Remember Me? The Swanson52 Log of PL Program Hopping.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

SQUATS
375x2x4
375x5

HACK SQUAT
185x8x4

INCLINE DB ROWS
65x8x4

DB SLDL
75x8x4

I’ve never done a hack squat til today. Def a different stimulus, I was weak af.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
New low of 271.0 yesterday, 279.8 today post load.

Nothin but some 15 min HIIT and 15 min LISS today. Deads tomorrow.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are going to crack 260’s in a week or two!
I’m hoping man! Skip was thinking by the end of the month, but last week I had 2 **** days so it kinda threw me off. I’m fuckin trying!! Lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m hoping man! Skip was thinking by the end of the month, but last week I had 2 **** days so it kinda threw me off. I’m fuckin trying!! Lol.
Stick to the script and you will get exactly what you have been working for

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

DEADS
345x3x5
I thought the plates at the fitness center looked like they were smaller in diameter, so I looked them up. They’re 17”, and standard Olympic weights should be around 17.7”. So I’m deficit deadlifting I guess. 🤷

RACK PULLS, ABOVE THE KNEE
225x8x4

LEG CURLS
?x8x4

SHRUGS
275x10x4

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Gonna feel so easy when you go to a meet with a deadlift bar and calibrated plates!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gonna feel so easy when you go to a meet with a deadlift bar and calibrated plates!
Right? I actually will only be at this gym another week and a half. We had a layover in a small town while we wait for our apartment. I’ll be back to normal **** in a couple weeks. Couple micros of deficits though!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

INCLINE SWISS BAR
70x35x2
For some reason, incline DBs with palms facing hurt my shoulder, but the Swiss bar does not. 🤷 I’m just doing stuff that doesn’t hurt right now.

PULL-UPS
BWx8x4

ROLLING TRICEP PRESS
35x10x4

CABLE FACE PULLS
45x30x5

Easy day, relatively speaking. Squats tomorrow. Work kinda fucked up my training this week.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
275.6 post load

SQUATS
380x2x4
380x8
I know I’m supposed to cap at 5, but they felt good.

HACK
190x8x4

DB INCLINE ROW
65x8x4

DB SLDL
75x8x4

I also threw in 30x4 face pulls. I honestly think increasing the volume with those is helping my shoulder. It’s feeling better every week, and I’m doing rows and/or face pulls and shoulder stuff every training day.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Pretty “meh” day.

SWISS BAR BENCH
225x2x4
225x5

CGBP 2BD
195x8x4

BB ROWS
195x8x4

Hammer curls, 100 face pulls, rope tricep pressdowns.

Nothing to see here today.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hell yeah!!! Great work. Your consistency sticking to Skip’s plan is getting you results. I’ve always heard good things about him.
Honestly Skip nailed my plan from the start. The only adjustments we’ve made are to load times. My macros are dead ass on.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So 5thSet gurus-

USPA is planning a meet in Nebraska for mid-late March of 2021. I should be good with pressing by then, so I plan to compete. I’ll complete diet on 11:15, I’ll complete my 1st macrocycle around 12/25 (if I don’t fail out), which would give me 11-14 weeks of 5thSet going into the meet.

I’ve bent Sean’s ear about this, but I’m thinking even though I can squat 405 for 7, that doesn’t mean I can actualize a 490 pound squat. Would the 5th set peak still work for me, even though I haven’t actually squatted that weight? My thought is I’d need time under progressively heavier weights to actually get a feel for the 450+, over the course of a few weeks. I’ll re-read the peak section of Evolutions, but I don’t believe it addresses this concern.

Thoughts?

@Hyde
@jswain34
@SkRaw85

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It does get addressed thankfully! Swede basically says for 9/10 lifters, they don’t have a problem going from 75-80% work to the 100% effort the first week of the 36 day peaking cycle (this day isn’t about any particular number; it’s about maxing out to set your peak and calculate numbers for meet attempts). You just flip the switch and lay it down.

Now, for the remaining folks who need more spool up, you can utilize the Extended Peaking Cycle in Evolutions to touch 90% the week before you push 100%. I essentially did this last winter just for squat, squatting 495x2 (in lieu of my 5th Set training) a week before the 100% week where I hit 540, then tapering back down. I did not utilize it this summer and did not feel like I needed it. I did do a lot of self-talk and visualization to ingrain my belief that I was a 600lb squatter, so when the 100% day came I went into the gym and squat 600 having never gone over 450x10 the entire training cycle.

It comes down to self-belief. I think any decent powerlifter should be attempting bigger weights in contest than the gym - often weights they’ve never done ever. That doesn’t mean they can’t do it!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Woof...im most definitely far from a guru here. I feel like what I’m hearing you say is that you want more time under loads around 90% or more. If you feel like you truly NEED that, then you can go with the extended peaking mesocycle Swede lays out in evolutions. Although, remember, he says 80-90% wont need that and those that do are more likely to be elite athletes.

I personally would prefer more than 3 weeks to get good at singles and would likely want at least 6 weeks of working up to a top single @92-95% (toggling intensities week by week) in 1 lift per training session. I like preparing myself to hold the weight on my back or in my hands and working in those intensity ranges gets me mentally ready to go balls to the wall on meet day with zero mental reservation. This method of peaking comes from the days I ran a ton of RTS programming and its the only way ive ever peaked, so I’m slightly biased in that.

To address your final paragraph, youre working up to a circa max on the first microcycle of the peak so it really doesnt matter what your e1rm is as its only there to act as a ballpark for what you should be shooting for.

Edit: hyde beat me to it. Luckily we said similar things lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also, when I do the 100% peaking week, I give myself every advantage to do my best that week those 3 days. I prioritize sleep and rest outside of work entirely. I eat seriously hard and bloat as much as possible for squat and bench, maxing out carbs and sodium and being in a caloric surplus same as if I was competing next day. I use ammonia, I take whatever stimulants I will be using at contest like ephedrine, I do extra mobility and really prepare my body beforehand. I have a structured attempt plan and make calculated jumps so I do not miss, and I have a goal based on my rep-based e1RM.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It does get addressed thankfully! Swede basically says for 9/10 lifters, they don’t have a problem going from 75-80% work to the 100% effort the first week of the 36 day peaking cycle (this day isn’t about any particular number; it’s about maxing out to set your peak and calculate numbers for meet attempts). You just flip the switch and lay it down.

Now, for the remaining folks who need more spool up, you can utilize the Extended Peaking Cycle in Evolutions to touch 90% the week before you push 100%. I essentially did this last winter just for squat, squatting 495x2 (in lieu of my 5th Set training) a week before the 100% week where I hit 540, then tapering back down. I did not utilize it this summer and did not feel like I needed it. I did do a lot of self-talk and visualization to ingrain my belief that I was a 600lb squatter, so when the 100% day came I went into the gym and squat 600 having never gone over 450x10 the entire training cycle.

It comes down to self-belief. I think any decent powerlifter should be attempting bigger weights in contest than the gym - often weights they’ve never done ever. That doesn’t mean they can’t do it!
I did read Evolutions, and kind of dismissed the extended peaking cycle due to the fact he states it’s mostly elite athletes that need it.

2 things I thought about regarding my part in this; 1) I’m in deficit, and calling it at 5 reps for the AMRAP. I’m not getting the time/reps under the bar that I would in maintenance or surplus. That leads me to 2) don’t peak/compete in deficit.

In light of that, after this macro, I’ll prob just test AMRAP sets and use the coefficient in book one to see if I’ve gotten anywhere. I’ll then slide into reverse diet/maintenance and tackle a 11-14 week peak going into the meet. If you think that idea is trash, straighten me out.

Thanks for replying man, your insight has really helped me get comfortable and understand this methodology!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do not start pushing the AMRAPs until you are eating enough. You don’t need a test week - every 5th Set done normally as an AMRAP is an autoregulated testing. And if the weight is way too light, and you get 13 reps, that’s not a bad problem to find and definitely means you are getting stronger.

So, just follow the program is my advice, essentially

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do not start pushing the AMRAPs until you are eating enough. You don’t need a test week - every 5th Set done normally as an AMRAP is an autoregulated testing. And if the weight is way too light, and you get 13 reps, that’s not a bad problem to find and definitely means you are getting stronger.

So, just follow the program is my advice, essentially
:lol: I meant test the AMRAP at the end of the macro and just see where I’m at. Not AMRAPS during the micro. But I get what you’re saying homey.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also of note; started NPP Sunday at 150g/week. I know it’s low, but I am new to this stuff so I want to see how I respond. Just trying to maintain muscle as my cut gets a little tougher. Test is 350mg. My weight bounced up a bit today, but I’m sure in a few weeks that’ll fall off.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
:lol: I meant test the AMRAP at the end of the macro and just see where I’m at. Not AMRAPS during the micro. But I get what you’re saying homey.
No I get you, and I am telling you my advice is NOT to deviate from the script. It does not matter how great your absolute strength is right now. It only matters in the 100% peak week and at contest. The goal for now is to maintain your muscle mass, technical proficiency and strength to the greatest degree while lowering bodyfat, so when you reverse into a surplus you will have the best foundation possible. THAT will be the time when you will be building your pyramid towards the peak.

Also, keep us updated on the NPP - never used it but very interested to eventually.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So we’re calling a diet audible. I’ve got 10 weeks left with Skip, but after 8 months in deficit, I need a break. I’ve eaten like a normal human the last 3 days, and I’m holding around 272.

We’re going to get to maintenance and use the NPP as a tool to recomp at 275.

Bring on the gainzzzzz.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Woof...im most definitely far from a guru here. I feel like what I’m hearing you say is that you want more time under loads around 90% or more. If you feel like you truly NEED that, then you can go with the extended peaking mesocycle Swede lays out in evolutions. Although, remember, he says 80-90% wont need that and those that do are more likely to be elite athletes.

I personally would prefer more than 3 weeks to get good at singles and would likely want at least 6 weeks of working up to a top single @92-95% (toggling intensities week by week) in 1 lift per training session. I like preparing myself to hold the weight on my back or in my hands and working in those intensity ranges gets me mentally ready to go balls to the wall on meet day with zero mental reservation. This method of peaking comes from the days I ran a ton of RTS programming and its the only way ive ever peaked, so I’m slightly biased in that.

To address your final paragraph, youre working up to a circa max on the first microcycle of the peak so it really doesnt matter what your e1rm is as its only there to act as a ballpark for what you should be shooting for.

Edit: hyde beat me to it. Luckily we said similar things lol.
Thanks for your insight man. I like working up to that ~100% single as well, with intensity building over several weeks. I’ll see how things progress.

Thank you.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Load yesterday (and kinda the 2 days before that), 277.4.

Skip hit me with new macros for maintenance/recomp.

Training days
270p
230c
72f

Non
270p
140c
96f

It’s about a 350cal increase over my diet macros the last 4 months.

First impression of NPP...get ready to be fucking hungry.

We’ve been moving into our apt since Friday, so no gym the last few days. Deadlifts tomorrow then back on track.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
275.6 yesterday
273.2 today

Yesterday’s session

DEADLIFTS
350x3x5

RACK PULL ABOVE THE KNEE
230x8x4

GHR

SHRUG
230x10x4

100 reps face pulls. Decent session.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Holding steady at 273.something.

I found a gym. Not a gym, but a GYM. 5 Sorinex racks, with jammer arms and belt squat attachment. Kabuki bars-transformer, power, Duffalo and trap. GHR. Prowlers, 3 of em. I found the grail, fellas.

Secondary bench today.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Holding steady at 273.something.

I found a gym. Not a gym, but a GYM. 5 Sorinex racks, with jammer arms and belt squat attachment. Kabuki bars-transformer, power, Duffalo and trap. GHR. Prowlers, 3 of em. I found the grail, fellas.

Secondary bench today.
We’ll arent you in hog heaven! Nice score man. Nothing like an awesome place to train surrounded by people also focused on strength to really kick your gains into gear.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We’ll arent you in hog heaven! Nice score man. Nothing like an awesome place to train surrounded by people also focused on strength to really kick your gains into gear.
I’m hoping. I’m on a reverse diet now so I’m going to start pushing reps on my amraps, and training around other powerlifter has yielded great things for me in the past.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Kinda discouraging day from a shoulder perspective; I had to back way off on incline DB presses, and I needed a band for dips. One step back, 2 forward I’m hoping.

INCLINE NG DB PRESS
25x35x2

BW PULL UPS

DIPS
+Green bandx8x4

120 face pulls, some tricep stuff.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

SQUATS
385x2x4
385x6 RPE 9

SSB
225x8x4

120 face pulls.

I’m dumb, and couldn’t figure out the powerblock dumbbells to do rows, so I called it.

Overall I’m pretty happy with today. I think I’m getting stronger, and I’m gaining confidence in my squat every week. This is the last squat session of the microcycle, so deload next session.

I ate 300g post workout carbs yesterday and lost .8 pounds. Lol.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Post refeed yesterday 277.8, 276.4 today

BENCH
255x2x4
255x5

CGBP 2BD
200x8x4

That’s all I got done. I’m working day shift for a couple weeks, and didn’t budget enough time before work. I’ll go in tomorrow and finish up.

For the first time in weeks, my shoulder and bicep tendon kept it together almost the whole session. No pain on bench, and I made it through 2 full sets on CG before I started to feel discomfort. I’ll chalk that up as a win.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One thing I forgot to note; I usually self-handoff, and I notice that aggravates my shoulder. New gym has the rogue mono attachments, so I was able to just press, then rack. Maybe it’s a thing, I dunno.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

DEADLIFT
355x3x5

RACK PULL
230x8x4

SHRUG
230x8x4

GHR
BWx8x4, BWx6

FACE PULLS
100x25x5

Pretty good session today. Deadlifts moved faster than they have in a couple weeks. The speed/technique protocol was very necessary for me in this movement, and it’s paying dividends. Secondary bench either tomorrow or Saturday, then deload.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dropping the NPP. Psychological sides are getting unmanageable. I’ll just be on TRT for a while.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Uh oh, like what (if you wish to discuss it of course)?
No prob. I’m getting very insecure and jealous with my wife, I’m more anxious, and I’m becoming increasingly more compulsive. In my case, that manifests itself with spending money where/when I shouldn’t be. My judgement is shitty.

I already struggle with some mental illness which I’m medicated for, but this seems to be exacerbating what I already deal with.

I read a thread on NPP on reddit just in the last couple days, and many users echo these sentiments. Physically I have no sides, but mentally it’s fucking me up.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are there any good Apple bar speed apps?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No prob. I’m getting very insecure and jealous with my wife, I’m more anxious, and I’m becoming increasingly more compulsive. In my case, that manifests itself with spending money where/when I shouldn’t be. My judgement is shitty.

I already struggle with some mental illness which I’m medicated for, but this seems to be exacerbating what I already deal with.

I read a thread on NPP on reddit just in the last couple days, and many users echo these sentiments. Physically I have no sides, but mentally it’s fucking me up.
Yeah that definitely sounds like it’s not your cup of tea! Not worth it. Better off trying something else.

Are there any good Apple bar speed apps?
I don’t know any, but I know Kabuki Strength has published some articles on whatever application Chris Duffin used successfully.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Finally back in the gym, 277.4 post load.

INCLINE DB BENCH
30x35x2

PULL UPS
BWx8x5

FACE PULLS
90x25x4

PROWLER ROUNDS
+130x3

Couldn’t do dips because of the shoulder. **** is frustrating.

Deload for the next 4 sessions.