Amount of protein intake for cutting

VtaperXO

Awards
Hey guys! In a couple of weeks I was thinking about a cut, the bulking went too far in fact I think I am over 20% fat.
I measure 5′ con 8.11″. (1,74m). I have to say that I did a cut when I was younger about four years ago, since then I have been consistent bulking for almost one year, the thing is I have never felt encouraged doing a cut because I`m a bit scared of losing muscle my diet right now in terms of protein is about 1.5g-1,8g per kg ( less than 1g per pound) so is this enough for cutting? I find pretty hard to get protein Idk if you can give me any advice to get cheaper proteing but it's a struggle. The main question would be if that amount(1.5-1.8gr of protein per kg) is reliable to make a decent cut.
Cheers guys

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Anyone I do a meal plan for on a cut is 1gm per lb of lean mass minimum and if the person is bodybuilding then I say 1gm per lb of bodyweight minimum

The more carbs your eating the less protein you typically need because carbs are protein sparing.

But for me and my ppl, 1gm per lb is a good starting point.

Bodock

Bodock

Awards
  • Established
i eat a lot of tuna and eggs lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
i eat a lot of tuna and eggs lol
Chicken breast is cheaper.

Boneless skinless chicken breast $2.49-2.99lb

1lb of chicken breast grilled cooks down to about 12oz, 12oz cooked chicken breast has about 100gm of protein giving you 100gm of protein for $3

A dozen eggs is about $4 and only has 72gm protein and a butt load of fat and extra calories

Canned tuna is about $2 and only 42gm protein per can

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

1lb of chicken breast grilled cooks down to about 12oz, 12oz cooked chicken breast has about 100gm of protein giving you 100gm of protein for $3

A dozen eggs is about $4 and only has 72gm protein and a butt load of fat and extra calories

You know I'm cheap lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Have you found that to happen with turkey and beef too with the same loss of water?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
1.8g/kg would tend to be my typical minimum to shoot for. It won't be the end of the world if it is a little lower than that, but I'd still probably recommend aiming for that.

If you are really having that much trouble getting protein in just add a shake somewhere.

I also wouldn't be so stressed about losing muscle mass on a cut. As long as you aren't eating poorly, training isn't dumb, and you aren't in some super stressful situation I really doubt you'll have much issue keeping muscle mass until you have to get really lean or really fight for continued fat loss and if anything as you get leaner you look bigger anyways.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey guys! In a couple of weeks I was thinking about a cut, the bulking went too far in fact I think I am over 20% fat.
I measure 5′ con 8.11″. (1,74m). I have to say that I did a cut when I was younger about four years ago, since then I have been consistent bulking for almost one year, the thing is I have never felt encouraged doing a cut because I`m a bit scared of losing muscle my diet right now in terms of protein is about 1.5g-1,8g per kg ( less than 1g per pound) so is this enough for cutting? I find pretty hard to get protein Idk if you can give me any advice to get cheaper proteing but it's a struggle. The main question would be if that amount(1.5-1.8gr of protein per kg) is reliable to make a decent cut.
Cheers guys
Just while I'm here and on the topic. I'm a 5 meals a day guy but here's a simple 3 meal high protein low calorie diet for the average person

Mix 2 scoops of whey with oats and skim milk and put it in the fridge over night, that's breakfast and it contains 73gm protein and 550 cal

5oz chicken breast and 1 cup rice is 46 gm protein and 425 cal

Post workout 1 scoop whey and water 30gm 120cal

5oz ground beef, 2 whole eggs and 2 servings green vegetables 49pro and 750 cal

200ish protein and under 2000 calories

VtaperXO

Awards
Anyone I do a meal plan for on a cut is 1gm per lb of lean mass minimum and if the person is bodybuilding then I say 1gm per lb of bodyweight minimum

The more carbs your eating the less protein you typically need because carbs are protein sparing.

Hey friend, I read about that too, In my case should I calculate with lean mass minimum or bodyweight ? I am a bit overweight after all.

VtaperXO

Awards

Chicken is not that cheap here bro, I was thinking about cow heart or even liver.

VtaperXO

Awards
1.8g/kg would tend to be my typical minimum to shoot for. It won't be the end of the world if it is a little lower than that, but I'd still probably recommend aiming for that.

If you are really having that much trouble getting protein in just add a shake somewhere.

I also wouldn't be so stressed about losing muscle mass on a cut. As long as you aren't eating poorly, training isn't dumb, and you aren't in some super stressful situation I really doubt you'll have much issue keeping muscle mass until you have to get really lean or really fight for continued fat loss and if anything as you get leaner you look bigger anyways.
Hey, exactly I am aiming for a shake, it's gonna be less stressful if I got it. Indeed that's one of the things that motivate me to cut besides from my bulking getting too far, you can look bigger as you are getting leaner. Thanks for your help bro

VtaperXO

Awards
Just while I'm here and on the topic. I'm a 5 meals a day guy but here's a simple 3 meal high protein low calorie diet for the average person

Mix 2 scoops of whey with oats and skim milk and put it in the fridge over night, that's breakfast and it contains 73gm protein and 550 cal

Bro, I usually do 5 meals per day so it fits me good of course I'll add maybe more carbs, well I have cleared my mind a bit thank you so much for your comment bro
Cheers

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I'm getting about 200-240g of protein a day at 189lbs which is loosely maintenance for me right now. I've gained around 3-4lbs total since Sept so I say loosely knowing I haven't kept the diet under maintenance calories nov/dec. If I switch to a full cut I'd likely try to keep that at 200 and drop the cals via fat and carbs

Have you found that to happen with turkey and beef too with the same loss of water?
I'm pissed. I cook 2lbs of ground turkey every sunday and usually get about 24-30oz of cooked meat for my meal prep. yesterday we cooked up 2lbs (32oz) and I had less than 20oz finished meat.

I've always been a 3-5 meal guy myself. hardest part about testing IF now is the fact that I'm not hungry enough for that many cals in an 8 hour window lol.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm getting about 200-240g of protein a day at 189lbs which is loosely maintenance for me right now. I've gained around 3-4lbs total since Sept so I say loosely knowing I haven't kept the diet under maintenance calories nov/dec. If I switch to a full cut I'd likely try to keep that at 200 and drop the cals via fat and carbs

I'm pissed. I cook 2lbs of ground turkey every sunday and usually get about 24-30oz of cooked meat for my meal prep. yesterday we cooked up 2lbs (32oz) and I had less than 20oz finished meat.

I've always been a 3-5 meal guy myself. hardest part about testing IF now is the fact that I'm not hungry enough for that many cals in an 8 hour window lol.
I've tried IF a few times and it's not for me. I starve all day and binge I'm my window and I'm usually so hungry it spills over pastvthe window. I think it's great for someone on a busy schedule looking for general fitness. But if your looking to maximize progress or you have a big appetite (or a bit of a binge eating disorder 🙋‍♂️) then IF probably not the best idea.

You also typically want higher protein on a cut, not on maintenance or a bulk. The more carbs you eat the less protein you need. (To a degree)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've tried IF a few times and it's not for me. I starve all day and binge I'm my window and I'm usually so hungry it spills over pastvthe window. I think it's great for someone on a busy schedule looking for general fitness. But if your looking to maximize progress or you have a big appetite (or a bit of a binge eating disorder 🙋‍♂️) then IF probably not the best idea.

You also typically want higher protein on a cut, not on maintenance or a bulk. The more carbs you eat the less protein you need. (To a degree)
I can drink 2000 calories without a hangover lol. waiting till 12noon to eat has been easy BUT I think a part of the challenge is I'm preparing the same clean eating meals I always do, which are pretty filling and I may need to move to more calorie dense foods.

I never would have thought myself a candidate for consistent fasting... and maybe I'm not... the next week or two in the gym will definitely tell me...

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I can drink 2000 calories without a hangover lol. waiting till 12noon to eat has been easy BUT I think a part of the challenge is I'm preparing the same clean eating meals I always do, which are pretty filling and I may need to move to more calorie dense foods.

I never would have thought myself a candidate for consistent fasting... and maybe I'm not... the next week or two in the gym will definitely tell me...
It definitely has some benefits if it fits your lifestyle. There's longevity and digestive benefits for sure

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey friend, I read about that too, In my case should I calculate with lean mass minimum or bodyweight ? I am a bit overweight after all.
My personal preference is 1g/# of total bodyweight, as opposed to lean BW guess or desired BW. I think i saw this on a RP periodization YouTube video.

I was obese, and my protein intake goal has dropped with the lost weight. The calories replaced what I would have been consuming in carbs or fats, and if nothing else, hopefully decreased muscle loss during weight loss.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My personal preference is 1g/# of total bodyweight, as opposed to lean BW guess or desired BW. I think i saw this on a RP periodization YouTube video.

I was obese, and my protein intake goal has dropped with the lost weight. The calories replaced what I would have been consuming in carbs or fats, and if nothing else, hopefully decreased muscle loss during weight loss.
The only problem I have with going by total bodyweight is you gotta be a reasonable bodyfat. What I mean is a 400lb obese person doesn't need 400gm of protein, or even 300 for that matter. A 200lb obese person probably doesn't need 200gm of protein, but, you still may want to give them extra protein for calories over increasing there carbs or fat so 200 will probably be a good number if it fits there calories.

You know, the more I think about it the more complicated it can be. Yet it can also be very simple.

For the very large majority of ppl, if your goal is general fitness and weight loss you can pick any number between lbm and total weight for protein and as long as your in a caloric deficit your going to be fine.

Now if you're a 200lb bodybuilder cutting to 175 for a contest and your goal is maximal muscle and minimal fat. Eventually your gonna be pretty much eating nothing but protein and vegetables so your protein might exceed 200 significantly.

There lots of variables.

My friend is a professional heavyweight boxer with over 20 fights and he's 260lbs. Anyone wanna guess how much protein he eats per day.......

Less then 200gm almost always when he's training. His diet is almost entirely carbs during training camp

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also, is that your dog in the picture? I'm not huge fan of small dogs but I love french bulldogs!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only problem I have with going by total bodyweight is you gotta be a reasonable bodyfat. What I mean is a 400lb obese person doesn't need 400gm of protein, or even 300 for that matter. A 200lb obese person probably doesn't need 200gm of protein, but, you still may want to give them extra protein for calories over increasing there carbs or fat so 200 will probably be a good number if it fits there calories.
I guess I was reasonably obese. When I started tracking nutrients I was around 245 I think. Give it take

Also, is that your dog in the picture? I'm not huge fan of small dogs but I love french bulldogs!
He is my first ever small dog. I’ve had Great Danes and put bulls, but I am sold on this little guy. He’s so adorable.

IMG_2758.jpg

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I guess I was reasonably obese. When I started tracking nutrients I was around 245 I think. Give it take

He is my first ever small dog. I’ve had Great Danes and put bulls, but I am sold on this little guy. He’s so adorable.

View attachment 227128
Even at 245, that's not a absurd amount of protein. My only point was that there's a pretty wide range that will work without eating too much, and if someone is gonna overeat I would rather they over eat chicken and steak vs. crackers or chips or whatever really.

And yes, that thing is absolutely adorable 😍

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Even at 245, that's not a absurd amount of protein. My only point was that there's a pretty wide range that will work without eating too much, and if someone is gonna overeat I would rather they over eat chicken and steak vs. crackers or chips or whatever really.

And yes, that thing is absolutely adorable 😍
But i love to overeat crackers and chips 😆

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
But i love to overeat crackers and chips 😆
Me too, I like to crumble up cool ranch doritos and put them all over sandwiches and in my wraps. I just got back on my meal plan and I'm starving right now lol!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Me too, I like to crumble up cool ranch doritos and put them all over sandwiches and in my wraps. I just got back on my meal plan and I'm starving right now lol!
Lol today is day one for me too. Hate it, but it's time for real.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

View attachment 227128
I have that same stocking for my dog. I have a golden retriever who is part human :ROFLMAO:

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

You know, the more I think about it the more complicated it can be. Yet it can also be very simple.

For the very large majority of ppl, if your goal is general fitness and weight loss you can pick any number between lbm and total weight for protein and as long as your in a caloric deficit your going to be fine.

Now if you're a 200lb bodybuilder cutting to 175 for a contest and your goal is maximal muscle and minimal fat. Eventually your gonna be pretty much eating nothing but protein and vegetables so your protein might exceed 200 significantly.

There lots of variables.

My friend is a professional heavyweight boxer with over 20 fights and he's 260lbs. Anyone wanna guess how much protein he eats per day.......

Less then 200gm almost always when he's training. His diet is almost entirely carbs during training camp
I'm curious what you'd do for a guy with my stats.
5'9", 189lbs ~15.5% BF
You mostly know my lifting routine, 4 hard days + one bonus day per week.

Current average of 2300-2500cals a day has put on just under 1lb per month.
Typically about 25%/35%/40% fat/cho/pro

I'm not "really" cutting right now, but I'm tightening down to eliminate excess before my next vacation. But how would you sculpt a diet in here for a cut? I'm not sure I ever want to be under 180 again since I'm injury prone down there.

lamarclark09

Awards
Protein intake is really important as we know but it’s also important to understand which protein sources will be more feasible and accessible for you. Well for me I just have lots of eggs and peanut butter toast. I have heard about greek yogurt a lot too but I haven’t actually tried it so not so sure about that one.