Protein Intake

Stallion83

Stallion83

Awards
  • Established
I am very very confused on something. Is it true that 1 g of protein to 1 lb of weight? I am confused because that would mean a ton of protein for me. Also to clarify people gave me mathmatical equations to find out how much protein to take. Another thing to consider is the protein intake is that 1g to 1lb of lean muscle mass?

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I am very very confused on something. Is it true that 1 g of protein to 1 lb of weight? I am confused because that would mean a ton of protein for me. Also to clarify people gave me mathmatical equations to find out how much protein to take. Another thing to consider is the protein intake is that 1g to 1lb of lean muscle mass?
Even more than that. I'm 185 and I routinely get in 250-320 daily.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
It depends. I'd say start at 1g, when your gains stall increase carbs and fats but not protein. If that doesn't work, increase protein to 1.5g. When you stall again, increase carbs and fats and so on. Do not increase protein until after determining that an increase of 1000kcal per day do not do the trick.

Stallion83

Stallion83

Awards
  • Established
Okay I will do a 250g to start im at 290ish. I am doing recomp so I am eatting 6 meals. Beakfast lunch dinner all solid comples carbs with protein the rest of the three are going to be post shakes and just on the go stuff.

Stallion83

Stallion83

Awards
  • Established
but 250 is not a bad start.I just dont wanna consume too much to just xplode it out u know lol.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
but 250 is not a bad start.I just dont wanna consume too much to just xplode it out u know lol.
Its a pain in the ass no doubt. But just one of the staples of having a good amount of mass, and it being as solid as possible. What i've gotten into the habit of doing is tossing a 25-30g protein shake in with each meal. (6 a day) Thats not a huge shake, and at that rate there is 150-180. If your post workout is of decent size (around 50g protein), and your meals are all fairly balanced in their nutrients, as i remember you saying they were in another thread you should be just fine man!

I feel you on getting sick of not only the taste, but additionally the cost of protein though. And as was stated earlier dont neglect the carbs and fats!

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
And i realize i'm going to get trashed for recommending that so much of your protein comes from shakes, but it's just a suggestion if you're struggling...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1 gram minimum

1.5 other times

depends on training.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
90% of days I do NOT get 1g of preotein per 1lbs of body weight. And I still see gains. I am only 185lbs though and not ever trying to be over 200lbs, so maybe for us smaller guys its not necessary to get 1 to 1. But if your trying to add like 50+ pounds of mass then yea go for it.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
While >1g isn't explicitly required for muscle growth, I believe it may be optimal. For the bigger guys, 6 meals w/ 40g PRO /meal is 240g right there. With a little bit of planning it is very realistic.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
If you listen to what Milos Sarcev has to say about macronutrient consumption, you would have to believe that not only is 1g protein/1lb of bodyweight ideal for sustaining normal function, BUT for a bodybuilder (depending on your bodytype and activity level) 1.5-2g protein/1lb bodyweight should be consumed. The reason I tend to agree with 1g/1lb of bw vs. 1g/1lb lean mass is because your body requires amino acids from protein to repair lean muscle tissue and maintain other body systems such as the skin, hair, nails, and organs. 1 lb of lean tissue takes 67 kcal daily to maintain, it takes an excess of that amount to build muscle tissue. If only 1g/1lb lean mass is taken in daily, I believe you run the risk of your body still cannabolizing its own muscle tissue for the amino acids necessary to build/rebuild lean tissue and sustain the other previously mentioned body systems. Trial and error is often the best method for deciding for yourself what your protein requirements are. Start with 1g/1lb of bw and re-access after a few weeks. If your honest with yourself and listen to your body, you won't go wrong.

BEAST

JDK5386

I've seen plenty of gains on 250-275 per day on a lean mass of roughly 240-250 and a current weight of about 315. I've seen some weight loss and solid gains in mass. Then again, I'm very endomorphic so you may need more.

3708grunt

Awards
OK I've done the protein shake routine, they have lots of protein but the carb content really throws things out of wack, especially when on a cutting phase, and it's hard to get enough protein out of just natural foods, I feel like a pig all day, what do you season veterans think, how do you get protein but minus the carbs, any Ideas

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OK I've done the protein shake routine, they have lots of protein but the carb content really throws things out of wack, especially when on a cutting phase, and it's hard to get enough protein out of just natural foods, I feel like a pig all day, what do you season veterans think, how do you get protein but minus the carbs, any Ideas
There's plenty of shakes with very high protien and very low carbs.

Zero Carb IsoPure comes to mind.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Whey Protein Isolate by ATW, as well ^

Tastes fine with water.

mankussm

mankussm

Awards
I'm 155lbs and my usual for bulking is around 180grams of Protein daily.