Regrets in Life

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys.

I'm working on a project, and I need some help. The project is based around regrets, what sticks in your mind. I need other peoples input to get the information I need.

List your top 5 regrets in life. I can be anything, so think outside the box, and take it seriously. I'd like to get some good data here, and I'll post of a follow up after a get enough responces.

I'm not collecting personal information, and if you have something to personal that you don't want to share, then I respect that. I could really use this boards help.

Sorry for the ambiguity, but help me out!

Thanks.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys.

I'm working on a project, and I need some help. The project is based around regrets, what sticks in your mind. I need other peoples input to get the information I need.

List your top 5 regrets in life. I can be anything, so think outside the box, and take it seriously. I'd like to get some good data here, and I'll post of a follow up after a get enough responces.

I'm not collecting personal information, and if you have something to personal that you don't want to share, then I respect that. I could really use this boards help.

Sorry for the ambiguity, but help me out!

Thanks.
1. Taking most of the things in life for granted & not seeing how truly blessed I am.
2. Going away for college when my mother was just begining to battle breast cancer.
3. Even though I was young, not motivatin or helping my dad to quit smoking before he had to get a quadruple bypass open heart surgery. I was only in 4th grade but in retrospect I feel I could've done more.
4. Not trying my best in some important things in life, such as school, specially now in college.
5. Not having my priorities straight & it having negative effects on my life overall.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
1. marrying my first wife
2. not divorcing my second wife sooner
3. not punching out my father before he died (sons need to stand up at some time in their life ans sometimes it needs to be physical)
4. not taking better care of my body over the years
5. taking so long to get over the Vietnam experience

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have no regrets in life. I think regrets are pointless because it is pointless to dwell on the past. The past is the past. The best thing you can do in any situation is to learn what mistakes you made and then become a better person for it.

Like scars that form over a wound, we must learn from our mistakes rather than looking back at them.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have no regrets in life. I think regrets are pointless because it is pointless to dwell on the past. The past is the past. The best thing you can do in any situation is to learn what mistakes you made and then become a better person for it.

Like scars that form over a wound, we must learn from our mistakes rather than looking back at them.
I think wiether or not we dwell on them, does not mean they do not exist. But that is a topic for another day. Thanks for your input.

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
in no particular order:

1. the drugs i experimented with in high school/college
2. transferring colleges for my ex-girlfriend, now twice removed
3. not taking better care of my body
4. not listening to my parents more
5. spending money that could have been better used now that i think abt it

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
#1 not finishing highschool football (played 2 years, then started street racing and i was getting hurt in fb, but gave out more hurt)
#2 wasted time and money on greenery and lost memories
#3 not trying in highschool and ending up at a ****ty college
#4 having a gf for all of college (doh)
#5 not banging this hot dancer chick i ran into last weeknd

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have no regret. I love to be in denial. ;D
Truthfully, I have tons of regrets, but I just refuse to think about them or even want to remember them. We can't go on in life to find new happiness, IF we don't let go of the past regrets.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
concur but we need to realize mistakes or were not moving forward.

And trust me if there is anyone that will lie to themselves for gain or happiness it's me. But we need to learn from out mistakes, or we can vote for dubayi again.

p.s. no fukn way i would vote for dubs once or twice just to clear that up.

tattoopierced1

1. putting my mom through everything during my high school years
2. not taking school seriously
3. not keeping up fitness throughout my teens
4. not standing up for myself when growing up
5. not traveling more when I was single and exploring the world

tomall2

Awards
1. Getting married
2. Getting back with wife after splitting up
3. Staying with wife for sake of kid
4. Bringing a new life into such a cruel world
5. Not making more time to spend with kid

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Positive attitude. But...

at 21 there are likely few actions that are that regretable or are not yet regretable because you have not yet lived long enough to regret them.

What I did when I was 16 was nothing I really regereted at 21. At 30 it was a different story. At 41?

Living IN regret is unhealthy. Living in denial of regretable actions is unhealthy as well. We don't have to live in regret, but recognizing regretable past can be a very powerful tool for more positive and productive choices in the future.

I just thought I would share my $0.02. I don't regret it...yet ;)

tomall2

Awards
Positive attitude. But...

at 21 there are likely few actions that are that regretable or are not yet regretable because you have not yet lived long enough to regret them.

What I did when I was 16 was nothing I really regereted at 21. At 30 it was a different story. At 41?

Living IN regret is unhealthy. Living in denial of regretable actions is unhealthy as well. We don't have to live in regret, but recognizing regretable past can be a very powerful tool for more positive and productive choices in the future.

I just thought I would share my $0.02. I don't regret it...yet ;)

I absolutely agree, that's why I felt secure enough with myself to share those learning experiences of my life. Though they are not proud moments, they are just that - moments in time. Compared to the remaining 35 years I have been around, they ain't $hit. I don't cave that easily, as I tell my wife I am one tolerant MF'er. Uh oh here she comes now - :run:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1. Kicking a player off my team w/out believing his side of the story. Kid dropped out of high school 1 month later :(

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow.

This is shaping up completely outside what I expected.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
1. Getting married
2. Getting back with wife after splitting up
3. Staying with wife for sake of kid
4. Bringing a new life into such a cruel world
5. Not making more time to spend with kid

DUDE! The world has been cruel since the dawn of time, bringing a new life into the world was the greatest blessing I ever had. It's almost like you're saying "why live life if we all die at some point anyway." The life you bring into this world could be the person that cures the world of it's cruelty. At the very least if you love and care for your child to the very best of your ability, chances are the cruelty you speak of may never impact your child or at least affect your child far less than the vision of your child's future that you imply.

Personally I didn't know what the meaning of life was until I laid eyes on my son for the very first time and held him in my arms. Now the meaning of life is no longer a mystery to me. I am truly blessed!

tomall2

Awards
DUDE! The world has been cruel since the dawn of time, bringing a new life into the world was the greatest blessing I ever had. It's almost like you're saying "why live life if we all die at some point anyway." The life you bring into this world could be the person that cures the world of it's cruelty. At the very least if you love and care for your child to the very best of your ability, chances are the cruelty you speak of may never impact your child or at least affect your child far less than the vision of your child's future that you imply.

Personally I didn't know what the meaning of life was until I laid eyes on my son for the very first time and held him in my arms. Now the meaning of life is no longer a mystery to me. I am truly blessed!
Of course I love my son, that's why I regret not being able to be with him every waking moment. Even if I were, that would not be too healthy in its own right. And there are other details surrounding these regrets that I did not elaborate on that might or might not explain why I consider them regrets. Basically, I guess I just have a different perspective on the world - obviously not a good one but it is a different one.

Looking back at what you said, I think I might have confused my thoughts and words - I don't regret having my son but before he was created my thoughts on that idea, which I did express to my signif other, were that I didn't want to bring such innocence into such a decaying society. At the time I didn't feel ready to be a parent and I still don't for that matter. Honestly, I don't know if I ever will. I don't know if that makes better sense or not.

But since I was also blessed, I would do anything for the boy - evident by the fact that I have put up with his mother for the past 10yrs or so. I worry about him every minute of every day - I don't know how my parets did it. And I definitely would not trade him for any other kid in the world - so yeah, he is special. I'm not a total piece-o-$h*t, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 piece but not a total piece.

I'm not saving for his college tuition, I'm saving for his shrink expenses when he gets older from all the psychological damage I'm causing him with all my neurotic behavior when it comes to making sure he wears his bike helmet, no shorts to school, wearing his jacket, doing his homework, feeding the dog, etc. I just hope I go crazy before he does.

Thanks for your post BM, made me really go back into the archives to help me understand what I was thinking. I'm going to go hang myself now. (JK)

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
In no particular order and I had to add one extra:

1. Not taking school seriously enough.
2. Marrying my first wife
3. Getting back with my first wife for the sake of our child after finding out she was cheating with my best friends brother-in-law.
4. Marrying my second wife and not taking my best friends advice.
5. Passing on a few 3-ways offered up by several very HOT chicks. Hell, one was going to be a 4-way (3 chicks and me).
6. Not being there for my best friend during his last days. (This one haunts me)

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
hmm.... none...... every so called regret ended up being a very positive thing in my life..... maybe not taking my prereqs sooner so that i would have been out of school this year instead of next year......... i have a blessed life

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
There are 2 kinds of people in this world who have 2 different kinds of regrets.

I'll be damned if anyone tells me they have no regrets at all. The only difference is how we look at them.

You can either mope about past mistakes, or you can learn from them. As they say, the only mistake you make is the one you dont learn from.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Sure I have regrets, but I can't say I'd be the same man I am today if I had done things differently.

Maybe if I hadn't spent the first 3 years out of dropping out of high school, unemployed and doing drugs, I would have a more established career, not living with parents, and maybe be able to buy my girl more than I do.

But maybe I wouldn't be able to say I've been there...so when I tell my little brother to stay off drugs and stay in school, he knows I'm speaking from experience. Or maybe I wouldn't have the ability to judge a threat or danger in the street, or the knowledge of what to do if that threat manifested itself. Maybe I wouldn't have the wisdom to know what my son is going through if he gets involved in substance abuse.

Would I have done things differently? F*ck it. No point in wondering that.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But maybe I wouldn't be able to say I've been there...so when I tell my little brother to stay off drugs and stay in school, he knows I'm speaking from experience. Or maybe I wouldn't have the ability to judge a threat or danger in the street, or the knowledge of what to do if that threat manifested itself. Maybe I wouldn't have the wisdom to know what my son is going through if he gets involved in substance abuse.
Well said!

We are all examples. Not always a good one, but an example none the less. There is always something to learn from any example.

A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
1. Getting into a fight with my sister before she was killed ( not that I knew her boyfriend was crazy and would do this)
2. Letting a love go
3. Not giving me more me time
4. being so angry with all my medical crap
5. number 1 all over agian, ( that haunts me)

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I try not to have regrets, i'm one of those people that believes that everything happens for a reason.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
1. Getting into a fight with my sister before she was killed ( not that I knew her boyfriend was crazy and would do this)
I'm really sorry for your loss. My g/f also had something like this happen before her father died. But I told her, he loves you, and he knows you love him too, no matter what happened. The love you've given far outweighs any trivial matter. Just my .02

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
That's why i'm not afraid of death, my attitude is if it's my time then it's my time.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
That's why i'm not afraid of death, my attitude is if it's my time then it's my time.
Hopefully you will never be close to death so you can keep that belief. And I mean that good luck and stay safe.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Of course I love my son, that's why I regret not being able to be with him every waking moment. Even if I were, that would not be too healthy in its own right. And there are other details surrounding these regrets that I did not elaborate on that might or might not explain why I consider them regrets. Basically, I guess I just have a different perspective on the world - obviously not a good one but it is a different one.

Looking back at what you said, I think I might have confused my thoughts and words - I don't regret having my son but before he was created my thoughts on that idea, which I did express to my signif other, were that I didn't want to bring such innocence into such a decaying society. At the time I didn't feel ready to be a parent and I still don't for that matter. Honestly, I don't know if I ever will. I don't know if that makes better sense or not.

But since I was also blessed, I would do anything for the boy - evident by the fact that I have put up with his mother for the past 10yrs or so. I worry about him every minute of every day - I don't know how my parets did it. And I definitely would not trade him for any other kid in the world - so yeah, he is special. I'm not a total piece-o-$h*t, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 piece but not a total piece.

I'm not saving for his college tuition, I'm saving for his shrink expenses when he gets older from all the psychological damage I'm causing him with all my neurotic behavior when it comes to making sure he wears his bike helmet, no shorts to school, wearing his jacket, doing his homework, feeding the dog, etc. I just hope I go crazy before he does.

Thanks for your post BM, made me really go back into the archives to help me understand what I was thinking. I'm going to go hang myself now. (JK)

Sorry dude! Didn't mean to come down hard on you or anything. My life is FULL of regrets....my son is the one true great thing that has happened to me in my life that I have no regrets about......I'm also lucky that after 13 years of marriage my wife and I haven't killed each other yet even though we get on each other's LAST nerve! I kill myself working 2 jobs 5 days a week and I work on Saturday all day too....so I can scrape together enough money to make sure he never wants for anything. I wake up each morning and see him for about an hour before I put him on the scool bus and the next time I see him is asleep in his bed around midnight.......hey....there is a regret right there....the fact that I'm so stupid that I am working harder not smarter and I'm missing out on these precious years of my son's life!!

I'm gonna try and take him out to the movies later tonight and tomorrow I'm gonna get him a brand new bike and go riding......I am such a ****....he's almost 6 and still has a little bike with training wheels on it! A 6 year old should be tearing it up on a real bike!!! I meant to teach him how to ride a two wheeler a year ago.........talk about something I regret.....I'm gonna make it up to him tomorrow....

Good luck to you dude and give your kid a big hug for me!

tomall2

Awards
Hey B, it's good to be knocked down every now and then. Getting back up and moving on is what it's all about, I'm easy going anyways. Plus, I was able to look at things differently and hopefully I can do some things differently in the future. For starters, we finally got out to play some ball - been meaning to do that for while, it was a great time. Thanks for that.

And, I know it sucks having to work our life away when the reasons we are working for don't always understand it's for them. Don't sweat the training wheels either, before you know it he'll be riding all over the place and you'll have no idea where he is. Good $hit though.

Best of luck to you and yours! :pizza:

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Regrets? Sure, I have a few. Let's see, this shouldn't be too hard. Five things that have happened in the course of my life that I truly regret...

1. Taking so long to realize that I'm alive and won't stay that way forever.

2. Not "trying" to better myself earlier in life.

3. Not going back to the military (but I'm over it).

4. Not making plans for my future earlier.

5. My old selflessness. Never caring about myself at all, but going out of my way for everyone else. What the hell was I thinking?

There ya have it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 42
General Chat 33
kingdong Supplements 21
Squeaks4ver Politics 4
CDB General Chat 16