Magnesium

JayNY2Fla

Awards
Magnesium supplement. Stand alone just magnesium. Looking for the best quality most absorbent brand out there with good results . I have just finished Magnesium Glycinate by Carlyle. But don’t wanna use it again. I’m looking for the best quality Magnesium to take. I been told Now Foods and Drs Best make good products. Looking for some feedback and experiences. Thanks

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Magnesium supplement. Stand alone just magnesium. Looking for the best quality most absorbent brand out there with good results . I have just finished Magnesium Glycinate by Carlyle. But don’t wanna use it again. I’m looking for the best quality Magnesium to take. I been told Now Foods and Drs Best make good products. Looking for some feedback and experiences. Thanks
Both NOW and Doctor's Best are solid brands for vitamins, minerals and other ancillary supplements.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know this isn't just magnesium but I would recommend a good quality ZMA supplement such as the one below:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Both NOW and Doctor's Best are solid brands for vitamins, minerals and other ancillary supplements.
This^^

I use Doctors Best Magnesium Glycinate (pills and powder) most frequently, but will be switching to SNS ZMA when my current bottle runs out (because I want the extra Zinc as well).

Just keep in mind you want to look for a decent Magnesium (probably avoiding Oxide due to stomach discomfort), but that some people may prefer specific forms. Glycinate may help with sleep for some, but is also probably one of the more expensive. As long as you get a decent form make sure you are targeting the amount of actual Magnesium you want and not getting confused by the total ingredient amount (2000mg of Magnesium Glycinate will be 200mg of elemental Magnesium). If a company can't label their minerals properly or doesn't understand this I'd avoid that brand.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To add to my previous comment, I use NOW's Magnesium Malate in the morning and Doctor's Best Magnesium Glycinate before bed.
I also use Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 and NOW's Zinc Glycinate.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I personally use ZMA XT myself.

If looking for a single ingredient Magnesium, the first thing would be to pick which type you want because different types of Magnesium may be better for different things. I personally have tried different ones and never notice the differences myself that some people say they can tell between the types. I always wind up going back to ZMA XT because I like taking Zinc before bedtime too and it has it all in one and nice and simple for me.

But as to brands, if looking for single ingredient Magnesium supplements, then NOW Foods and Doctors Best would be good brands.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Wally World had Qunol magnesium glycinate on sale not too long ago, stocked up about a half a years worth. NOW and Doctors Best would be solid options as well.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wally World had Qunol magnesium glycinate on sale not too long ago, stocked up about a half a years worth. NOW and Doctors Best would be solid options as well.
Not trying to promote Costco but they have a huge bottle of magnesium citrate that could also be another option. Kirkland brand.!

JayNY2Fla

Awards
This^^

I use Doctors Best Magnesium Glycinate (pills and powder) most frequently, but will be switching to SNS ZMA when my current bottle runs out (because I want the extra Zinc as well).

Just keep in mind you want to look for a decent Magnesium (probably avoiding Oxide due to stomach discomfort), but that some people may prefer specific forms. Glycinate may help with sleep for some, but is also probably one of the more expensive. As long as you get a decent form make sure you are targeting the amount of actual Magnesium you want and not getting confused by the total ingredient amount (2000mg of Magnesium Glycinate will be 200mg of elemental Magnesium). If a company can't label their minerals properly or doesn't understand this I'd avoid that brand.
Thank you bro. Always appreciate your help

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thank you bro. Always appreciate your help
I know glycinate is a popular form of magnesium and a lot of people recommend it, but glycine keeps me awake. Even the relatively small amount in mag glycinate interferes with my sleep. Keep an eye out for that if you want to use it in the evening. Most people will not have this issue, glycine actually has potential to improve sleep, but for some, it’s not great.

JayNY2Fla

Awards
I know glycinate is a popular form of magnesium and a lot of people recommend it, but glycine keeps me awake. Even the relatively small amount in mag glycinate interferes with my sleep. Keep an eye out for that if you want to use it in the evening. Most people will not have this issue, glycine actually has potential to improve sleep, but for some, it’s not great.
Yeah I been taking it at night before bed with no issues. Now I used to take ZMA way back years ago no issues. I tried again bout two months ago and it was keeping me awake which was very odd idk what was going on. I was debating on trying it this Friday night and seeing what happens

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah I been taking it at night before bed with no issues. Now I used to take ZMA way back years ago no issues. I tried again bout two months ago and it was keeping me awake which was very odd idk what was going on. I was debating on trying it this Friday night and seeing what happens
It's important to note that some brands now use different forms of magnesium and zinc than what the original ZMA formulas used. Not all formulas called ZMA are the same thing.

JayNY2Fla

Awards
It's important to note that some brands now use different forms of magnesium and zinc than what the original ZMA formulas used. Not all formulas called ZMA are the same thing.
That can possibly be the reason it was keeping me awake. I’d fall asleep for like 30 mins and wake up be up for 30 mins fall back asleep this went on for a couple days and I just stopped. I don’t even think I’ll bother with it again.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That can possibly be the reason it was keeping me awake. I’d fall asleep for like 30 mins and wake up be up for 30 mins fall back asleep this went on for a couple days and I just stopped. I don’t even think I’ll bother with it again.
I'm not sure if you mean you probably wont' fool with the one that you have again or meant that you wouldn't fool with ZMA in general again. If you meant that as negative towards ZMA in general, then you may have missed the point that I was trying to make - which is not to discount actual real ZMA products by mistakenly lumping them all together.

There are many great ZMA formula on the market that help improve restful sleep, immune system support, etc.

Before I even mentioned ZMA in the thread myself, several others had already mentioned liking and positive experiences iwth our ZMA XT product, which is the one that I use myself.

JayNY2Fla

Awards
I'm not sure if you mean you probably wont' fool with the one that you have again or meant that you wouldn't fool with ZMA in general again. If you meant that as negative towards ZMA in general, then you may have missed the point that I was trying to make - which is not to discount actual real ZMA products by mistakenly lumping them all together.

There are many great ZMA formula on the market that help improve restful sleep, immune system support, etc.

Before I even mentioned ZMA in the thread myself, several others had already mentioned liking and positive experiences iwth our ZMA XT product, which is the one that I use myself.

I’m not sure what you don’t get. It’s clear. A 10 yr old can understand. I said fall a sleep. Whats not clear ? I said I can’t fall sleep from it. U said companies use different mixes and ingredients. I replied well maybe that’s possibly why I couldn’t sleep then stated the sleep pattern I was getting. What’s the issue man. What don’t you understand. Ya babbling bout BS and idk what ya even talking bout while constantly trying to shove sns products down every bodies throat. It’s aggravating as fk dude.

GothamsReckoning

GothamsReckoning

Awards
I’m not sure what you don’t get. It’s clear. A 10 yr old can understand. I said fall a sleep. Whats not clear ? I said I can’t fall sleep from it. U said companies use different mixes and ingredients. I replied well maybe that’s possibly why I couldn’t sleep then stated the sleep pattern I was getting. What’s the issue man. What don’t you understand. Ya babbling bout BS and idk what ya even talking bout while constantly trying to shove sns products down every bodies throat. It’s aggravating as fk dude.
SNS makes a couple of good products you can use to get the estrogen under control

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You know, there's really no reason to be a jerk.

I've taken a lot of time to help answer your questions about different types of supplements because I thought you actually wanted to learn about them. Most people here, with this being a supplement forum, actually appreciate input and learning about the different types of supplements, including the forms of minerals and which ones do what, etc.

In your own post, you said you didn't even know what I was talking about - that was the point, I was trying to explain to you and others reading what a lot of people don't realize about ZMA.

What I was trying to say was that if you liked it the first time you took it, but it kept you awake the last time you took it - if you used a different brand, it may have contained different forms of zinc or magnesium and that may have been why you responded differently to it.

A lot of people do not realize that there are different forms of Zinc, different forms of Magnesium, and different forms of B6. Some forms of Magnesium are meant to be energizing and some forms are meant to help you sleep.

You said yourself that when you used ZMA years ago it didn't, but when you tried it again, it kept you awake.

So I tried to help make sure that you understood that when ZMA first came out, every supplement calling itself ZMA contained the same forms of zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6. But now days, they don't - brands use the ZMA abbreviation now days but include different forms.

I wasn't the first person to mention ZMA XT in this thread; it just happens to be the same ZMA as the original ZMA's were and it's a great price. NOW Foods also has a ZMA that is like the original ZMA.

My point was that if ZMA originally affected you one way and you tried it again and it affected you differently, it may be because the type you bought more recently had different forms of zinc or magnesium than the original type you tried.

It's ironic that you say I'm pushing SNS products when I've mentioned probably 5 to 10 brands in threads that you've posted asking questions about supplements in. Ones that I can think of include - NOW Foods, Natures Way, Doctors Best, Life Extension, Iconic Formulation, Ketogenics, Trutein, and Innovapharm.

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used to use Powder City ZMA, but that taste was brutal. They used oyster extract for the zinc and it was really fishy. I've been using some Wally world brand and it's alright. I'm gonna order some SNS stuff next. I've always taken it with all my other vitamins in the morning and never got drowsy. Of course I drink my morning coffee at the same time lol!
I've known a lot of people that took ZMA XT with their morning vitamins. Nothing wrong with that at all.

It helps some people with sleep quality, but doesn't really make you sleepy imo.