Police check Foley for performance-enhancing drugs

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I normally don't even get upset by articles and such, but jesus...

ESPN.com - NFL - Prosecutors: Foley's blood alcohol level 0.233 percent

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers linebacker Steve Foley had a blood-alcohol level of 0.233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of 0.08 percent, when he was shot Sept. 3 outside his home.

Prosecutors on Thursday noted the level in an affidavit for a search warrant as they requested a blood sample from Foley on suspicion that he was using performance-enhancing drugs when he was shot and seriously wounded by an off-duty police officer.

Authorities have no evidence that Foley was using performance-enhancing drugs but want to test his blood because the linebacker has had previous run-ins with law enforcement, according to the affidavit

Investigators have already asked prosecutors to charge Foley with misdemeanor drunken driving.

"His history of aggressive and even violent contact with law enforcement indicates the possibility of more than mere alcohol involvement," wrote criminal investigator Dan Nordell. "[Steroids] can cause erratic behavior in those that use them. This has been given names like 'roid rage for the uncontrollable outbursts and violence experienced by some users."

Foley's attorney, John G. Phillips, refused to comment on the affidavit. His agent, David Levine, also declined to comment.

"I have no comment about whatever they're doing," Levine said. "That's not going to be my part in this."

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said after a team practice that he also had nothing to say about Foley's condition or the investigation.

"I'm not given to making pronouncements, particularly in matters of that nature," he said.

Representatives for the Chargers also declined to comment, citing the "sensitive nature" of the investigation, but the team issued a brief statement: "The Chargers hope that everyone will wait until all of the facts are revealed and not rush to judgment."

Authorities are seeking the blood sample from Sharp Memorial Hospital, where Foley was reported in fair condition earlier this week.

Foley was shot three times -- twice in the back of the left leg and once on the outside of the left thigh -- by an off-duty Coronado police officer near his home in suburban Poway. San Diego County sheriff's officials said the officer followed Foley's car on suspicion that the driver was drunk.

According to the sheriff's department, Foley got out of the car and began walking toward the officer, who said he was armed and fired a warning shot. The officer shot Foley after the linebacker reached into his pants with his right hand.

The officer, Aaron Mansker, has been placed on paid administrative leave.

The NFL tests players for performance-enhancing drugs, although there are no reliable tests for human growth hormone. Players are randomly selected for testing and can be tested during the offseason.

In 2000, Foley told Cincinnati reporters he was in the NFL's alcohol rehab program after getting a DUI the previous year.

Since 1999, Foley has been arrested at least five times, including cases that police say involved alcohol and confrontations with officers, The San Diego Union-Tribune has reported.

In April, he was arrested for investigation of resisting arrest after police said he scuffled with officers. He also was booked for investigation of battery on a police officer and public drunkenness, but the district attorney's office decided there wasn't enough evidence to bring charges in that case.

Before that, Foley pleaded guilty to drunken driving in Louisiana in 1999 and received probation.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have never known anyone to have erratic behavior while drunk:frustrate

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Foley was shot three times -- twice in the back of the left leg and once on the outside of the left thigh -- by an off-duty Coronado police officer near his home in suburban Poway. San Diego County sheriff's officials said the officer followed Foley's car on suspicion that the driver was drunk.

According to the sheriff's department, Foley got out of the car and began walking toward the officer, who said he was armed and fired a warning shot. The officer shot Foley after the linebacker reached into his pants with his right hand.
Interesting. Was this a marked car? Did he identify himself as a police officer?

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't know the whole story. I do know the officer was miles outside his durisdiction. The officer did apparently ID himself, but he was in an unmarked car.

I remember seeing a video online a few weeks ago that talked about fake police officers in very similar situations to the above, so drunk or not I'd question the person following me for the last 5 miles.

Either way, that wasn't really the point of the post ;)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My point was that it seemed like probable cause to provoke him to become violent ('roid rage for the uncontrollable outbursts and violence experienced by some users.")

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The car was stopped the cop ID himself outside the vehicle and the car pulled off and was stopped again. With a pulled gun foley charged the police officer after 3 warning shots were fired and then three were fired into foley

0.233 would make most people unable to move. To me this means he is a very heavy drinker. I wouldn't say it's a steroid or even a mixed drug thing. very drunk people do some crazt ****.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
let me see. I make millions as a pro football player. I know when I drink I still drive and get arrested. Hey how about this, when I drink I call a FREAKING CAB!!!!!!!! Or hire a driver for a few hundred bucks for the night. hmmmmmmmmmmm who woulda thunk it ahhhh apparently not Paris Hilton, Mel Gibson, Glenn Campbell etc etc etc fools all of em.

CROWLER

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Jayhawkk, .23 for a functioning alcoholic really isn't that high.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah it is for those who aren't drunk around them. I've nabbed a few and .23+who are functioning but not exactly in their right frame of mind. One of them was going to work on a saturday(he was off) another was driving along and as I walk up to his door while he's driving he freaks out and rolls up the window and drives to drive off!

He was up to his bumper in mud and he thought he had been driving while just spinning his wheels.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Jayhawkk, .23 for a functioning alcoholic really isn't that high.
My ex wife had a .25 two hours after she totaled the car we used to have. She was about 15 miles from where she'd done all the drinking too. She made it that far before a tree jumped out in front of her car. At that time she was doing about two liters of vodka per day. Still not sure how she's still alive.

Question: If Foley was charging the officer when the officer shot him, how did two of the bullets end up in the back of his leg?