back to it when it works out best.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ME Deadlifts

Todays deadlift session really sucked. I don't want to post up a long whine session so I'll keep it short.

I worked up to 315 for some singles(yes singles) from pins. Cube called for 332 for 5 sets of 2. The new bars are horrible. 365 at the meet as an opener felt easier than this. The bars are short fat and no whip/slack at all. They suck. If you work out with good bars cherish them.

Did a million GM's with 205 to take out my frustrations. Bulgarian Split Squats with a plate, and lots of cable crunches. I know this update sucks.

I also had interesting with my chiro(who was a competitive powerlifter for over a decade) and my training. He was asking why I also go to such high percentages all the time. He said to me "you have to remember your natural and you can't beat yourself up all the time." We discussed a lot more. My whole point is two things: He gave me a lot to think about, and he said that he would help me out and get my lifts up. We are gonna talk about it wednesday.

I'm not doing anything drastic just yet. Just have a lot to think about with training.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's what I like about 5-3-1. a week of recovery every months and IMO only one super heavy week. Everyone needs pre hab rehab stretching diet and sleep though too. Don't sell yourself short just because you have a bad workout. That doesn't mean you're being overworked. Cut back on training volume some if you need to.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It wasn't really the volume or selling myself short in the way you mean.

He said I was selling myself short and doing too much work so heavy all the time(with a meet not until December).

He wants to help me with the bench most. So my bench plan may deviate. If I can get a free coach who benches much much better than me(even still in his early fifties) I will take it.

Without ranting too much it's hard to explain the conversation.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got ya... well what kind of %/ reps have you been doing? All my work w/ 5-3-1 has been in the 3-10 range except squats which are a little lower because I am week. Aka that's what I am hitting on my final sets most weeks. I don't see the need to train any less reps than 3, and personally like around 7 myself. I wouldn't be benching low reps all the time either so if that's what you are trying to get away from I support that.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I got ya... well what kind of %/ reps have you been doing? All my work w/ 5-3-1 has been in the 3-10 range except squats which are a little lower because I am week. Aka that's what I am hitting on my final sets most weeks. I don't see the need to train any less reps than 3, and personally like around 7 myself. I wouldn't be benching low reps all the time either so if that's what you are trying to get away from I support that.
Basically, he always says "what did you do" and "where did you go" to me. Meaning lift and weight. Now going into the meet it made perfect sense what I was doing as I was ramping up for the meet and solidifying my openers. Now a few weeks after I'm still in the 80% plus range a lot. I don't necessarily know that this is a problem.

A main point was his buddy for example, who like in the squat article recently in Swanson's thread, only trained at 60-70% most of the time until it got close to a meet. Guy has a 400+ bench in competition, but trains with less than 300lbs most of the time.

Finally, the thing that really got me thinking is the fact that me, a novice lifter who is natty, is trying to do programming of an elite powerlifter who I would assume is not natural.

Not saying I'm stopping the cube or knocking anything of non-natty lifters as I look up to them and they are inspirational. Just makes me think.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well the Cube is certainly a pretty advanced program. 5-3-1 is a bit more intermediate, I don't know if you have much experience with it. I personally like training with different % of max for different things. Like Deads, I can rep 95% of my training max. Bench, I can only hit 2-4 reps at 95%. Squats are more like 2-3. OHP I can rep. I don't necessarily think percents have to make sense and rule your routine across the board. Train with a weight that is comfortable, gives you a good pump, and you have to work hard with. IMO I made a lot of progress back in the day just hitting 7-12 reps of everything at a pretty decent weight. Some stuff like Deads I wouldn't do that high. I like bench in the 5-8 rep range. squats I really like 7-10 reps, lighter weight. I feel like this is where I see the most progress, personally.

You should look at running 5-3-1 for a few months. Very reasonable what you have to lift, as long as you are honest about your 1RM and then your training max.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the input man, and you are right. I am well aware that pros don't go to the gym with their calculator so you are right on not letting it run my workouts. I guess I get obsessive about it sometimes.

At the end of the day I just want to pick up heavy things and put them back down again :D

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the input man, and you are right. I am well aware that pros don't go to the gym with their calculator so you are right on not letting it run my workouts. I guess I get obsessive about it sometimes.

At the end of the day I just want to pick up heavy things and put them back down again :D
Let me be your guide in obsessive...

I can't change my 5/3/1 excel sheet conveniently from my iPhone, so I spent 1.5 hours setting up, calculating, rotating, and writing down my next 7 weeks of 5/3/1. Details, I loves em.

That said, it's DONE. I'll put the weights in my logbook for the next 24 sessions and that's it. Show up, blow up.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Let me be your guide in obsessive...

I can't change my 5/3/1 excel sheet conveniently from my iPhone, so I spent 1.5 hours setting up, calculating, rotating, and writing down my next 7 weeks of 5/3/1. Details, I loves em.

That said, it's DONE. I'll put the weights in my logbook for the next 24 sessions and that's it. Show up, blow up.
Haha omg...you are the man big dawg!

It'll be nice to see how the new program treats ya

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I mean hey I might take my T98... Just kidding. Rule number 1: listen to your body in the gym. If you think something might work better give it a try.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Volume Bench in place of DE

After much though and discussion with my peers I have decided on the Bench to build up intermediate strength instead of testing my strength all the time. I have all the way until december until my next meet. The way it was put to me is if I could, for example, smoke even just 205 for 5 x 5 with paused reps my overall press will be much better.

The workout
Bench Work Sets-175 x 3reps x 3 sets, 185 x 3reps x 5 sets(all paused reps)
Chest Supported Row-90 x 5, 115 x 3reps, 5reps x 4sets
Face Pulls-80 x 10, 90 x 10reps x 4sets
Tricep Pushdowns-150 x 8reps x 4sets
Rolling Tricep Extensions-30's x 8, 7, 7, 8(left tricep smoked)
Shurgs w/DBs-70's x 10, 8, 8(callouses not doing good here)

Very happy with the workout and the volume. I wasn't feeling 100% this morning and instead of upping the weight I went against that and did high volume and had a very productive session. Next week I will go for 5 sets of 5. When I get that I will up the weight, and so on and so on.

No wife to tape me today. I will say I rode the **** out of my lats on the way down, and I felt tight and strong the whole time until the last rep. I will video when I can(probably next time).

SPLocal

Awards
I've been lurking this log and wanted to just drop some praise for the commitment/discipline being shown in here.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you interested in competitive powerlifting and opt for the Cube as your training platform?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been lurking this log and wanted to just drop some praise for the commitment/discipline being shown in here.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you interested in competitive powerlifting and opt for the Cube as your training platform?
Sean, Herder, Swanson, and Napalm.

They brought the cube.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

My interest came immediately after I really had my eyes open to it. Unfortunately that wasn't too long ago(on these forums). I made a thread asking for reading material and what I got was "The Periodization Bible" and some Russian manuscripts. That opened the door to something I knew nothing about. Powerlifting just makes so much sense to my goals. My only quarrel is I wish I learned sooner.

Competing...well I think that is what makes you a powerlifter so I jumped on that really early. To me, and this may sound dumb, but it is like when I played in bands; it didn't matter if we weren't the best, we did it bc we loved doing it. Plus, probably a good idea to see if you like it.

The cube is just really something I jumped on from the other guys. I was paying for coaching but I ran out of money(supporting a family is tough sometimes) so I needed new direction.

INB4 tldr

Cliffs
-had no direction in lifting
-gave me direction
-Brandon Lilly, y u cut beard?

SPLocal

Awards
My interest came immediately after I really had my eyes open to it. Unfortunately that wasn't too long ago(on these forums). I made a thread asking for reading material and what I got was "The Periodization Bible" and some Russian manuscripts. That opened the door to something I knew nothing about. Powerlifting just makes so much sense to my goals. My only quarrel is I wish I learned sooner.

Competing...well I think that is what makes you a powerlifter so I jumped on that really early. To me, and this may sound dumb, but it is like when I played in bands; it didn't matter if we weren't the best, we did it bc we loved doing it. Plus, probably a good idea to see if you like it.

The cube is just really something I jumped on from the other guys. I was paying for coaching but I ran out of money(supporting a family is tough sometimes) so I needed new direction.

INB4 tldr

Cliffs
-had no direction in lifting
-gave me direction
-Brandon Lilly, y u cut beard?
Thanks for the response; not TLDR by any means (you should see the posts on my training log for true TLDR).

I'm within somewhat the same boat at the moment with my training; I have the discipline and drive but the goals are fuzzy. After having experienced the ups/downs of amateur "bodybuilding" bulks/cuts/cycles/etc, I'm starting to get the sense that bodybuilding in itself is more of a crapshoot of genetics/diet/training/drugs that is slowly evolving into genetics/diet/drugs/drugs/drugs and I'm not entirely down with entering that sphere as a long-term training pursuit, despite having cycled myself.

I feel like powerlifting, and specifically raw competitive powerlifting, could give something a bit more "tangible" to myself and my long-term experience as a trainee while cultivating both my own physical and mental well-being.

That being said I'll certainly be keeping on an eye on the Cube logs; I'm currently running a hybridized 5/3/1-PHAT as I try to draw a little from both worlds; I suppose the question is then, can two birds (size and strength) be killed with one stone? That's what I'm hoping to potentially find in powerlifting.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In regards to your last comment: Two birds/one stone, size/strength....have you seen the top PL'ers? They're well conditioned, lean, and muscular. So absolutely-yes. Since you me mentioned 5/3/1, check out Jim Wendler's new book "Beyond 5/3/1" It's pretty awesome

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gotta jump in with Sean on this one. If you're looking for size/strength, google guys like

Dan Green
Stan Efferding
Konstantin Konstantinovs
Skinny Mark Bell
Vince Urbank
Eric Lilliebridge (keeping in mind he's 23 years old)
Brandon Lilly
Chuck Vogelpohl (before the meet day bloat)
Matt Kroc
Sam Byrd

That list could go on and on.

I also feel like it's easier to get into powerlifting. One could step on the platform at any stage of their development as a lifter, but I think it's fair to say that lots of people would be wary of stepping onstage if they weren't yet satisfied with their muscularity or bodyfat levels. I know I wouldn't.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good answers by these fellas. They help out A LOT.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pretty much all of the top-tier raw lifters are big and lean.

SPLocal

Awards
In regards to your last comment: Two birds/one stone, size/strength....have you seen the top PL'ers? They're well conditioned, lean, and muscular. So absolutely-yes. Since you me mentioned 5/3/1, check out Jim Wendler's new book "Beyond 5/3/1" It's pretty awesome
Gotta jump in with Sean on this one.

I also feel like it's easier to get into powerlifting. One could step on the platform at any stage of their development as a lifter, but I think it's fair to say that lots of people would be wary of stepping onstage if they weren't yet satisfied with their muscularity or bodyfat levels. I know I wouldn't.
Pretty much all of the top-tier raw lifters are big and lean.
Thanks for the feedback, all of you; and yes I've seen the beasts who could (and do) realistically transition from platform to stage and win shows, Konstantinovs, Kroc, and Lilly are my most admired, obviously for the strength, but for representing both sides of the spectrum when it comes to balancing strength/size/conditioning.

I have a bodybuilder's mentality when it comes to diet/conditioning, and that wouldn't change if I opt to enter powerlifting. Who doesn't want to be strong, big and lean to the best of their ability?

Herder hit the nail on the head with regards to stage anxieties, its something that I could see myself experiencing, but on the platform the dynamic just seems so different and much more personal, you compete against yourself.

Anyways carry on, I'll be following the log for sure.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
RE Squat

Warm up note-started adding the red mini band to my hypers on the second set

Squat-135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, + Belt 250 x 5(possible PR), +wraps 275 x 5(PR taped)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma08E9YOZUs
GMs to pins-Worked up to 185 x 5reps x 3 sets(last set taped)
1 Leg Angled Press-Plate Each side times 8el, 5el, 5el with little to no break
Cable Crunches/Side Bends-150 x 20reps x 4 sets/60 x 15es, 12es, 10es, 10es

Really awesome workout today. actually having my schedule allow 2 days of rest may have helped. I have my thoughts on the squat form, but if you guys have any pointers it would be appreciated. That was a very hard 5 for me. Still working on my wrapping technique.
This was my first time trying this GM variation. Felt like the pin was a hair low so it war hard, but up one felt too easy. Definitely nice for the rotation of GM madness.

I was supposed to do a lunge variation but I was smoked from the squats and GMs; hence the 1 leg angle press. Time to move up in weight on the cable crunch. Tomorrow is Bodybuilding and weakness training. I may not do a press outside of shoulder press to see if that helps with some of the soreness I get benching.

Tomorrow is the day America was birthed. 237 years old...doesn't seem a day over 200.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid work my man.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
BB + Weakpoint
7/4

Kroc Row-95 x 15ea(PR), 8
Hammer Curl w/Fat Gripz-40's x 6, 5, and 4 each arm
DB Shrugs-75's x 10reps x 3sets
HS Calf-6plates x 15reps x 6 sets
Chest Supported Row/Chest Supported Reverse Fly-90 x 4sets or 5reps/20's x 8, 5, 5
Leg Raises-4 sets of 10

Bench
Worked up to 185 x 5, 5, 5, 4, 3 all with pause
Close Grip Cable Rows/Faces Pulls(both on cybex)-Mystery weight x 4 sets on each exercise
Incline Rolling Tricep/TY-30's x 8, 7, 8, 6/20's x 8reps x 4sets

I think bench was going right today because even my legs felt sore by the end. I am making Sunday my bench day all the time because I can actually workout with some more experienced lifters on Sundays. I figure it is in my best interest to take that time.

Kinda short/sweet updates. Not much PC time lately.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh my god haha. I just watched this and when it gets to the Metallica part my hair literally stood on end. So motivating.
Yea it's a freaking awesome video

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's awesome that you're going to get to work with some strong and experienced guys on your bench. Should yield good results!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
RE Deads

Warm up-Rumble Roll-super set of 30 hypers/10 bw lunges each leg/10 air squats with a red band wrapped around my legs-hip opener routine with banded distractions

Pin Pulls-Worked up to-275 x 5, 3, +red mini x 3(taped), then 3 more quick singles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p8z-y3lUag
Reverse Box Lunge-BW x 10, BW+50lbs x 10reps x 4sets
Cable Crunch/Side Plank-160 x 12, 12, 12, 17/4 sets each side
leg raises-4sets of 12reps

This workout felt awesome. Added some bands...bc I wanted to. I was thinking about my last deadlift session and I got to thinking that...maybe it wasn't all the bar, maybe I am weaker from the shins up with out that power off the floor. I can see the bar making a difference, but not as drastic as it felt. To work on this more is is why I really added the bands. Main thing I am trying to do, and I haven't successfully on this day, is work on getting that last 6-8inches of the lift all with pulling the hips to the bar instead of using my upper back or more legs. It is in the tutorial I posted. It can take inches off the ROM. Still working on it. I did many sets to build up so I got a lot of practice.

Probably off until wednesday.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like the thoracic might be tight again. You usually get into better position on your sumo.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks like the thoracic might be tight again. You usually get into better position on your sumo.
Hmmm...I'll mash and stretch it all out. I noticed that some by the logo on my shirt. Having a little trouble keeping the shoulders back and grabbing the bar.

I'll tape again next week.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rodja, what's your go to method for thoracic mobility? I've just been messing around with a lacrosse ball/double lacrosse ball.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looked to me that the bar was out in front of ya a little bit too. Could be because of the bands, but I think you could have kept it tighter. That would have cleaned you up some and kept you back/tighter and let your hips drop a little as well.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looked to me that the bar was out in front of ya a little bit too. Could be because of the bands, but I think you could have kept it tighter. That would have cleaned you up some and kept you back/tighter and let your hips drop a little as well.
That does happen when I start breaking down. I've noticed that on a session awhile back. I'll keep it in mind next dead session. Pretty sure it's DE from the floor which is good and bad for form check(good bc from floor, bad bc light weights so easier to do right).

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yep. If form is breaking down keeping that bar as tight as F'n possible will help minimize it. Honestly if I had to pick the most important thing to teach/do when pulling that would be it. I'd love to discuss form with you more but I am a die hard conventional puller, as you know, and know about as much about sumo as anyone else, and probably less.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
DE Squats

Warm Up-rumble roller, 40 hypers, 15 BW lunges each leg, 20 air squats with red micro mini, Kelly Starret Hip Opener w/banded distractions

Box Squat-185 x 6sets of 2
Reverse Band(Red Mini doubled) Good Mornings-185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 3sets of 5(this was hard!)
HS Hack Squats-2plates x 6sets of 10reps switching from close/competition/wide stances
Cable Crunches-160 x 15reps x 5sets
Side Bends-70 x 3sets of 10reps each side

Killer ****ing workout! First time with 225 on my back for good mornings(well kinda) and it was rough! Doing box squats were really helping me load the hamstrings and sit back. They were hard. I did explode up but not at all down. I tried to video but it ended up a crotch shot sooo I don't like you guys that much. First time on Hack Squats in forever and they feel a lot like front squats...easier of course. Core getting stronger by the week.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's awesome, buddy! I tried reverse band GMs once, they're a good way to go for sure.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's awesome, buddy! I tried reverse band GMs once, they're a good way to go for sure.
Thanks man. Yea they are nice for getting used to more weight. I set it so it does close to nothing at the top.