Remember Me? The Swanson52 Log of PL Program Hopping.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
280.2 today.

CGBP 2 Board
205x8x4
The bicep tendon felt a little sketchy on the higher volume stuff. Reps 5-8 were not bad, just not great.

DIPS
BWx8x4

PULL UPS
BWx8,8,7,7

100 reps banded face pulls.

Done in 45 min, warm up to walking out. Can’t beat that.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Let me know what your experience with the shoulder saver pad is. Been thinking about adding one to my list of things I wanna get. Anyone have any experience with both the shoulder saver pad and bench blockz? Comparisons? Seems like the bench blockz are more versatile but for some reason im leaning shoulder saver.
I'll second that and say bench blocks are good. Versatile. Lasts forever. I've seen EFS shoulder savers get torn up and worn out. I've seen bench blocks kickin' for much longer.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
280.2 today.

CGBP 2 Board
205x8x4
The bicep tendon felt a little sketchy on the higher volume stuff. Reps 5-8 were not bad, just not great.

DIPS
BWx8x4

PULL UPS
BWx8,8,7,7

100 reps banded face pulls.

Done in 45 min, warm up to walking out. Can’t beat that.
Those short sessions are always refreshing and welcomed.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those short sessions are always refreshing and welcomed.
Ya man the 5th Set upper body stuff has been quick. The lower is longer because I’m freakin 45 and have to warm up for 5 minutes short of eternity.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used the bench blokz today and it worked fine. I might cancel and order the 2-5 bd bench blokz honestly. More versatile.
I'll second that and say bench blocks are good. Versatile. Lasts forever. I've seen EFS shoulder savers get torn up and worn out. I've seen bench blocks kickin' for much longer.
Awesome. Thanks y’all. Glad I asked. Dont have to deal with EFS’ outrageous shipping this way either.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ya man the 5th Set upper body stuff has been quick. The lower is longer because I’m freakin 45 and have to warm up for 5 minutes short of eternity.
This is why I normally do the back & bicep work on upper days. Otherwise upper days are fast as hell, and the lower days are seriously unfinishable. I need about 30 min to get warmed up for lower, then squat for an hour, then accessory squat, and be exhausted because it was 2 hours already. I didn’t have the steam to then train upper back, traps, legpress, reverse hyper, calves, biceps. That’s a 4 hour session if you even have the energy to complete it! GTFO of here with that crap, Swede. I ain’t tryin to have 2 goddamn strongman event days every microcycle.

Awesome. Thanks y’all. Glad I asked. Dont have to deal with EFS’ outrageous shipping this way either.
Had my bench blokz forever, like 6 years; super durable and versatile and look same as first day. Great product.

I bought the 1/2-1Board as well within the last year I liked the 2-5 so much.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just bought the 2-5 board off amazon - free shipping that’ll be here saturday vs EFS’ 15$ shipping = no brainer. Also agree that the time discrepancy between the upper/lower sessions is insane. AM’s new rendition of 5th set where some of the accessories programmed for the lower days are moved to the upper days will be far superior!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just bought the 2-5 board off amazon - free shipping that’ll be here saturday vs EFS’ 15$ shipping = no brainer. Also agree that the time discrepancy between the upper/lower sessions is insane. AM’s new rendition of 5th set where some of the accessories programmed for the lower days are moved to the upper days will be far superior!
What’s this new rendition you speak of?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What’s this new rendition you speak of?
The one we’re all going to start using where we do the some of the rows and curls on the upper days vs the lower days where they’re programmed by Swede.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The one we’re all going to start using where we do the some of the rows and curls on the upper days vs the lower days where they’re programmed by Swede.
Lol ohhhh I gotcha!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol ohhhh I gotcha!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don’t know if any of you saw Swede’s AMA on Instagram today, but he didn’t have anything good to say about the deficit DL as a MSM or an accessory.

Thoughts on replacing it? Do it? Leave it?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don’t know if any of you saw Swede’s AMA on Instagram today, but he didn’t have anything good to say about the deficit DL as a MSM or an accessory.

Well, I assume he doesnt include them on the MSM training means list in evolutions for a reason...if I were to find a spot for them it would be in the “mesosycle 3 (strength)” subset. So if you’re going to be using the MSM strength protocol, which he says you really shouldn’t be unless youre gearing up for a meet soon (which i know youve talked about, but don’t remember exactly where that stands) then I’d skip em for now. I most definitely wouldnt do them as an accessory, if theres any place for them its as an MSM and with a slight deficit...nothing crazy.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I assume he doesnt include them on the MSM training means list in evolutions for a reason...if I were to find a spot for them it would be in the “mesosycle 3 (strength)” subset. So if you’re going to be using the MSM strength protocol, which he says you really shouldn’t be unless youre gearing up for a meet soon (which i know youve talked about, but don’t remember exactly where that stands) then I’d skip em for now. I most definitely wouldnt do them as an accessory, if theres any place for them its as an MSM and with a slight deficit...nothing crazy.
Excellent feedback. I appreciate that.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I’ll not think I know better than Swede, and follow the MSM means list (hyper/hyper/strength) with rack pulls instead of deficits. @jswain34 has shown me the light.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I mean I have read both the method books 2-3 times in completion and try to watch every podcast or anything released with him to understand his ideology as well as possible. 5th Set has proven itself 3x in a row for me personally, & I think a lot of his methods are based in both science and obvious widespread success - things like block periodization/progressive sport specificity within the macrocycle, never leaving the comp movements entirely, longterm delayed training effect LTDE based-peaking, autoregulation.

The guy has experimented a lot over time, and nothing at all has been suggested without thought. For example, pull-ups are after deadlifts because they help traction the back. Barbell rows are important, but after lots of pulling the last thing most guys are able to manage is more bent over pulling.

Swede said he has done upper back work on upper days instead and it worked fine, he just prefers to put it on lower days and keep upper days easier.

The big thing to consider is the goal of the earlier mesocycles’s MSM is to build more muscle specific to the big 3 movements. So there needs to be significant volume accomplished. If I was going to try using deficits, I would keep them on the light end. Consider that you will never ever have to pull that far down in a comp, so that is less specific than a rack or block pull (which is in a range you will ALWAYS have to pull through). I would say unless you are glaringly weak off the floor, it’s probably not the best choice. Also consider that paused or tempo leg presses can be used to build that starting muscle as a general accessory anyway (one of his recommended ones).

If you do go with them, I subscribe to the Paul Carter ideology that you should just stand on the smooth side of a plate. Any bigger deficit really begins to change your body position away from your comp pull. Big deficits are good for bodybuilding and strongman, but they definitely aren’t specific to powerlifting.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I mean I have read both the method books 2-3 times in completion and try to watch every podcast or anything released with him to understand his ideology as well as possible. 5th Set has proven itself 3x in a row for me personally, & I think a lot of his methods are based in both science and obvious widespread success - things like block periodization/progressive sport specificity within the macrocycle, never leaving the comp movements entirely, longterm delayed training effect LTDE based-peaking, autoregulation.

The guy has experimented a lot over time, and nothing at all has been suggested without thought. For example, pull-ups are after deadlifts because they help traction the back. Barbell rows are important, but after lots of pulling the last thing most guys are able to manage is more bent over pulling.

Swede said he has done upper back work on upper days instead and it worked fine, he just prefers to put it on lower days and keep upper days easier.

The big thing to consider is the goal of the earlier mesocycles’s MSM is to build more muscle specific to the big 3 movements. So there needs to be significant volume accomplished. If I was going to try using deficits, I would keep them on the light end. Consider that you will never ever have to pull that far down in a comp, so that is less specific than a rack or block pull (which is in a range you will ALWAYS have to pull through). I would say unless you are glaringly weak off the floor, it’s probably not the best choice. Also consider that paused or tempo leg presses can be used to build that starting muscle as a general accessory anyway (one of his recommended ones).

If you do go with them, I subscribe to the Paul Carter ideology that you should just stand on the smooth side of a plate. Any bigger deficit really begins to change your body position away from your comp pull. Big deficits are good for bodybuilding and strongman, but they definitely aren’t specific to powerlifting.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Damn, man. GREAT post. I really thank you for your insight.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had physical therapy yesterday. We talked pressing, and I’m on the right track there, but he also stated he wants me to row 2:1 ratio pull/push. So with 3 pressing exercises, I’m going to incorporate 6 row variations. I know this isn’t purely 5th set, but I need the rehab work.

Also-275.0 this morning. 275 marks exactly 50 pounds of weight loss since 2/20. I’m excited to see that number.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had physical therapy yesterday. We talked pressing, and I’m on the right track there, but he also stated he wants me to row 2:1 ratio pull/push. So with 3 pressing exercises, I’m going to incorporate 6 row variations. I know this isn’t purely 5th set, but I need the rehab work.

Also-275.8 this morning. 275 marks exactly 50 pounds of weight loss since 2/20. I’m excited to see that number.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Also-275.0 this morning. 275 marks exactly 50 pounds of weight loss since 2/20. I’m excited to see that number.
You could do 3x20 band pull aparts or facepulls in your warmup every time you train (aside from the second pressing day where youre already doing 90-105 pull aparts) on top of the regularly rxd rowing and youre already >200 reps for “rowing” (anti pressing) vs 100 pressing work reps per microcycle. I prefer to look at it on a reps vs reps basis vs a # of exercises vs # of exercises. Maybe run that by him. Realistically you could do 3x20 band PAs & FPs on off days even and get that to a 3:1 ratio.

Itd be very tough for me to tell someone they should horizontally row less, but if you do add in more exercises just be careful to make sure the ones you choose dont push your lumbar past its recoverability limits when added to the regular 5th set work.

Congrats on that weight loss! Thats huge in just over 5 months. Very impressive.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Let me know what your experience with the shoulder saver pad is. Been thinking about adding one to my list of things I wanna get. Anyone have any experience with both the shoulder saver pad and bench blockz? Comparisons? Seems like the bench blockz are more versatile but for some reason im leaning shoulder saver.
I have used both. Bench blocks a good replacement for blocks if you want 1-3 board options, set up is iffy if they arnt squared right upon unrack (I would make my own and had a buddy do it in the past), shoulder saver is super easy to use but it only a two board height, if that is the board you want and you want a soft touch and more natural feel then get that.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You could do 3x20 band pull aparts or facepulls in your warmup every time you train (aside from the second pressing day where youre already doing 90-105 pull aparts) on top of the regularly rxd rowing and youre already >200 reps for “rowing” (anti pressing) vs 100 pressing work reps per microcycle. I prefer to look at it on a reps vs reps basis vs a # of exercises vs # of exercises. Maybe run that by him. Realistically you could do 3x20 band PAs & FPs on off days even and get that to a 3:1 ratio.

Itd be very tough for me to tell someone they should horizontally row less, but if you do add in more exercises just be careful to make sure the ones you choose dont push your lumbar past its recoverability limits when added to the regular 5th set work.

Congrats on that weight loss! Thats huge in just over 5 months. Very impressive.
I was thinking all of this. The volume ratio is what your therapist is likely after.

Congrats on such a big milestone! What you are doing is working so stay with it.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Congrats man that’s big numbers down!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for all the advice on pulling volume, and thanks for the well wishes on weight loss!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not a bad day. Down to 273.2, but it’s not fat loss; I’m on an antibiotic, and even though I’m taking a probiotic with it, I’m still in the bathroom 3-4 times/day.

SQUAT
370x2x4
370x5.

Sean told me that Swede says to cap the AMRAP at 5 in deficit, and he reiterated that on Instagram. So, that’s what I’m doing.

TRANSFORMER BAR
275x8x4

INCLINE DB ROWS
60x8x4

DB SLDL
70x8x4

100 band face pulls, 80 pull aparts.

Fun.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ordered the Titan SSB. It ships 9/4. I tried to give EliteFTS my business, but I want a bar.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
180 reps between FPs and PAs....bet your rear delts were on fire!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Excited for the Safety Bar!

He definitely talks about hydration, lackn of warmup, and pushing too hard in a deficit as the major contributors to injury with training.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Supposed to bench tomorrow, but we’ll be busy with my daughter’s senior pics, packing, moving the next 3 days, so I benched today.

BENCH
245x2,2,2,2
245x5
I might change my comp width to the grip I used today. Felt good, shoulder didn’t have a single issue. Just a thumb length from the smooth.

CGBP 2bd
190x8x4
I moved these back to main bench day as prescribed in the program.

BB ROW
190x8x4

HAMMER CURL
35x8x4

DB SKULLCRUSHERS
35x8x4

Encouraging day for bench.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You’re gonna like it. I paid $50 for mine back when and still don’t regret it!
Ya man I’m excited for this and the SSB. I’ve been using it and I’m really pleased with it. Handy as hell.

273.2 today. Might get to the 260’s this month!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got the bod pod done this morning. In 12 weeks, I’ve lost 17.3 pounds of fat (82.3 to 65.0), ive gained .3 pounds of lean mass (207.3 to 207.6), and reduced my bodyfat percentage from 28 to 23.

Tell me it’s not about nutrition.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Back at it after 3 days of loading a house in a uhaul, driving 10 hours, then unloading. Ughhhh. FML.

DEADS
340x3x5

RACK PULLS
405x8x4

SHRUGS
275x10x4

LEG CURL
?x8x4

Also-I’m staying in a tiny town in Nebraska of about 1000 people, and they have a little community fitness center. Of all the things one of these places could have, this one had a black zinc Texas Power Bar. Win!

Last edited:
SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Jealous! I wanna gtfo of the city and back to the woods. That’s a score on that bar!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on surviving the move, and getting your pulls in! That bar is gonna be nifty.

Your rackpulls are too heavy if you’re trying to follow the 5th Set methodology. Idk if you have read the second book, but the MSMs are to be a lower % of your training max than the comp work. So you get to move lighter weights as you fatigue through the session. Swede usually recommends 50-60% for the hypertrophy blocks (sets of 10-15 usually) and strength blocks around 70% of comp (except SSB or Frontsquat, you need to base your numbers off your estimated max for those because they’ll be so much lower).

Or you could raise your floor weight

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congrats on surviving the move, and getting your pulls in! That bar is gonna be nifty.

Your rackpulls are too heavy if you’re trying to follow the 5th Set methodology. Idk if you have read the second book, but the MSMs are to be a lower % of your training max than the comp work. So you get to move lighter weights as you fatigue through the session. Swede usually recommends 50-60% for the hypertrophy blocks (sets of 10-15 usually) and strength blocks around 70% of comp (except SSB or Frontsquat, you need to base your numbers off your estimated max for those because they’ll be so much lower).

Or you could raise your floor weight
Well **** I must’ve missed that. They sucked bad so I’ll welcome dropping them to the 250 range! Thanks for the guidance homey!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well **** I must’ve missed that. They sucked bad so I’ll welcome dropping them to the 250 range! Thanks for the guidance homey!
Yeah my floor was 470 using 75% and my 4.5” Blockpulls was to be 385 for like 3x12-15.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

INCLINE DB PRESS
30x35x2

BW PULL UP
BWx8,8,8,6,6

BW DIPS

CABLE FACE PULLS
30x50,50,50

BAND PULL APARTS
REDx30x2

Done.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

SQUATS
375x2x4
375x5

HACK SQUAT
185x8x4

INCLINE DB ROWS
55x8x4

DB SLDL
55x8x4

I’ve never done a hack squat til today. Def a different stimulus, I was weak af.