Magnesium

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For sleep purposes does the type really matter?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
someone like @sns8778 knows ingredients far better than I.
In the past I usually grabbed the cheapest zma I could find and typically slept hard with occasional vivid dreams.
I picked up some dissolvable melatonin this year which has done a fantastic job as well, but if I have both zma + melatonin I wake up really hard.

the last month or so I've not really needed either sleep aid since using the xpg alpha gel though.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I have not tried the glycine version yet, wasn't sure if worth the extra price.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What dosage to you shoot for with glycinate?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Broadly type does not matter, improving sleep and insomnia with Magnesium tends to be viewed as being done by alleviating deficiencies.

Not all forms of Magnesium are absorbed as well and that may also be more or less tolerated depending on the individual.

That said I prefer Magnesium Glycinate before sleep as Glycine may also have some benefits for sleep and this form seems to be absorbed well and does not cause any side effects (like stomach discomfort) for me.

I take 4000mg of Magnesium Glycinate which provides 400mg elemental Magnesium.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In the past I usually grabbed the cheapest zma I could find and typically slept hard with occasional vivid dreams.
I picked up some dissolvable melatonin this year which has done a fantastic job as well, but if I have both zma + melatonin I wake up really hard.

the last month or so I've not really needed either sleep aid since using the xpg alpha gel though.
I take ZMA XT myself before bedtime and it helps with sleep, recovery, and immune health.

ZMA XT is top quality and hard to beat for the price.

If wanting to take just magnesium, or getting theoretical with ideal form for sleep, I would say glycinate for some people - but I honestly tried it and I found that ZMA XT worked better for me personally, easier on my stomach, and less expensive.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I agree with the price and quality, works great for me. I respect your advice so I will stay with this. Have run out months ago.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah I agree with the price and quality, works great for me. I respect your advice so I will stay with this. Have run out months ago.
Thank you.

I have tried some different forms of magnesium just to see if I can tell the differences over the years, and ZMA XT works best for me and is the best value.

The last time we had run out of ZMA XT, I had tried glycinate before bedtime and it didn't work as well for me. I know on paper, it looks like a great form for sleep, but that wasn't the reality for me. I wound up actually buying a bottle of ZMA XT back from a retailer for myself.

I've had a lot of issues the last year with brain fog, but on a level that is hard to explain - because I think it is a combination of post concussion issues from the accident plus having had Covid not long after the accident, and having a lot of the symptoms of long Covid. I had tried Magnesium Threonate over the years several times, and never could tell a difference with it. I tried it again last year and earlier this year for the brain fog issues, just thinking - maybe it would help, and honestly I couldn't tell a difference.

I think that Magnesium is one of those things that as an ingredient, it is a great ingredient and does a lot. But as far as forms, some people may see results with the advanced forms for specific things, but for most of us, ZMA XT covers our bases on Zinc, Magnesium, and B6 at a great price and works great.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thank you.

I have tried some different forms of magnesium just to see if I can tell the differences over the years, and ZMA XT works best for me and is the best value.

The last time we had run out of ZMA XT, I had tried glycinate before bedtime and it didn't work as well for me. I know on paper, it looks like a great form for sleep, but that wasn't the reality for me. I wound up actually buying a bottle of ZMA XT back from a retailer for myself.

I've had a lot of issues the last year with brain fog, but on a level that is hard to explain - because I think it is a combination of post concussion issues from the accident plus having had Covid not long after the accident, and having a lot of the symptoms of long Covid. I had tried Magnesium Threonate over the years several times, and never could tell a difference with it. I tried it again last year and earlier this year for the brain fog issues, just thinking - maybe it would help, and honestly I couldn't tell a difference.

I think that Magnesium is one of those things that as an ingredient, it is a great ingredient and does a lot. But as far as forms, some people may see results with the advanced forms for specific things, but for most of us, ZMA XT covers our bases on Zinc, Magnesium, and B6 at a great price and works great.
Ya for Magnesium I think finding the cheapest version that gives you the benefit you want should be the way to go. I also didn't notice a ton with Threonate.

SHORSE

SHORSE

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

what do you think of the xpg alpha gel ?

SHORSE

SHORSE

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take ZMA XT myself before bedtime and it helps with sleep, recovery, and immune health.

ZMA XT is top quality and hard to beat for the price.

If wanting to take just magnesium, or getting theoretical with ideal form for sleep, I would say glycinate for some people - but I honestly tried it and I found that ZMA XT worked better for me personally, easier on my stomach, and less expensive.
All I use! every night, pop 3 before bed. helps with my sleep, which helps my recovery. plus it keeps me from eating anything a couple of hrs. before bed. works better on an empty stomach.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
magnesium is a great addition to any athletes sleep regime. I use ZMA every night.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
what do you think of the xpg alpha gel ?
I have 3 different things I've noticed with it

1. my itchy nipples that lasted 4 months immediately disappeared in like 2 days and never came back.
2. I'm sleeping like an absolute baby on it
3. while I never had downstairs issues before, I'll say that the rock hardedness of the disco stick last long after the song is over if you catch my drift

applies better than any other td I've used, smells fantastic, and is not irritating my skin at all. all in all I give it three thumbs up.

LucasBagoDoce

Awards
I would personally buy those magnesium blends with more than one kind of mag
Mag-threonate can cross the blood-brain barrier, for example. Easy to find a product with Glycinate and threonate. Cool to be able to enjoy both benefits

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would personally buy those magnesium blends with more than one kind of mag
Mag-threonate can cross the blood-brain barrier, for example. Easy to find a product with Glycinate and threonate. Cool to be able to enjoy both benefits
One thing I would caution with blends though is that a lot of times they are more about window dressing and throw in different types to look good on the label, but don't have efficacious dosages. Many of them, especially ones on Amazon, have also been shown to be listing the input dosages and not elemental dosages as well - which means that people buying them aren't getting the actual amount of Magnesium that they think they are.