Please critique my form (rack pulls)

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
I would like to get some feedback on my form. Don't be shy...my feelings won't get hurt. The reason why I am asking is because some dude walking by told me that my form was terrible and I will screw it up.

This is my 4th set. Rack Pulls 225lbs. (Rack pulls to go easy on my back)
(in case someone noticed....I only use 1 lifting strap on my left hand due to my golfers elbow even though I don't golf. I've had so many surgeries in my left hand/wrist/thumb that my left wrist has have very limited ROM which doesn't allow my forearm to stretch and is so much weaker than my right arm)

Thank you
[video=youtube;sLodjpD3_LE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLodjpD3_LE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You start off very nicely with a good flat back, But as the set goes on, it rounds more and more. Be sure to keep your core tight and braced the whole time. Also, there were very few reps where you finished the pull. Make sure you squeeze your ass as hard as you can and get nice and upright to finish. Don't miss out on that top portion. Not sure where the guy in your gym saw injurious technique. It can be improved, but it wasn't all that unsafe.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
You start off very nicely with a good flat back, But as the set goes on, it rounds more and more. Be sure to keep your core tight and braced the whole time. Also, there were very few reps where you finished the pull. Make sure you squeeze your ass as hard as you can and get nice and upright to finish. Don't miss out on that top portion. Not sure where the guy in your gym saw injurious technique. It can be improved, but it wasn't all that unsafe.
Thank you for suggestions.
Any tips to keep my core tight?
Any tips on how to prevent rounding of shoulders? imagine a Shrug...when you lift your shoulders "up" all the way...should I keep my shoulders "up" to prevent rounding?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great advice.

Pull your shoulders back and don't let them round forward.

Lock out the rep.

And IMO you're going too low. Rack pulls are supposed to be a strictly back move. Start around the knee and go no lower. This is a reason you're rounding out at the shoulder to. Since you're legs are locked you have no choice but to round the shoulder forward to go that low.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you for suggestions.
Any tips to keep my core tight?
Any tips on how to prevent rounding of shoulders? imagine a Shrug...when you lift your shoulders "up" all the way...should I keep my shoulders "up" to prevent rounding?
Sure. To keep you core tight, brace it like someone is about to punch you really hard in the stomach. Then, while braced, breathe in as much air as you can.

To keep your shoulders from rounding, you do NOT shrug. That makes your arms effectively shorter. You want to pretend you're bending the bar around your legs and squeezing oranges in your armpits. This tightens your lats and keeps your arms as "long" as possible,

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Thank you herderdude & Montego1. I will take your advice and try next time. I'll let you guys know how it goes...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Please do!

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Please do!
I forgot about this thread until you responded on my golfer elbow thread. I have been trying to do what you suggested and it is helping, but all of that went out the window on my last PR attempt which I was able to lift 325lbs on rack 4" high so not a true deadlift. After that I have kept the weight low (185lb) while focusing on your tips, which is helping. I plan on keeping weights low until my body learns to follow your tips.