old school training vs new

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
So my general take on the whole versus is this
oldschool- lots of volume, heavy, lots of juice little cardio

New school-heavy, low volume, lots of juice

In the end I like the body type of the old more, Im not a fan of powerlifters in bodybuilding comps.

Besides many of them built muscle before hormones, John Grimmek for one

Now Im more interested in the 70's to 80's style

I have been dc training and getting thicker for sure, stronger but my joints are trashed! I need a lighter higher volume phillosophy.

Any interesting ideas on a training method? GVT i did it once but only on keto so Im sure that was a bad idea, i lost to much strength.

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
off to the gym to hit what I hope to be the last dc night, leave me enlightened

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
What are your training goals? That will make a difference in your training programming. I'm a fan of working up to some heavy sets of 1-5 reps on your main movement to build strength and then doing some lighter, higher volume work to build the muscles used in the main movement. In my opinion this allows you to get the best of both worlds. As long as you use a reasonable plan and progression scheme for the heavy main movements, you shouldn't have any major joint or injury problems.

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
my goal is more muscularity, I really dont want to weigh more than I currently do, I would like to compete in some small comps in the under 200pound division. I want more vascularity, muscularity, symmetry. Im big frank zane fan, going for the little waist, my lt width needs work. I honestly would like some finess style bodybuilding, I could care less about strength I just want better body composition.
What are your training goals? That will make a difference in your training programming. I'm a fan of working up to some heavy sets of 1-5 reps on your main movement to build strength and then doing some lighter, higher volume work to build the muscles used in the main movement. In my opinion this allows you to get the best of both worlds. As long as you use a reasonable plan and progression scheme for the heavy main movements, you shouldn't have any major joint or injury problems.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
create your own routine. here is what i do. i have the same goals as you. i want a bodybuilding look with strength, not just fat and bulky like a power lifter. the most important philosophy is CHANGING YOUR REPS weekly or every other week.

Mon - Chest 12 sets 4 exercises
Tues - back with deads
wed - off
thurs - legs with shoulders
fri - arms
weekend - off

i cycle through workout routines, and i create all of mine. one week ill do high reps 12 to 15, sometimes more....the next i will go reps 4 to 6 followed by a week of 8 to 12. always confusing my body. and i never to the same workout week after week (BB bench week one, then DB bench week 2). FOR ME, confusing my body is my natural version of a steroid. it does wonders for me. dont focus on weight, focus on perfect form with as much weight as u can do (with perfect form)

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
my goal is more muscularity, I really dont want to weigh more than I currently do, I would like to compete in some small comps in the under 200pound division. I want more vascularity, muscularity, symmetry. Im big frank zane fan, going for the little waist, my lt width needs work. I honestly would like some finess style bodybuilding, I could care less about strength I just want better body composition.
If this is your goal I would modify my previous suggestion slightly. I would still work up to a heavy (but not necessarily all-out) set of 5 on your main movement for the day (SQ, DL, bench, overhead press) then do a couple of back off sets of 10-15 reps staying at least a couple reps short of failure. I think doing the set of 5 is still important since increasing your strength over time will allow you to use more weight on your other isolation exercises and thus give you more muscle building potential. After the main exercise do more isolation work with higher reps and shorter rest periods to get the volume necessary to increase muscle mass. You can customize this assistance work to hit the areas you need to bring up weak points or keep the proportions you want. With this type of system a simple split (arranged in whatever order you want) would be as follows (4 days per week)
Legs (SQ + lower body isolation, abs optional)
chest/triceps (BP + isolation work for the pecs and triceps; some biceps optional)
back + biceps (DL + pull-ups/pulldowns and rows, biceps; abs optional)
shoulders (overhead press + various lateral raises including rear delt work; some light triceps optional depending on what you did on chest day)

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the suggestions guys, im in pct for another two weeks once thats over im switching my routine up, I want the low volume of dc to recover alright in pct.
If this is your goal I would modify my previous suggestion slightly. I would still work up to a heavy (but not necessarily all-out) set of 5 on your main movement for the day (SQ, DL, bench, overhead press) then do a couple of back off sets of 10-15 reps staying at least a couple reps short of failure. I think doing the set of 5 is still important since increasing your strength over time will allow you to use more weight on your other isolation exercises and thus give you more muscle building potential. After the main exercise do more isolation work with higher reps and shorter rest periods to get the volume necessary to increase muscle mass. You can customize this assistance work to hit the areas you need to bring up weak points or keep the proportions you want. With this type of system a simple split (arranged in whatever order you want) would be as follows (4 days per week)
Legs (SQ + lower body isolation, abs optional)
chest/triceps (BP + isolation work for the pecs and triceps; some biceps optional)
back + biceps (DL + pull-ups/pulldowns and rows, biceps; abs optional)
shoulders (overhead press + various lateral raises including rear delt work; some light triceps optional depending on what you did on chest day)

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
nice to see somebody with my goals, bodybuilders who arent power lifting is hard to find because of cutler, coleman and yates. Your phillosophy seems oldschool and I like it. I, going to try each of your guys suggestions.
create your own routine. here is what i do. i have the same goals as you. i want a bodybuilding look with strength, not just fat and bulky like a power lifter. the most important philosophy is CHANGING YOUR REPS weekly or every other week.

Tues - back with deads
wed - off
fri - arms
weekend - off

i cycle through workout routines, and i create all of mine. one week ill do high reps 12 to 15, sometimes more....the next i will go reps 4 to 6 followed by a week of 8 to 12. always confusing my body. and i never to the same workout week after week (BB bench week one, then DB bench week 2). FOR ME, confusing my body is my natural version of a steroid. it does wonders for me. dont focus on weight, focus on perfect form with as much weight as u can do (with perfect form)

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
I am the form stickler, so many guys at the gym get mad when I correct them lol

Tues - back with deads
wed - off
fri - arms
weekend - off

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
create your own routine...
^^^This - it's what I do (and have done for years). And if you don't know how to do it, get a trainer who WILL individualize everything specifically for YOUR goals and needs!

~Rosie~

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nice to see somebody with my goals, bodybuilders who arent power lifting is hard to find because of cutler, coleman and yates. Your phillosophy seems oldschool and I like it. I, going to try each of your guys suggestions.

one main thing that has helped me TONS is changing reps in a time period of three weeks. for example

Week 1 - reps 4 to 8

Week 2 - reps 8 to 12

Week 3 - reps 10 to 15 with lots of super/drop sets

this seems to hit all muscle fibers. works well for me!

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Heres my thought.

Present: There is a lot more research on training. New machines. New types of ways of working out.

We have learned that no one is the same. Yes, there is the basics of working out. But everyone is different and it only takes time to figure out how our body responds to different work outs.

SO i think if your body responds well to old school training. then have at it, But if not try something different. IT doesnt matter what your taking, just eat, your body stays the same training wise....