Opinions on Leucine

VWMeatHead

VWMeatHead

Awards
So I've always seen a good deal about supplement with Leucine (with each meal, post workout, etc ).

My question is, if I'm getting adequate protein throughout the day, would there be any tangible benefit from adding more Leucine to my daily regimen?

Do any of you do this?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
So I've always seen a good deal about supplement with Leucine (with each meal, post workout, etc ).

My question is, if I'm getting adequate protein throughout the day, would there be any tangible benefit from adding more Leucine to my daily regimen?

Do any of you do this?
If you are getting adequate protein each day there is no great benefit to supplementing with additional leucine.

It may be handy if you happen to train fasted though, as part of an EAA/BCAA mix that can be sipped pre and intra workout, but other than that I'd save your money.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed. If you find it for a good price though it won't hurt supplementing it in.

VWMeatHead

VWMeatHead

Awards
I suppose if I was doing fasted cardio I would just use my regular BCAA drink.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
No need to buy bulk leucine. Remember that you need the additional aminos to help facility optimal synthetic responses

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Layne Norton advocates taking 3-5g Leucine between meals to jumpstart protein synthesis. Google for his work (pretty sure he did hi PhD on this subject)

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Layne Norton advocates taking 3-5g Leucine between meals to jumpstart protein synthesis. Google for his work (pretty sure he did hi PhD on this subject)
Yeah, but MPS undergoes a refractory period after ingestion of 3-5g of leucine (from a meal or otherwise) of 4-6 hours. So unless you were utilizing longer periods of fasting I don't know that it would be of benefit.

. L.E. Norton, D.K. Layman, faseb, 21, pp. 694-696 (2007).

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Up until recently, I dosed 3g of Leucine ~30min before any protein powder use because of the Churchward-Venne study. The log book and body comp measurements didn't justify further purchasing. Your protein sources should be good enough, given adequate amounts.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think I recall Dr.D advocating higher luecine intake with meals and whatnot... I'll have to do a search see if I find anything

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
No one asked meal frequency?

Biggest factor for me if I did or did not use leucine.
Though I would use an EAA+ BCAA mix with a high leucine ratio, like AminoIV already is for me.

If you are eating 3 meals a day there is likely a spot you can fit it in, but add in snacks and you may be fine.
Or add 1-3g leucine with your snacks to get them optimal as well.

All of that is assuming you want to be very perfectionist about your diet and timing in the first place. You will grow just fine without it

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
No one asked meal frequency?

Biggest factor for me if I did or did not use leucine.
Though I would use an EAA+ BCAA mix with a high leucine ratio, like AminoIV already is for me.

If you are eating 3 meals a day there is likely a spot you can fit it in, but add in snacks and you may be fine.
Or add 1-3g leucine with your snacks to get them optimal as well.

All of that is assuming you want to be very perfectionist about your diet and timing in the first place. You will grow just fine without it
To be fair, I did state that MPS refractory period is 4-6 hours post leucine ingestion and that there would be a use for leucine if an individual had periods of fasting exceeding that 4-6 hour timeframe.

: )

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
To be fair, I did state that MPS refractory period is 4-6 hours post leucine ingestion and that there would be a use for leucine if an individual had periods of fasting exceeding that 4-6 hour timeframe.

: )
Yessir you added good points

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I suppose if I was doing fasted cardio I would just use my regular BCAA drink.
No real merit for fasted cardio either.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/2209/layne-smashes-the-myth-of-fasted-cardio/
http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html
http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-3-discussion-afterthoughts.html
Only time you would need fasted cardio is if you were using Yohimbine (Plus caffeine to enhance its effects)

May as well do cardio fed. Leucine could be used if you do not meet a 3-4g Threshold at a meal or used between meals spaced 4-6 hours apart as a bolus. if your meeting proper protein intake daily , not really necessary

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah its so affordable too. we offer bulk leucine for cheap.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
But then there is the practical side: I could never imagine running 3 miles on a full stomach. HIIT? If "fed" means I can't tell I ate, than ok - but for me anyway, I'd probably puke doing sprints with food in me. Also, it seems every day the data switches back and forth on this - Shoenfeld shows this, and another study will show that, etc... I do know that Lonny Lowery hooked himself up to a Metabolic Cart and looked at fed vs fasted, and said fasted showed greater loss - he mentions it occasionally on 'Iron Radio'. +1 on the Yohimbine aspect though - yup.

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
Echoing above if i remember correctly a study i seen stated 4g maxed out protein synthesis, so anything over 3-5g will just be a waste of money and product. Alot better or more efficacious ingredients to choose from if your protein requirements are being met.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
But then there is the practical side: I could never imagine running 3 miles on a full stomach. HIIT? If "fed" means I can't tell I ate, than ok - but for me anyway, I'd probably puke doing sprints with food in me. .
Nobody said you had to eat right before a cardio workout
if you aim like 60-90 minutes prior and focus on proper nutrition and getting some carbs around HIIT you should be fine.
Do you think swimmers go into a meet with no fuel in the tank? i highly doubt it
Endurnace runners going to go run a marathon on an empty? I highly doubt it.
Set yourself up for optimal performance.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Do you think swimmers go into a meet with no fuel in the tank? i highly doubt it
I agree, but I only do cardio for the heart, and to hopefully mobilize fat/burn calories for TDEE, so not really worried about peak performance cardio. But you are spot on for endurance athletes - back in the day, we'd suck down Cytomax in the Military before runs and during road marches (up to 24 miles).

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good answers and discussion in here. I bought bulk leucine and never ended up using it lol.

I just keep my protein and macros in line and I do need to be better about utilizing a BCAA/EAA blend in the mornings since I generally fast (just makes thyroid med dosing easier).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Nobody said you had to eat right before a cardio workout
if you aim like 60-90 minutes prior and focus on proper nutrition and getting some carbs around HIIT you should be fine.
What is optimal? And is comparing an elite level performer to someone looking to lose fat a fair comparison? During a meet or race, the idea is to win - not lose weight. Performance is necessary if performance is what you're seeking.

If I run on a treadmill, I dont weigh myself and then replenish water after a race. I dont eat gel packs midway through. I dont urinate in the cup holder to save time. I just run. It doesnt need to be 'optimal' for that.

An athlete also dedicates his/ her life to the sport - in many cases their practices are impractical or damn near impossible for the average joe with a job and life outside of the gym.

I always have leucine in hand and dump a small amount into a inch of water and shot it back with each meal. Nothing extreme, nothing fancy, just easy and convenient.