Daily protein intake

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
I know a lot of people on here talk about their protein intake. I used to struggle with it as well and regularly drink shakes. Since changing my eating habits I don’t struggle anymore and have no need for shakes. Today for example my first three meals of the day include 6 chicken thighs and a ten ounce turkey tenderloin. That doesn’t include my dinner. Just the food i brought with me to work. Those 3 meals put me between 220-250g protein for the day. So with dinner I’ll be pushing 300g protein for the day if not over. At 6’1” 226 pounds that puts me right where I want to be with protein for the day. Keep in mind I will have about 200-250g carbs for the day and 100-120g fat. These numbers are high but I also powerlift and about to begin a strength block as I prep for a meet in December. Just wanted to throw some numbers out there as I think the money spent on protein powders is better going towards food.

Also one last note a lot less red meat than I normally eat as this is a deload week for me.

Edit: some how the original got deleted. Here’s the original post and what I added.

So more to my initial post. I cruise on 250/mg Test E a week and currently adding in 400mg/week 1-Test Cyp. Protein intake is normally around the 180-200g/day range with 300g carbs. Carbs are veggies and white rice taken in before and after my workouts.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Shakes are a supplement for a reason and convenience as needed but shouldn't be a primary. Whole food sources are always best.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For easy protein i like drinking pasteurized egg whites. Tastes like nothing, goes down like water.

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
Shakes are a supplement for a reason and convenience as needed but shouldn't be a primary. Whole food sources are always best.
I agree with that. I just feel some rely too much on shakes. Just trying to help as I noticed a change in results when I started relying more on food and less on shakes. Also don’t put too much faith in the supplement industry lol.
jrock645 love hearing about people making shakes with egg whites. I unfortunately struggle with eating egg whites. They upset my stomach something fierce. That’s like oats for me too though. Love them, but can’t touch them because it’s like dropping a bomb on my stomach.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Only time I run high protein is when I’m running something other than that I have been consuming around 100-150g of protein a day with a mostly plant based diet. My gains are still as linear as when I was consuming 250+ grams of protein a day. I’m 6’4 245 atm

Also protein powder is the cheapest source of protein out there. Where else can you get 25g of protein for around a dollar?

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know a lot of people on here talk about their protein intake. I used to struggle with it as well and regularly drink shakes. Since changing my eating habits I don’t struggle anymore and have no need for shakes. Today for example my first three meals of the day include 6 chicken thighs and a ten ounce turkey tenderloin. That doesn’t include my dinner. Just the food i brought with me to work. Those 3 meals put me between 220-250g protein for the day. So with dinner I’ll be pushing 300g protein for the day if not over. At 6’1” 226 pounds that puts me right where I want to be with protein for the day. Keep in mind I will have about 200-250g carbs for the day and 100-120g fat. These numbers are high but I also powerlift and about to begin a strength block as I prep for a meet in December. Just wanted to throw some numbers out there as I think the money spent on protein powders is better going towards food.

Also one last note a lot less red meat than I normally eat as this is a deload week for me.
That’s a crap ton of protein? How much lean body mass you carrying? Are you on testosterone? Natural guys should be between .8 to 1 gram protein / per pound body weight a day. Or up to 2 ish or more depending on if AAS being used...
Your body’s ability to use protein is impacted by levels of hormone in your blood. If you are over using protein, you are really just very inefficiently loading glycogen stores, because protein converts to glucose if not used in muscle protein synthesis... Probably would be better served with strategic carb cycling pre during and post workout and in your first meal. Check out Layne Norton diet....

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
Only time I run high protein is when I’m running something other than that I have been consuming around 100-150g of protein a day with a mostly plant based diet. My gains are still as linear as when I was consuming 250+ grams of protein a day. I’m 6’4 245 atm

Also protein powder is the cheapest source of protein out there. Where else can you get 25g of protein for around a dollar?
Yea this is a high amount of protein for me this week. I usually top out around 200g/day. Since this is a deload week I have backed off on the carbs. I chose to increase the protein to maintain calories instead of fat. I am running a cruise of Test E plus some 1-Test Cyp right now too.

Part of my problem with protein powders is the science behind them and how they’re made. I really question if their protein numbers advertised are legit. Also question how much of that advertised protein number is readily available for your body to uptake.

Again this is all my personal opinion. Really just trying to show that there’s plenty of nutrients available from the right food sources. Obviously they work to some extent. I wouldn’t imagine IFBB pros wasting calories on something strictly for advertisement purposes.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Chicken breast..... haha 1.99 a pound, 4 servings of 25 grams each, $0.25 per 25 grams.... I’m just being a dic.....

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea this is a high amount of protein for me this week. I usually top out around 200g/day. Since this is a deload week I have backed off on the carbs. I chose to increase the protein to maintain calories instead of fat. I am running a cruise of Test E plus some 1-Test Cyp right now too.

Part of my problem with protein powders is the science behind them and how they’re made. I really question if their protein numbers advertised are legit. Also question how much of that advertised protein number is readily available for your body to uptake.

Again this is all my personal opinion. Really just trying to show that there’s plenty of nutrients available from the right food sources. Obviously they work to some extent. I wouldn’t imagine IFBB pros wasting calories on something strictly for advertisement purposes.
On deload just cut those calories out. You aren’t burning nearly the same anyway

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chicken breast..... haha 1.99 a pound, 4 servings of 25 grams each, $0.25 per 25 grams.... I’m just being a dic.....
lol that’s a cheap price for many and I used to get it at that price but always found the quality sucked of those and bought the 2.99 a lb boneless breasts

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
Based on my last test I’m around 190-195 pounds LBM. Carrying a little extra fluff as I have been eating more carbs due to the program my coach has put together for me. I will be dropping the carbs soon and doing more targeted meals as I lean out in preparation to start my peak.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Oh i dont make shakes with the egg whites, i just pour them in a glass and drink them.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That's 25 grams of chicken, not 25 grams of protein.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That's 25 grams of chicken, not 25 grams of protein.
He's actually right on this brother.
The estimates that I've read for chicken breast have been 105-140 grams of protein per pound.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Based on my last test I’m around 190-195 pounds LBM. Carrying a little extra fluff as I have been eating more carbs due to the program my coach has put together for me. I will be dropping the carbs soon and doing more targeted meals as I lean out in preparation to start my peak.
Holy crap. Totally missed you were on test E... lol

Tbl16

Awards
  • Established
Holy crap. Totally missed you were on test E... lol
Lol no worries man. I’m built like a barrel so I carry weight really easy. I measure about 46” around the chest and about 44” around my hips and butt lol.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This.. Shakes aren't really even needed if you can get all of your protein needed from whole food. Shakes are just convenient, quick, and easy digestive to get in protein.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Chicken = 25% protein

4oz chicken = 1oz protein

1oz = 28g
Yes. I was being mentally lazy, I guess and was thinking 1/4 lbs = 28g, which obviously it does not.