Can I please have a physique/training routine critique?

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
Been lean bulking on TRT and I'm thinking that I need to add more structure and balance to my training routine. I am thinking glutes and hams need the most attention right now, but they are the only obvious imbalance to my untrained eye. I was wondering if anyone could pick apart which body parts need more/less attention to bring more balance to my proportions. Also I posted my current training plan, I know it needs a lot of work and I'm very open to any and all critiques. My main goal is to put on another 10 lbs of LBM in the next 4-6 months I want to make sure it's in the right places thou.

My current training plain is as follows. It's a twice a week full body training plan, W,Su 9 sets per body part per day.

Back- 1. Wide grip pull ups 2. Lat pull-downs 3. Seated Rows
Chest- 1. Chest press machine 2. Chest fly machine 3. Weighted Dips
Bi's- 1. Hammer Curls 2. Barbell curls 3. Longest range of motion possible pully curls.
Tri's 1. 3 sets of tricep pull-downs (I like these the most because they give the best pump and never cause any elbow pain for me.
Shoulders 1. Lateral raise machine 2. Rear delt flys on machine 3. Barbell overhead press
Traps and forearms 1. Farmers walk 3x30seconds 2. Rack pull above the knees with a 5 second pause 3. Dumbbell shrugs
Legs. 1. Front squat machine 2. Leg press 3. Hamstring Curl machine.

I've seen great progression in all of my lifts except for pull-ups which have stalled for the last two weeks even thou Lat pulls and rows have progressed. Should be noted that I always do the pull-ups first so they should be progressing too, correct?

Attachments

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Chest, Back (especially thickness), and hams (as you mentioned) would be the areas I see as biggest need.

10lb in 4-6mo is pretty unrealistic if you've already been training for some time and truly are not going above a trt dose. 1lb/mo of LBM is a VERY solid progression for a trained lifter in a solid/heavy caloric surplus (and you will likely gain a decent amount of fat too). Now, if you bump that test up, you can gain faster, but that's a choice you ahve to make.

Gaining LBM takes some pretty serious time and likely if you want to gain at the rate you proposed, you either will need to run a heavier test dose or expect to gain some serious fat in the process and have to trim down to see the results.

IMO your program is far too machine-focused and has severe limitations in terms of compound lifts. If you truly want to gain the most LBM as fast as possible, you need to be doing more compound lifts and not so many isolation and machine lifts.

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
Chest, Back (especially thickness), and hams (as you mentioned) would be the areas I see as biggest need.

10lb in 4-6mo is pretty unrealistic if you've already been training for some time and truly are not going above a trt dose. 1lb/mo of LBM is a VERY solid progression for a trained lifter in a solid/heavy caloric surplus (and you will likely gain a decent amount of fat too). Now, if you bump that test up, you can gain faster, but that's a choice you ahve to make.

Gaining LBM takes some pretty serious time and likely if you want to gain at the rate you proposed, you either will need to run a heavier test dose or expect to gain some serious fat in the process and have to trim down to see the results.

IMO your program is far too machine-focused and has severe limitations in terms of compound lifts. If you truly want to gain the most LBM as fast as possible, you need to be doing more compound lifts and not so many isolation and machine lifts.
Thanks for giving it to me straight man, I think I'll just focus on progressing the log book then and not worry about the specifics of LBM gain and all that as long as strength is going up and waist is staying mostly the same size. What are your favorite exercises to bring up glutes and back width? Yeah I rely to much on machine work for sure, been to scared to do the compound lifts since I'm kind of clumsy and I workout when know one else is around to help me if I get pinned down or something. But I think I'll change that soon since I'm getting bored of the machines anyways.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for giving it to me straight man, I think I'll just focus on progressing the log book then and not worry about the specifics of LBM gain and all that as long as strength is going up and waist is staying mostly the same size. What are your favorite exercises to bring up glutes and back width? Yeah I rely to much on machine work for sure, been to scared to do the compound lifts since I'm kind of clumsy and I workout when know one else is around to help me if I get pinned down or something. But I think I'll change that soon since I'm getting bored of the machines anyways.
The only way to get good at the compound lifts is PRACTICE!... you wont need excessive or dangerous weights with them (at least intially) as the simple fact that they use so many muscles simultaneously will do all the work for you. Squats with 135lb will be far more taxing than leg presses with double or more weight.

How long have you been lifting and is your primary goal more strength or size focused? I have some programs I've given (for a few bucks) to many of the guys here to run that have seen great results both strength and size wise based on a PPL style split and PHAT style structure for sets/reps... Shoot me a pm if you want and we can work something out if you're interested!