Remember Me? The Swanson52 Log of PL Program Hopping.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
281.6. Holding a little post-squat fluid.

DB SHOULDER
60x8x5

DB INCLINE
70x10x5

SS

MEADOWS ROW
85x10x5

FACE PULLS
70x25x5

Ran outta time. No bis or tris today.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah! **** that shoulder surgery! Glad to see it man
Thank you! Ya I’ve got like 3.5-4 weeks from being released fully, but I’m ok to press as long as I’m not uncomfortable. For instance, bench felt great, but incline db was not awesome. Almost there...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMG_2436.JPG

Just a little post surgery meet in March. I’m not going to push bench, but I want to compete badly.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
12 weeks isn’t a long time - play it smart and just have fun! Enjoy the rebuilding process. I actually really did after my bicep surgery.
For sure. I’m going to push squat and deadlift and just land where I land on bench.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For sure. I’m going to push squat and deadlift and just land where I land on bench.
I know this is obvious, but watch the shoulder torque on squat. Wide grip, high bar, or whatever you need to keep things happy up there.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know this is obvious, but watch the shoulder torque on squat. Wide grip, high bar, or whatever you need to keep things happy up there.
I’m actually already a high bar squatter, and I have widened my grip, so good call. Thanks sir.

I couldn’t do low bar without a Duffalo even before I got hurt.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m actually already a high bar squatter, and I have widened my grip, so good call. Thanks sir.

I couldn’t do low bar without a Duffalo even before I got hurt.
You’re not what anyone would really call “a small man”

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

First heavy squat in 10 weeks. I’m getting there.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi bar game looking strong
Thanks man, feeling pretty good right now. My best squat this year was 405x6, 2 days before I tore my cuff. I’ll get there.

#RoadTo800

LOLOL

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That set looked like you had 2, maybe 3 left in you. I know true rpe isnt easy to tell as an outsider watching a video, but thats what it looked like to me.

Nice set bud.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That set looked like you had 2, maybe 3 left in you. I know true rpe isnt easy to tell as an outsider watching a video, but thats what it looked like to me.

Nice set bud.
Thanks man, I thought they were grinding, but the vid showed otherwise. I’d prob put that at an RPE 8, don’t you think?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I got pretty good maxes this weekend. My squat should be about 445-450. Today I pulled 525, and it legit moved like a second attempt, and I’m very excited about that number, 11 weeks after surgery.

I’m starting my meet prep next week, so I’ll log that stuff just to entertain you guys with old man shenanigans.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks man, I thought they were grinding, but the vid showed otherwise. I’d prob put that at an RPE 8, don’t you think?
Yup, 7.5-8 from the vid. Obviously true RPE isnt based on video and more about the lifter’s feel. I typically will only adjust by a 0.5 increment based on video, if I adjust the rpe in my log book at all.

So I got pretty good maxes this weekend. My squat should be about 445-450. Today I pulled 525, and it legit moved like a second attempt, and I’m very excited about that number, 11 weeks after surgery.

I’m starting my meet prep next week, so I’ll log that stuff just to entertain you guys with old man shenanigans.
Hell yah. Pumped fo’ it.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yup, 7.5-8 from the vid. Obviously true RPE isnt based on video and more about the lifter’s feel. I typically will only adjust by a 0.5 increment based on video, if I adjust the rpe in my log book at all.

Hell yah. Pumped fo’ it.
I’m a “slow” lifter, so when things feel slower than usual I think I’m grinding. Hard feeling to explain I guess. Not enough conjugate speed days. Lol.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First day of meet prep today.

SQUATS
265x10x2
290x8x2
310x6x2

SSB
225x4x4

INCLINE ROWS W/KABUKI TRAP BAR
+60x10x5

CGBP
145x10x2

GHR
BWx12x3

I have a shoulder and lat exercise programmed as well, but I hit some of each at PT before the gym. Between PT and the gym, I exercised for 3 fucking hours. That’s broken down, forever warm up, old man ****.

Kabuki trap bar rows-

I’m using the Carbon Diet Coach for nutrition, I’m going to try eating at maintenance and see where I get. Not actively trying to gain or lose. Also on 450mg/week test.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Day 2

DEADS
335x4x5

2” DEFICIT
315x4x5

RDL
185x12x2

BENCH
160x10
170x8
185x6

I set my max at a conservative 275. These were easy, but I’m not going to push unnecessarily.

HAMMER CURLS
45x12x3

STRAIGHT BAR CABLE TRICEP PD
110x12x3

IMG_2461.JPG

That’s quality work for a fat guy. Love it.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another meet popped up for 3/27 thats 40 miles from home, so I’ll be doing that one instead of the 3/14 meet. JP Price is putting it on, it’s an untested USPA meet.

I restarted my prep to coincide with the new date, and today is day 1 (again).

SQUAT
325x5
305x5x4

COMP BENCH
195x3x3

SPLIT SQUAT
12x3

GHR
12x2

LATERAL LUNGES
12x3

AB WHEEL.

Donezo.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work. JP seems like a nice dude. Also, I always assume a USPA meet is untested, unless stated otherwise I really like how they generally run them.

Are you going 308?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice work. JP seems like a nice dude. Also, I always assume a USPA meet is untested, unless stated otherwise I really like how they generally run them.

Are you going 308?
Ya, I’m hovering between 285 and 292 depending on the day, so I’m just going to go 308. I’ll reassess after the meet and see where I’m going.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ya, I’m hovering between 285 and 292 depending on the day, so I’m just going to go 308. I’ll reassess after the meet and see where I’m going.
Really nice not to have to cut. I don’t know if I see the point unless it’s you can set a record or you are chasing Elite which is lower at a lighter class and that’s easier with a cut than adding 50lb more to the total.

I only need 100 more lbs on my total to do elite at 242, but I weigh that currently. I need 150 more lbs for elite at 275 and I can gain 40 more lbs to do it lol

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really nice not to have to cut. I don’t know if I see the point unless it’s you can set a record or you are chasing Elite which is lower at a lighter class and that’s easier with a cut than adding 50lb more to the total.

I only need 100 more lbs on my total to do elite at 242, but I weigh that currently. I need 150 more lbs for elite at 275 and I can gain 40 more lbs to do it lol
Ya my days of totaling elite are probably gone. The Nebraska USPA open 308 records are attainable though. No big deal, just kinda cool.

I say pack on 40 homey!! 275’s are calling your name!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ya my days of totaling elite are probably gone. The Nebraska USPA open 308 records are attainable though. No big deal, just kinda cool.

I say pack on 40 homey!! 275’s are calling your name!!
That would be cool! That’s the plan. That’s why I am trying to get leaner right now. So I can grow better. I will get fatter doing it, but the more I can gain as muscle vs fat will help me in the long run & I figure I can spend a few years to do it. I did 617/369/617 for 1,603. I figure I need to get to around 670/410/670 to make the 1,750, or some variation thereof (650/400/700, etc).

40lbs in 4 years is only 10lbs a year!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty solid day. Big shoulder progress, I was able to do band assisted dips, incline DB press and OHP with no pain. I’m weak AF, but I can do them.

WIDE GRIP BENCH
185x5x4

TRAP BAR ROWS
220x12x2

INCLINE DB PRESS
45x12x2

OHP
95x12x2

HAMMER CURLS
50x12x2

DIPS
Bandx12x2

Progress.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Slow and steady...anyone who says 5lbs a week isn’t moving fast hasn’t realized that is 260lbs in a year.
100% man. I’ll get there eventually.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Things felt heavy today.

DEADS
425x4
390x4x2

SSB
255x6x3

RDL
185x12x3

LUNGES
12x2

BAND PALLOF PRESS
12x2

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those days are bound to happen, as you well know. The thing that matters is you got all of the work in despite that fact.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Day 5

SQUAT
335x5
315x5x4

COMP BENCH
205x4x3
These are getting easier and easier. I’m keeping the 275 max, but if I need to push the weight to get work done, I might do that. I was prescribed 195 for RPE 6, and jumped to 205 for an RPE 4.5

GHR, Split squats, lateral lunges to finish off.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WIDE GRIP BENCH
195x5x4

TRAP BAR ROWS
230x12x2

OHP
105x12x2

Dips, hammer curls, done.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How you liking the trap bar rows? Thinking about trying them for some variety in the garage.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How you liking the trap bar rows? Thinking about trying them for some variety in the garage.
I really like them. You can get some weight on there, bench keeps you at a good angle.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I really like them. You can get some weight on there, bench keeps you at a good angle.
Bench? Will you take a video of yourself next time you do them and take a screenshot from the side so I can see how you’re setting up?

Or maybe a better question is, are these bent over rows standing inside the hex bar, or like a seal row laying on a bench?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bench? Will you take a video of yourself next time you do them and take a screenshot from the side so I can see how you’re setting up?

Or maybe a better question is, are these bent over rows standing inside the hex bar, or like a seal row laying on a bench?
Here’s a vid of one of the trainers doing it. I use a kabuki trap bar.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DEADS
410x4
390x4x3

SSB
260x5x5

RDL, Lunges, pallof press.

Total **** session. I’m not sleeping right, and I’m trying to work through that. My nutrition is 100%, so it’s all sleep. Frustrated.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Things better today. Slept much better.

BENCH
225x5x5

Set 4

BB row, Arnold press, curls, pressdowns.

Weight a steady 290.

Edit; this is the most weight I’ve pressed since surgery on 10/7. My bench is coming back pretty fast. I’m pain and discomfort free, so I’ll keep plugging along.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just be careful to keep that RPE on bench LOW! You do that, you will be set. I can’t believe you’re already repping 2 plates just 3 months off shoulder surgery, so don’t take that for granted and get greedy - that’s incredible!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just be careful to keep that RPE on bench LOW! You do that, you will be set. I can’t believe you’re already repping 2 plates just 3 months off shoulder surgery, so don’t take that for granted and get greedy - that’s incredible!
For sure. I’m trying to stay about an RPE 6-7, which is ok with both the doc and PT. They don’t want me rep maxing of course, but they’re good with pushing a bit. I’m almost graduated from PT, and I get full release next Monday. Progress!