nerve pain - sciatica

DNasteee

Awards
I'm in the middle of some nasty nerve pain from sciatica shooting down my right leg (stems from disc issue).

DR has me on steroid and pain meds but for more long term relief/maintenance are there any supps out there?

I know there's nerve restore but I can't find a place where it's available. anything else in general?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Listen to your doctor. There isn't a supplement for your disc issue. Rest and heal.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
Yeah nothing out there will help you. If there was a pill to cure sciatica I would know about it.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No supplements out there are going to fix this or help more than pain meds and steroid injections. Is it something that can be corrected with through physical therapy, chiropractor, or surgery?

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Your family Dr cannot help you. See a chiro who treats lifters.

gironda1

Awards
I had a really bad bout of sciatic pain last year. It was bad enough that I couldn't stand up for longer than an hour without crippling pain. I found the combination of red vein kratom and Jamaican Dogwood help me deal with a majority of the pain. Also capsaizin rubbed onto the area with the most pain kept me working through the whole ordeal. Took several months for it to totally go away but the things I've listed above, once I found them all to be effective, started reducing the pain within days to a tolerable level. Seriously...good luck. the bout I had felt like hell on Earth...hope you get yours under control.

DNasteee

Awards
thanks guys, to be more specific I'm seeing a pain management DR right now, I have confidence in him as he was well reviewed and has previously worked with , professional athletes to some extent. I'm on oxycodone and prednisone (pills), have had no injections yet. have an mri in a day or 2 to determine sciatica, but I do know from previous mri last year I have disc issue.

DNasteee

Awards
thanks guys, to be more specific I'm seeing a pain management DR right now, I have confidence in him as he was well reviewed and has previously worked with , professional athletes to some extent. I'm on oxycodone and prednisone (pills), have had no injections yet. have an mri in a day or 2 to determine sciatica, but I do know from previous mri last year I have disc issue.
also the pain has been ongoing for a few months now, I previously shrugged it off as a minor gym injury as it was just a full ache. more recently it got much worse hence the DR visits. I'm spending most of the day laying flat to avoid being on my feet for too long

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you're taking oxycodone, I would be extremely cautious about what additional supplements you take, especially anything for pain.

DNasteee

Awards
If you're taking oxycodone, I would be extremely cautious about what additional supplements you take, especially anything for pain.
thanks for heads up, yeah I'm not trying to mess around with oxy for too long for obv reasons. my original motivation for post was for taking something for maintenance/long term use once done with the oxy. def not looking to combine.

will also explore chiro DR and acupuncture.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
thanks for heads up, yeah I'm not trying to mess around with oxy for too long for obv reasons. my original motivation for post was for taking something for maintenance/long term use once done with the oxy. def not looking to combine.

I was a skeptic of chiropractors for years and then found one that helped a back injury that I had for a fairly long time. You'll find ones that are all new age and crystals and crap, but you'll also find ones that can really help serious injuries. Ones that are associated with sports therapy/rehab clinics are usually a good bet!

bigsmall

Banned
Awards

Your pain mgt Dr cannot help you. Go to a chiro that lifts and does lifters. He can relieve your pain in moments and then tell you what to do - to become bullet proof. No pills are going to help bro...get off the oxy asap and please heed my advice.

monsterish

monsterish

Awards
I've had bad scatia nerve pain for 5 years now. Nothing will take the pain completely away. But I've noticed that staying active ie. Going to the gym 5+ times a week really helps keep me lose and minimizes the pain in my lower back and legs. I also stretch daily. I refuse to take narcotics for the pain so I can't comment on that side of things

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Go to a chiro... I am kind of surprised you made it to a pain management doctor before seeing a chiro. Could possibly be fixed in one adjustment... or greatly alleviated. Doctors either want to prescribe, or cut on you. That or refer you to someone else to cut on you. Orthopedic surgeons also want to cut on you. So if you see one they will suggest shots or surgery. Go see a chiro, and or someone who does soft tissue and muscle work because the muscles will often need to be worked on to get them back to the size and shape they should be to hold your hips and spine in the correct position. If it hadn't been so long that might not be needed but it has been a while so it is likely the muscles have adjusted themselves to the displacement in your spine.

Also look up sciatica stretches on youtube there are tons of corrective exercises you can do that help "re-thread" the nerver through the hole it passes through in the muscles. Basically pulls it through and "unsticks" it which helps it to be less impinged.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I'm surprised they would prescribe oxy for something like this. I have found pain killers did not help me at all with sciatica. I'm doing much better now, but to be honest - I would never attempt a deadlift ever again. Sounds crazy but you get used to it.

DNasteee

Awards
hey guys, so quick update, I'm off the oxy and getting a steroid shot directly in the area later today. slowly progressing as I'm able to avoid pain meds for up to 8 to 9 hours now and slightly more active.
being doing some stretches which slowly help as well.
question though, when I'm well enough to go to the gym, any particular exercises that could help the muscles in that area? was thinking lower back extensions, leg extensions/hamstring, etc. was thinking of easing into so low resistance machine exercises to that general area.
last thing I want to do is give up the gym in general, I just want to be smart though about my approach

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know this is related to a disk issue for the OP but, for the rest of us : A recommendation is to move your wallet from a back pocket to the front pocket. A wallet can put pressure on the nerve while sitting.

ssor331

Awards
Go to a good PT or chiro, and/or look up McKenzie extension exercises and nerve glide exercises on YouTube. I believe there is one study out there that showed agmatine may help with neruopathic pain but talk to your doctor about this (especially since it will interact with opiods).

monsterish

monsterish

Awards
hey guys, so quick update, I'm off the oxy and getting a steroid shot directly in the area later today. slowly progressing as I'm able to avoid pain meds for up to 8 to 9 hours now and slightly more active.
being doing some stretches which slowly help as well.
question though, when I'm well enough to go to the gym, any particular exercises that could help the muscles in that area? was thinking lower back extensions, leg extensions/hamstring, etc. was thinking of easing into so low resistance machine exercises to that general area.
last thing I want to do is give up the gym in general, I just want to be smart though about my approach
Honestly bro just going to the gym in general helps with the pain and stiffness. Do light squats and even deads if you feel comfortable. Back extensions im sure would help as well.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Go to a good PT or chiro, and/or look up McKenzie extension exercises and nerve glide exercises on YouTube. I believe there is one study out there that showed agmatine may help with neruopathic pain but talk to your doctor about this (especially since it will interact with opiods).
Those are the names of the exercises i was talking about. The nerve glide one is the same one I was calling the threading the nerve exercise. Good Stuff!!!!