Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Like mainly his training and diet philosophies?

I been trying to get into his stuff lately

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What do you guys think about Mike israetal?
Smart dude, I don’t see why his diet & training methodology wouldn’t work, but if you get diet coaching through Renaissance Periodization you won’t be working with Mike. And I don’t know they will be doing drug protocols or competition peaks likely either. More of a professional multi-employee company.

Makes some great videos on YouTube and good sense of humor too.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mike is a pretty smart guy. After contacting with Vigorous Steve, Justin Harris and Luke Miller, I think Justin looks great. Did some research on him and in other message boards. Vigorous Steve isn’t taking new clients.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Smart dude, I don’t see why his diet & training methodology wouldn’t work, but if you get diet coaching through Renaissance Periodization you won’t be working with Mike. And I don’t know they will be doing drug protocols or competition peaks likely either. More of a professional multi-employee company.

Makes some great videos on YouTube and good sense of humor too.
I wasn't asking about getting personal coaching from him. I was just curious what everyone thinks of him overall

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Mike is a pretty smart guy. After contacting with Vigorous Steve, Justin Harris and Luke Miller, I think Justin looks great. Did some research on him and in other message boards. Vigorous Steve isn’t taking new clients.
Steve not taking clients and I believe his prices went way up when his YouTube popularity went up.

I like Steve's Approach to gear use, it's not as innocent as he makes it sound on YouTube but it's still extremely"safe" in comparison to everyone else.

Start super lowdose, alternate between raising calories and gear, let the bloodwork tell you when it's time to end the cycle. Stuff like that.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Steve not taking clients and I believe his prices went way up when his YouTube popularity went up.

I like Steve's Approach to gear use, it's not as innocent as he makes it sound on YouTube but it's still extremely"safe" in comparison to everyone else.

Start super lowdose, alternate between raising calories and gear, let the bloodwork tell you when it's time to end the cycle. Stuff like that.
I asked my coach about getting blood work done after my first stage and he said, don't do it everything will be out of whack. So, no point looking into it. Jesus Christ. I am now realizing that, I am the idiot.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I asked my coach about getting blood work done after my first stage and he said, don't do it everything will be out of whack. So, no point looking into it. Jesus Christ. I am now realizing that, I am the idiot.
That's when you want to see it, you want to know what it looks like at its worst. Seeing it at its best does nothing for you.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your coach is a fukin moron. I don't know much if anything about coaching a bodybuilder but I know a lot about what's important for the health and longevity of ones ability to run cycles.

It's people like that guy who do a bunch of stupid shyt and screw ppl up, then everyone will blame steroids when something bad happens.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your coach is a fukin moron. I don't know much if anything about coaching a bodybuilder but I know a lot about what's important for the health and longevity of ones ability to run cycles.

Exactly.. It's not too expensive to get blood work done here.. I was just following his instructions like a moron when I knew in my head I should get my blood work done.

It's people like that guy who do a bunch of stupid shyt and screw ppl up, then everyone will blame steroids when something bad happens.
I am going to stop getting coached by him after this show. That's for sure.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Some pics from today AM fasted posing..

going zero carb from today for another 3 days is what coach said.. drugs and training intensity remains the same..

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You are looking great !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your looking good bro! Except for that mustache lol, it's creeping me out.

How far out is the show, you look pretty damn close
Thanks man.. Everyone asked me to sport the mush coz it looks good on me apparently.. hahaha..

Show is on 26th and state show on 1st. Got to win the district/county show..

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks man.. Everyone asked me to sport the mush coz it looks good on me apparently.. hahaha..

Show is on 26th and state show on 1st. Got to win the district/county show..
It looks fine, I got a OCD thing with myself, I can do a mustache with a goatee, I can do a mustache with a full beard or a chin strap. But I can't do the mustache with no other facial hair.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It looks fine, I got a OCD thing with myself, I can do a mustache with a goatee, I can do a mustache with a full beard or a chin strap. But I can't do the mustache with no other facial hair.
I’ll look like an asshole with a goatee.. I am just keeping the Stache for competition. After that, stubble.. that’s what I like

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
The stache looks great, and you always look like you feel like a million bucks in these photos. And you're in absolutely amazing shape, so you have every reason to rock that stache and smile with that "check this out" look in your eyes. :LOL:

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The stache looks great, and you always look like you feel like a million bucks in these photos. And you're in absolutely amazing shape, so you have every reason to rock that stache and smile with that "check this out" look in your eyes. :LOL:
Can’t show the suffering outside.. hahaha..

This was in Dec I think. “The worried-constipated” look.. lol

IMG_4568.JPG

Had to really put effort into smiling with every pose.. but, you’re right.. I am right now at ‘check me out’ phase.. because I want to win this championship and take home the victory..

I don’t know if I sound arrogant. But, I just am really determined to win.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
He does, he always looks super happy 👍

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Even though at the stage you're in I'm sure you feel miserable. Your almost there bud, soooo close

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Where your current calories at
Good question. Actually, I wanted to get some feedback on that. Here is my meal plan.

Before you dissect, let me say that I don’t do 30gms of BCAA and 10gms of leucine, pre cardio, as per the plan. I think that’s just ridiculous, stupid and unnecessary. I also don’t do 30gms pre-workout.

I also don’t do whey pre-bed. Instead, add a bit extra chicken or fish to each meal to get the overall protein intake as per the meal plan.

What I do is 1 scoop EAAs Intra cardio and no BCAAs pre workout. But, I do add BCAAs throughout the day so that I drink enough water. I just can’t get down plain water.

IMG_9504.JPG

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Even though at the stage you're in I'm sure you feel miserable. Your almost there bud, soooo close
Thanks man. I feel I am at much better shape than a month ago as well.

Yeah, I am generally a positive and happy person..

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Good question. Actually, I wanted to get some feedback on that. Here is my meal plan.

Before you dissect, let me say that I don’t do 30gms of BCAA and 10gms of leucine, pre cardio, as per the plan. I think that’s just ridiculous, stupid and unnecessary. I also don’t do 30gms pre-workout.

I also don’t do whey pre-bed. Instead, add a bit extra chicken or fish to each meal to get the overall protein intake as per the meal plan.

What I do is 1 scoop EAAs Intra cardio and no BCAAs pre workout. But, I do add BCAAs throughout the day so that I drink enough water. I just can’t get down plain water.

View attachment 212963
I agree was pretty much everything you said lol, I'm also the same as you, I can get a gallon and a half of water down if I mix it with flavored aminos or some Crystal light or something like that. But just plain water on its own is a f****** chore for me to get more than a half a gallon per day

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I agree was pretty much everything you said lol, I'm also the same as you, I can get a gallon and a half of water down if I mix it with flavored aminos or some Crystal light or something like that. But just plain water on its own is a f****** chore for me to get more than a half a gallon per day
But, do I have to go no carbs? Before this, I was at 30gms carbs a day post workout only. My coach wanted to do pre-workout, but I told him I’ll do post.. I was already kinda depleted since 2 weeks before this diet.

Is this the right approach?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
But, do I have to go no carbs? Before this, I was at 30gms carbs a day post workout only. My coach wanted to do pre-workout, but I told him I’ll do post.. I was already kinda depleted since 2 weeks before this diet.

Is this the right approach?
I couldn't tell you, I know some guys who keep their carbs right up till show day and actually a good amount, and I've seen other guys diets that look like yours but without the aminos and shakes, all meat and vegetables the final few weeks. Il send it to my boy and see what he thinks, I already know he's going to talk about having to know your client and stuff like that to determine how the diet goes but I'm just curious what he thinks about absolutely no carbs. And I find it weird to go no carbs but then throw all those aminos in there because aminos do spike your blood sugar.

I know a lot about losing weight/fat and gaining weight/muscle or gust getting in shape. But there's a big difference between putting someone through a body transformation and getting someone shredded for a bodybuilding competition.
It's a totally different ballgame

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like the Full Beard !!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Another thing too, I got to start dieting like ASAP. But I've got a specific weight class to make and I've got to maintain a certain level of energy and strength in the process. So even though I need to drop like 25lbs, I don't need to do it the same way that you do. Your appearance at the end of your cut is the most important thing, at the end of my cut making weight and a physical performance are the only things that matter. You want to hold on to as much muscle as possible while you're dieting and I actually probably might need to lose a little bit of muscle to fit more comfortably into my weight class and be a little more mobile. While I'm not some huge guy, but when I'm standing in the boxing ring I don't exactly look like a boxer. I look more like a light heavyweight MMA guy who's probably on performance enhancing drugs

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I couldn't tell you, I know some guys who keep their carbs right up till show day and actually a good amount, and I've seen other guys diets that look like yours but without the aminos and shakes, all meat and vegetables the final few weeks. Il send it to my boy and see what he thinks, I already know he's going to talk about having to know your client and stuff like that to determine how the diet goes but I'm just curious what he thinks about absolutely no carbs. And I find it weird to go no carbs but then throw all those aminos in there because aminos do spike your blood sugar.

I know a lot about losing weight/fat and gaining weight/muscle or gust getting in shape. But there's a big difference between putting someone through a body transformation and getting someone shredded for a bodybuilding competition.
It's a totally different ballgame
Absolutely.. I totally understand that it's not really going to be possible to tell exactly. But, looking at where I am at right now, I did a small experiment yesterday. My last meal I did 45gms of oats with 40gms of whey. In the morning, I felt nice and full. Those are the posing pic I posted today because the previous day I felt flat in the morning.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, if you are depleted/flat going into your load the show weekend you will hypercompensate and be able to store more glycogen (READ: BE MORE FULL ON STAGE) when you finally introduce them. You need the depletion to get the ability to store that extra 10-20% over normal maximum.

So eat the amount of carbs that will get you totally flat before you begin loading. This will be little to none.

When I am doing a weight cut for a competition, carbs are always dropped completely for me - basically all protein, besides some nuts and oils to dial in total calories - several days out (before the watercut, & before the reload day).

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, if you are depleted/flat going into your load the show weekend you will hypercompensate and be able to store more glycogen (READ: BE MORE FULL ON STAGE) when you finally introduce them. You need the depletion to get the ability to store that extra 10-20% over normal maximum.

So eat the amount of carbs that will get you totally flat before you begin loading. This will be little to none.

When I am doing a weight cut for a competition, carbs are always dropped completely for me - basically all protein, besides some nuts and oils to dial in total calories - several days out (before the watercut, & before the reload day).
That's exactly what my coach has me doing now. But, for the first stage, he didn't want me to load too much as well. So, I wouldn't say there was a hyper compensation. I just wish he would show me the peak week plan so that I know what's in store and then talk to him about it and understand it better.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You are going to have to suffer, and be flat for a while. Then the trick is loading up optimally without going overboard and spilling over. Better to be a little less full day of show, than end up a water buffalo & ruin the ability to see all of your hard work getting lean to show your muscles well.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You are going to have to suffer, and be flat for a while. Then the trick is loading up optimally without going overboard and spilling over. Better to be a little less full day of show, than end up a water buffalo & ruin the ability to see all of your hard work getting lean to show your muscles well.
I have no problem in suffering. But, I like to see the plan before hand and then make adjustments if and when necessary. At least I know what the plan is. I just need to see a plan.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lat's insert nice and low !!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That's exactly what my coach has me doing now. But, for the first stage, he didn't want me to load too much as well. So, I wouldn't say there was a hyper compensation. I just wish he would show me the peak week plan so that I know what's in store and then talk to him about it and understand it better.
I can only speak on what my buddies have told me here because I don't compete. But typically peak week is only necessary when you're not ready, it's when your trying to pull a miracle to fix a problem. You should be ready a week out so that you just need to fill out right before the show with some carbs and your gtg. Now that sounds like what the coach has planned. But typically there's a couple of carb loads leading up to the show so the coach knows how much to carb you up without spilling over.

Ps. I wanted to throw something out there. If your coach has some crazy last minute diuretic concoction for you tell him to **** off, that's how ppl die at there shoes and it's a really serious thing. If he's got you taking a half a dyazide or something that's not a big deal but please don't just blindly take a bunch of diuretics if you don't understand them. A year or 2 ago when all those females where dropping at there shoes it was from crazy diuretic use

Just because I know how he pushed orals so hard it worries me he's gonna pull some **** with those

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I worded that kinda wrong with the peak week. Of course there's a peak week but what I was getting at is they shouldn't need to do anything crazy

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I worded that kinda wrong with the peak week. Of course there's a peak week but what I was getting at is they shouldn't need to do anything crazy
I asked him about water and sodium manipulation. We are not doing it till weigh-in day, which is on Friday. He has told me to drink same amount of water and salt till then. Last time I took Aldactone 50mg a day before weigh-in and 25mg Aquazide. Then another same dosage couple hours before weigh in.

He’s being very cryptic with his response. And I just don’t feel like asking anything anymore. I’ll just wait.

Added: Just asked if I can stop training by Thursday. One day before carb loading. He said, I’ll let you know.

Last edited:
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I asked him about water and sodium manipulation. We are not doing it till weigh-in day, which is on Friday. He has told me to drink same amount of water and salt till then. Last time I took Aldactone 50mg a day before weigh-in and 25mg Aquazide. Then another same dosage couple hours before weigh in.

He’s being very cryptic with his response. And I just don’t feel like asking anything anymore. I’ll just wait.

Added: Just asked if I can stop training by Thursday. One day before carb loading. He said, I’ll let you know.
I think his answer is valid, It may depend on hoe you look that day ????

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know your coach, but I will say you do look incredible !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think his answer is valid, It may depend on hoe you look that day ????
Not really.. can't train till the last day.. body needs to recover.. I am still going full bore in the gym since he has asked me to.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not really.. can't train till the last day.. body needs to recover.. I am still going full bore in the gym since he has asked me to.
Man it’s the final week. Don’t overdo the cortisol.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@jtmass I'm sure I have ask you this before, but what do you do for a living ?

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Man it’s the final week. Don’t overdo the cortisol.
This was exactly what I told my coach. I just wanted to do pump work and let me body look a bit fresh from weeks of training hard.

I finally called him up and asked what the plan is. I know I am holding water. So, after that, coach has asked me to stop training after today (Wednesday). Water has been reduced and no salt. Now, peak week begins.

He was under the impression that I wanted to look bigger on stage and that’s why he didn’t do anything in water manipulation till now. That’s anyway his explanation.

Seems like a miscommunication. But, glad I called him and cleared it out.