My First Competition Prep!!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I find when I am hungry, a cup of coffee sometimes can help.
Did that yesterday.. but, coffee has never helped me curb hunger. I just have to stick it out.. Just less than a month to go. After that I am going on a nice break for a month.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You got this !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You got this !!
Looks like prep is going to get extended till March. State competition has been moved to March 2nd week. This is just getting ridiculous now. This bodybuilding association guys don’t give a damn about the competitors. It was supposed to happen on Feb 20th.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just more time to get ready :giggle:

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey, you can be fat AND have juicy muscles - we’re called powerlifters
Hahaha.. I have been thinking about doing a power building program in my off-season. I am just not having fun lifting. Stopped deadlifts and BB squats and moved into rack pulls and smith squats with 15-20 rep range. I need to lift heavy to feel good about lifting.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s been a minute since I have posted anything here.. The competition dates got pushed again.. It’s moved to 27th Feb and then state championship on 1st March.

One month apart pics. Left is today (159.2lbs) and right is Jan 5th (156.6lbs)

I honestly don’t see any changes except I am posing a bit better, I believe. Anything you all see that I don’t. Anything I can improve in? Coach says there is improvements. But, I just can’t get my head around it.

4AB15F59-7BB3-4593-8CFE-431288C39470.jpg
74B619F1-121F-47A3-B8CF-522EE23820A6.jpg
0D66E3F5-D453-439E-A10D-2D0F8B0DFA42.jpg

BB415836-F849-4242-9ED7-C36F360FC59B.jpg
339F61FE-9E91-48F7-A23A-23AF2CD94637.jpg

Last edited:
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Your legs and arms look bigger with the same detail, so in my opinion you have gained muscle, keep it up! I am proud to call you a friend!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Call it posing or whatever, but in the new pics with shorter hair your arms and upper body look bigger in the side chest, side Tri, most muscular shots for sure. I can’t see anything appreciably different between the front & back lat spread shots.

Your arms especially look a bit bigger, honestly.

Conditioning seems pretty similar, which means you haven’t screwed anything up at all at a minimum. Stay the course!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Call it posing or whatever, but in the new pics with shorter hair your arms and upper body look bigger in the side chest, side Tri, most muscular shots for sure. I can’t see anything appreciably different between the front & back lat spread shots.

Your arms especially look a bit bigger, honestly.

Conditioning seems pretty similar, which means you haven’t screwed anything up at all at a minimum. Stay the course!
you’re spot on about the back and front lat spread. But, I felt my conditioning has improved may be a tad bit and just a bit more muscle maturity.. Specially on side shots, legs split looked better

2B5EB1B1-8AB1-46D7-B841-945E453BFA5B.jpg

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looking awesome mate! Your side pose is way better: showing better shoulder and tri separation and abdominal anatomy!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looking awesome mate! Your side pose is way better: showing better shoulder and tri separation and abdominal anatomy!
That’s true.. even I like my side poses better.. makes my frame look bigger. Front shots shows every weakness of my body.. small frame, less roundness, low detail.. waiting for my first off season to really put on some size..

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That’s true.. even I like my side poses better.. makes my frame look bigger. Front shots shows every weakness of my body.. small frame, less roundness, low detail.. waiting for my first off season to really put on some size..
Sorry, I meant your side pose has improved. Netter spread through the obliques in the after shot.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That side triceps shot is awesome

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That side triceps shot is awesome
Took that one from the one and only Hunter Labrada.. been looking into CBum and Hunter’s routine. Any other suggestions. I really need to try different ways and see which one fits better with my frame.

IMG_8476.JPG

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No man I’d say you do look good from the front; you don’t look small that way. You simply aren’t as large as some of the more advanced guys yet. But you are unmistakably a bodybuilder now and you do look good in the front poses. I also like your upper back a lot too.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No man I’d say you do look good from the front; you don’t look small that way. You simply aren’t as large as some of the more advanced guys yet. But you are unmistakably a bodybuilder now and you do look good in the front poses. I also like your upper back a lot too.
I need time under the bar and a lot of growth. Hopefully a couple of off-season to get to the level where I can stand with some good bodybuilders. This is my first year (10 months) anyway.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You are well on your way !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well. Life has been a motha feckn roller coaster since couple weeks. Went off the track a bit because of stress. Just getting back to a normal mental state.

I haven’t stopped training. But, because of the stress, I started eating dark chocolate and peanut butter and what not. Still didn’t gain any weight. May be a little bit of water. Back on track now.

Was called in by the cops a few times because of my drunk bast@rd father who has been relentlessly mentally (he got physical a couple times) harassing mom and I went to resist him. Came at me with a knife to stab me. It’s just messed up.

I kinda broke down a couple times because of what’s happening at home and work has been crazy busy, my prep on the other side and my nasty divorce. But still steering through all this shyte and trying to keep it straight.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Stay strong brother and is if there is anything I can do to help out please let me know. You Got Friends !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Stay strong brother and is if there is anything I can do to help out please let me know. You Got Friends !!
I am staying as strong as I can. I hated it when I derailed a bit. But, I just couldn’t stop eating those stuff. Just another 9 days to go.. I have to win!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am staying as strong as I can. I hated it when I derailed a bit. But, I just couldn’t stop eating those stuff. Just another 9 days to go.. I have to win!
What’s done is done. Focus on the now, which is exactly what you can respond to. Repeat this affirmation to yourself:

“Today is the day, now is the time, I am the one!”

You must believe in your ability to succeed in life! You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by remaining positive. If you keep sailing through the storm, eventually you will always reach calmer waters. Just keep going!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What’s done is done. Focus on the now, which is exactly what you can respond to. Repeat this affirmation to yourself:

You must believe in your ability to succeed in life! You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by remaining positive. If you keep sailing through the storm, eventually you will always reach calmer waters. Just keep going!
Absolutely.. Not looking back to what happened or looking forward to what nasty stuff is coming my way. I just need 9 days and I am taking it by the day..

I truly believe that I can succeed, Hyde.. I do.. My work and my mind is all set only because I believe in myself.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I really like this quote !!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I really like this quote !!!
It was something I learned and implemented from the book Total Mind Body Training from Dr. Jacob M. Jordan. A Western approach to applying Eastern ideology to influence training outcomes. Helped me produce my greatest competition total so far. It discusses things like visualization, self-affirmation, rituals/cueing, breathing control to conserve and focus energy.

A lot of great coaches have their lifters practice those things. It can be applied to many aspects of life, boardroom to weight room.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The discipline you learn in the gym definitely carries over in to life !
This is 100% true. Since I truly started bodybuilding, my life outside of the gym has changed. My ego, anger and all the negative aspects of life which I carried for years have now dialed down to 1 or 2. On the flip side, discipline, focus, looking at situations objectively, patience has dialed up like 10 folds.

I was recently talking to a friend about this. I am so glad that bodybuilding has made me a better person in all aspects. Except that I am little selfish when it comes to things in bodybuilding. I give more priority to it and I take care of myself first and then others.

Don’t know if it makes sense.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Makes perfect sense, and just remember you need to take care of your self first, because if you don't you may not be around to help take care of others !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have almost decided to move on from my current coach and have someone more conservative and have a better approach who gels with my ideas as well.

The main reason is, the amount of gear I have been using and I think the unwanted cardio and depleting me very soon and hard till show day when I was in shape.

@Hyde @Smont any recommendations? Or anyone else in the forum? I am not looking for an Indian coach anymore. I don’t think my thought process matches with any I spoke to. They love pushing more drugs.. and I want to see how food and training helps me get the look I need on stage.

Need help. I need someone who is not too expensive. Just because, I live in India and earning isn’t the same as in the US comparatively.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I have almost decided to move on from my current coach and have someone more conservative and have a better approach who gels with my ideas as well.

The main reason is, the amount of gear I have been using and I think the unwanted cardio and depleting me very soon and hard till show day when I was in shape.

@Hyde @Smont any recommendations? Or anyone else in the forum? I am not looking for an Indian coach anymore. I don’t think my thought process matches with any I spoke to. They love pushing more drugs.. and I want to see how food and training helps me get the look I need on stage.

Need help. I need someone who is not too expensive. Just because, I live in India and earning isn’t the same as in the US comparatively.
I can't think of top of my head but il ask around, Im no bodybuilder but I got a lot friends that are. I do actually know of 2 indian guys that are trainers and what you said sounds about right. There diet models are crap and they seem to really push oral steroids and I think I know why, think about it. If you do t know how to get someone growing or in shape, what has the fastest cosmetic changes. Orals do.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can't think of top of my head but il ask around, Im no bodybuilder but I got a lot friends that are. I do actually know of 2 indian guys that are trainers and what you said sounds about right. There diet models are crap and they seem to really push oral steroids and I think I know why, think about it. If you do t know how to get someone growing or in shape, what has the fastest cosmetic changes. Orals do.
Thank you. Please let me know. I just can’t and don’t want to push more drugs into my system. After March 1st, my rebound and off-season starts. It would be great to have someone who knows what to do.

I have been on orals for 40 weeks now Anavar and Stana 80mg each.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thank you. Please let me know. I just can’t and don’t want to push more drugs into my system. After March 1st, my rebound and off-season starts. It would be great to have someone who knows what to do.

I have been on orals for 40 weeks now Anavar and Stana 80mg each.
That's fukin insanity

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's fukin insanity
I know. I had to tell him couple weeks ago that I don’t feel good taking 75mg test suspension everyday on top of everything I am already taking.

But, I know nothing about drugs to even manipulate the dosage..

I connected with Luke Miller today, who does podcast with John Jewett. I shared my current plan and I saw him cringe over video call. He’s charging 1770 for 6 months. It may not be a lot for folks in the US. But, that’s a lot of money for someone like me from India. However, if I can’t find anyone who kinda have the same approach like Luke, I’ll probably borrow and just do it because I want to do this and also think about my health and longevity in this sport.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I know. I had to tell him couple weeks ago that I don’t feel good taking 75mg test suspension everyday on top of everything I am already taking.

But, I know nothing about drugs to even manipulate the dosage..

I connected with Luke Miller today, who does podcast with John Jewett. I shared my current plan and I saw him cringe over video call. He’s charging 1770 for 6 months. It may not be a lot for folks in the US. But, that’s a lot of money for someone like me from India. However, if I can’t find anyone who kinda have the same approach like Luke, I’ll probably borrow and just do it because I want to do this and also think about my health and longevity in this sport.
Bro, thats a lot for anyone, but unfortunately coaching is expensive. I've heard of stuff from $1200 for 6 months to $6000 for 6 months. If I were you I would back off everything except testosterone and get healthy, do a little offseason on test and another injectable where you can stay healthy and push the food and then get yourself a prep coach for when it's time to get show ready.

From the few guys I know and whit I hear from others, a good coach pushes food high and drugs low to moderate to grow and the big cycles come in around contest time.

Il get back to you. Idk how helpful it will be but I can definitely find you a few options to look into

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bro, thats a lot for anyone, but unfortunately coaching is expensive. I've heard of stuff from $1200 for 6 months to $6000 for 6 months. If I were you I would back off everything except testosterone and get healthy, do a little offseason on test and another injectable where you can stay healthy and push the food and then get yourself a prep coach for when it's time to get show ready.

From the few guys I know and whit I hear from others, a good coach pushes food high and drugs low to moderate to grow and the big cycles come in around contest time.

Il get back to you. Idk how helpful it will be but I can definitely find you a few options to look into
Yeah. That’s exactly what Luke said too.. it will be HRT dosages and just push food and training volume or intensity high to put on new tissue.

This will be my first off-season and I want to learn from a coach first and see. That’s why I am not leaving the idea of having a coach.

Thanks, my man. Please let me know on the coach.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@Mathb33 no idea what your coaching costs, but if you are satisfied with it and can discuss that could be helpful.

A lot of big name coaches, from Dante Trudel to Matt Jansen (for his regular clients) have basically just said off-season growth is generally push as much test as the individual comfortably handles, then maybe one other compound at a small dosage and that’s it.

Say a guy gets on with 500-800 test and then adds 100-200 deca. Tons of clean food, 1-4 iu of HGH, and hard heavy training take care of the rest. Vigorous Steve (he does take clients) likes test and some primo basically and he is very health conscious. He’s also in Thailand so he may be cheaper.

The show is when calories come down and gear goes up and aggressive compounds come in, but never off-season. Some coaches do some Dbol or Anadrol in off-season but that’s going to be individual and I’d worry about how they affect bloods when making that call.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good Info !

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
General consensus seems to be to stay away from the really big name coaches that deal with the Olympia type guys because many of them will still have affordable online coaching but your not really getting coached by them. You're getting handled by someone who works for them and the experience is not remotely close to what they would do with a guy they saw potential in turning pro and being a threat on the big stage. Mike van wyck is one you might look into, another is beau baidin? I don't know the spelling but I think he's the guy that is on the leo longevity podcast sometimes with Boston loyd. Another guy mentioned skip hill, he's kinda old-school and the modern day guys would call him outdated but he seems to get guys in great shape and make some gnarly transformations with ppl. Jonnie Sherive has online coaching but it looks kinda cookie cutter and is about 750 for 3 months. That's all I was told. I basically sent a text to 2 ppl and that's the quick response I got.

I'm actually texting one of them now who I know is going to be more help.

By the way I told him about your 40weeks on orals, he said you need to get your coaches address.

Take a trip to his house and kick him directly in the dyck

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
@Mathb33 no idea what your coaching costs, but if you are satisfied with it and can discuss that could be helpful.

A lot of big name coaches, from Dante Trudel to Matt Jansen (for his regular clients) have basically just said off-season growth is generally push as much test as the individual comfortably handles, then maybe one other compound at a small dosage and that’s it.

Say a guy gets on with 500-800 test and then adds 100-200 deca. Tons of clean food, 1-4 iu of HGH, and hard heavy training take care of the rest. Vigorous Steve (he does take clients) likes test and some primo basically and he is very health conscious. He’s also in Thailand so he may be cheaper.

The show is when calories come down and gear goes up and aggressive compounds come in, but never off-season. Some coaches do some Dbol or Anadrol in off-season but that’s going to be individual and I’d worry about how they affect bloods when making that call.
Dante and Matt are out of my league. I did check them out. If I had the finances, Matt would have been my first choice and then Ben Chow.

I’ll check out Vigorous Steve. Thanks, man.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dante and Matt are out of my league. I did check them out. If I had the finances, Matt would have been my first choice and then Ben Chow.

I’ll check out Vigorous Steve. Thanks, man.
Dante & Matt are not people you should use, sorry if I conveyed that. Like Smont said, avoid the big names generally.

Justin Harris grew under Dante and he is super intelligent, & fundamental - you might make an inquiry there. He’s a big believer in driving food. @Swanson52 got some successful diet coaching under Skip Hill; I have always enjoyed Skips articles on EliteFTS. Guys has many decades of experience, so he may be too pricey at this point but you can always ask.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
General consensus seems to be to stay away from the really big name coaches that deal with the Olympia type guys because many of them will still have affordable online coaching but your not really getting coached by them. You're getting handled by someone who works for them and the experience is not remotely close to what they would do with a guy they saw potential in turning pro and being a threat on the big stage. Mike van wyck is one you might look into, another is beau baidin? I don't know the spelling but I think he's the guy that is on the leo longevity podcast sometimes with Boston loyd. Another guy mentioned skip hill, he's kinda old-school and the modern day guys would call him outdated but he seems to get guys in great shape and make some gnarly transformations with ppl. Jonnie Sherive has online coaching but it looks kinda cookie cutter and is about 750 for 3 months. That's all I was told. I basically sent a text to 2 ppl and that's the quick response I got.

I'm actually texting one of them now who I know is going to be more help.

By the way I told him about your 40weeks on orals, he said you need to get your coaches address.

Take a trip to his house and kick him directly in the dyck
Wow! Thank you so much, brother. This has been so helpful you have no idea. Hyde shared a couple names and now I have a couple coaches from you as well. Let me reach out to them and take it from there.

Hahaha.. Me moving out of his coaching will be a kick in his ass anyway.

He sent me the diet plan. Again, zeeerooo carbs till carb loading day and we are still keeping all the drugs till one day out from the show (till Friday). I have asked him if we can taper down the dosage and training for pump so that we manage fatigue. I’ll wait till he responds and share with you here..

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dante & Matt are not people you should use, sorry if I conveyed that. Like Smont said, avoid the big names generally.

Justin Harris grew under Dante and he is super intelligent, & fundamental - you might make an inquiry there. He’s a big believer in driving food. @Swanson52 got some successful diet coaching under Skip Hill; I have always enjoyed Skips articles on EliteFTS. Guys has many decades of experience, so he may be too pricey at this point but you can always ask.
Contacted Justin Harris. His coaching fee structure is definitely in my alley if I consider the annual package. Asked him for a short consultation to decide. I want to get started right after my last show gets over, which is on March 1st.

Thanks for suggesting Justin.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Contacted Justin Harris. His coaching fee structure is definitely in my alley if I consider the annual package. Asked him for a short consultation to decide. I want to get started right after my last show gets over, which is on March 1st.

Thanks for suggesting Justin.
I believe he was trained by Dante at one point, but he’s a very cerebral guy too beyond just adding weight to the bar. I believe he went back to school years ago for nuclear physics or something brainy, just because he wanted to pursue it. But eventually his coaching side job became so intense he quit his day career to focus on his true passion.