Nitrates: Good for pumps Bad for Thyroid?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
with the amount of products now containing nitrates for pump. how does this possibly affect our hormones.

Granted below is a rat study, we should all discuss this though and see if it truely is something we want to consume.

ScienceDirect - Toxicology Letters : Impact of nitrate intake in drinking water on the thyroid gland activity in male rat

Impact of nitrate intake in drinking water on the thyroid gland activity in male rat
A. Zaki[SUP]a[/SUP], A. Ait Chaoui[SUP]a[/SUP], A. Talibi[SUP]b[/SUP], A.F. Derouiche[SUP]c[/SUP], T. Aboussaouira[SUP]d[/SUP], K. Zarrouck[SUP]d[/SUP], A. Chait[SUP]e[/SUP], T. Himmi[SUP]a[/SUP][SUP], [/SUP]http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378427403003825#COR1[SUP], [/SUP][SUP][/SUP]

Purchase

[SUP]a[/SUP]Laboratoire de Physiologie Animale, Faculté des Sciences et Techniques, Université Cadi Ayyad, Béni Mellal, Morocco

[SUP]b[/SUP]Service d’Endocrinologie, Hôpital Provincial, Béni Mellal, Morocco

[SUP]c[/SUP]Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Lipoprotéines, Faculté des Sciences Ben M’sik, Casablanca, Morocco

[SUP]d[/SUP]Laboratoire d’Anatomie Pathologique, Faculté de Médecine et de Pharmacie, Casablanca, Morocco

[SUP]e[/SUP]Laboratoire d’Ecophysiologie, Faculté des Sciences Semlalia, Marrakech, Morocco

Received 13 May 2003; revised 30 September 2003; Accepted 2 October 2003. Available online 10 December 2003.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of nitrate on both the activity of the thyroid gland and other biological parameters. After 5-month treatment, nitrate 150 and 500 mg/l induced a significant decrease in the serum level of thyroid hormone T3. For T4, the 500 mg/l dose only reduced its plasma level. On the other hand, nitrate induced a dose-dependent increase in the weight of the thyroid gland. The histological study of the thyroid gland shows vacuolisation and an increase in the size of the follicles accompanied by a flatness of follicular epithelium with nitrate 150 and 500 mg/l. We concluded that the presence of high concentrations of nitrate in drinking water influence the growth, induce morpho-functional modifications of the thyroid gland and might be considered as a goitrigenic factor.

Keywords: Tadla-Azilal; Nitrates; Rat; Thyroid gland; Thyroid hormones; Goitre

Granted some food contains Goitrogens, however, cooking them removes most of it and it doesnt cause issue..

BigGunn

BigGunn

Awards
with the amount of products now containing nitrates for pump. how does this possibly affect our hormones.

Granted below is a rat study, we should all discuss this though and see if it truely is something we want to consume.

ScienceDirect - Toxicology Letters : Impact of nitrate intake in drinking water on the thyroid gland activity in male rat

Impact of nitrate intake in drinking water on the thyroid gland activity in male rat
A. Zaki[SUP]a[/SUP], A. Ait Chaoui[SUP]a[/SUP], A. Talibi[SUP]b[/SUP], A.F. Derouiche[SUP]c[/SUP], T. Aboussaouira[SUP]d[/SUP], K. Zarrouck[SUP]d[/SUP], A. Chait[SUP]e[/SUP], T. Himmi[SUP]a[/SUP][SUP], [/SUP]http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378427403003825#COR1http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378427403003825#COR1[SUP], [/SUP][SUP][/SUP]

Purchase

[SUP]a[/SUP]Laboratoire de Physiologie Animale, Faculté des Sciences et Techniques, Université Cadi Ayyad, Béni Mellal, Morocco

[SUP]b[/SUP]Service d’Endocrinologie, Hôpital Provincial, Béni Mellal, Morocco

[SUP]c[/SUP]Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Lipoprotéines, Faculté des Sciences Ben M’sik, Casablanca, Morocco

[SUP]d[/SUP]Laboratoire d’Anatomie Pathologique, Faculté de Médecine et de Pharmacie, Casablanca, Morocco

[SUP]e[/SUP]Laboratoire d’Ecophysiologie, Faculté des Sciences Semlalia, Marrakech, Morocco

Received 13 May 2003; revised 30 September 2003; Accepted 2 October 2003. Available online 10 December 2003.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of nitrate on both the activity of the thyroid gland and other biological parameters. After 5-month treatment, nitrate 150 and 500 mg/l induced a significant decrease in the serum level of thyroid hormone T3. For T4, the 500 mg/l dose only reduced its plasma level. On the other hand, nitrate induced a dose-dependent increase in the weight of the thyroid gland. The histological study of the thyroid gland shows vacuolisation and an increase in the size of the follicles accompanied by a flatness of follicular epithelium with nitrate 150 and 500 mg/l. We concluded that the presence of high concentrations of nitrate in drinking water influence the growth, induce morpho-functional modifications of the thyroid gland and might be considered as a goitrigenic factor.

Keywords: Tadla-Azilal; Nitrates; Rat; Thyroid gland; Thyroid hormones; Goitre

Granted some food contains Goitrogens, however, cooking them removes most of it and it doesnt cause issue..
This ought to be interesting. I am content to be a fly on the wall on this one. Let the "objectivity" commence...

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sub'd to hear the discussion.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it's a rat study.....but i'd rather see what's going on in the playground before i get on the swing if you know what i mean. Subbed.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Hmmm ....this seems interesting. Im subbed for responses also

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
always been a little leary of nitrates even though i took a bottle of creatine nitrate.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As a guy who's been using lots of nitrates... I'm sub'd

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As a guy who's been using lots of nitrates... I'm sub'd
I am sure that in almost every thread where something gets put in the spotlight you are in there with "I have been doing this" lol.

Nitrates, DAA, sunbeds, eating plastic bottles. ;)

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am sure that in almost every thread where something gets put in the spotlight you are in there with "I have been doing this" lol.

Nitrates, DAA, sunbeds, eating plastic bottles. ;)
anal beads...

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
he pm'd me on a different forum under the classifieds and asked me if i could use them. he guaranteed me they were still sealed and stored in a dry dark environment. I told him I wasn't interested and I don't do those.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
lets not retract from topic.

for all we know he can be using nitrates as suppository..........

But how does it effect thyroid. maybe Dr H or PA will chime

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
There can be several 'fates' of nitrates.

1.Nitrate --> Nitrite (by bacteria in the gut)
2. Nitrate--> intestinal absporption --> bloodstream

There will be the eventual reduction into nitric oxide of either compound.
Excess Nitric oxide promotes hypertrophy of the thyroid tissue because it seems to mimic the effect of
an iodine deficient diet. (through various mechanisms, but for the point of pragmatism, I'll keep it like this)

If you are that concerned, one can always keep their iodine intake a little higher.
I for one, am not that terribly intimidated. As most developed countries have an excess of most nutrients at their disposal. I do, however, see excess nitrate intake a silly idea for people in developing countries (where food maybe scarce) and non-athletes. Unless a particular organic nitrate is prescribed for the heart, or whatever.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I asked the question about nitrates and there relationship to cancer several months ago over at Thermolife as they produce a who series of nitrate related supplements. I was quoted a whole host of studies showing the safety of these products.

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
I asked the question about nitrates and there relationship to cancer several months ago over at Thermolife as they produce a who series of nitrate related supplements. I was quoted a whole host of studies showing the safety of these products.
For the sake of the thread, you might as well re-post em! Or at least give the link to the post(s) on the previous thread?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3499306

Pigs but still

[h=1]Growth impairment caused by dietary nitrate intake regulated via hypothyroidism and decreased somatomedin.[/h]Jahreis G, Schöne F, Lüdke H, Hesse V.
[h=3]Source[/h]Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Children's Hospital, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, German Democratic Republic.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]The effect of 2 days or 6 weeks administration of the diet containing 3 per cent potassium nitrate on serum level of thyroxine (T4), triiodothyronine (T3), nitrate, methemoglobin and somatomedin activity was investigated in piglets aged 56 days. Sufficient iodine intake by mothers prevented a decrease of T4 level in piglets after 2 days administration of nitrate. However, after 6 weeks of nitrate administration a striking decrease of T4 level was found (average level less than 10 nmol l-1) which could not be prevented even by the addition of 0.5 mg iodide per kg diet. No adaptation to nitrate administration was observed. After long-term administration of nitrate a significant decrease of serum somatomedin activity was found which also showed a positive correlation with a decrease of body weight gain.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Not to mention BABY pigs.
blah blah.

still need to find human studies.

but too much iodine increases TSH in humans.

add nitrates (while taking iodine to lower effect of thyroid diminishing) and you have a recipe for poor functioning thyroid.

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
I'd still like to see something that isn't in a baby animal; and some sort of mechanism behind it.

Also, I'm not geared to buy into something from the indian journal of physiology...

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
I'd still like to see something that isn't in a baby animal; and some sort of mechanism behind it.

Also, I'm not geared to buy into something from the indian journal of physiology...
Agreed, even simple multis could be very dangerous towards infants, although I feel multis are a waste in general.

200mg Vit C and nitrates are ok in my book

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established

i agree, believe me i do. Spikes interest in how it would affect humans.

and LOL professor lol