recovery techniques - what really works?

dsohei

Awards
I'm a noob, just started exercising at age 32 after years of medical issues, I have ibd, anyway doms suck, I'm currently training 3x a week at local circus arts center, all bodyweight stuff, but I want to do more, weights too, but am concerned about recovery between sessions.

What can I do that's legit and recovers the body faster besides time? I've heard infrared saunas, ice baths, compression clothing, selfmyofascial release...

What works well? Thx

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ive always found that cardio late night helps me, but i also use a variety of eaa's/bcaa's/free form aminos

Krampus

Krampus

Awards
I know for a fact ice baths work but burrrrrrrr. Worst practices ever, but the ice bathes really do help.

napalm

napalm

Awards
prowler pushes/pulls are a good way to get in some extra work and help with recovery...

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
keep your diet in check and as mentioned include aminos

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
light weight high rep, basically, active recovery workouts.

67nova

Awards
Can you point me in the direction of how to do them correctly?
What i did was went to local farm store(tractor supply) and got a live stock waterer(big steel tub)fill with 1/4-1/2water got a freezer and stock up with ice(4-6bags/10lb)get it around 50degrees or lower(55is alright)grap something to read(takes your mind off of cold)and sit in it for 10min.Wait 30-45 min and get a "warm"shower.DO NOT STRECTH AFTER GETTING OUT!!!Your snap like a twig.

Thats Justice

Awards
Nutrition pre and post, light cardio after wo to flush lactic acid from your body, stretch, and sleep

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm a noob, just started exercising at age 32 after years of medical issues, I have ibd, anyway doms suck, I'm currently training 3x a week at local circus arts center, all bodyweight stuff, but I want to do more, weights too, but am concerned about recovery between sessions.

What can I do that's legit and recovers the body faster besides time? I've heard infrared saunas, ice baths, compression clothing, selfmyofascial release...

What works well? Thx
Epsom salt bath. Replenishes blood magnesium and good skin health Cold (not ice because it can contract muscle to much) or hot (increases blood flow /relaxing but cold Bette due to inflammatory issues)
Followed by contrast showers followed by foam roller and you will feel 10 again.

dsohei

Awards
Epsom salt bath. Replenishes blood magnesium and good skin health Cold (not ice because it can contract muscle to much) or hot (increases blood flow /relaxing but cold Bette due to inflammatory issues)
Followed by contrast showers followed by foam roller and you will feel 10 again.
So to recap, magnesium oil on full body or cold or hot epsom salt bath. Cold is better for inflammation. Ten minutes in 55 degree water. Contrast showers 30 min later, 2:1 hot:cold. Foam rolling.
Repeat everyday.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
So to recap, magnesium oil on full body or cold or hot epsom salt bath. Cold is better for inflammation. Ten minutes in 55 degree water. Contrast showers 30 min later, 2:1 hot:cold. Foam rolling.
Repeat everyday.
Magnesium oil? All Epsom salts is is magnesium. No need for the oil. I would do it 3x a week.

dsohei

Awards
Magnesium oil? All Epsom salts is is magnesium. No need for the oil. I would do it 3x a week.
Right but epsom salt won't dissolve in a cold bath. Plus it takes about 30 mins to get the magnesium into the skin, slightly less if u add baking soda, but still longer than recommended for a cold bath.

RicFlair

Awards
Foam roll, fish oil to fight inflammation, contrast showers, and sauna (this is anecdotal not sure if it's been proven in a clinical setting). Also: eat more.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Also the more you workout the less severe DOMS you'll usually experience as time goes on. Except leg workouts; those always suck.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
love epsom salt baths,massages, stretch before bed and aminos/proteins/glutamines also will help with the doms

dsohei

Awards
Also the more you workout the less severe DOMS you'll usually experience as time goes on. Except leg workouts; those always suck.
I am hoping this is true but haven't gotten there yet

dsohei

Awards
love epsom salt baths,massages, stretch before bed and aminos/proteins/glutamines also will help with the doms
I feel like I eat enough proteins, but maybe not? I must get at least 150g a day, if I go higher than that digestive issues start to appear.

boogyman

Awards
150 is probably on the low side for your 185lbs of bodyweight. I don't go nuts on protein like a lot of people do, but I think 1 gram per lb is minimum. I go a little over that, I weigh 175 and shoot for 200 grams a day. Some days I probably go way over that that fine by me (if grilling for instance, steaks, BBQ chicken and burgers add up quick lol), but I try not to go under 200.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
I don't think it's a huge issue really. I'll take in 120-150g a day and I'm doing fine.